Liverpool tactic question, complete forward vs. pressing forward

This tactic has worked pretty well for me, despite having lot of injury problems...

Thing is, Darwin Nunez seems to like to play as pressing forward instead of complete forward. And he doesn't seem to perform well as pressing forward, thus training him as CF. But is there actually big difference and what role would you folks suggest? Besides, after selling Firmino and injuries, I am short of strikers...

nunez.jpg

darwin.jpg

Nunez a CF, like a target man, mehh idk. Advanced or pressing forward might be better. Whatever it is, make sure to have it on attack to play a counter attacking tactic properly, he would be fantastic leading the line.

He's not suited to been a complete forward IMO - he's technically not that great and he's a poor decision maker. Personally, I'd play him as a pressing forward on support and allow the two wide players to make runs ahead of him. Also train his ball control as his first touch isn't good enough for a club like Liverpool. 

I don’t think it’s particular good to have all strikers on an attack duty. It’s way more effective to have them createing chances and space for each other. In your particular case I would suggest to either have the striker drop off as a support duty or if you want Nunez to lead the line, then properbly make one of the wide players a support duty.

I would also advise to re-think the role of your AP, especially if you drop the striker to a support duty. Eventhough he is on an attack duty he will not make the central runs you want from an attack duty player in that case.

Honestly as Liverpool myself i have just found that the Advanced Forward works best this version for every forward ive tried there with 2 inside forwards on the wing. Yes in theory a support striker should do well like Firmino and like previous versions of FM. But this version, maybe its just me, but AF just seems to work better.

In midfield I usually have a DM on defend, tho do find switching to halfback works well when facing 2 upfront, and BBM and a CM support in midfield. Tried several CM variations, but i just find the CM support works nicely.

I also use a lot less instructions.

On 06/03/2023 at 00:17, Sardaukar said:

This tactic has worked pretty well for me, despite having lot of injury problems...

Thing is, Darwin Nunez seems to like to play as pressing forward instead of complete forward. And he doesn't seem to perform well as pressing forward, thus training him as CF. But is there actually big difference and what role would you folks suggest? Besides, after selling Firmino and injuries, I am short of strikers...

nunez.jpg

darwin.jpg

A player's attributes how they play any role, not just the highlighted ones. Nunez is super aggressive so he will press like a PF in any role (if you stick him at RB he will still charge around still). 

Nunez isn't a complete forward. It's almost impossible to find a player who is, but the deal breaker is Decisions 11. Any "complete" role requires the player has to have superb mentals since you're letting them do/go wherever they want.

Nunez is an archetypal PF(a), as his coach you want to make the game very simple for him. Press the opponents, run in behind, bang the ball in the net. 

Your tactic may also be suffering from the rest of your midfield/frontline. You're running 3 strikers looking to score themselves, 1 roamer in midfielder as well as two playmakers. I'd recommend moving Carvalho to a facilitating role (IW(s) for example) Henderson to CM(s) and Fabinho to Halfback. Halfback will also help launch your wingbacks up the pitch. I'd move Konate from BPD to CD.

Edited by Cloud9

21 minutes ago, Sardaukar said:

Darwin seems to be hammering well as CF.

Just having ridiculous amount of injuries.

I let AI to do the training...and after last patch, I am losing all attacking guys...

But are you checking their match load/injury risk before each match? You really shouldn't be playing a guy with "heavy" match load. That's practically asking for an injury.

Edited by crusadertsar

5 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

But are you checking their match load/injury risk before each match? You really shouldn't be playing a guy with "heavy" match load. That's practically asking for an injury.

Yep, this is taken from IRL but they don't let players play in the "red zone."

Should be a relatively easy fix w/ adding some recovery days to the training schedules. If you've got a player who is injury prone already (check the coaches report) go to his individualized training and reduce it.

• 2 weeks later...

Carrillero is good for Henderson. He plays as a MEZ(A) (Go wide) in real life for some odd reason. Use Thiago as an RPM or CM(S) hold position. I'm aware they are contradictions but if you want to get the best from Thiago and Hendo. Ali on SK(S), Trent as an IWB (S) to create the triangle with Hendo and Salah (IF(A) stay Wide)) which is realistic currently. Diaz for the IF(A) cut inside with Robbo as a WB (S) and the CBs as a BPD(D) and CD(d) or a BPD(D). Fabinho either as a BWM (D) or ball-playing DM(D or S) 

• 2 months later...

Got couple of good players bought too. Unfortunately I have too many midfielders now and need another good DC(BPD) as backup.

Time to axe Milner and Oxlade after season (Keita, Firmino and Matip all wanted to in Jan).

fabio.jpg

teun.jpg

I had Gakpo play as a DLF(A) 1st season, finished 2nd top scorer behind that animal Haaland, struggled 2nd season though and found Nunez to be a lot better. Played him mainly as an AF, 20 goals just in to Jan.

I play a 4231 though

On 03/06/2023 at 21:49, Banks_87 said:

I had Gakpo play as a DLF(A) 1st season, finished 2nd top scorer behind that animal Haaland, struggled 2nd season though and found Nunez to be a lot better. Played him mainly as an AF, 20 goals just in to Jan.

I play a 4231 though

Nunez has been great as PF. Also D. Jota. 

As previous posters have pointed out, neither is Complete Forward.

I can play Henderson also as DM(DLP) since he definitely can. Thiago is better as AP. 

Having good CAR(su) balances the formation pretty well. Very few goals conceded.

Interesting choice of roles.

Nunez is not the worst CF, but as stated above, three attacking roles is a bit too much. CFs could do it but with this formation and tactical setup (short passes, WBIB)  CFs should be someone who is a very good creative passer.

What we think about CF is a sort of target man, but with quick feet, good passing and excellent finishing, so the game thinks that to be a good CF you need at least some sort of target man qualities (especially decent height/size and heading ability). It actually isn't so, because your CF could perform well enough without being threat in the air.

Let's look on your tactics once again. There's not a lot of crosses coming towards him when passing is set to short and WBIB instruction. Your players don't cross nearly enough to use his height.

What's more important is how he could link up with two IFa-s. CFs could do it, but he needs to be able to hold up the ball, have a good vision and passing. He has the size and vision, but passing is a bit poor to give those sweet through balls into the box that your IFa-s could feed from. 

I remember using midfield roles DMCd, DLPs and CMa when playing 4-3-3. 

• 2 weeks later...