Low wages

It's been a factor on top managers being employed later in the game I've brought it up before yet it still persists like many more daft scenarios.

Guardiola leaves City for Juventus and then to Liverpool on wages far lower than what he's on at the start of the game, it happens with Klopp, Zidane etc. But I see it happens with players too.

FM has put the Mbappe free transfer to Real Madrid yet he earns £275,000 pw which is less than the wage £375,000 pw Haarland earns from an £118,000,000 transfer to City. A free transfer for a player of Mbappes value would surely command at least £500,000 as PSG pay Messi £850,000 pw, Real are paying Benzema more and the skint Barca pay  Griezmann £300,000.

Pretty standard FM stuff unfortunately, the absolute peak wages get massively flattened down, meanwhile the lower end wages get massively pulled up. So "overpaid" players will happily accept massive wage cuts, but your average squad player will then come along and demand his salary to be doubled and be nearly on par with what FM Messi demands.

Manager wages seem ridiculously low in general and managers tend to be way too happy to sign new jobs, so instead of top coaches taking a break and waiting for a top team to approach them they tend to jump on the best offer available at that point in time.

• 2 months later...

How about being on £150 pw at Llangefni, doing well and two coaching badges further on. Haverfordwest in the CP headhunt me offer £90 pw and top out at £110 pw, a season later new Cymru Premier champions and ''secure'' financially with £250,00 pa wage and transfer budget Connah's Quay offer £90pw. Both employ their next manager on the going rate at £250 - £300 pw.

It needs to start with realism for today first, once contracts and transfers are made in FM wages go down.

In light of my OP what did Mbappe get in his new contract IRL?  It dwarfs his FM wage when he transfers usually to an City.

What bothers me a little - situations where you offer your own player a new contract, he refuses because he wants more money and I believe he doesn't deserve it. So, I walk away and in the end of the season he signs another club for... less than he earned until now in my club.

You might say that there's a hint of realism in it - going for a bigger fish in negotiations and then finding yourself with less options once the season ends and your contract has ended.

13 minutes ago, Draakon said:

So, I walk away and in the end of the season he signs another club for... less than he earned until now in my club.

Players will ask for wages in line with what others are getting at the club. It also depends on which clubs we're talking about. Some clubs have more money (and spend more on wages) compared to others.

This is why I am very strict when it comes to contracts and how much my players earn. It can easily spiral out of control down the line if you overpay 1 or 2 players now.

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Players will ask for wages in line with what others are getting at the club. It also depends on which clubs we're talking about. Some clubs have more money (and spend more on wages) compared to others.

This is why I am very strict when it comes to contracts and how much my players earn. It can easily spiral out of control down the line if you overpay 1 or 2 players now.

I'm really anal about refusing to pay a player over £100k a week unless I absolutely have to- which often leads to having 6 or 7 players on £99kp/w and various bonuses but it helps to keep some demands in line. 

I'd love some low wages, playing as Valencia I've got 6 years in and despite my highest paid player being on £110k a week it seems everyone now wants £350k to resign. Jose Gaya apparently had us as his first choice and wanted £350k, he wouldn't negotiate any lower so he signed for Barcelona on a free for £100k a week which is exactly his current wage.... fantastic. Carlos Soler and Rodrygo both want the same kind of money and have a year left on their contracts so they are both probably going to be sold, we don't have that kind of money and those numbers are ridiculous for good but not great players.

Well, I'm also very strict with wages, despite playing my save youth only (which generally leads to massive bank balance because you don't spend anything on transfers).

But I'm always pushing wages lower, never add yearly increases to contracts and even when initial wage demands are reasonable I try to take off at least £500-£1,000 p/w. It also applies to staff wages. Pro tip: backroom staff is more willing to settle with lower wages if you extend contract period. As I'm not really interested in constant renewal of staff contracts anyway, I consider it a win win - offer everyone I'd like to keep 5 years contract length and push the wages down at the same time.

On 01/06/2022 at 11:42, Cas46 said:

I'd love some low wages, playing as Valencia I've got 6 years in and despite my highest paid player being on £110k a week it seems everyone now wants £350k to resign. Jose Gaya apparently had us as his first choice and wanted £350k, he wouldn't negotiate any lower so he signed for Barcelona on a free for £100k a week which is exactly his current wage.... fantastic. Carlos Soler and Rodrygo both want the same kind of money and have a year left on their contracts so they are both probably going to be sold, we don't have that kind of money and those numbers are ridiculous for good but not great players.

Yeah I agree that's really annoying. If it was a slight difference it would be understandable. Was he released before he agreed that? As I wonder if that affects it? 

27 minutes ago, BristolCity1992 said:

Yeah I agree that's really annoying. If it was a slight difference it would be understandable. Was he released before he agreed that? As I wonder if that affects it? 

No he agreed that in the January before he left. I've since googled this seeing as it made it basically impossible to renew half my squad and it seems it's related to how much of your wage budget is available. Not sure if this is well known but we had a budget of about £4.4m per week and were only using about £1m at the time so that is why all the players were asking for massive numbers. If you move the transfer budget/wage budget slider fully to transfer budget to minimise your wage budget then suddenly players are much more reasonable, I've had someone else asking for £375k now agree to £70k.

On 04/06/2022 at 19:42, Cas46 said:

No he agreed that in the January before he left. I've since googled this seeing as it made it basically impossible to renew half my squad and it seems it's related to how much of your wage budget is available. Not sure if this is well known but we had a budget of about £4.4m per week and were only using about £1m at the time so that is why all the players were asking for massive numbers. If you move the transfer budget/wage budget slider fully to transfer budget to minimise your wage budget then suddenly players are much more reasonable, I've had someone else asking for £375k now agree to £70k.

Interesting. Will give that a look at. I'm going to try and have a more strict wage structure on my next playthrough. I often give in to requests for playing time etc to easy and perhaps I should be a bit harder.