How would you guys use him?

image_2020-10-14_213132.png.7fae90a06078dcc0d00859363c9ca3a3.png

How would guys build a team around him? Maximizing his strengths and mitigating his weaknesses. 

He is a weird player. He has great finishing and dribbling skills and is very agile but his passing, composure and decisions are really poor. I am curious to know how would you guys use him in generic formations like 4231,433 wide, 4141 etc.

4 hours ago, mouli said:

He is a weird player. He has great finishing and dribbling skills and is very agile but his passing, composure and decisions are really poor

Only his decisions are poor (or rather average). But passing and composure are quite decent, at least as far as I am concerned. 

4 hours ago, mouli said:

I am curious to know how would you guys use him in generic formations like 4231,433 wide, 4141 etc

In my Newcastle save from FM19, I used him either as IF on attack in AML or PF on attack when played as a lone striker. The formation was 4141dm wide (a.k.a. 4123 wide). 

6 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Only his decisions are poor (or rather average). But passing and composure are quite decent, at least as far as I am concerned. 

In my Newcastle save from FM19, I used him either as IF on attack in AML or PF on attack when played as a lone striker. The formation was 4141dm wide (a.k.a. 4123 wide). 

He's unable to pick good passes if opponent are crowded around him. So I thought maybe that has to do with composure and passing. 

I too thought of using him as an attack duty but I read that they don't really get ON the ball as much as support duties. Instead attack duties attack space. And that would mean not utilizing his flair, dribbling and also he has poor concentration, off the ball so he's not that great at attacking space. 

8 hours ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

17 work rate and agression, that alone makes me want to use him as a Pressing Forward. 

Not sure about the duty, would depend on the formation and roles around him.

Don't you think though that with 17 work rate, he would press a lot regardless of the role and duty given to him? 

2 hours ago, mouli said:

He's unable to pick good passes if opponent are crowded around him. So I thought maybe that has to do with composure and passing. 

I too thought of using him as an attack duty but I read that they don't really get ON the ball as much as support duties. Instead attack duties attack space. And that would mean not utilizing his flair, dribbling and also he has poor concentration, off the ball so he's not that great at attacking space. 

Maybe you train him „runs with ball“ ppm. But in a pressing system as a cutting in from the left should be a good option (IFa/s). 

4 hours ago, mouli said:

Can someone tell me how does agility affect a player when defending and when attacking (both on the ball and off the ball)? 

If you hover over the attribute it'll tell you, it's about stopping, starting, turning, on & off the ball 

Il y a 4 heures, mouli a dit :

Don't you think though that with 17 work rate, he would press a lot regardless of the role and duty given to him? 

I'm not too sure, for example if you play him as a Treq he would still press due to his stats but he'll still do it more consistently / agressively as a PF. So role still plays a part.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

If you hover over the attribute it'll tell you, it's about stopping, starting, turning, on & off the ball 

So basically it's a quick movement attribute? Then I suppose it's only beneficial while dribbling. 

PF on attack duty since he's not strong enough to hold the ball. 

With his poor decision and visions I wouldn't use him as someone responsible for providing the "final ball" but to get to the end of them instead. Train his off the ball, first touch, anticipation, header and he will come good! Then you can use him as a Poacher as well

Edited by afailed10

8 hours ago, mouli said:

I too thought of using him as an attack duty but I read that they don't really get ON the ball as much as support duties. Instead attack duties attack space. And that would mean not utilizing his flair, dribbling and also he has poor concentration, off the ball so he's not that great at attacking space

You need to look at him and his role in the context of a tactic as a whole, not in isolation. In other words, how a player will perform does not depend solely on him and his attributes. 

5 hours ago, mouli said:

So basically it's a quick movement attribute? Then I suppose it's only beneficial while dribbling. 

Not only dribbling, off the ball too. Full backs having to turn & get back into defensive position during a transition & vice versa 

If I wanted him heavily involved i would play him as an IW on Support. 

He'll carry the ball forward into attacking positions, get in the box to score and also track back. 

Edited by _Daniel_

7 hours ago, afailed10 said:

PF on attack duty since he's not strong enough to hold the ball. 

With his poor decision and visions I wouldn't use him as someone responsible for providing the "final ball" but to get to the end of them instead. Train his off the ball, first touch, anticipation, header and he will come good! Then you can use him as a Poacher as well

That's really helpful. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, _Daniel_ said:

If I wanted him heavily involved i would play him as an IW on Support. 

He'll carry the ball forward into attacking positions, get in the box to score and also track back. 

I play fm19 so I can't choose that role in aml/r position. ☹️

8 minutes ago, mouli said:

I play fm19 so I can't choose that role in aml/r position. ☹️

Winger on Support on the left, he'll still cut inside due to his PPM and because he is right footed. I used this in FM19 and it worked nicely.

Alternatively if you play him as an inside forward on support you'll need to give him easy passing options. Overlapping full back and a defensive midfielder in easy passing reach. 

Pressing forward on attack in a counter attacking team where he can get beyond the defensive line, but I don't see him as a striker in a possession based team. 

1 minute ago, _Daniel_ said:

Winger on Support on the left, he'll still cut inside due to his PPM and because he is right footed. I used this in FM19 and it worked nicely.

Alternatively if you play him as an inside forward on support you'll need to give him easy passing options. Overlapping full back and a defensive midfielder in easy passing reach. 

Pressing forward on attack in a counter attacking team where he can get beyond the defensive line, but I don't see him as a striker in a possession based team. 

Good idea about giving simple passing options! I'll definitely keep that in mind.