Unofficial French League Superthread

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Nah I done that before for this challenge but got bored. 

I am getting a bit burnt out from FM at the moment or it might be cos of some family stuff I am going through that is making me unhappy.

I will keep going with Strasbourg and hope for a better season next season.

Sometimes a break can be a good thing. I haven't had time to play more than a handful of games with APOEL in over a week, and in my opinion it's important to keep the balance of pleasure from FM and overkill. Perhaps have a few days off, focus on some other stuff and come back refreshed. It's still a great club to be in charge of.

Best of luck with the family stuff too pal, stay strong. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Sometimes a break can be a good thing. I haven't had time to play more than a handful of games with APOEL in over a week, and in my opinion it's important to keep the balance of pleasure from FM and overkill. Perhaps have a few days off, focus on some other stuff and come back refreshed. It's still a great club to be in charge of.

Best of luck with the family stuff too pal, stay strong. 

Cheers Jogo. I lost my Nan last week and still not coping well with the loss. I appreciate the kind words.

I think I might have a break from FM for a bit. I love managing French teams and buying African players. Its usually my most fun saves.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I lost my Nan last week and still not coping well with the loss

Sorry to hear that, mate. Just remember, you're not supposed to "cope well" with the loss - it's meant to hurt because the hurt is a measure of how much she meant to you. Hang in there and it will get better.

Edited by warlock

10 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

You're welcome. I'm sure you and your family will help and support each other but it's certainly not easy, particularly this year. 

As you say, France is a great place for developing African players and I'm sure you will find the enthusiasm for it again soon :thup:

8 hours ago, warlock said:

Sorry to hear that, mate. Just remember, you're not supposed to "cope well" with the loss - it's meant to hurt because the hurt is a measure of how much she meant to you. Hang in there and it will get better.

Thank you for the kind words guys. I will do a Strasbourg update tonight on my transfer business for the season.

13 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Cheers Jogo. I lost my Nan last week and still not coping well with the loss. I appreciate the kind words.

I think I might have a break from FM for a bit. I love managing French teams and buying African players. Its usually my most fun saves.

Sorry to hear mate, take care and be strong. 

Always enjoy hearing about your various FM adventures :) 

RC Strasborg Season 3 Transfer Business

image.jpeg.43448f9bd63f2923d46d254fa64a76a2.jpeg

Transfers Out

My main transfers out was our best player Sanjin Prcic who wanted to leave for a bigger club and Newcastle made a good offer of £14m + 25% of profit on his next transfer. Very good business for the club who only paid £850k for him. I will miss him and was a great player.

Next one out the door was Lass Bangoura who was decent when he needed to be but not consistent and I sold him to Brighton for £5m. Again great business for the club as I signed him on a free transfer last season.

I also sold my first season's main strikers Zohl for £2.5m and Ajorque for £2m who was surplus to requirements now I have better players in them positions.

Other transfers out were the following.

Anthony Caci to Stade Reims for £2m

Majeed Waris to Famalicao for £1.7m

Itumelang Khune to Nimes for £575k

Jean-Ricner Bellegarde to Benevento for £500k

Joel Yeregbe to Caen for £500k

And a few minor transfers.

I managed to make £30m from player sales.

Transfers In

Ake Loba

image.thumb.png.ac1b40c342b7953476b80a6256f86da3.png

I have had this great player before with FC Metz. I know he will bang in the goals for me this time. Signed from Monterrey for £5.5m.

Samuel Grandsir

image.thumb.png.49eaa9780b830dd02b284f0e3b297c67.png

I had Grandsir last season on loan so decided to sign him for £2.2m from Monaco. A great price for a very capable player.

Tiago Araujo

image.thumb.png.715b6e4d74a494a519c6db70f91ce8fc.png

It went against my transfer policy as he is Portuguese but my DOF signed this guy and he looks like a really good player and one I can sell for profit after a season or 2. Signed him from Benfica for £1.1m.

Nkosingiphile Ngcobo

image.thumb.png.a42cfb7e36123fe3010377374b53b8d5.png

What a first name lol. I bet you couldn't say that name 10 times after a few drinks lol. 

Another great prospect from South Africa. I might look at managing South Africa in this save cos of the young, talented players. He can play anywhere in the midfield or up front. Signed for £850k from Kaizer Chiefs.

Liam Bern

image.thumb.png.f2a484182e60ba74add5bd73076a5c56.png

Another great prospect from the South African conveyor belt. A £250k signing from Ajax Cape Town. 4-5 star potential as well. A great centre back in the making. Sent him out to Dijon on loan to get experience.

Jean N'Guessan

image.thumb.png.4274ced9a15377e847332d23ed524501.png

A £200k signing from RC Abidjan. A 4-5 star potential Ivory Coast midfielder. I got high hopes for this guy.

And finally just before the transfer window closed I managed to persuade to sign a player I am very fond of and people who read my exploits with FC Metz will know exactly who the player is.

HABIB DIALLO

image.thumb.png.6324a9d37ca96bc74500c4f819cad490.png

Signed from FC Metz for £5.25m. An Absolute bargain.

@Ronaldo Beckham Welcome back after your long FM break :lol:

Quite a turnover there, but numbers aren't much different for ins and outs so it shouldn't cause any issues. Personally, I would have kept Caci, Ajorque and Bellegarde, but that doesn't mean they're great for FM! Of the new players, the ones catching my eye are N'Guessan (still with me at Lorient), whilst Loba and Diallo are both nice sentimental picks for you. Good luck for the new season! 

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

@Ronaldo Beckham Welcome back after your long FM break :lol:

Quite a turnover there, but numbers aren't much different for ins and outs so it shouldn't cause any issues. Personally, I would have kept Caci, Ajorque and Bellegarde, but that doesn't mean they're great for FM! Of the new players, the ones catching my eye are N'Guessan (still with me at Lorient), whilst Loba and Diallo are both nice sentimental picks for you. Good luck for the new season! 

Yeah I was going to have a break but I was thinking at work today who I would like to sign for Strasbourg and the 2 names that come to mind were Loba and Diallo. I didn't expect to get both.

I liked Caci and he done ok but he kept moaning about being played out of position as I had him as a left or right back and he wanted to play in the centre so I sold him. Bellegarge never got near my first team and he wanted to go for first team football so he was off and Ajorque just started getting rubbish so I sold him while I could get something for him. 

N'Guessan looks like a really good player. 

Thanks for the kind words.

August was a good month for me with 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.

image.thumb.png.4a344a1193371a4882684e2009250908.png

I really like my options up front now with Loba, Diallo, Cardona and Geubbels.

I have gone back to the 4-4-2 formation I started with and now I got 4 good strikers I am hoping they will bang the goals in for me.

Here is how I line up after the transfer window finishes.

image.thumb.png.8bf9d50b00a97214e0674cc836f8fa7d.png

image.png

@Ronaldo Beckham I had Irvin Cardona during my Clermont save. He is decent to good. I used him as a a AML-IFA and in his best season did carry the team to survive relegation from Ligue1 with about 18-20 goals. I had a lot of injury problems with him and ended up selling him before he ran down his contract.

He is a decent player in real life as well. I almost forgot about him though because Matias Palacios, Ante Palaversa, and Nael Jaby were much more impactful on my Clermont team. 

In fact Nael Jaby outperformed his stats and rating every season...he is rated 3 stars but was the best Key Passer in Ligue1 about 5 seasons in a row.

Just now, Hootieleece said:

@Ronaldo Beckham I had Irvin Cardona during my Clermont save. He is decent to good. I used him as a a AML-IFA and in his best season did carry the team to survive relegation from Ligue1 with about 18-20 goals. I had a lot of injury problems with him and ended up selling him before he ran down his contract.

He is a decent player in real life as well. I almost forgot about him though because Matias Palacios, Ante Palaversa, and Nael Jaby were much more impactful on my Clermont team. 

In fact Nael Jaby outperformed his stats and rating every season...he is rated 3 stars but was the best Key Passer in Ligue1 about 5 seasons in a row.

Didn't Cardona score that ridicilous volley the other day?

Cardona has done well for me. He got 14 goals in 31 games for me last season.

I have gone for Nael Jaby. The other 2 I am scouting.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I don't know about the Cardona strike...I live in US and my Soccer options are Premier League, MLS, and Mexican League, because I refuse to pay for ESPN+ for the German and Italian Leagues. The French and Spanish Leagues are on Bein Sports and they were dropped from my cable company (Comcast) several years ago. I used to watch Ligue1 on Friday afternoons when Bein Sports was carried by Comcast that is how I became a fan of AS Saint-Etienne.

3 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

I don't know about the Cardona strike...I live in US and my Soccer options are Premier League, MLS, and Mexican League, because I refuse to pay for ESPN+ for the German and Italian Leagues. The French and Spanish Leagues are on Bein Sports and they were dropped from my cable company (Comcast) several years ago. I used to watch Ligue1 on Friday afternoons when Bein Sports was carried by Comcast that is how I became a fan of AS Saint-Etienne.

@Ronaldo Beckham I looked for the video but I can't see it on the internet, but saw the still photos AWESOME!

9 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yes, incredible goal, I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

RC Strasbourg Season 3 Review

image.png.47deef45bf7bf4f9983df3fae0ca8777.png

So I got my enthusiasm back for FM and for my save with Strasbourg after signing my 2 favorite Strikers Habib Diallo and Ake Loba. They formed a dynamic duo with Diallo getting 16 goals and Loba getting 9 goals and 4 assists.

Diallo was the main man with some very important goals.

Habib Diallo

image.thumb.png.6328994d6e2cf052b10b9293fea61be0.png

Ake Loba

image.thumb.png.c4da1d363b92c6bed175130eca125d8f.png

I ended up 5th in the league and I got Europa League football for Strasbourg. I am happy with my team this season and feel like I got some good players that are mixing well together.

League Table

image.thumb.png.9f85eb410dac45fb15715fa505b3949f.png

Another standout player is Waniss Taibi who done his job quietly and got the best overal average rating for the club.

Waniss Taibi

image.thumb.png.4e0fad70690e9955b63d05c482349a69.png

A player I have really enjoyed progress is Duplexe Tchamba, He is 23 year old Cameroon centre back who is already 3 and half star current ability and has 4 star potential.

Duplexe Tchamba

image.thumb.png.13f67762fc372df0b25d36e93436fe1a.png

Parfait Guiagon didn't play many games but he done well when called upon. He wants to leave for a bigger club so I will have to look at selling him over the summer mostly cos of the financial situation not being very good.

Parfait Guiagon

image.thumb.png.84da17560a24aa42fefdc75c65b296c0.png

Finances

The financial projection isn't looking good so again I will have to look to sell players in the summer. I wont be selling Diallo or Loba but everyone else will be available for the right amount of money.

image.thumb.png.06542b5da50f6832a07586f2a9f31a87.png

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

I posted earlier about the board agreeing to build a new stadium and they actually went through with it. It is going to cost £108 million, it will hold 43,500 capacity and will be ready in 3 years time.

£108 million wow.

image.thumb.png.863d53ccc090de2fa70ca6979c226a05.png

The board has took out a £101 million loan to cover it. I don't know if I am happy with this but got no choice.

image.thumb.png.fbbc05081cbe0cc27e9cde157b7f8107.png

8 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I posted earlier about the board agreeing to build a new stadium and they actually went through with it. It is going to cost £108 million, it will hold 43,500 capacity and will be ready in 3 years time.

£108 million wow.

The board has took out a £101 million loan to cover it. I don't know if I am happy with this but got no choice.

Wow! You better be qualifying for Europe regularly now :lol:

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

He was good for me in the first season but I bought in better options. He will do well in Scotland and score quite a few for you. 

Playing a 442 this season so hoping he and Edouard will tear the league up. Signed him on deadline day.

Went back to my Marseille save. 

2024-2025 season was the hardest since I took over, as we were -4 on PSG with 6 games to go. I beat PSG and Lyon 2 games in a row to finish the league +1! I had 102pts (W32 D6 L0) to their (W31 D5 L1). Felt amazing!

Only thing is I am noticing my transfer budgets are staying stuck around 30M now. We made over 100M in taxable profits last year so I was hoping for more. 

52 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Went back to my Marseille save. 

2024-2025 season was the hardest since I took over, as we were -4 on PSG with 6 games to go. I beat PSG and Lyon 2 games in a row to finish the league +1! I had 102pts (W32 D6 L0) to their (W31 D5 L1). Felt amazing!

Only thing is I am noticing my transfer budgets are staying stuck around 30M now. We made over 100M in taxable profits last year so I was hoping for more. 

Well done mate. You not having a big transfer budget will make it more challenging which aint a bad thing. Good luck for next season.

@Travis Bickle Wow, an unbeaten season and pipping PSG - great stuff!

@Ronaldo Beckham Always good to get the European spots (and money) which you'll need to keep the finances straight now. I've had Duplexe at Lorient since my first season and he has been very consistent, so happy to see you sign him. Brilliant returns from Diallo, he really is a perfect transfer target for French clubs.

6 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Travis Bickle Wow, an unbeaten season and pipping PSG - great stuff!

@Ronaldo Beckham Always good to get the European spots (and money) which you'll need to keep the finances straight now. I've had Duplexe at Lorient since my first season and he has been very consistent, so happy to see you sign him. Brilliant returns from Diallo, he really is a perfect transfer target for French clubs.

Cheers Jogo. Yeah Duplexe has been good for me. Very solid in centre of defence and Diallo is awesome lol.

Strasbourg Season 4 Transfers

Transfers Out

Parfait Guiagon - Monaco - £11m - He wanted to move to a bigger club and Monaco made me the best for him. Good luck to the lad. I hope to bring him back at some point.

Birk Risa - Bournemouth - £9M - Excellent left back who I signed for £875k and got 10 times what I paid for him. It was a no brainer.

I got a good offer for Risa and needed to think about the clubs finances. I also have Souleymane Diaby who I wanted to give more game time who can play as left back.

Bingorou Kamara - Shabab Al-Ahii - £4.9m - He was my first team GK but I felt like a changed was needed and more quality was needed in the short term but I will be looking for a good young GK to build for the future.

Adama Traore - FC Metz - £1m - Signed him on a free last summer but barely played so I got rid of him.

I also got rid of a few other players for less then a £1m each but not worth mentioning.

Transfers In

Lisandru Tramoni - 19 year old French Right Winger. Best role is Inverted Winger which suits my tactics. My DOF signed him from Ajaccio for £4.3m. I have sent him on loan to Stade Reims.

image.thumb.png.b0a66b4613f928b69e3a49dc4bb9a777.png

Mama Balde - 26 year old Bissau-Guinean winger, Can play anywhere on the right and also up front as a striker. Best role is a Winger. I signed him from Dijon for £2m.

image.thumb.png.2ddc544e776feb0a37b2fc10b1112577.png

Anthony Rouault - 21 year old French central defender. Looks very good with good Jumping Reach, Anticipation and Passing. Signed from Toulouse for £1.9m.

image.thumb.png.efc63a70fe513b219acb56910ccd4d31.png

Hugo Lloris - A free transfer signing from Spurs. Still only 35 years old with 122 caps for France. I couldn't ask for a better signing in goal. Also has a Model Citizen personality. He will be a good mentor to the other players and has a lot of experience and still an excellent goalie even at 35.

image.thumb.png.1f4db49b669576271c83b154b406f8ba.png 

Bertrand Traore - Free transfer signing from Lyon. Another quality player and only 26 years old so coming into his prime years. I am looking forward to see him speeding down the wing.

image.thumb.png.57ca3ec6faa22428657b6eedeb7975b0.png

Luka Ilic - Free transfer from Man City - Not good enough for Man City but seems good enough for me so far playing in 3 games so far. He can in most positions in midfield and up front. Hopefully I can either create a good player in him or at least sell him for profit.

image.thumb.png.1d93daab21b92a5a0ffcdaa12c695bb8.png

Only played 4 games but unbeaten so far with 2 wins and 2 draws.

image.thumb.png.fbe4b812dad2c07ac29c40c2833ff20f.png

On 14/09/2020 at 21:45, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@jeaku14 Well done on beating Lyon in the Cup. Also some good wheeling and dealing shifting the players at Monaco.

By the way you might regret getting rid of Geubbels as he looks decent for me so far.

I am looking forward to seeing who you bring into the club next.

Cheers man, very happy with the cup wins this year. Yeah tbh I didn't want to sell either of the youngsters but I was getting desperate to meet FFP, don't think I need to have worried in the end :lol:

Transfer window was fun! Some surprising ins I reckon. I know you've already seen it but link below for anyone interested 

9 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Strasbourg Season 4 Transfers

Transfers Out

Parfait Guiagon - Monaco - £11m - He wanted to move to a bigger club and Monaco made me the best for him. Good luck to the lad. I hope to bring him back at some point.

Birk Risa - Bournemouth - £9M - Excellent left back who I signed for £875k and got 10 times what I paid for him. It was a no brainer.

I got a good offer for Risa and needed to think about the clubs finances. I also have Souleymane Diaby who I wanted to give more game time who can play as left back.

Bingorou Kamara - Shabab Al-Ahii - £4.9m - He was my first team GK but I felt like a changed was needed and more quality was needed in the short term but I will be looking for a good young GK to build for the future.

Adama Traore - FC Metz - £1m - Signed him on a free last summer but barely played so I got rid of him.

I also got rid of a few other players for less then a £1m each but not worth mentioning.

Transfers In

Lisandru Tramoni - 19 year old French Right Winger. Best role is Inverted Winger which suits my tactics. My DOF signed him from Ajaccio for £4.3m. I have sent him on loan to Stade Reims.

image.thumb.png.b0a66b4613f928b69e3a49dc4bb9a777.png

Mama Balde - 26 year old Bissau-Guinean winger, Can play anywhere on the right and also up front as a striker. Best role is a Winger. I signed him from Dijon for £2m.

image.thumb.png.2ddc544e776feb0a37b2fc10b1112577.png

Anthony Rouault - 21 year old French central defender. Looks very good with good Jumping Reach, Anticipation and Passing. Signed from Toulouse for £1.9m.

image.thumb.png.efc63a70fe513b219acb56910ccd4d31.png

Hugo Lloris - A free transfer signing from Spurs. Still only 35 years old with 122 caps for France. I couldn't ask for a better signing in goal. Also has a Model Citizen personality. He will be a good mentor to the other players and has a lot of experience and still an excellent goalie even at 35.

image.thumb.png.1f4db49b669576271c83b154b406f8ba.png 

Bertrand Traore - Free transfer signing from Lyon. Another quality player and only 26 years old so coming into his prime years. I am looking forward to see him speeding down the wing.

image.thumb.png.57ca3ec6faa22428657b6eedeb7975b0.png

Luka Ilic - Free transfer from Man City - Not good enough for Man City but seems good enough for me so far playing in 3 games so far. He can in most positions in midfield and up front. Hopefully I can either create a good player in him or at least sell him for profit.

image.thumb.png.1d93daab21b92a5a0ffcdaa12c695bb8.png

Only played 4 games but unbeaten so far with 2 wins and 2 draws.

image.thumb.png.fbe4b812dad2c07ac29c40c2833ff20f.png

Loving the buy low, sell high transfer approach here. Good stuff. Just need that European push now!

RC Strasbourg September & October Results

image.thumb.png.3a9658c1bca800021b440897847c2d59.png

I was unbeaten all the way through August and September but then come unstuck against PSV in the Europa League but still managed to qualify to the next round.

image.thumb.png.b4f561d413f85d8bbe8541e9122ebacf.png

I am currently 10th in the French League but most of the teams have played 1 or 2 more league games then so hopefully I can get some points in November and December.

Diallo not as profilic as last season but still has 6 goals in 15 games which aint too bad but hoping he can start get some more goals for me.

image.thumb.png.c99fb5731d47420cc15cd07010c0eda4.png

My best player so far has probably been Portuguese winger Francisco Conceicao who has got 7 assists and 2 goals in 14 games so far. I can't believe I managed to get him on a free transfer in the summer. He is already valued at £12.5m and has 4 star current ability and 4-5 star potential.

image.thumb.png.3c6adf4d47de5c3e97865ab17be94e42.png

On 18/09/2020 at 12:51, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah they should do. He is French as well so will communicate well with Edouard.

He has been killing it and we are still in December:

image.thumb.png.6ac9ef2e07867d9cde1a2ab16c491404.png

The games and goals in Europa League weren't for us.

Edited by Ewan0404