What's the highest transfer fee you've ever received for a defender/keeper?

So, for the umpteenth year in a row, it appears that the AI sticks it to the human manager on the transfer market. But it's good that we have a new screen for the Development that basically adds little value to gameplay and a match engine downgrade for this version.

If you have a world class defender with multiple years left on their contract who has an average rating of well over 7 with multiple big teams interested, you tend to get "maybe" 10% over their value - if you're lucky.

I have never gotten more than 60 million pounds for a defender or 45 million for a keeper.

Perhaps transfers should be updated so that they no longer represent transfers in 2016? 

I'm having no problems selling my players that are performing over 7.00, neither did i have in fm19. You should keep an eye on their wages tho, as lower wages make other teams more interested. Had no problems selling my keepers in 19 for well over 60mil (Rajkovic), and even 80mil (some argentinian regen), defenders are even easier to sell as they can perform well over 7.00, i've been managing to sell them for over 100mil to english, spanish and french teams.

They have to play constantly, have good ratings, have good reputation, have good ability, and then if they bid for their value or +10%  you can negotiate for much much more than they are offering. That +10% is just a starting offer, if they refuse, well, that's no problem, i won't sell him for that.

Edit: If that is not good enough, you can change transfer values for nations in the editor

Edited by vukigepard

2 hours ago, cwc1 said:

So, for the umpteenth year in a row, it appears that the AI sticks it to the human manager on the transfer market. But it's good that we have a new screen for the Development that basically adds little value to gameplay and a match engine downgrade for this version.

If you have a world class defender with multiple years left on their contract who has an average rating of well over 7 with multiple big teams interested, you tend to get "maybe" 10% over their value - if you're lucky.

I have never gotten more than 60 million pounds for a defender or 45 million for a keeper.

Perhaps transfers should be updated so that they no longer represent transfers in 2016? 

Question: how do you have your database set up? If you have too many players loaded for not enough leagues then it can make it very difficult to sell players for large amounts because there are lots of options out there that the AI will go and find instead. It does make buying easier though. 

The opposite is also true where not enough players in too many leagues makes it difficult to buy but easier to sell.

I'm currently still on FM2018 and so far my biggest sale of a defender was my whiny left-back for roughly 119 million pounds to Man U. It was probably 7-8 seasons into my game managing a team in Ligue 1 and he was a regen if that matters. 

I don't recall his in-game valuation at that point, but I can guarantee you it was not that high.

Edited by Baodan

I don't have the screenshot as I'm not on my home PC but I sold Andrea Christensen to Benfica for over 100 million in my Chelsea save on FM20.

I'll post the screenshot tonight/tomorrow but it is by far the largest fee I've ever received for a defender. With the transfer ban it left me short at the back but I couldn't turn down a offer in way in excess of his value. 

Liverpool bought out a £102m release clause for Jose Gimenez after I rejected their higher bid (with stupic incentives) and Chelsea have just bough Retsos from me in another save for £93m (that was their opening, non-negotiable offer).

20 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

I had a backup GK I sold for £50m who had barely ever been on a football pitch. He did win the WC GK of the Tournament award a few years prior to the move though.

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 16.45.47.png

Haha I read that wrong as I thought the Leasing.com Trophy in 2034 was actually 2044. So he'd gone from triple Champions League winner to Leasing.com in 2 years! What a fall from grace that would be.

On 22/01/2020 at 15:17, Neotropolis said:

Question: how do you have your database set up? If you have too many players loaded for not enough leagues then it can make it very difficult to sell players for large amounts because there are lots of options out there that the AI will go and find instead. It does make buying easier though. 

The opposite is also true where not enough players in too many leagues makes it difficult to buy but easier to sell.

This might be the case, as I always play with a large db.

Still, I think there is something wrong with the transfer logic there. It's not like Liverpool said, "Let's not buy Van Dijk/Alisson for 70+ million because we can get Vestergaard and Guaita for a fraction of that price."

Edited by cwc1

7 hours ago, cwc1 said:

This might be the case, as I always play with a large db.

Still, I think there is something wrong with the transfer logic there. It's not like Liverpool said, "Let's not buy Van Dijk/Alisson for 70+ million because we can get Vestergaard and Guaita for a fraction of that price."

There's nothing wrong with the logic in all fairness. The more players there are in the DB, then the more options any manager has to improve their squad (or replace potential outgoings). If there are multiple players who can improve your squad then you're going to get the one that represents the most value for money. 

So say there are 3 CBs who you can buy, each are 4 star players for your squad. You have a preference for target A, but their team wants more than you're prepared to pay, so you move on to target B and so on. If there was only the one player, then you'd be more likely to pay what the selling team is asking for. 

Think of your example the other way, Liverpool paid 70+ million for VVD and Alisson, not because they wanted to, but more because these players were the only realistic options for them for what they needed, a world class CB and GK. These amounts were unprecedented for a defender or a goal keeper at the time and people said they overpaid.