JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Des - first off well done again on winning the league. for a club of your size against the 'giants' of Sporting, Porto and Benfica it's a massive achievement. as for your squad, it looks like you do have a really good core group of players that can only develop further in time. the 'bench' so to speak looks like it needs strengthening a little and this COULD hamper you in your next push. you seem to be working on that though. Shame that Radakovic is on the wane now but thats to be expected. hopefully he'll give you good back up service for a few more years yet.

as for going on to push for CL glory, i think you need perhaps a sprinkling of experience. A top quality is a must in my opinion and i wouldn't worry too much about spending big money on one. even a great defence can be strongly improved with a great GK. i have noticed it myself a little with Akinfeev this season. i personally would also consider buying a proven goalscorer at the peak of his career if the budget would allow it. you have a couple of great young strikers but i am guessing you might have periods where they hit bad patches?? a bit more experience certainly helps in this situation. this is also based on my experiences with Sergio Aguero. while Dixon faltered he stepped up to the plate and carried the team to a few victories we might not otherwise have won.

anyway, that's enough rambling from me - i wish you all the best this season. i am confident you can complete the challenge - just don't do it before me!!! :D

I was thinking about adding some experience, but really couldn't decide who to replace in my current squad and no one that stands out is really within my budgetory reach, well its more they don't wanna come, being waaaay under wage budget (350k - spending 200), and 12m transfer to challenge for the title I have lots of money, but no experienced stars wanna join us, hence the current line-up being young and now me fighting to hold onto them all. Even if I can keep only most of them, If I have Matic, Maradona, Lung, Richard, Iranilson, Batista, Sergio, Novais, Stock (or Henderson), and Benard together in a couple of seasons they will be experienced and be some of the best players in the world...so I am planning long term cause I cannot entice these players yet.

i see. i am a little surprised you can't draw the right players still but i guess that's rep for you. hopefully a good season or two and the players will have more experience. if you can then get one or two other players i think you'll be there.

good luck mate.

Oh so for the Super Cup I have both my top fullbacks away on international duty at the FRIGGIN' OLYMPICS! How can they let something clash like that, so I have 5 players away, They have 1, yeah thats fair...

I had about 12 players away at the Olumpics for this years Spanish Super Cup ties against Real, we got hammered...but Spain won the Olympic title.

Until this season? ;)

err, no......

Des - yes it is 1-1 now!! :D the race is on!! in all honesty for me i think iit will be harder to win La Liga, as odd as it seems. either Real or Barcelona are very strong each season so i have to hit top form throughout the season....

Hope it isn't too late to join fellas.

I've had a go at both Dafuge's and Gundo's, but got a bit bored with both, so it's off to the land of my forebears and a stint at Siracusa in Italy.

You'll notice I holidayed through two seasons. I really wanted to play as Siracusa (mostly for their awesome logo and the city's large population, which I always consider for games like this), but they didn't get promoted after 4 hours of reloading. I figured this was because Messina (who got promoted every bloody year) were in their Girone in Serie D.

So I holidayed an extra year and up they popped.

I trust this isn't a problem?

Hope it isn't too late to join fellas.

I've had a go at both Dafuge's and Gundo's, but got a bit bored with both, so it's off to the land of my forebears and a stint at Siracusa in Italy.

You'll notice I holidayed through two seasons. I really wanted to play as Siracusa (mostly for their awesome logo and the city's large population, which I always consider for games like this), but they didn't get promoted after 4 hours of reloading. I figured this was because Messina (who got promoted every bloody year) were in their Girone in Serie D.

So I holidayed an extra year and up they popped.

I trust this isn't a problem?

not a problem at all.... welcome to the challenge. hope yuo have success in Italy. :thup:

sometimes good to do 2 years of holidaying so you get a bit of variety in the teams to choose from. bit boring when the same teams come up in every reload.

congratulations to rlipscombe and LLR for each completing one part of the challenge.

as for the other Oviedo, well, with 8 games to go we are 9 points clear of 2nd placed Rayo and already guaranteed a play-off place (top 4). hopefully this lead will be enough but we have a couple of difficult games to go.

one of the reasons for the slightly slow progress was that i was away for a few days in the Czech Republic. whilst in a hotel yesterday evening i was flicking thru the channels and stumbled across the end of a football match on one of the Spanish channels (telemadrid??). realised after a few minutes that it was actually a game from the same division i am currently in; 2B2! the standard, tbh, did not seem to be the highest, lets say...

Cheers matey.

I've been reading this thread a bit, If I can do half as well as you have I'll be a happy man.

Thanks :) I am happy, though thought I could've been a bit better :)

When I first started doing this challenge I thought the same thing, it has taken me a while, but I have shocked even myself.

Ok, with my enthusiasm back for a bit of frustrating gaming, I decided to have a go at this challenge.

My next victims will be Biellese, based in Biella, a town at the foot of the Alps in northern Italy.

Now playing in Serie C2A, meet the new manager.

First glance reveals the usual lack of support and infrastructure. No staff, no senior players, no money, poor facilities and just six very weak youth players.

Let the torture begin!!!

Good luck in Italy guys!

If my experiences are anything to go by then the Serie C leagues should be manageable fairly quickly, the real trouble starts with Serie B, and then Serie A is a tough nut to crack. Satisfying when you do though! :)

Italian Serie C2/A - Biellese - 2009/10 Pre-season

With only 6 youth players and no staff, I felt the backroom team was the first task. I was reasonably happy with the group I got. One coach, one physio, two scouts and an Ass man. None of them looked anything outstanding, but all were of reasonable quality for this division, and it was on to building a playing squad.

My board either couldn't or wouldn't find a bigger club to link with, so I sent my scouts off to scour every bumpy pitch in northern Italy to find me some bargains. Meanwhile, my Ass man sent the loan requests off with a generous offer of first team football.

I was given a transfer kitty of Ł6.5k. Unfortunately anyone I found available at that price was either rubbish, or worse still, didnt want to join.

By close of transfer window, I managed to find 12 free signings, and get 6 players on loan. So, a squad of 18, plus the 6 rubbish youth players. I am happy with the quality of the squad and feel a top half finish is easily achievable. Although I am a little concerned that with only 18 senior players I may suffer if we have a few injuries. Especially since I only have 1 left wing, and only one of my two strikers is really good enough.

My first two friendlies looked very promising, with solid 1-0 wins over Como and Chievo reserves.

There is a rule in the league of only 11 players over 23. I have my 11 already. Most of the squad is Italian, but I did manage to get a decent looking Brazilian who is on his 5th Italian club, including Torino in Serie A, at only 24yrs old. Another to add experience is a 40yr old Defender who has previously played for AC Milan and Juventus. I could call him a rock at the back, but the rock will probably move faster.

Although I have gotten clubs relegated more often than not in these challenges, this squad looks far better than any I've started with, and I am confident going into the season.

Real S.D. Alcalá - Spanish LIGA BBVA 2024/25

Transfers

Europe

European Super Cup - Winners - Poor win.

Club World Championship - Winners | Final

Champions League - Winners | Final

Spanish LIGA BBVA

Predicted: 1st | Final Position: Winners | Graph

Spanish Cup - Winners | Final

Spanish Super Cup - Runner-Up - Embarrassing

Other News

Finances

Rich List - 3rd (502m)

Club Records

Awards

World Footballer of the Year - 3rd Carlos Suárez Rodríguez

Spanish Player of the Year - 1st Carlos Suárez Rodríguez

Spanish Young Player of the Year - 1st Mario Fioravanti | 2nd Sergio Ballesteros | 3rd Jesús Perera*

Champions League Best Player - 1st Mario Fioravanti

LIGA BBVA Top Goalscorer - 1st Carlos Suárez Rodríguez

Stars

Most Tackles: Axier Olaizola (DRC) - 5.92 per game

Most Assists: Carlos Suárez Rodríguez (ST) - 26

Most Goals: Carlos Suárez Rodríguez (ST) - 30

Most MoM: Carlos Suárez Rodríguez (ST) - 8

Highest Avg Rating: Mario Fioravanti (MC) - 7.32

Fan Player of the Year: Carlos Suárez Rodríguez (ST)

Youth Watch

Summer 2010 - Juan Antonio Álvarez (ST) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Average season.

Summer 2012 - Leandro Gutiérrez (MC) - Sold, now playing for Mallorca.

Summer 2015 - Luis Manuel (ST) - Sold, now playing for Racing.

Summer 2018 - Alfredo (AMC) | - Sold, now playing for Spartak Moscow.

Summer 2019 - Braulio Ortega (MC) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Good season but his Natural Fitness of 5 means he rarely gets a run of games due to conditioning.

Summer 2019 - Javier Aranguren (ST) - Poor season and declining attributes, sold to Aston Villa for £3.5m.

Summer 2020 - Roberto Vicente (DC) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Another great season and became out first youth product to be capped for Spain.

Summer 2020 - Victor Palacios (DL) - Sold, now playing for Espanyol B.

Summer 2020 - Juan José Rodríguez Contreras (DL) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Good season playing plenty of games and maintained a good average.

Summer 2021 - José Ignacio Marqués (MC) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Faces tough competition in midfield so limited appearances.

Summer 2022 - Jorge (MC) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Tough competition for places limited his appearances.

Summer 2023 - Jorge (GK) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Suffering because I've signed a young Greek who could be world class and is keeping Jotge out of the U-19's team.

Summer 2023 - Miguel Ángel Matilla (MR) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Excellent season on loan in the 3rd tier of Spanish football. Likely to be in the first team next year as Pato is looking to move opening up a slot on the wing.

Best Eleven: Season | Overall

European Co-efficients

Real S.D. Alcalá - 178.529 (1st no change)

Real S.D. Alcalá Trophy Room

Champions League x 4 - 2020/21, 2022/23, 2023/24, 2024/25

LIGA BBVA x 5 - 2019/20, 2021/22, 2022/23, 2023/24, 2025/25

UEFA Cup - 2018/19

Club World Championship x 3 - 2021, 2023, 2024

European Super Cup x 3 - 2021, 2023, 2024

Spanish Cup x 4 - 2020/21, 2022/23, 2023/24, 2024/25

Spanish Super Cup x 2 - 2020, 2022

Second Division B1 x 2 - 2011/12, 2012/13

Career History

Season   League              Pos.   Cup         Europe         Achievements
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2009/10  Second Division B1  7th    N/A         N/A            None
2010/11  Second Division B1  2nd    1st Rnd     N/A            None
2011/12  Second Division B1  1st    4th Rnd     N/A            Second Division B1 Champions
2012/13  Second Division B1  1st    2nd Rnd     N/A            Second Division B1 Champions, Promoted
2013/14  LIGA adelante       7th    2nd Rnd     N/A            None
2014/15  LIGA adelante       2nd    Qtr-Final   N/A            Promotion
2015/16  LIGA BBVA           10th   5th Rnd     N/A            None
2016/17  LIGA BBVA           4th    Semi-Final  N/A            None
2017/18  LIGA BBVA           4th    Qtr-Final   CL Qtr-Final   None
2018/19  LIGA BBVA           2nd    Semi-Final  CL Group 3rd   UEFA Cup Winners
                                               UEFA Cup Winner
2019/20  LIGA BBVA           1st    Qtr-Final   CL Semi-Final  Champions
2020/21  LIGA BBVA           2nd    Winners     CL Winners     Champions League Winners, 
                                                              Spanish Cup Winners 
          *************** Challenge Completed *****************
2021/22  LIGA BBVA           1st    Semi-Final  CL Semi-Final  Champions, Euro. Super Cup Winners, 
                                                              Club World Champions
2022/23  LIGA BBVA           1st    Winners     CL Winners     CL Winners, Champions, Spanish Cup         
2023/24  LIGA BBVA           1st    Winners     CL Winners     CL Winners, Champions, Club World Champions,
                                                              Euro. Super Cup Winners, Spanish Cup
2024/25  LIGA BBVA           1st    Winners     CL Winners     CL Winners, Champions, Club World Champions,
                                                              Euro. Super Cup Winners, Spanish Cup           

Next Season...

More of the same. Would also like some new youth to come through as the last 2 seasons have been very poor with no one worth tracking.

In short, this was a ****ing awesome season.

The mass of deadwood was cut, 20 players were brought in and pretty much all of them performed.

As the positions graph shows, we started off in mediocre fashion, but by mid season I stumbled upon a great tactic and the squad clicked. In the end, the table looked a bit like this, showing that we won it pretty comfortably.

As for the squad, it really wasn't that fantastic and I think I'll need to do some good work on the transfer market if I'm to do a repeat performance. In all honesty, back to back promotion isn't really a realistic aim, unless we get more plays like Ekani, who my 20/20 scout ( :) ) found for me after the august transfer window had closed. He came in January and tore the league a new one. I'd have no qualms playing him in a Serie B side honestly, and hopefully he'll be at the club for a long time. Our top goalscorer, Ceccon, was useful, but obviously a fair way off Ekani's quality.

I'm 60k in the red, which isn't too concerning and hopefully attendances (which were just under 3k this season) and ticket prices will rise next year. Also, it's nice to know that our stadium can be expanded when necessary. I was reading through some articles about Sicilian football yesterday and it turns out no Sicilian team has ever won the Serie A. Records are made to be broken though!

So it's onwards and upwards next season in the Serie C1.

Siracusa Summary

Season   League              Pos.   Serie C Cup          Europe         Achievements
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2010/11  Serie C2/C          1st      1st Rd               N/A             Serie C2/C Champions, Manager of the Year

stay positive sydney.... just need to settle in a bit.

As for me, it's taking a lot longer than expected to get the season review up. i haven't had the time to sit down and tag in all of the pixtures etc. i'm away now until sunday so i shall aim to do it then. as a result i'm going to include the season preview with it i think, including introducing the new boys.

Well I ended up surviving just again in the Liga Sagres. Yet, this season will be my most challenging. No transfer budget, no wage left. I have to find a good enough 'keeper along with better players in 5 positions and back-up for these players.

Season review coming over the weekend.

Biellese - Serie C2/A - Season review 2009/10

The league table, while looking good for us, doesn't tell the full story. Alto Adige were on fire and simply a class above the rest of the league. With 30 wins, 4 draws and 0 losses, they left the rest of us playing for the playoff spots.

We started off well, and spent much of the first half of the season in 2nd place. Our small squad of 18 were clearly capable of playing at a higher level. Unfortunately into the new year, we suffered a mini injury crisis, and started to slide down the table a bit.

An eventual 4th place finish, and a full squad back for the playoffs looked promising. We took care of Pavia 1-0 on aggregate, and after Pro Sesto upset Varese. We got a slightly easier than expected final, and got promoted by beating Pro Sesto 2-1.

Several players had good seasons, but the fans player of the year, and mine was Magnificent Mario. He broke many club records, but his best talent was from the penalty spot. As demonstrated in this game where he scored four of them in 23 minutes.

The Serie C cup was a forgettable experience with 3 losses and a solitary win, However finances we kept in good shape, and we finished Ł28k in the black.

Bring on Serie C1/A.........

Real Oviedo - Liga BBVA - Seaon 2018-19

Predicted Finish: 5th

Actual Finish: 3rd Graph

So as you can see we failed to mount the title challenge I was looking for. However, in my opinion there were two main reasons for this. the first was the unrelenting form of Real Madrid who were almost untouchable. the second was a run of 3 games we lost which I mentioned previously. to this point we hadn’t lost a game and were in touch with Real. the defeats left us 11 points behind and we were never able to recover. without those devastating defeats I really believe we could have pushed Real Madrid. We’ll see in the new season…. our good form saw us have a number of players in the Team of the Year

In the Champions League, I have already announced that we managed to win in the final against Olympique Lyonnais. We had eased through the group stages and the early knock-out rounds which set up a semi-final against Bayern Munich. A 2-1 home win in the first-leg saw us travel to Germany with a slender lead. Whilst playing our usual game, we defended superbly and came away with a goalless draw. we had been the underdogs going into the final but we settled down after scoring the opener just before half-time. A couple of quick goals in the second half and we never looked back, securing Real Oviedo their first European success. The parties are still going on all over Oviedo!! our success was reflected in our strong showing in the CL dream team. we also had a clean sweep in the CL Player of the year awards.....

In the Spanish cup, a tournament we’d generally struggled in, we eased our way through to the final defeating a lacklustre Barcelona along the way. With the game coming before the CL final, it was another chance for me to win my first trophy. a goalless 90 minutes saw us play extra-time and we fell behind in extra-time. we never managed to break them down and we lost 1-0. Still it was our best ever performance in the competition and our CL win more than made up for it!!!

Transfers 1 Transfers 2

Squad 1

Squad 2

It’s time to look at some of the key players who saw us to our first CL win and our strong showing domestically.

Akinfeev - Igor was brought in to bring some experience and class to our GK position. it was a tough decision for me as I have a soft touch for Joaquin who had performed so well in previous seasons but sometimes tough decisions have to be made. I couldn’t have asked for more from the Russian who performed heroics in many games and who was instrumental in our success.

Joaquin - So unlucky to be our back-up GK, he still has a massive future at the club and performed brilliantly when called upon. our most capped player with approximately 350 appearances for the club.

Rabben - Again the Norweigen was our 1st choice RB. for the first time though he had a short spell on the sidelines due to poor form, but fought back well. still a key defender for us. can fill in at CB too which is important

Ayechu - The Spanish wonderkid performed in fits and starts this season and I was actually a little disappointed with him. he is a massive future star but his formed dipped horrendously after Christmas and he had long speels on the bench. I will be looking for more consistent form this coming season, which will hopefully come with experience.

Francisco - a bit of a transfer coup this was, signed from Barcelona's first team. Provided great cover at both RB and LB and played LB during Ayechu's blip. A great future ahead.

Galindo - the Spaniard had another good season during which he was consistently in demand. seems happy enough to stay though which is a bonus.

Hugo - Brazilian Cb who had another great season. Galindo's partner at the back, they're pretty dependable and solid. missed the CL triumph through suspension which was a shame as he was denied the opportunity to avenge his penalty miss in our previous CL final.

Machuca - Argentinian CB who'd get into most teams but who is largely an understudy for us. a regular international who his also heavily courted by Bayern Munich. it's important i can keep hold of him if possible.

Ismael - young Spaniard provided occasional cover during periods of injuries. Solid potential

Munoz - Captain fantastic had another solid season and is almost guaranteed of a DM slot. still seems settled at the club.

Visser - Dutch international who joined in the summer. was a peripheral figure before christmas and was almost sold to Chelsea. however he came in during a spell of injuries and never looked back, forming a formidable partnership with Munoz.

Aizpurua - more game time for the versatile midfielder who played well as a DM until Visser burst on to the scene. doesn't like not playing though - i am working on keeping him sweet although he has just announced he wants a new challenge. will fight to keep him as he's a quality player.

Kabore - Our Burkino Faso midfielder failed to achieve regular appearances this season and i am working on selling him this summer. i will fail to recover anything like the £20m he cost, but you win some, you lose some.....

Roberto - i'm a big fan of Roberto, and reckon he has a bright future at the club. So versatile, he can play LB, CB, RB, DM, LM and RM (he's played most of them in at least one game...) still on fringes but a great squad player.

Peltonen - the Finnish winger is a great player and can be relied on to produce the goods. one of our best players - a must keep. recently signed a new long-term contract.

Sanchez - able back-up to Peltonen and performed well when called upon

Garcia Ardura - you can't keepa good man down, he wrestled back the LM role from Fernandez with consistently sparkling performances. Top assist provider in the league, he also won the Spanish Player of the Year award.

Fernandez - if it wasn't for Garcia Ardura he'd be a star. about a good LM cover as you could ask for. courted by Real Madrid.

Aguero - the £38 million man was a MASSIVE gamble but boy did it pay off. Top Spanish goalscorer, he certainly knew who to thank for his success. delighted to have him, i don't care how much he cost and his wages, he is the man who could fire us to the title.

Dixon - With him and Aguero, it was pretty much a dream team partnership. suffered his usual barren spell but that aside he was fantastic again. A Real Oviedo legend.

Gorrotxategi - played a supporting role to Aguero and Dixon, he did admirably. overshadowed by Villafane though.

Villafane - the young Argentine finally came of age and scored some extremely vital goals for the club. is now Aguero's strike partner for the national team, he has a big future ahead. awarded Spanish young player of the year.

Staykov - i liked the look of this Bulgarian and paid £11 million for him in the winter. got a good goal-scoring record for us - hopefully he'll complete our striking options this season.

Finances

Despite the massive outlay on Aguero and his wages, as well as our wage budget leaping on in general, we pretty much broke even for the season which was pleasing. obviously this was mainly thanks to our Cl success and the money which comes from the competition, but i was happy. i am expecting the transfer outlay to be greatly reduced this season so this will also help.

Other business

Seeing as we sell out most home games, i decided to ask the board about expanding the ground. unfortunately i was told that there was no way we could develop the ground further so i will have to make do with our 35,000 stadium. it's a bit of a blow as increased gate receipts etc would be nice but at least we already have a good sized ground. Our youth facilities are being developed and will soon match our training facilities in being the best possible. hopefully this will help push through a few decent youngsters as i am still to have a real star develop, with the exception of the now-departed Montiel.

*********************************************************************************

The forthcoming season

i have made a conscious decision to keep my transfer incomings to a minimum this season and concentrating on having a good first team squad. i feel that i can achieve my aims this season with the core of the squad i have who will all have a further seasons' experience behind them. i have already shipped out a number of fringe players, mainly youngsters signed with potential but who will have struggled to ever make the first team. With regards to new signings, the following are the key players ready for the first team:

Danilo Acevedo - Young Colombian LB i've been watching for about 5 years. Missed out on him when he moved to Sporting Lisbon but i finally made my move paying £11 million for him. Will battle with Ayechu for the LB berth.

Jose Luis - Spanish youth International with potential to be as good as Galindo. Already a good Liga BBVA player.Signed from Sunderland for £10 million, he gives me 4 quality CBs.

Miguel Veloso - Experienced Portugese DM signed for £3.5 million from Arsenal. Will bring great experience to the squad and will battle with Munoz, Visser and Roberto for a starting spot.

these three signings have given me a really strong squad, with two players for every position:

GK: Akinfeev / Joaquin

RB: Rabben / Francisco

LB: Ayechu / Acevedo

CB: Galindo / Jose Luis

CB: Hugo / Machuca

DM: Munoz / Roberto

DM: Visser / Veloso

RM: Peltonen / Sanchez

LM: Garcia Ardura / Fernandez

ST: Aguero / Villafane / Staykov

ST: Dixon / Gorrotxategi

i'm delighted with the squad i have and i am looking forward to the new season with some optimism. We're 5/1 2nd favourites with the bookies for the League. In the CL group, i have Inter Milan, Shakhtar Donetsk and Rapid Vienna - not the easiest group but i'm confident of progressing.

Targets for the new season.

- mount a genuine title challenge. i want to say that i want the league title but we have a gap to close from last season, and so my aim is to be closer to the title at least. The board are also expecting a title challenge so the pressure is on.

- Defend my CL title. having won the title last time out, i expect a minimum of a semi-final place.

- win the European Super Cup. We face Bayer Leverkusen whom i have never lost to in 4 previous appearances.

- Win the Spanish Cup. It's time i had this trophy in the cabinet

that's pretty much it i think. With half of the challenge down i can concentrate more on the league title and i'll be doing all i can to ensure i can complete the challenge. last season showed it was vital to make hard decisions and i won't be afraid to do so again.

Rlipscombe - Must say that looks like a great season, but the three losses are your problem, some great players there, I love your strikers more than the rest, as for Igor (Ewww) haha, I know he is an experienced star, but he has retired in my game haha. A lot further on with a bit less success, of course I have a league title. Hope you can at least get closer to the league in the new season.

By the way love the 35k stadium selling out haha, I still only get crowds of 10k or so in my stadium. Well I am still plugging on with the Softies, hoping to get back to Fafe this weekend.

Archived