JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

Very nice season there Fastbasher, good to see another team make it to the top of the divisions. I am still trucking along with Fafe, have just beaten Dortmund (Who have my old Goalie), and now we are in the 2nd round knockout against Real Madrid, probably our toughest game. We also defeated Deira-Mar (Our Feeder Club) in the Portuguese Cup to make the Semi-Final, our U19s are top of their league Comfortably, in the Final of the U19 Cup. The league was looking good with us winning 10 straight to climb to 3rd, we then drew with Nancional to drop to 4th, but Benfica, Porto & Sporting are only just ahead of us.

Update: I lost 4-2 away to Real Madrid in the first leg, so now I head home knowing I have to beat them 2-0 or better to advance, going to be a tough ask, but will be something I am looking forward to. Maradona is still suspended so Fernando, Radakovic are sharing time with rookies Pedro & Kuzmin, a nil all draw means they go through, bye bye to Europe once more.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voghera - Serie A - 2025/26 mid season update

Not going too bad. At the halfway stage (19 games), the bottom of the table reads:

14th Lecce 18pts

15th Empoli 16pts

16th Voghera 16pts

17th Livorno 15pts

18th Salernitana 14pts

19th Bologna 14pts

20th Sampdoria 7pts

Looks like it is going to be a tight scrap. The teams in 18th and 19th are changing every week. We just beat cellar dwellers Sampdoria in game 19 to jump out of the relegation zone.

We lost De Luca in January, but replaced him with a promising young Swede.

So, looking good at this stage, but a long way to go.

33 games unbeaten in all competitions, a run which has seen the giants of Italian football dispatched as well as teams like Real Madrid, and who do I go and lose to? Catania! So frustrating!

Still am 11 points clear at the top of the table, in the Champions LEague quarters and Coppa Italia semi final. So if I can get back to winning ways it could still be a good season.

Phew! A 1-1 draw at home to Reggina put the pressure on for the second leg in the CL Quarters. Then we went a goal down. But Guarino put back on level pegging with a great free-kick. Then with the clocking down, and extra-time looming Demba Diagne popped up with a tap-in, his first goal for the club, and puts us through to the semi-final.

Next game, a 3-1 away win at Juventus, with another goal from Diagne, puts me into the Coppa Italia final where I will face 4th place Napoli. It's the one I am yet to win.

Not sure if anyone remembers but back when I completed my Savona game I resigned and ran it as an experiment. I also carried on with my manager but took over Biellese in 2030 as they were newly promoted then. So I'm back in with this file for the interim before FM10. First game of the season 1-0 against Italo.

Good to have you back iacovone. I hope you're thinking hard about which players are going to get nominated.

I'm currently trying to decide who my best youth product is Pastore, or Dalla Bona. I think probably it's got to be Pastore, but it's hard luck on Gianfranco!

Also am trying to decide between Casisa, and Novello as best bargain. It's going to be a tough series of choices!

Coppa Italia final

Kick-off

8 mins - Peluso takes a corner from the left, Zonneveld rises at the near post and powers it home. 1-0 Domegliara.

24 mins - Dalla Bona steps up to take a corner from the right and finds the top corner. 2-0 Domegliara.

29 mins - Mehmet Celik scores a curling shot from the edge of the area. 3-0 Domegliara. It's looking good for that first Coppa Italia win!

39 mins - Peluso takes another corner from the left and this time Pastore out jumps everyone esle to head home. 4-0 Domegliara

Half-time - 4-0 Domegliara are looking good for our first win in this tournament.

49 mins - Napoli pull one back. 4-1 (I hope I haven't jinxed this!)

52 mins - Dalla Bona with another corner that gets through to the back post where Lucchi rises to score Il Nuovi Rossoneri's fifth. 5-1 Domegliara

Full-time - 5-1 Domegliara. We've got it. That is everything bar the Serie C2 Cup now.

Is there anywhere to download save games where the holidaying of the first season has been completed?

I quite fancy spending the last couple of weeks before FM10 trying out this, but holiday mode seems to take an eternity on my laptop.

If anyone has a save game at the day of/day before league reset for any of the leagues on this challenge?

The JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Awards

iacovone's SAVONA's Nominations

I suppose someone has to get this started ;). All of my nominations are taken at no further than the completion of the challenge fwiw.

The Norms Player Awards

Best Goalkeeper: Giordano Liguori - this was his best year for me in a 10 year stay at the club. Helped us to our first Scudetto and Italian Cup. Amassed 455 career club appearances for Savona at a (slightly disappointing) 6.91 average rating.

Best Defender: Roberto Pecoraro - Personally the best defender I've ever found on any FM, and that's no exaggeration. He was incredibly good and won European Def of the Year in 2027. Made 259 appearances, scoring 5 at an average rating of 7.10.

Best Midfielder: So many to choose from but I've had to go with club captain Tommaso Cilona. This was his best season in a 12 year Savona career. He's made 429 appearances and scored 80 goals at 7.15 - pretty good for a defensive midfielder! Has won World Football of the Year once and come runner up twice.

Best Forward: Michele Badini - despite Rotunno being a longer serving striker and a personal favourite, Badini is the complete package. A world-class striker and was bought at the right time to take us onto Champions League glory. 79 goals in 189 club appearances.

The Greats Player Awards

Hall of Famer: Tommaso Cilona for me, what a great player he has been for 12 years. Led us to 3 Scudetto's and 1 Champions League. Top man.

Best Youth Product: Riccardo Rotunno - From day one we knew he'd be a star. Had to play a whole Serie A season leading the line as a 17 year old (the season in which we were relegated). It could have been the breaking of the man but he shot us back up to Serie A at the first attempt and went onto achieve legendary status at Savona. The screenshot shows his best year - our second Scudetto win. 216 goals in 486 games at 6.95 tells its own story.

Lifetime Achievement Award: To Riccardo Rotunno for his 486 appearances, a club record.

Best Nickname: :confused: - 'Riccy Rotunno'!? 'Tommy Cilona'!? Maybe 'The Italian Messi' for Giuseppe Quinto?

The Others Player Awards

Best Bargain: Giuseppe Quinto - Bought for £1.5m in 2023 and turned into

Overpriced: Andrea Romano - bought for £9.5m as a 17 year old. Is now 21 and has made just 38 appearances in 4 years.

Worst Signing: Andrea Di Costanzo - bought for £14.5m. Didn't fit in at the club. Made 44 league appearances in two years and scored just 6 goals. Was shifted on after 2 years to Man Utd for £10.5m. :thdn:

The Stories Team Awards

Best Season Review: The First Scudetto

Best Season: The Completion Season - The triumphant first completion of the challenge \o/.

Hard Luck Story: Getting up into Serie A was a glorious time, going Straight back down was not so much.

Funniest Event: Our follow up to our first Scudetto was disastrous and we finished up 8th! Worst title defence EVER haha.

The Numbers Team Awards

These awards will be based on single season results provided.

Most Goals: Riccardo Rotunno - 28 (2027/28)

Best/Worst Result: Win: 7-0 vs Fiorentina. Loss 7-1 to Roma.

Most Clean Sheets: Giordano Liguori - 25 (2024/25)

Most Assists: Fabio Bertolucci - 28 (2027/28)

That's my lot for now people, hope you like the nominations. And I hope I got it right in nominating just my players :o

Is there anywhere to download save games where the holidaying of the first season has been completed?

I quite fancy spending the last couple of weeks before FM10 trying out this, but holiday mode seems to take an eternity on my laptop.

If anyone has a save game at the day of/day before league reset for any of the leagues on this challenge?

I believe I have Spain & Portugal somewhere if you would like them still, or you could look through here I believe I posted them before haha.

The League Title Race

Things get Interesting

The Table after 26

[b]Team        Win Drw Los For Ags +/- Pts[/b]
Benfica      19  4   3   71  15 +56  61
Sporting     19  3   4   72  18 +54  60
[b][color=DarkOrange]Fafe         18  5   3   50  20 +30  59[/color][/b]
Porto        18  5   3   48  16 +32  59

Gil Vicente  13  7   6   37  33 + 4  46

As you can see it is now extremely close here, the results in the last round were delightful for the title race as Sporting downed Benfica & we defeated Porto to make it 2pts seperating all of us with 4 to go.

The upcoming runs

Benfica - vs Fafe, @ Braga, vs Feirense, @ Nacional

Sporting - @ Rio Ave, vs Maritimo, @ Guimaraes, vs Boavista

Fafe - @ Benfica, vs Rio Ave, @ Maritimo, vs Guimaraes

Porto - vs Braga, @ Feirense, vs Nacional, @ Leixoes

The only other game in here will be Benfica vs Fafe in the Portuguese Cup final, could be a good game, but hopefully will not distract my boys from the title hunt. Thought the double would be a delight. Other than the game against Benfica we have a great run in.

saab - I haven't dabbled with the demo yet, but without a doubt I will be involved in this challenge next year, I love the thread, I love the big European leagues, and there is no place I would rather be.

Fafe - Well a disastrous result as we travelled to Benfica may have seen our chances disappear, we lost 4-1, they got out to a 3-0 lead by halftime as we had 3 top players injured, and Maradona suspended, and we could not peg them back. Sporting and Porto both won their games as well. Now I would need all three to slip up over the run home which is unlikely at best.

saab - I've dabbled a little and really like it on first impressions, going to give it a bit of a bash tonight and get into a season. Tactics creator has the potential to be fantastic!! I too will be here next year for definite, you just try and keep me away from Italy :D

saab - yeah, i've spent an hour or so on the demo so far and it seems good to me. as for this challenge, i am for sure going to sing the praises of this one!! i do like Gundo's challenge too, but this one has really blossomed this season and i think we have a good atmosphere in here.

Des - bad luck mate - a bit of a crushing blow that i imagine. still 3 wins and you never know what could happen.......

iacovone - i'm debating going back to Italy too - some unfinished business there!! ;) however i've not ruled out France or Germany....

Fafe's failure

Not only did we fail to win the Liga Sagres, we failed in the Portuguese Cup losing 2-1 in the final (ET) and then we went on to fail in the league even more, we managed to drop to 4th and out of the European Champions League. This means I cannot even complete the challenge with just one more season in the book. What a disastrous season this one turned out to be.

I am undecided what to do right now. I will most likely plug through another season during the next 10 days, I will make sure to get my nominations in for our awards and then go from there...

So gutted right now, but I did really have to laugh.

Fafe's failure

Not only did we fail to win the Liga Sagres, we failed in the Portuguese Cup losing 2-1 in the final (ET) and then we went on to fail in the league even more, we managed to drop to 4th and out of the European Champions League. This means I cannot even complete the challenge with just one more season in the book. What a disastrous season this one turned out to be.

I am undecided what to do right now. I will most likely plug through another season during the next 10 days, I will make sure to get my nominations in for our awards and then go from there...

that's seriously unlucky mate..... feel for you. i can understand the position you're in.

Fafe's failure

Ouch Des, ouch. Feeling for Fafe right now - you're in a really tough spot with FM10 coming so soon. I have a feeling that gunning just for the league next year will reap dividends though ;)

Thanks for the support guys, I ended up completely gutted with that final result, we deserved better than 4th, but a few slip-ups through the season destroyed us. I know I still have a strong young side with some experienced players in the mix, but realistically I don't think I will be able to complete in 2009. I really look forward to the 30th and my day off work to play away.

Got to say I'm enjoying Biellese a lot! After 6 league games the table is taking shape. And with us sitting 1st :cool:, with 5 wins and 1 defeat we're up there for promotion candidates! The biggest rivals appear to be Ivrea, Triestina and Como (;)).

Top goalscorer is centre back Andrea Liguori with 5 in 10! Glorious.

Des - that was your 1000th post just in this thread :eek:

What an accomplishment!! :)

fair play Des.... sums up why you won your award. :thup:

Haha yeah must be the reason, classic really, 1000 posts in one thread alone.

Also I have just had my heart ripped out with this email from the company I have pre-ordered the game from...

Just a quick email to let you know our suppliers have advised us today that the New Zealand release date for Football Manager 2010 has changed from 30/10/2009 to 06/11/2009.
It annoys me even more because in NZ we have a limit on our Download each month, which seems to be the only way to get it on 30th now, and I have the day off work as well, so I am not happy in the slightest...It does not take a week to ship things to NZ :(

Haha so within an hour of posting this I have cancelled my Pre-Order, and now have it ready to download off Steam, here we go...

Thats annoying Des.

I haven't even bothered to look for release dates in Hungary due to the disappointment at the inevitable delay.

In 2006 (for FM07) I spent the first two weeks after release date hounding various stores without success. Then gave up. My missus ended up finding it randomly about a month later.

Didnt bother with 08, then wasnt too happy with the steam thing for 09 either.

I too have a download limit, and it costs a fortune to go over. So basically, if I do the steam thing this year, that is my internet usage for the month.

Voghera - Italian Serie A - 2025/26 season review

The League

It was a season of two halves. The first half saw us in and out of the relegation zone, looking like it would come down to the wire.

In the second half however, things picked up, we managed to string a few wins together and climbed to a very satisfactory 13th position.

This graph shows the progress thoughout the season.

Cup

Again nothing special in the cup. A 3-2 win over Reggina in the 3rd qualifying round, followed by a 1-2 loss to Giulianova in the 4th qualifying round.

While it probably isnt bad having only the league to concentrate on, it would be nice to have a decent cup run.

The Team

A solid bunch that pulled together and played above themselves all season. János Pálfi (Hungary), Djuro Vucic (Croatia) and Mehdi Ashouri (Iran) all got to play in the 2026 World Cup. Unfortunately none of them got further than the group stage.

If anyone should be singled out for special praise it is Mikael Lundberg. He came in the January transfer window and turned us from relegation battlers to a mid table team. From only 20 games he became our top scorer with 9 goals.

He was bought for Ł825k and 6 months later, half was sold to Roma for Ł11.25m in a co-ownership deal.

His main strike partner was Julio Olmedo. He looks to be improving fast and has also been attracting interest from bigger clubs.

For the season ahead, I hope this improvement continues, and will be over the moon if we can achieve a top half finish. Youth facilities are being improved, and the stadium is having 6000 seats added without me even asking the board. Finances are also secure, thanks to the co-ownership deals and numerous sell-on clauses.

Quick Monsanto Update :

We've entered January and managed to climb back up the league after our decidedly dodgy start to the season W1 D4 L2 early on !! We've also qualified from the CL group stage but have got a hell of a nasty draw of Chelski in the first knockout round.

It's gonna take real heroics to make it past them but I think we've got a chance of a smash & grab if I play a 4-5-1.

Welcome Dave, and good luck.

When I was doing Gundo's challenge one thing that didn't concern me was that when my promising youth players were sold, they were going to bigger leagues. The problem here is that they are going to my main rivals in our own domestic league.

After posting the above, I click continue and receive an offer of Ł16.25m from Lazio for my best defender.

Hard to turn down, but probably harder to replace.

I don't know whose chaiman is crazier. Lazio's for offering it, or mine for giving me the option of refusing it.

ps. I'm still in shock and haven't accepted or declined the offer yet.

Archived