The FM09 Career Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would appear being manager of Staines is currently going against me. So far the only club that's remotely interested is Lewes in the Blue Square South. That isn't as big an issue as it could be as I do go to Lewes occasionally I just don't want to have to drop back into the Blue Square South.

2008/2009 Season Update

Well, my season with Farsley Celtic is over and it is time I gave my review.

I started in January 2009 and the Farsley job came available, which I took as there were little other alternatives. The side were distinctly in mid-table but nearer the play-offs than relegation. I signed 6 players on loan in total: 2 players on loan from Leeds who were my parent club, which were Nathan Cartman and Jonathan Webb, 3 players on loan from Sheff Utd who became my new parent club when I asked for a new one, who were Jordan Robertson, Sean Gordon and a reserve keeper in Jamie Annerson and Scott Kay from Man City. I also signed some left sided players in Scott Cousins, Craig Tanner and Dean Cross.

We were very inconsistent for the rest of the season;a win was followed by a loss and so on. In the remaining 14 games, we won 6, drew 2 and lost 6. This was the good (3-1 win at home to Stafford), the bad (4-0 home loss to Fleetwood) and the ugly (1-0 late win at home to Alfreton). Jordan Robertson was top quality with stats but took a while to deliver the goals, finishing with 6 goals overall. It was in a way frustrating but I knew the potential was there. We finished 9th overall which was OK but I harboured hopes of a play-off place at times.

I couldn't believe it when my manager was linked with jobs like League 2 side Aldershot and an assortment of Blue Square Premier sides aswell. But I'm still here at Farsley and ready for the new season. A number of new faces have come in and the squad is looking very strong in my opinion. Nathan Cartman and Jonathan Webb have come in permanently after successful loan spells, as well as players like Steve Basham, Mike Williams and Alex MacDonald (on loan from Burnley) have come in and I think promotion is a real possibility.

Congratulations on the success in all those irish cups and nice to see nobody getting relegated.

I feel for those with the crash problems, with my computer happily rebooting not so long ago before i saved my progress. still i didn't lose much and got the same job again.

Further signings since my pre season update are; Winger Chris Humprey did sign. Shaun Vipond a MRC with some decent looking stats and Dominic Shimmin to strengthen me up at the back.

Also i had to post this update as i have just exchanged my club captain veteran defender for a striker with a great goal scoring record. (i hope it continues for me) He will be coming in Janurary. He has even scored in the champions league this season, well qualifiers anyway. But it sounds quite impressive. I really have high hopes for this one. here is his scoring record

Season so far played 12 won 3 drawn 7 lost 2. Not scoring enough so far but quite tight in defence,hence all the draws.

It would appear being manager of Staines is currently going against me. So far the only club that's remotely interested is Lewes in the Blue Square South. That isn't as big an issue as it could be as I do go to Lewes occasionally I just don't want to have to drop back into the Blue Square South.

Unlucky but Lewes isn't too bad. Do they have a better base than Staines to builld from? Or are you going to hold out for a better job so you can avoid the BSS?

Nice work Proccy. A good first season really :D Managed to avoid relegation for sure! Good luck with the promotion push next season.

The striker sounds promising WH but I can't see the picture? Anyone else having a problem?

No worries :D That's definately a great goal scoring record. Is that TNS as in the Welsh team?

I wish just one of my strikers could hit the 15 + mark. I've managed to get a striker I lost on a free at the end of my first season with Bangor back on free. He got 20 goals for the team he played for in the season inbetween. Hopefully he'll be a good replacement if my original two strikers can do the biz.

Strikers always seem to be a problem! They look good on paper, or they have a good record but then they just start sucking. It'll be a great day when I find one who can do the job!

After a season out of management I'm back in the game. After swallowing my pride I have dipped back down into the Blue Square North and taken charge of newly promoted FC United of Manchester. Quite happy to drop down for them as they have large gates and a decent reputation so I'm hoping to finish top half. My first signing was former Scotland international goalkeeper Neil Sullivan as my Assistant.

After 1 season just surviving with Cowdenbeath, I was on a high for the next season. Apparently, I had no reason to be. We were awful. We still didn't have a decent enough striker, and after 16 games we had scored just 8 goals. I had enough of it. We were in bottom, and not looking like survivng, so I left the sinking boat. I've now gone on holiday in the hope for a better side in any division. I just hope I do better at my next club.

My current Career:

Year           Division                    Club               Final Position     Extra Info
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008/09        N/A                         Unemployed         N/A                Joined Cowdenbeath 
2009/10        Scottish 2nd Division       Cowdenbeath        8th                Survived
2010           Scottish 2nd Division       Cowdenbeath        N/A                Resigned at Christmas

Now back on holiday searching for a job. :/

Hard lines Adam. Hopefully you'll be able to do better in your next job and get a decent striker this time around.

Interestingly, my FC United side are scoring plenty, but now I'm shipping goals with the same tactic I was using at Staines...

After a season out of management I'm back in the game. After swallowing my pride I have dipped back down into the Blue Square North and taken charge of newly promoted FC United of Manchester. Quite happy to drop down for them as they have large gates and a decent reputation so I'm hoping to finish top half. My first signing was former Scotland international goalkeeper Neil Sullivan as my Assistant.

Good luck with the new job. A lot of people have been getting FC United in the dafuge challenge. They look like a team with potential to be honest. If you can shore up and stop the goals coming in then you might be able to take them really far. Especially with a good assistant like that!

I want to do one but i don't know how to do the code thing

For the code at the end it is

W[i]hat you want to write and then[/i] [/code ] but with out the space at the end between the[b] e[/b] and the [b]][/b]
[i]After 1 season just surviving with Cowdenbeath, I was on a high for the next season. Apparently, I had no reason to be. We were awful. We still didn't have a decent enough striker, and after 16 games we had scored just 8 goals. I had enough of it. We were in bottom, and not looking like survivng, so I left the sinking boat. I've now gone on holiday in the hope for a better side in any division. I just hope I do better at my next club.[/i]

Now back on holiday searching for a job. :/

Unluckly Adam. Good luck with getting a new job. Strikers really are a problem for us all. Maybe we're all looking for the wrong thing in them? I tend to concentrate on pace, acceleration, finishing and composure, or sometimes insteand of finishing heading.

Unlucky Adam, hopefully a job will come up soon.

In my Farsley Celtic save I am currently in November and won manager of the month in October with 3 wins and 2 draws :)

Doing better then I had expected at the start of the season but I'm struggling for goals too.

My midfield is completely exhausted. Several big injuries and a lack of back up has meant for the past 5 games (which have all been within about 5 days of each other) the same few have been doing all the work. A few players who aren't even central midfielders. They've been doing well but I'm glad I've got a weeks rest before my cup fixture against a NIP side.

I managed to lose 1 MC, 1 DC/DM/MC, 3 DM/MC and 1 AM/FC. We equates to my first choice centre midfield pair, second choice, my young back up pair and two players I more likely to use in attack/defence.

They're starting to come back now though :)

NEW JOB

The season ended, and my second job has come up. Weymouth in the Blue Square Premier. Predicted 14th with no transfer budget. Apparently the defence hasn't got enough depth. I'll have to get some freebies and hope for the best to come in my 2 year deal. Wish me luck...

Josh: Odd that the same tactic is behaving completely differently for you, but I suppose that's football. Good luck with FC United, how're you doing overall so far?

Peljam: Yeah I agree, I tend to look for pace, off the ball, composure and finishing. Where are you in the league?

LCFC: Sounds like you're doing well mate, keep it up :thup:

Good luck with the job Adam. I'm currently 3rd after 5 games. I've got 2 games in hand over the leaders and most of the league though. I'm starting to think that having the team gell is pretty key to getting performances. I've only introduced 2 players this season, and they're normally on the bench so there's not been too much team change. The team's playing really well together and I'm already in two quarter finals with two NIP scalps!

Never thought to look for off the ball. I'll keep an eye on that as well.

Josh, I'm guessing the tactic isn't working either because of team gelling or because the defenders you've got just aren't good enough. How do they compare to the ones you used to have?

Well, pre-season is over and overall the signs are positive I think.

I have another new parent club replacing Sheff Utd, and I was offered Man Utd or York. Erm, guess who I picked!! So I've now had 3 different parent clubs in 6 months. That's surely a record!! The problem with having Man Utd is that not many players want to drop down all them divisions, but I have got a winger/striker in Antonio Bryan at the club now.

The results (all games at home):

Sheff Utd Lost 0-8

Barnet Lost 0-1

Shrewsbury Lost 1-2

Mansfield Won 1-0

Apart from the Sheff Utd disaster (in which James Beattie scored 4, they were 7-0 up at half time and 3-0 up after 6 mins!!) we played well and were a solid unit. Bear in mind that Barnet and Shrewsbury were 2 levels above us and Barnet needed a last minute goal to beat us.

As you can see though, the main problem is goals. Andy Campbell, who was top scorer last year, is out for 2 months and my 2 main strikers are under 20 years of age and on loan. But, I've brought in a new striker from Newport County who scored 19 goals last year at this level which could be the experience we need. I'm willing to give them a bit of time to settle in though. I'm also struggling to find a decent back-up keeper. My 2nd best keeper at the moment is still on a Youth Contract, and he's filling my bench at the moment, but I need somebody with a bit more experience. Speaking of Youth Contracts, I have a 16 year old centre back who, according to my assistant is good enough to play at this level and beyond, but I don't know what to do with him. I can't send him out on loan, so should I wait until I can or give him some first team time?

Hmmm, I'd try and play him in a few cup games if you can. Maybe play him from the bench a few times, so then you can get an idea of his ability without streching him too far or risking important games?

Not a bad first season in charge of Alfreton, finishing 9th. Our form tailed off in the last quarter of the season which meant we dropped out of the play-off positions

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | C     | Harrogate      |       | 42    | 24    | 11    | 7     | 85    | 55    | +30   | 83    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Pl    | Blyth          |       | 42    | 23    | 8     | 11    | 70    | 40    | +30   | 77    | 
| 3rd   | Pl    | Droylsden      |       | 42    | 20    | 13    | 9     | 68    | 51    | +17   | 73    | 
| 4th   | Pl    | Gateshead      |       | 42    | 19    | 12    | 11    | 61    | 45    | +16   | 69    | 
| 5th   | Pl    | Tamworth       |       | 42    | 18    | 12    | 12    | 50    | 38    | +12   | 66    | 
| 6th   |       | Southport      |       | 42    | 17    | 12    | 13    | 63    | 60    | +3    | 63    | 
| 7th   |       | Stafford       |       | 42    | 18    | 9     | 15    | 53    | 50    | +3    | 63    | 
| 8th   |       | AFC Telford    |       | 42    | 16    | 14    | 12    | 59    | 52    | +7    | 62    | 
| 9th   |       | Alfreton       |       | 42    | 17    | 11    | 14    | 59    | 59    | 0     | 62    | 
| 10th  |       | Stalybridge    |       | 42    | 16    | 14    | 12    | 56    | 62    | -6    | 62    | 
| 11th  |       | Workington     |       | 42    | 15    | 14    | 13    | 56    | 48    | +8    | 59    | 
| 12th  |       | King's Lynn    |       | 42    | 16    | 11    | 15    | 46    | 42    | +4    | 59    | 
| 13th  |       | Farsley        |       | 42    | 14    | 11    | 17    | 51    | 55    | -4    | 53    | 
| 14th  |       | Gainsborough   |       | 42    | 12    | 15    | 15    | 57    | 56    | +1    | 51    | 
| 15th  |       | Redditch       |       | 42    | 12    | 15    | 15    | 42    | 43    | -1    | 51    | 
| 16th  |       | Fleetwood      |       | 42    | 11    | 17    | 14    | 40    | 42    | -2    | 50    | 
| 17th  |       | Burscough      |       | 42    | 13    | 11    | 18    | 57    | 63    | -6    | 50    | 
| 18th  |       | Hinckley       |       | 42    | 10    | 17    | 15    | 39    | 47    | -8    | 47    | 
| 19th  |       | Hyde           |       | 42    | 13    | 6     | 23    | 56    | 75    | -19   | 45    | 
| 20th  | R     | Solihull Moors |       | 42    | 9     | 14    | 19    | 42    | 59    | -17   | 41    | 
| 21st  | R     | Vauxhall       |       | 42    | 6     | 14    | 22    | 37    | 64    | -27   | 32    | 
| 22nd  | R     | Hucknall       |       | 42    | 7     | 11    | 24    | 32    | 73    | -41   | 32    | 
|       |       |                |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Unfortunately it seems it will be my only season at Alfreton seeing as they sacked me after I tried to better myself and applied for a couple of jobs

So as things stand, my career so far is:

Started unemployed, automatic reputation

Season		Team		Country		League		Final position		Notes/Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008/2009	Alfreton	England		BS North	9th			Sacked after applying for another job
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah well, it's their loss

Already turned down a few jobs from Blue square north and south team but really I want to move up to the Blue Square Premier if possible. That's not looking likely though seeing as I've already been turned down by 3 teams

Yeah well, it's their loss

Already turned down a few jobs from Blue square north and south team but really I want to move up to the Blue Square Premier if possible. That's not looking likely though seeing as I've already been turned down by 3 teams

Maybe some of the teams that sack their managers towards the end of the campaign, during a relegation battle might pick you up in the BPS?

For those wanting a difficult career challenge, you may want to try my challenge.

Career Challenge

Heh, don't think my computer could handle all those leagues, nor my sanity if I had to go back down leagues to pick up cups I'd missed out on!

Second time round it's not gone as well. Took over in November, resigned in January as I was in danger of a sacking. Now looking for another job with the amazing kudos of spending 2 months unsuccessfully managing in Spain. :(

Well after being sacked from Alfreton I spent the entirety of the next season unemployed before being approached my newly promoted Guisely in the Blue Square North. Seeing as I didn't fancy another season of doing nothing I thought I'd take the job, despite having no players or staff at the club

Looks like we are both in for a challenge PRDH

Season		Team		Country		League		Final position		Notes/Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008/2009	Alfreton	England		BS North	9th			Sacked after applying for another job
2009/2010	Unemployed all season
2010/2011	Guisely

Good lcuk Wobbly and PRDH with your new teams. Must be hard starting without much of a squad but at least you can make the squad your own. No having to hold onto useless players a former manager has signed :)

I get to defend my Antrim Cup win! I'm back in the finals for it after a stunning 4-3 win over NIP side Linfield in the semi's!

And....We have! It was a great match against Glentoran. We managed to keep possesion of the ball and take the lead in the first half. For the second we just had to hold on!

We've won this one twice in a row. So long as we keep the league form going I'll be able to declare the season as a success on the strength of a higher than 9th position and one cup win alone.

EDIT: Hehe, we beat Glentoran in the Antrim Cup final, and my next match is the semi final of the Antrim Trophy against Glentoran Seconds!

Got my first on the job job offer! Not going to go, as they're currently bottom of the WPL. They have just half the amount of wage budget too. It's not a tempting offer at all, more sideways than up. Specially seeing as things are going well here.

Hello to all! So i've decided to give this a go, after many failed attempts at a sustained career game on 08 i feel if i share my story with you good people in this thread it may help me to persevere with my game. Anyway here goes, i've started with automatic reputation, nationality english and the following leagues:

China - All Leagues

England - All Leagues

Spain - All Leagues

France - All Leagues

Sweden - All Leagues

Well the apparent big advantage with having the swedish leagues present is that you're never short of job offers at the start of the game. I've decided i'm definately going to start the game in Sweden, perhaps partly down to my swedish roots (I shop at ikea) but mainly like i said due to sheer choice of job offers i am getting.

I realise that perhaps the realism flies out the window a bit with me refusing several job offers from clubs due to them having no wage structure in place or being in a terrible position in the league, but I feel i need to give myself at least a fighting chance.

So after a few weeks procrastination on 20th July 2008 I am named the new manager of the Swedish side Höllvikens GIF. With 13k in the bank balance and a wage budget of 2.8k which we're only £100 over things don't look too bad financially, not to mention the added bonus of a 2k transfer budget!

With the Swedish season halfway through already the club lies in a disappointing 9th position out of 12 (media prediction of 3rd) however the league is tight and with 8 games remaining we are only 7 points off top spot so i guess anything is still possible :)

swedishseconddivisionsotu8.th.png

The squad looks ok with a few pretty decent young players I want to hold on to however I'm definately going to have to find some new centre backs to tighten up my defence. However my biggest shock was to come when i went to look at the players in my reserve squad.

hllvikensgifqv0.th.png

In there i found the sum total of 32 reserve players!! I couldn't believe it, together with my first team and under 18's this gave me a squad of 60 players! How we were only £100 over our 2.8k wage budget i do not know. So as I leave you tonight (or this morning i suppose) I'm attempting to get rid of as much of this dead wood as possible. Wish me luck!

I´ve taken up this challenge, along with the big career one, so I can pick between the two games (according to my mood) : )

I´ve loaded

England (2)

Spain (all)

Germany (all)

Argentina (all)

France (3)

Scotland (3)

MLS

And is looking forward to the job hunting...

Got my first on the job job offer! Not going to go, as they're currently bottom of the WPL. They have just half the amount of wage budget too. It's not a tempting offer at all, more sideways than up. Specially seeing as things are going well here.

No wonder they were doing bad if thay had a cricketer as their manager

Blair, do you mean the format like I and other people have posted? If so then we type it up ourselves in notepad and then copy and paste it between the coding signs

So essentially you type [code*]then your pasted stuff from notepad[/code*] but don't include the * bits that I've added

As for my playerless Guiseley team, I've managed to bring in 20 players so that I can play a 442 and I've got players to cover every position twice apart from the strikers. I just couldn't find anyone good enough as back so I've go to my parent club Leeds and borrowed two of their strikers for the whole of the season

First game of the season away to Kings Lynn and I managed to scrape a 1-0 win. I'm actually quite happy with the quality of the squad I've assembled and, if I can stay injury free, I think a top half finish should be easily achievable

No wonder they were doing bad if thay had a cricketer as their manager

Hehe didn't notice that. I'm not using real players so I get all sorts of odd names sometimes.

As for my playerless Guiseley team, I've managed to bring in 20 players so that I can play a 442 and I've got players to cover every position twice apart from the strikers. I just couldn't find anyone good enough as back so I've go to my parent club Leeds and borrowed two of their strikers for the whole of the season

First game of the season away to Kings Lynn and I managed to scrape a 1-0 win. I'm actually quite happy with the quality of the squad I've assembled and, if I can stay injury free, I think a top half finish should be easily achievable

Looks good :) Leeds are a pretty good parent club to have (even if I can't standf them in RL!)

Wobbly: That will be quite an achievement to get a finish like that, its always really difficult when building a team from scratch but you've managed to get off to the best possible start so keep it up!

Year           Division                                       Club               Final Position            Extra Info
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008/09        N/A                                            Unemployed       N/A             Joined Höllvikens GIF 
2008/09        Swedish Second Division South Gotaland      Höllvikens GIF      2nd            3 points behind first place

So after 8 games the season is already over!! Unfortunately despite winning 6 of the games we drew 2 of them, which it turned out cost us dearly. I have to admit I was pretty gutted missing out on first place by such a slender margin, but i guess we gave it a good go and i'm optimistic about our chances of getting promoted next season.

swedishseconddivisionsoon7.th.png

Arriving at the club I brought in 6 free signings and one player for 4k which plugged up most of the holes we had in the squad, however there is still room for a few more players in order to give us a bit more backup. I need a couple more central defenders as I am currently playing two central midfielders in this area. The best of my signings is probably Robert Karlsson, who is a bit of a demon on the left wing with 2 goals and 4 assists in 8 games which isn't bad. Our top scorer is a promising 19 year old striker who was already at the club called Victor Tufvesson. He managed to net 10 goals in 21 league games and hoping I will be able to get a bit more out of him next season.

6robertkarlssonug1.th.png

2victortufvessoneb4.th.png

What does slightly concern me is the financial state I've gotten us into. Tbh I was in a no win situation, I had to get rid of the majority of the 32 players in the reserve squad in order to free up enough wages so i could bring in some much needed talent. I tried transfer listing them all and offering them out for £0 but nobody wanted them (infact i got some clubs saying that the asking price was too high which annoyed me!). I also tried mutual termination but they wouldn't have that so in the end i decided to release them. This, of course, was very expensive and ended up costing me over 200k and now the season has finished we are approaching 250k in the red.

One of the unfortunate things about managing in Sweden is the incredibly lengthy off season which stretches from october to mid april. So my plan is to arrange quite a few friendlies during this time to see if i can recoup at least some of the money i have lost. So thats about it, i better go and wrap up warm for the long swedish winter i have ahead of me!

I was going to post up my info for my career so far last night, Brantwood in NI doing OK at the moment.

Can someone fill me in on how to take screen shots on a Mac. I know how to do it when not playing FM, apple+shift+4, but this doesn't work when playing FM.

Any ideas.

Hey i don't actually have a mac so i don't really have a clue lol but i thought that shortcut was meant to work. All i can suggest is going into football manager and then preferences, then go into to shortcuts which is on the left had side menu. Scroll down until you find the 'save screenshot' short cut and this will tell you what it is.

As i said i'm not really sure with mac's but use this shortcut on whatever it is you want to screenshot then go into my documents/sports interactive/fm09/screenshots and it should be in there.

Cheers James, yeh it was annoying but guess i have to carry on plodding along lol, are you still at Farsely?

Unlucky about the finances fattyg. Really was a no win situation. But then if releasing them means you have a better shot in the short term of getting better players/getting promoted then it's worth it completely. Did you try offering them new, shorter contracts and then releasing them? Sometimes that works so you end up paying slightly less in compensation.

Archived