The FM09 Career Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, it's mid august and still no jobs open that I'm interested in yet. :(

(better said, no one is interested in me)

i know one will come but... right now it seems hopeless.

EDIT: Now october, nothing yet, i'm gonna sing a song.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH i'm living off of unemployment funds!!!

Greg Johnson: The Beginnings Of A Legend!...well hopefully.

Started the game as a Sunday Leaguer with the following nations loaded:

England

Iceland

Italy

Holland

Portugal

Russia

Spain

Brazil

I quickly got a job at BSN team Farsley. I'm feeling quite happy with the set up so far, brought in a couple of local scouts and made a couple of crafty signings for nothing which has pleased the fans.

It's still early days though and the season hasn't even started yet! Wish me luck.

Greg Johnson: The Beginnings Of A Legend!...well hopefully.

Started the game as a Sunday Leaguer with the following nations loaded:

England

Iceland

Italy

Holland

Portugal

Russia

Spain

Brazil

I quickly got a job at BSN team Farsley. I'm feeling quite happy with the set up so far, brought in a couple of local scouts and made a couple of crafty signings for nothing which has pleased the fans.

It's still early days though and the season hasn't even started yet! Wish me luck.

how did you get a job!!!

I just went on holiday and applied for all jobs.

They pretty much offered me the job after a day or so. Really quick.

yeah maybe i'll try that, starting over with all the leagues from the following:

Australia

Belgium

Brazil

England

France

Germany

Italy

Portugal

Scotland

South Korea

Turkey

U.S.A.

Wales

I'll give an update later ;)

Bubba....sometimes it can take a while, sometimes it's really quick. Depends on what jobs are free, what level and what competition there is for the place. Generally said the more leauge you load, and the lower they are the quicker you are likely to get a job.

Sometimes it can take an age though. I, and some others i think, have gone a year + without a job. It's all about holding on :)

Good luck to you, and all the new peoples!

Just stick with it Bubba. I went an entire season without being offered a job after my first team sacked me

Not such a good season so far with me. I've changed tactics from last season and so far we are languishing in 13th position with 15 games played

In truth I think my keeper is letting me down but I'm struggling to find a good replacement

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Kettering    |       | 15    | 11    | 3     | 1     | 25    | 11    | +14   | 36    | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Histon       |       | 15    | 9     | 2     | 4     | 24    | 17    | +7    | 29    | 
| 3rd   |       | Worcester    |       | 15    | 9     | 1     | 5     | 26    | 15    | +11   | 28    | 
| 4th   |       | Gainsborough |       | 15    | 8     | 4     | 3     | 22    | 12    | +10   | 28    | 
| 5th   |       | King's Lynn  |       | 14    | 7     | 5     | 2     | 20    | 10    | +10   | 26    | 
| 6th   |       | Braintree    |       | 15    | 7     | 4     | 4     | 25    | 17    | +8    | 25    | 
| 7th   |       | Tamworth     |       | 15    | 7     | 3     | 5     | 20    | 15    | +5    | 24    | 
| 8th   |       | Droylsden    |       | 14    | 7     | 2     | 5     | 17    | 14    | +3    | 23    | 
| 9th   |       | Gateshead    |       | 15    | 6     | 5     | 4     | 17    | 16    | +1    | 23    | 
| 10th  |       | Workington   |       | 15    | 6     | 3     | 6     | 24    | 22    | +2    | 21    | 
| 11th  |       | Blyth        |       | 15    | 6     | 3     | 6     | 17    | 17    | 0     | 21    | 
| 12th  |       | Hinckley     |       | 15    | 4     | 8     | 3     | 21    | 15    | +6    | 20    | 
| 13th  |       | Guiseley     |       | 15    | 5     | 5     | 5     | 27    | 27    | 0     | 20    | 

End of Season 2 Update

Farsely Celtic AFC

League

Won the league on the last day of the season again. Signed loads of peeps from relagated clubs to improve the squad with helps and had top goalscorer in the league :)

Cup

Won FA Trophy :)

Knocked out at the semi final of the Conference Cup

Got to 1st round of the FA CUP

Season        Team        League        Position        Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------              
2008/09      Farsley      BSN           1st             Promoted as Champions 
2009/10      Farsley      BSP           1st             Promoted as Champions again  and won FA Trophy

just moved on to the chesterfield job, feel its a better setup and a team to take to the higher leagues of england :), but thnks for the support, farsley's midfield is the best part about them, wen i joined cudnt score a goal for ****.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008/9       Unemployed
2009/10      Worksop        BSN              19th                 
2010/11      Worksop        BSN              10th                    
2011/12      Worksop        BSN              1st        Promoted as Champions 
2012/13      Worksop        BSC              13th       Highest ever league position for club.
2013/14      Worksop        BSC              4th        Promoted as BSC Playoff Champions
2014/15      Worksop        L2               2nd        Promoted as Runners Up

In the words of John Motson, this just gets better and better and better...

Well after taking over in January with the team in seventh, H&W Welders eventually rose to finish third - and would've finished second had we not lost to Lurgan Celtic on the final day of the season. Also lost to NIP side Carrick in the Northern Irish Cup quarterfinals 2-0, but overall I'd say it was a pretty decent start to the managerial career of Jeremy Bray.

Season		Team				League		Position	Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008-09		Harland & Wolff Welders		NI2		3rd		N. Irish Cup - QF	

Well done rob, u just get better and better, im just trying to keep up :):), good luck in league one, im waiting to see worksop in the premier league in the next few seasons :):).

Well done mongrel, does 3rd give u promotion or a playoff game, good luck next season.

This is cool :)

Im in my 2nd season now but I dont want to start again so gonna tell you my story up to now.

I took over at Accrington Stanley (who are they? exactly)

In my first season I was tipped for relegation with 2k transfer fund I finished 13th and all in all a good season I felt.

Pre Season 2009

Was debating whether to sign the new deal on offer who look somewhere else? Delayed my contract for a bit, then they came back in with a 2 year deal so decided yeh why not have a bit of that.

So im in January 2010 and im 5th in the league looking for a place in League 1

My team consists off;

GK Ormenshaw (South African) Free

GK Igor Amenikov Free international at some unknown country

LB Micheal Evans 18 year old from Irish football gonna have a good future in the game gonna find it hard to hold on to him.

RB Phil Edwards 23 years old was already here and now my captain

CB Niko Skerle 21 years old Free transfer Slovenian International

CB James Tunnicliffe 21 Free Transfer Aug 09

RM Dean McDonald 20 Free Transfer Aug 08

LM Peter Grant 18 already at the club

CM Jason Euell 32 Free transfer made up with this transfer he is my heartbeat

CM Oliver Hotchkiss 18 Free Jan 10

CF Scott Grant 17 Free Aug 09 from Hearts have a look at this guy scored 18 in 27 apps this season again some of the bigger clubs looking at him gonna struggle to hold on to him.

CF Liam Dickinson 23 Loan deal until Aug 10 scored 19 goals this season

Subs;

DF Steve Watson 35 Free Jan 09

DF Lee Collins 21 Loan from Wolves

DF Stuart Nicholls 18 Free Aug 09 New Zealand International

MD Trevor sinclair 36 free jan 09

MD Irelkiov 34 Free jan 09 Estonian international

MD Belak 21 Free Slovenian international

MD Litheriukis 20 18k Lithuanean international

FD Dougie Freedman 35 Free jan 09

FD Matt Freeman 20 Free Jan 09

I think I have a nice blend of youth and experience and hopefully this can see me into the next division there are probably more players I have missed off because im at work. But will keep everyone upto date and make one of those notepad clips for my achievements :D

Right so I've started, lets see how long this goes on for, I've loaded the English, Scottish, N.Irish, Irish and Welsh leagues, from the bottom up:

Azeryk - Harland & Wolff Welders - Northern Irish Second Division

The small Irish team snapped me up just 24 hours after applying for the job, obviously desperate to hire anyone silly enough to take up the job. Just like WH I've identified the wage budget as being a major issue, have found many good players to bring in who would get us promotion but the board veto's every single one and as I can't get rid of the youth players cheaply enough I'm going to have to make do with the squad I've started with - which to be fair doesn't look too bad, yes there are several dud players, but also a few who could be gems as the season goes on, only time will tell.

Rodrigo De La Vega - 2014/15 - Bangor - NIP

I was feelinng fairly confident when the season started. Yes we were a newly promoted team and therefore favourites for the drop but I felt I had a core to my squad that could take on the bigger teams. After all they had managed it in various cups before, the team was no stranger to the occasional giant killing. I managed to add to the core of the team with three new players who had all played at NIP level before - A striker, a central/left midfielder and a wing back/winger. All were eased gently into the team.

Cups first :D

As I mentioned before we defended the Antrim Cup, claiming it for the third time in a row. I'm rather proud of that. We then followed up by winning the League Cup! It was a tough slog to the final, tougher than the Antrim Cup but we got there. Our progess in the Irish Cup wasn't as good though and we didn't even make it to the quarter finals.

League

Form wise we did okay in the league. We managed to take a few points here and there and generally held our own at home. We diced with the relegation zone a little but as you can see by the final table we were well clear in the end. 9th place wasn't bad at all. A nice stable season for the club that we could build on. Towards the end when it became clearer that we would make it I started signing players for the next season. I managed to pick up, or would pick up, two first class defenders, a young midfielder or two and another striker. All looked to be improvements on the team I had already or would be good replacements for some of the aging core squad.

I've no idea how they will do though as with 2 games to go I got a Job offer from Wrexham. They were sitting in 5th place in the BSP. I couldn't really pass up the chance to manage in England, no matter how low so I accepted with the condition that I would see out the last two games at Bangor. After around 1200 days at Bangor I was quite sad to go but I think I needed to. Even with the new players the best I could hope to become was a large fish in a tiny tiny pond. The team finances as well were never going to really improve enough to let me get a strangle hold on the league either.

So on the 10th of May I made my way over to Wrexham and found myself with two press conferences to attend. One about my appointment, and the other about the upcoming game. Yes...the second leg of the play off semi finals! I did a double take and then checked a few things. An under performing manager (the expectation had been 2nd place) and a board takeover (that was still in progress) had led to me being appointed.

So with no knowledge of the team, and the team with no knowledge of the tactics I used I went into the second leg match against Gateshead. My team were already a goal down, and the match was away. The team played okay but it was nothing fantastic and we were hamstrung by bad luck. Gateshead scored from a corner, we had a stone wall penalty turned down, and the matched ended 1-1, or 2-1 to Gateshead on aggregate.

Ah well. Can't be too upset really. Plans? Well to bring in some new players to bolster the squad. Midfield looks a tad shakey. And then to push for promotion. It'll be different than in N.Ireland but I think Wrexham can do it. I think they've got the potential to make it pretty far.

Unemployed
2008/9       Brantwood          NI2              11TH                     Relegated
Unemployed
2011/12      Buckley            WPL              18TH                   Left before end
Unemployed
2012         Bangor             NI1              6TH                    Played last 8 games
2012/13      Bangor             NI1              9TH                 Won Antrim Cup & Intermed Cup
2013/14      Bangor             NI1              1ST                 Won Antrim Cup & Trophy, Runner Up Intermed Cup
2014/15      Bangor             NIP              9TH                 Won Antrim Cup & League Cup
2014/15     Wrexham             BSP              5TH                 Played one game (PLayoff semi, 2nd leg)

Good luck in England Peljam, Wrexham are a decent sized club so you should be able to watch them grow so to speak.

Thanks :) Good luck with the Welders too. It's difficult not being able to bring players in but the difference between sides in N.Ireland doesn't seem to be too huge, least not in my experience, so with the right tactics and a bit of luck you can do it :)

Oh God, you don't know what you've let yourself in for if this game is realistic :(

Hehe, Wrexham or Welders?

I got Brantwood relegated in NI2. They had no budget and couldn't bring players in either. But the relegation was due to bad luck and tactical ineptness on my part though more than anything else. It is tough though.

Well it's going well so far on the pitch, just the finances are getting much worse, have reduced the wage bill by £200 / week but it's not enough and the clubs now in debt. Clubs 5th in the league and into the semi-finals of the Intermediate cup, just wish I'd got some prize money so far :p

Well it's going well so far on the pitch, just the finances are getting much worse, have reduced the wage bill by £200 / week but it's not enough and the clubs now in debt. Clubs 5th in the league and into the semi-finals of the Intermediate cup, just wish I'd got some prize money so far :p

You get the money when you win the comp or get knocked out I think. Not a great deal of money but it all helps. It's really difficult to make money in N.Ireland, even in the NIP.

Wrexham and financial crisis? Nah can't be :D Maybe the game is the most realistic on the planet :/

Heh, My Wrexham side is half a mil in debt and I have no transfer budget. No different from being at Bangor really expect my transfer budget is 10k bigger :D

I started Unemployed with sunday league footballer rep , loaded up all the English and Scottish leagues only on a large database.After going on holiday and applying for all available jobs , I was eventually offered the managerial position at Redditch at the end of Septemeber 2008 , who had been took over by a consortium and sacked the manager at the time. Sitting 15th in the league and with only 19 senior players , one of them who was out on loan at Rugby until the end of the season and couldnt be recalled. My first game in charge came the next day after I had accepted the job , at Home agaisnt 14th placed Southport , I opted for a simple 4-4-2 , the match ended up 0-0 , and one thing that I had got out of the game (apart from a point which moved us to 12th in the BSN) was the fact that the fitness of players was shocking. So one of my first jobs will be to sort out the training etc followed by searching for a few more players to bolster squad.

Half Season Update-Farsley Celtic

Well, I have reached January, and the season has gone reasonably well so far.

League

After a fairly indifferent start where goals were hard to come by, it seeemed to me that the side was struggling to gel, but I was willing to give that time. We were lying in the lower reaches of mid-table when we embarked on a fantastic run, where we went 9 games unbeaten and won 7 games in a row without conceding, which was brilliant to watch, as we slowly gained confidence. At the time of writing, we have just a couple of tough away games against King's Lynn and Blyth, with which we got a 0-0 and 1-1 respectively, with a difficult trip to Stafford next. We also just ended the unbeaten run with a disappointing home defeat to Worcester.

FA Cup

We went out at the first hurdle (the 2nd Qualifying Round) to Harrogate at home with a very disappointing 3-0 home loss.

Conference League Cup

After making it through the 1st Round (against a team whose name escapes me) we lost at home to Tamworth on penalties at home after a 1-1 draw.

FA Trophy

Our success story so far. We beat Eastbourne Borough at home in the 3rd Qualifying Round (I think), then beat non-league Skelmersdale at home next. Afterwards, we drew BSP side Rushden away, and after being behind twice, we earnt a very respectable 2-2 draw with the replay to come. The winner faces BSP side York away.

So far, the success story of the squad has been striker Craig Hughes, who has top scored by a long way with little support from the likely ones (Andy Campbell or Antonio Bryan). Also, the defence has been very impressive, with full backs Jamie Price and Mike Williams standing out.

I think this side has got potential to make a move on the play-offs, but it could be difficult with other sides thinking the same thing. I think the problem with the squad in general is back-up. The first 16 are among the best in the division, but beneath that the squad is slightly weak in my opinion. The wage bill means that I can't bring in a lot of new players, but I have confidence.

well done up to now proccy, good luck with the rest of the season, hopefully ull make it into the playoffs, always wish luck on farlsey managers as thats where i started and took them up.

Good luck smithers with redditch :)

Mid-season update

League: Going well despite the lack of decent results, not one team is dominating enough and at the half way stage near enough anyone could still finish top. Although I do have the slight advantage of sitting proudly there at the moment, but my record of 5 wins and 6 draws (in 11 games) isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Cups: Am through to the fifth round of the Irish cup although I had a tough tie so expect to be knocked out shortly. Also lost in the second round of the Intermediate cup which sucked but hey that's life at times. The highlights of the season are the two new shiny cups sitting in the trophy cabinet, the Intermediate League Cup and the Antrium Trophy

Players: No ones really standing out too much right now, am swapping players around often to make sure no one gets too tired and that's gone well so far, the two decent strikers (Johnstone and Magill) have both reached double figures and right-back Bowers is top rating on 7.12.

Well I'm unemployed again after leaving Guiseley in a strop due to some terrible form :

Started unemployed - Automatic reputation

Season		Team		Country		League		Final position		Notes/Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008/2009	Alfreton	England		BS North	9th			Sacked after applying for another job
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/2010	Unemployed all season
2010/2011	Guiseley	England		BS North	7th			W18 D13	L11 F67 A55 Points67
2011/2012	Guiseley	England		BS North	Resigned		Left after 21 games in 17th position

Sucks!

A consortium are trying to take over Wrexham and if they do they're going to name my assistant manager as manager, sacking me in the process. I've only been there just over a month. There's a transfer embargo on which even if I do stay is going to cause all sorts of trouble. How do I rebuild a squad when they won't let me sign anyone?

Just before the news item I was linked with the Waterford job in the Irish First division. Like a good new manager I denied interest...starting to wish I hadn't now!

1st already Azeryk! Nice, you're form seems pretty good really. Least you've got the points ticking over.

Good luck job hunting Wobbly!

2008/9       Unemployed
2012/13      Worksop        BSC              13th       Highest ever league position for club.
2013/14      Worksop        BSC              4th        Promoted as BSC Playoff Champions
2015/16      Worksop        L1               6th        Lost in Playoff Semis

Good luck job hunting Wobbly!

Unlucky with the consortium issue. Hope it all works out fine in the end.

I was only out of work 17 days before Lewes came knocking and offered me a 3 year deal. Naturally I relished the chance of getting back on the bike after falling off and I've got 12 games to secure their position in the Blue Square South

Currently we are sitting in 15th position and only 5 points above the relegation zone. I start off with 2 home games and I'm looking for a good start to boost the very poor morale of the entire squad

The major concern for me is that the club are £350,000 in debt. How they were classed as "OK" when I looked before I took the job is beyond me

i have decided to start again and start like everyone else unemployed and sunday league footballer :)

English all the way down

Scotland all the way down

Spain all the way down

holland all the leagues

france all the leagues

portugal all the leagues

about to go on holiday I will let you know when i get my first job :)

Unlucky with the consortium issue. Hope it all works out fine in the end.

I was only out of work 17 days before Lewes came knocking and offered me a 3 year deal. Naturally I relished the chance of getting back on the bike after falling off and I've got 12 games to secure their position in the Blue Square South

Currently we are sitting in 15th position and only 5 points above the relegation zone. I start off with 2 home games and I'm looking for a good start to boost the very poor morale of the entire squad

The major concern for me is that the club are £350,000 in debt. How they were classed as "OK" when I looked before I took the job is beyond me

Ta Wobbly. In the end the consortium took over after almost going off the rails three times! The new Chairman, Joe Smedley, informed me that it was always the intention to appoint my assistant but that they'd get back to me. Cue yet another week of transfer embargo (which is fair enough) until they came back to me and let me know they'd give me a chance after considering the popular support for me. So I'm still there :)

The transfer embargo, lack of investment and the readjustman of the wage budget from one season to the next means I've only managed to bring a few players in and I'm currently 3k over my budget as well as being about 500k in debt. Also I can't afford to offer my out of contract star striker a new contract, in fact I can't even off him one as good as his last one. So basically I think he's going to be gone soon. I'm a few games in and he's already my top scorer.

Hehe good luck with Lewes. I guess 350k in debt isn't toooo bad for a lower league team. Hardly okay though, think you've been lied to!

The transfer embargo, lack of investment and the readjustman of the wage budget from one season to the next means I've only managed to bring a few players in and I'm currently 3k over my budget as well as being about 500k in debt. Also I can't afford to offer my out of contract star striker a new contract, in fact I can't even off him one as good as his last one. So basically I think he's going to be gone soon. I'm a few games in and he's already my top scorer.

Hey it could be worse..............you could be at Lewes :p

2008/9       Unemployed
2015/16      Worksop        L1               6th        Lost in Playoff Semis
2016/17      Worksop        L1               2nd        Promoted as Runners Up

I wasn't even expecting the promotion this season. :)

Have only been able to play a few more games this evening, knocked out of the main cup in the 5th round against higher league opposition which sucked but fully expected that to happen. The leagues still going well, started to pick up 2-3 goal wins against the weaker sides which has really boosted my goal difference which now stands tall against the other sides. With 7 games to go I'm currently 4 points clear at the top.

The financial situation is starting to get annoying thought, the club is now £40,000 in debt despite the winnings from the smaller cups, my job is labelled as "very secure" which is nice to know but they've started to mention the money in the end of month reports. Am just hoping they boost the wages if I get promoted, as well as get a tidy little sum for the promotion.

Good one Rob - not been tempted to leave Worksop yet?

No.

I've been approached to be manager of several Championship and League 1 clubs in the past season, but I don't want to leave until I win a major trophy or two.

I'm doing dafuges challenge, but I'm sorely tempted to run two saved games alongside each other, one looking at what would happen if I stayed, and the other if I left, but that won't be for a few seasons yet.

Archived