A "Take a Breather" dilemma

What does the "Take A Breather" TI actually do? I guess it will tell the players to slow play down briefly before speeding it up again, but not sure. And if so, what would happen if I kept the TI all the time? Would the players alternately slow down and speed up play during the entire match? 

In over Forty years involvement in the game of football, as a player, a coach, a referee and working in TV sports - I have never heard ANYONE EVER instruct players to 'Take a breather' during the match.

In FM however, it just slows everything down.

15 hours ago, Snorks said:

In over Forty years involvement in the game of football, as a player, a coach, a referee and working in TV sports - I have never heard ANYONE EVER instruct players to 'Take a breather' during the match.

In FM however, it just slows everything down.

You're taking the words too literally. It's just telling players to conserve energy, basically. So, what Cleon said.

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

You're taking the words too literally. It's just telling players to conserve energy, basically. So, what Cleon said.

Nope, just a comment on the language that FM uses relative to it's use IRL.

My last comment should have shown that.

4 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

But you've seen teams see a match out right?

Of course I have, that's not what I was saying.

I have never heard a coach tell his players to Take a Breather - simple as that. Slow the tempo down, yes. Make the ball do the work, yes - and all othe rinterations of "We are in front, close the game out'

It was just a comment on the phrase used in the game. In situations IRL whenever I have had a boss say, 'Take a Breather' it means stop what you are doing for minute.

Last time I respond to this.

2 minutes ago, Snorks said:

'Take a Breather' it means stop what you are doing for minute.

S'okay buddy no ones having a pop.  I agree the phraseology is awry but it means stop pouring forward, as Cleon said, and see the match out.  We're all good, everyone's on the same page, nothing to see here. Move along please. :cool:

Dont mean to poke my oar in as it were but @Snorks your talking out your arse a touch here mate

It clearly doesnt mean "lads stop trying, rest, recover, and ignore the opposition"

Clearly closer to "lads calm it down, lower your intensity, save your energy"

Why go all out when your 4-0 up with 10 minutes to go? A manager would tell his players to take a breather and save their legs for the next match.

6 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

Dont mean to poke my oar in as it were but @Snorks your talking out your arse a touch here mate

It clearly doesnt mean "lads stop trying, rest, recover, and ignore the opposition"

Clearly closer to "lads calm it down, lower your intensity, save your energy"

Why go all out when your 4-0 up with 10 minutes to go? A manager would tell his players to take a breather and save their legs for the next match.

FFS - I was making a crack at FM language dude. 

I know what it means/does in game, it's just one of those 'FMisms' that always makes me laugh.

My OP has been taken completely out of context and I seem to be getting flak for it. I wasn't talking out of my arse if my original intent was understood - clearly I need to communicate more literally. Although how I can be more literal when saying "I've never heard it in REAL-LIFE sports".

Now I've gone and responded when I said I wouldn't - all I did was log in to 'Take a Breather' from work. 

:seagull::lol:

Archived