Giants vs Human

Some people have been complaining about 3D, but look at this. Quaresma's haircut looks like that of Ricardo Quaresma, Maicon looks like Maicon Douglas, Cambiasso's bold head is even more detailed than his real life counterpart, Stankovic looks like his brother :D

Sigh. Knew someone would come up with this rubbish excuse.

If the game took into account height and weight, then regardless of what those figures were it would take them into account. It doesn't, so it clearly wont ever.

It's even more ludicrous to assume they'll have programmed in individual responsed to a player being 5'5 and 12st 1lb. And 5'5 and 12 stone. And 5'5 but 11st 11lb. And 5'5 but 11st 10lb. Etc etc.

I worked on a development project for four years where bounds testing was a major factor, so it's neither rubbish, nor an excuse, it's an opinion based on experience. SI quite rightly expect the researched data to be with certain limits. As pointed out the height governs the limits of jumping ability when the data is correctly researched and not manipulated outside of the game. The 1cm players would have 1 for heading and the giants 20 because those are the limits. However, because of the way this has been done the game has not gone through the normal process for governing jumping, therefore they maintain their original ability rather than a corrected one.

If you don't go outside of the game to change heights then you will never encounter the problem. If you stick to realistic heights then the game will produce realistic jumping ability. SI won't program or test those extremes because they never happen when the game is used as intended. That makes the experiment flawed.

i got bored reading this after a few posts, but you are right players height and weight are just there for show. The attribute "Jumping" really means "how high a player can get his head". A 10 foot tall man with 10 jumping will be outjumped by a 3 foot man with 13. There are other attributes that contribute to ability to win a header but height is not one.

It was stated in one of the FM 07 and 08 posts that Height is not taken into account when determining how high a player can get off the floor.

If a player is 5' and can jump 17 and a play is 6'11"and can jump 17. then the are both reaching the same height!

Does this mean that the 5ft player is virtualy a frog... yes it does. Does it mean that the 6'11" players is a lazy git... yes it does.

I do not know how this translates into 'marking a tall player' during corners, but what it does mean is you can ignore height. Now... this was for 07 and 08, I have no idea myself if this is the case for 09!

Lee

well if it is indeed the case that height is irrelevant- then this is very very poor going by SI- especially when doing a 3d game.

sorry but anyone who thinks physical attributes do not matter needs their head examined, it is such an important and interesting facet of football, that a football sim cannot just ignore it.

When fit, Michael Owen scores more headers than Peter Crouch. Winning headers is also about anticipation and reading the game.

Teddy Sherringham scored more headers than Andy Cole for Man U.

As a Leeds fan, I have a vague memory of Rodney Wallace doing okay in that department. Although, of course Brian Deane and Lee Chapman were always to be feared at set pieces. Gary Speed was another.

Of course being tall and athletic gives you a physical edge, but this is the boootiful game, and a little bit extra is required to make yourself a truly great header of the ball.

That said, I can't say how much this is reflected in FM09 - I just remember that from FM07 and FM08 I always had at least one ST that had high stats for heading, jumping, strength, anticipation and determination. Klose was my best ever ST on 07.

Height is how high your HEAD gets when leaping. A tall player with low jumping vs a tiny player with high jumping, depending on the ball's height, may result in the small player reaching higher than the tall. It could also result in the tall being able to stay on his feet and not have to leap to head it, allowing more accuracy. So there is an advantage there. On top of that, players heights and jumping tend to correlate.

• 2 weeks later...

Makes life a lot easier for everyone as well. I know it's not realistic, but it simplifies things.

Right now, assuming everything else is equal, the guy with higher jumping will win the guy with lower jumping.

Now, imagine if height was taken into account.

A is 170 cm 15 jumping. B is 180 cm 12 jumping. Everything else is equal. Who wins? It makes things a lot more complicated.

Archived