FM09: Official Manchester City Football Club Thread

coolbananas

well, my constant rotating from 4-5-1 with high creativity to a 3-2-3-2 (2 dm's there) against better teams, i've managed to win the league! lose in the final of the uefa cup to juventus and also win the fa cup. went out pretty early to league cup.

the board / fans seem to be idiots though, they're 'very pleased' but feel they need to point out me losing 1-0 to everton in the first leg of the uefa semis (even though i won the second leg resoundingly)

again, like my first game with spurs where i ended 3rd and won uefa i feel like i've overachieved, not quite sure why or how but the definite turning point in both games seem to be after christmas where i strung together 25+ games unbeaten, mostly won even. but yeah, basis of my success was based on making my team hard to beat - good quality dm's in veloso and diarra laid foundations for that. my strikers struggled to score for most of the season but in the last third or so, everything came unstuck, ended up with all of my main offensive units (cardozo robinho nihat diego and vela) ending with above 15 goals each overall.

now, to hopefully get a big budget and improve my squad enough to not suffer from the ol' second season syndrome.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PLEASE can someone help me get Robinho scoring. He has 7 goals in december and were 10th. He's so inconsistant. I play him upfront with Santa Cruz or Jo with a wide formation. Any tips would be really helpful!

In serious need of a good premiership standard DL in Jan first season, need someone to replace Ball/Garrido. I will have £6million + the money of whoever I manage to sell (one of Garrido/Ball, don't know which some help here would be appreciated as well, hopefully benjani and Vassell but no one wants them)

Thanks in advance

i initially bought molinaro for 4m - avg rating of 7.21 in the end, got voted 2nd best signing of the season. i've just upgraded and bought taye taiwo who had served me well in fm08.

SUMMER 09:

had a bit of a clear out / upgrade, since i got given a 150mil budget (heh)

tried my hardest to buy balotelli and walcott but got upto 50m without any negotiation...

4-1-4-1

mandanda (27m)/asenjo

chretien / onuoha, micah / miranda, zapata (22m) / fazio (12m), taiwo (12.5)/molinaro

diarra / veloso / carioca / johnson

rosina / swp, kaka (45m+50% profit) / nihat, diego / vela, robinho / fausto rossi (5m)

adriano (7.5) / cardozo

in my clear out sold:

elano 10, ireland 7.5, petrov 10, zabaleta 13, dunne 10, kompany 7, evans 4, ben haim 500k

still got 48m to spend, heh

1st season brought arshavin 12 diarra 12 vela 12 huntelaar 16 cardozo 10 marcelo 5 + sum youngsters 4 the future

won league cup against united and won fa cup against spurs but beat united in semi 4-3 highlight of season. lost 3-2 to AC milian in uefa final, came 5th but chelsea liverpool united and me all had 73 points so so close but arsenal ran away with it.

2nd season have 150m to spend jus got veloso 25 and aguero for 40 and got leo franco on free. trying to sell jo vela ben-haim and many more. not sure what formations to play no or hu to drop cos huntelaar and cardozo wer good together

I'm into my second season now with City after finishing 4th in the league, losing in the FA-final against Chelsea and quarterfinals of the Uefa-cup against Valencia.

GK: Akinfeev (25m)(Hart)

DL: Taiwo (5m) (Garrido)

DC: Richards (Dunne, Kompany, Onuoha)

DC: Dunne/Kompany (Onuoha)

DR: Chretien (9m) (Onuoha, Richards)

ML: Zhirkov (18m) (Arda Turan)

MC: Hamsik (18m) (Matias Fernandez (9m)

DMC: Banega (3m) (probably need reinforcement here)

MR: Turan (7m) (SWP)

FC: Rossi (20m) (Evans, Caicedo)

FC: Robinho (Evans, Caicedo)

Have sold Zabaleta, Fernandes, Johnson and a bunch of other fringe players. Currently in search of some decent back up to my current team and/or a new DC and DMC.

Thinking about replacing Zabaleta in January...any recommedations for an attacking RB?

Fernandes has been toilet too!

Michael Chretien from Nancy. he is from Morocco. plays fantastic, just like how Zaccardo does.

How do you guys signed Marcelo? He doesn't want to sign for Man City. How you guys sign him for just 4.4m? I need to bid for 35m for him just to accept my bid. Any secret on this? Same goes to my other player, such as palombo and veloso, I'll need to bid more than 20+m to accept my bid. But I saw you guys just bid for 11m - 14m to get them. Is my version different from you guys?

Your help is much appreciate..

By the way, I'm still at 1st season..

Gk - Asenjo

Lb - Garrido (Preffered Marcelo)

Cb - Dunne (Captain)

Cb - Kompany or Richard

Rb - Richard or Zabaleta

Lm - Martin Petrov (Darijo Srna might train and replace)

Cm - Miguel Veloso

Cm - Palombo

Rm - SWP or (Elano) (Looking to replace SWP and Elano) I like SWP but he is underrated..

St - Robinho

St - Huntelaar

Any comment or recommendation?

Sorry if I post at the wrong place.

Hello,

I was City when I bought the game and now I am City with the patch and there is one player who is amazing and is already in the squad.

Daniel Sturridge

In my 1st game finished the season as Premiership's leading goalscorer and missed 3 months with injury.

In my 2nd game he has scored 5 in 5 games so the patch hasn't changed things there!

A few tips for people saying Robinhio wants to go and that the team won't play for you.

When you 1st start put your reputation at international footballer.

Put your 2nd nationality as Portugese.

Also this might sound crazy but it is something I have always done in FM and have always been successful....

I don't ever do anything regarding training

I don't ever have any oppositiion instructions

I stopped listening to the assistant's feedback and stop from being inconsistent to being on form

I have always played a flat 4-4-2 and if I am drawing or losing at half time or any time during the 2nd half will put my AM just behind the strikers.

Hope this helps and don't forget..... PLAY STURRIDGE!

How do you guys signed Marcelo? He doesn't want to sign for Man City. How you guys sign him for just 4.4m? I need to bid for 35m for him just to accept my bid. Any secret on this? Same goes to my other player, such as palombo and veloso, I'll need to bid more than 20+m to accept my bid. But I saw you guys just bid for 11m - 14m to get them. Is my version different from you guys?

Your help is much appreciate..

By the way, I'm still at 1st season..

Gk - Asenjo

Lb - Garrido (Preffered Marcelo)

Cb - Dunne (Captain)

Cb - Kompany or Richard

Rb - Richard or Zabaleta

Lm - Martin Petrov (Darijo Srna might train and replace)

Cm - Miguel Veloso

Cm - Palombo

Rm - SWP or (Elano) (Looking to replace SWP and Elano) I like SWP but he is underrated..

St - Robinho

St - Huntelaar

Any comment or recommendation?

Sorry if I post at the wrong place.

As I said in the other thread, Marcelo is transfer listed at the start and Real only want 4.4m for him. i bought him with City at teh start of season 1

Just finished my first season with City.

Transfers

In:

Asenjo - 6.5m

Enyeama - 220k

Palombo - 12m

Veloso - 11m

Kuzmanovic - 11.5m

Arshavin - 12.5m

Saivet - 2.5m

Balotelli - 11m

Andres Guardado - 17m

Alexis Sanchez - 9m

Juan Manuel Mata - 3.4m

Pogrebnyak - 4m

De Silvestri - 12m

Marcelo - 4.4m

Miguel Torres - 2m

Radu - 2.3m

Caceres - loan

Douglas costa - 1.3m

Zucculini - 600k

Out:

Petrov - 15m

Johnson - 10m

Fernandes - 10m

Wright-Phillips (loan + 8.5m fee to buy)

Bojinov - 5.25m

Ireland - 5m

Benjani - 3.6m

Garrido - 3.6m

Ben Haim (loan + 3.5m to buy)

Schmeichel - 2.6m

Etuhu - 2.6m

Onouha - 2.5m

Ball - 1.2m

Vassell - 600k

Hammann - 300k

Tried to sell Hart, Jo, Logan but no-one would buy them

Competitions

2nd in prem with 91 points, 3 points behind Arsenal who look pretty much invincible

Semi-final of UEFA cup (lost 2-1on aggregate to Bayern despite dominating both legs)

Semi-final of FA cup. Lost to arsenal

Quarter final of League cup

Stats

Best average rating was Zabaleta - 7.32 (playing at right back)

Second was Arshavin with 7.31

Palombo and Veloso were also excellent.

Top scorers were Robinho and Balotelli with 24 each. Scored loads from midfield (Palombo, Veloso, Arshavin, Elano)

Comments

First thing I think you need to do with City is sell off all the average midfileders and buy 2 new CMs. Hamann, Ireland and Johnson are not good enough. Fernandes is good, but for the amount you can get for him (~12m), you can buy someone better (Palombo, Veloso, Kuzmanovic). Same for Petrov - he is OK (only rated 4 stars by coaches), but for teh money you can get for him (~15m), you can buy a world beater.

I would def keep Richards, Dunne amd Robinho. Elano is also a keeper, unless you can sell him for a massive amount. Zabaleta really surprised me - I thought he would be awful and tried to sell him at the beginning, but he turned out to have the best average rating and kept De Silvestri out of the team. SWP was very disappointing. Jo was awful too. I think you can get rid of those two, along with everyone else.

Jaymajik28

Did you get more transfer funds in January? I've kept about £12m from my summer transfer chest, having brought in Lassana Diarra (who I'm generally playing at right back at the moment, even though his best position is centre midfield), Marcelo, Matias Fernandez, Veloso, Guiseppi Rossi and Balotelli. Persisting for the moment with Schmeichel in goals (he seems to have better stats than Hart and has started pretty well), SWP and Petrov on the wings and Jo as one of my rotating strikers. Robinho's just gone out for two months with a sprained ankle! I'm only a few games into the season. Played 4 in the league W3, lost away at Newcastle, but I'm already thinking that I need two better wide players and probably another striker instead of Jo, although he's only 21 and I wonder if he'll get better given time.

just started a new game with City 73m i had to spend to start with now have 40m so far i have signed

marcelo- £5.75m

huntellar- £14m

caceres-£12.5m

have not sold anyone is there anyone i should get to help me get into europe also i have seen a few people get aguero i have tried unsetlling him but he says a move to City wouldnt be a good choice

Jaymajik28

Did you get more transfer funds in January? I've kept about £12m from my summer transfer chest, having brought in Lassana Diarra (who I'm generally playing at right back at the moment, even though his best position is centre midfield), Marcelo, Matias Fernandez, Veloso, Guiseppi Rossi and Balotelli. Persisting for the moment with Schmeichel in goals (he seems to have better stats than Hart and has started pretty well), SWP and Petrov on the wings and Jo as one of my rotating strikers. Robinho's just gone out for two months with a sprained ankle! I'm only a few games into the season. Played 4 in the league W3, lost away at Newcastle, but I'm already thinking that I need two better wide players and probably another striker instead of Jo, although he's only 21 and I wonder if he'll get better given time.

No, didnt get extra funds in January. I asked but they said no.

Got £116m at th start of season 2 though :)

Having problem's getting Robinho firing. At the start of the season he was on awesome 6 goals in 5 games but now I'm reaching December and he has only got 8 in all competitions and the fans are starting to query his pace in the first team.

He is playing upfront for the majority of games with a few in AMC, can anyone suggest a way to get him back to where he was.

In my 08/09 season I said I would mount a title challenge but ended up 4th in the EPL and got put out of the UEFA cup by Roma in the quarter-finals. To my surprise I was given a 4 year contract and £130 million to spend as I got a little more realistic and said I'd fight for a European place. Just beaten Porto in the qualifier to land in a Champions League group with AC Milan, CSKA Moscow and Rapid Wien.

Best player of 08/09 was Gelson Fernandes with a 7.5 rating in 55 apps, Jo topped the goalscoring charts with 20 goals. Robinho scored 12 goals and averaged 7.4 in 32 games (playing mostly left-wing). This season the big transfers in have been Stevan Jovetic for £20m, Cristian Zapata for £18m, David Luiz for £11m, Hatem Ben Arfa for £23m & Sergio Aguero for £49m. I don't think I can afford to get rid of any more club grown players & it was a mistake to get rid of both Michael Johnson & Kasper Schmeichel.

Here's hoping my millionaire squad = success this season.

I'm finding Gelson Fernandes surplus to requirements as I am only playing 2 in midfield and Elano, Johnson, Gonzalez, Ireland and Emerson(season long loan, has been a revelation) are all playing better than him, what I want to know is should I cash in on him in January or keep hold of him?

Just entered my second season and I'm struggling somewhat with what to do. Robinho has told his agent to find him a new club because he wants to join one of the great teams, and I can't find any strikers who are a match for him and willing to join City, despite the offer of European football. I almost got Pandev, but he chose Liverpool instead. I signed Kierrison on a free, but I'm not sure he's old enough to fill Robinho's boots this season. Otherwise, I have Jo, who I find is about as poor as everyone else finds him, Evans, who is decent but not experienced or skilled enough to be a regular, Sturridge in reserve and Vagner Love who would ideally be my number 3 striker though he did well last season, but actually will be my number one if (when :() Robinho leaves. I could just force Robinho to stay as his contract has another three seasons, but I'm not sure if he'll be annoyed enough to suffer a big drop in form. Any ideas?

Are you playing on the patched full game? Because I couldn't get Aguero to join me for love nor money.

Same here, plus the price asked is over 50 mil euros, then the club allow me to contact the player and Aguero gave me the finger. I tried 3-4 times, no love there...

Also this is the answer I got from other big name players, including Henry, Villa, Eto, even Shevchenko :(

After praises and declarations etc. it seems I can have tons of money but some players look down at me. This is in season 2.

And how someone here got Riquelme to Man City, cause I tried and they refused the work permit.

This is getting frustrating.

Same here, plus the price asked is over 50 mil euros, then the club allow me to contact the player and Aguero gave me the finger. I tried 3-4 times, no love there...

Also this is the answer I got from other big name players, including Henry, Villa, Eto, even Shevchenko :(

After praises and declarations etc. it seems I can have tons of money but some players look down at me. This is in season 2.

And how someone here got Riquelme to Man City, cause I tried and they refused the work permit.

This is getting frustrating.

I got Aguero at the start of season 2 for £36m. Am playing with the patch

Just entered my second season and I'm struggling somewhat with what to do. Robinho has told his agent to find him a new club because he wants to join one of the great teams, and I can't find any strikers who are a match for him and willing to join City, despite the offer of European football. I almost got Pandev, but he chose Liverpool instead. I signed Kierrison on a free, but I'm not sure he's old enough to fill Robinho's boots this season. Otherwise, I have Jo, who I find is about as poor as everyone else finds him, Evans, who is decent but not experienced or skilled enough to be a regular, Sturridge in reserve and Vagner Love who would ideally be my number 3 striker though he did well last season, but actually will be my number one if (when :() Robinho leaves. I could just force Robinho to stay as his contract has another three seasons, but I'm not sure if he'll be annoyed enough to suffer a big drop in form. Any ideas?

He did the same with me. I sold him (for £23m to Roma) and bought Aguero (£36m) and Huntelaar (£8m)

I offered Aguero full salary, full clauses, everything. He said he had no intentions of leaving Atletico Madrid. I may try again, at least I know I can get the bid accepted, but I don't hold high hopes.

Out of curiosity, what were your league positions in your first season, to those who said they bought Aguero in the second season? Maybe you have to win the league first? And for that matter, where did At. Madrid come?

On the plus side, I'm almost at the dreaded 25th July crash-date (let's hope the game keeps running) and I've actually had no bids for Robinho so far. He's unhappy and not playing well, but maybe he will end up staying with me and recover? I'm also riding my luck as I've rejected bids for Zhirkov, Elano and others (£28m for Zhirkov! but he's playing so well I see no reason to lose him, his "replacement" would probably refuse to join me anyway ;)) and none of them have complained so far, they all have "happy to stay with the club" or similar. I'm wondering whether to jettison Jo, who I have no use for other than as a backup striker, and I've already sold Diarra for £15m and Hamann for a few thousand to lighten my squad. Got Tymoshyuk to replace Diarra, may not be the best choice on present form but his scout report said he was better than Diarra anyway, and I have Fernandes who is a proven player just in case.

I offered Aguero full salary, full clauses, everything. He said he had no intentions of leaving Atletico Madrid. I may try again, at least I know I can get the bid accepted, but I don't hold high hopes.

Out of curiosity, what were your league positions in your first season, to those who said they bought Aguero in the second season? Maybe you have to win the league first? And for that matter, where did At. Madrid come?

On the plus side, I'm almost at the dreaded 25th July crash-date (let's hope the game keeps running) and I've actually had no bids for Robinho so far. He's unhappy and not playing well, but maybe he will end up staying with me and recover?

Came 2nd in the league in year 1.

i m very stupid with this team..

1st tactic:

------------------igor akinfeev-------------

M. Richard--Company--Dunne--Marcelo

-----------diego-------palombo------------

elano---------G. rossi----Matias fernandez

-----------------Robinho--------------------

2 tactic:

------------------igor akinfeev-------------

M. Richard--Company--Dunne--Marcelo

----------------Palombo---------------------

elano--------------------------M fernandes

----------G. rossi----Robinho--------------

-------------------Owen---------------------

Now, 10th match,..

and Im in 17st EPL position...

HAHAAHA sadden.....hicks

whats wrong with them???

You've been a bit stupid selling two good young homegrown players for a combined total of less than 10m.

Johnson will start for England by 2011 on the game and Ireland also comes very good, I wouldn't have sold either and if I was, not for under 12-15m each.

Hey guys,

Just started a network game with a few friends and decided to go for City..

As others were playing as members of the 'big four', I've decided the only way I'm going to compete with them is a complete squad overhaul, using the vast financial backing. I selected 'Title Challenge' for my season expectations, and managed to bump up the transfer kitty to a shade over £100million.

Coming to the end of pre-season now, and unfortunately all the money has gone. Quite happy with my buys though, which were:

M.Veloso - £14m

A.Palombo - £14.25m

J.Moutinho - £12m

A.Arshavin - £11.75m

P.Pogrebynak - £6.5m

D.Buonanotte - £8m

J.Yobo - £11m

G.Pandev - £11m

M.Chrétien - £5.5m

Got rid of a few players too, totalling £15million income.

Planning on playing a 4-3-2-1 formation, playing possession football with the full-backs bombing forward and providing me with some width.

Team will look like this assuming everyone's fit:

GK: Hart

DR: Richards/Chrétien

DL: Garrido

DC: Dunne/Richards

DC: Yobo/Richards

MRC: Moutinho

(D)MC: Palombo

MLC: Veloso

AMRC: Elano/Arshavin

AMLC: Robinho/Pandev

ST: Pogrebynak

The main problem with that team for me is Garrido at DL. Although he's competent he's not of the standard I'd like. I had a deal for Lescott tied up but unfortunately with all the signings I've made, and the subsequent large salaries I'm dishing out, I ran out of cash in the wage budget so had to shift the remainder of my transfer kitty over there.

Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated, and if anyone could let me know whether you get money to spend in January/Next year? Balance down to £100million and I doubt that's going to do anything but fall at a constant pace throughout the year, so wondering whether you get some sort of cash injection from the owners?

Cheers guys :thup:

Creeo.

It seems my striker problems and transfer dealings find me spiralling around Man United. Having sold Diarra to the rags over summer (only because noone else would match their offer and I felt like cashing in) I played them in the Community Shield (I somehow won the FA Cup last season, some of my performances were incredible there) and saw Diarra score a great goal agaisnt me in his first competitive game in Red. Therein followed two Robinho goals for City, and a terrific 4-2 win, though at 2-1 down with half an hour to go it seemed the squad had stopped playing. Robinho's happiness is now superb, though he still wants to leave, and I find myself ever more hopeful of clinging onto him - no bids forthcoming so far. After extensive scouting just about everywhere, meanwhile, I find myself bidding for Diego Forlan, who is literally the only player of a decent enough quality who has shown any interest in the scout reports. However, can I be at rest with myself buying a player with 63 appearances for United? I think I'm going to have to, looks like he's the only striker I have a chance of signing.

To put it simply, I just don't have a clue what's going on anymore, as regards my future striker line-up.

Haven't been able to do anything with Jo, by the way, so I sold him on. The blighter first demanded £13k a week from me til 2012 as he was signing a cheaper contract, though :(

In my demo game, I've brought in: Arshavin, Tymoshuk, Marcelo, Wijnaldum, Mandanda

I've played a lot of different tactics, but currently a narrow attacking diamond with lots of passing through the middle:

GK Mandanda

DL Marcelo

DC Dunne

DC Richards

DR Zabaleta

DM Tymoshuk

MC Gelson Fernandes

MC Wijnaldum / Ireland / Johnson

AMC Elano

ST Arshavin (Free Role)

ST Robinho

The two MCs are a worry as none of them seem very consistent. But the worst problems are, as predictable, team gelling and inexperienced manager problems :) End of October, 5 points, though this includes a win against Liverpool :)

Playing as Man City as I wanted to create a 433 tactic and they have the money to buy the players for the system I want to try. The 433 is 3 central midfielders and 3 central strikers. Only played through the preseason games and 2 UEFA games and scored almost 30 goals and have yet to concede.

First choice 11 is the following:

GK Hart

DR SWP

DL Zhirkov

DC Richards

DC Dune

MC Veloso

MC Palombo

MC Moutinho

FC Robinho

SC Jo

FC Palacio

SWP and Zhirkov are being trained as full backs and do a great job attacking the space as the opposition tries to deal with the 3 forwards and 3 central midfielders. 2 outer forwards are Palacio and Robinho who have free roles and run will ball often plus also swap positions and they seem to cause havoc. The 3 central midfielders are all good at through balls and shooting from distance. Amazingly I am yet to concede or look like conceding but the real test is when the league starts. SWP and Zhirkovs team seem to get me out of a lot of trouble due to their pace and Dunne and Richards have done well with the high balls.

Tempted to bring in someone to replace Jo or Benjani as not sure either will be a great target man but not looking for them to score a lot of goals but to drop deep and hold up the ball and link up midfield and attack so perhaps they can both do that job.

Just started with Man City with the patched version and went on a spending spree (like we all do!)

Bought:

Sakho, Santon, Henri Saivet, Martin Galvan, Enyeama, Daniel Aquino - for the future

Veloso, Palomba, Matias fernandez, Vela, Srna - for the current squad.

Sold:

Ireland, Fernandes, ball and Schmeichel.

I have £13 million left roughly. So, any ideas?

Fiorillo, Asenjo, Arshavin, Moutinho, Riquelme, Zhirkov, Cardozo, Huntelaar, Keirrison, Pandev, Witsel and diarra are all players I think I should be able to get for that amount.

Probably going to skip Moutinho and Diarra as I think I have enough MC and DMC options. So do I get a young striker, Cardozo or Guilherme for example and hope that they get some goals or should I stick with maybe getting Arshavin or Riquelme to add some attack to my midfield, feel that my middle could use a goal threat. (Elano/SWP share the AMR spot and Fernandez/Petrov share the AML spot). Or do I move Elano into the middle and get someone for the wings? (Zhirkov?). Trying all kinds of different tactics so can't say yet what I am looking for.

Any help appreciated as always :)

Archived