FM2009: Official Liverpool FC Thread - Fields Of Anfield Road: Sponsored by El Nino

weeeman27bob

It seems like it was years ago when I was making most of the posts in this thread. But alas, that's not the case now. Before I start the main part of my post, can I urge you to have a look at this thread and to do the right thing :D

Season 2010/11 - (yes it has taken me this long to play three seasons)

Premiership: 1st - Chelsea pushed us very close, and I eventually won by two points after we beat them in a thrilling game late on in the season

Champions League: Winners (v. R. Madrid) - Cruised through this really and the final was the only hard game.

FA Cup: Winners (v. Chelsea) - Some great games in this including a thrilling 3-3 draw away at Old Trafford before winning the replay.

League Cup: Semi Final (v. Everton) - Played a B team all the way through and we were unlucky to go out.

Transfers

Player Stats

Squad

Goal Keepers

Reina

Garay (regen)

Reina is unhappy and will finish his contract next year. Will probably try and sell him to make sure I get some money out of him. Garay is super and will be first choice keeper for ages.

Centre Backs

Fazio

Carragher

Agger

Skrtel

Good depth, but I probably need another great player to partner Fazio.

Right backs

Azpilicueta

Arbeloa

A solid area, with a great starter and good backup.

Left Back

Insua

Mattock

My assistant doesn't rate either of these two very highly but good alternatives for attacking full backs seem to be very expensive.

Centre Midfielders

Camacho

Gerrard

Alonso

Mascherano

Four very good and dependable players. Might try to bring a fifth in to partner Camacho in the future.

Left Wingers

Marquinhos

Fleck

Riera

Babel

Mata (coming in)

Barret (regen)

Far to many players here. Will probably try to sell Babel and Riera. Barret isn't great, but can do the job. Mata coming in as a match winner.

Right wingers

Marquinhos

Riera

Gerrard

Could probably do with a new player here, but I think just retraining one should be fine.

Strikers

Aguero

Torres

Vagner Love

Duarte (regen)

no improvements needed here whatsoever.

Transfer targets

Backup goalkeeper - Asjeno?, Renan?

Young Centre Back - Sakho? Breno?

Attacking left full back - Vargas? Guaradado?

Young Centre Midfield - Kroos? Schniderin (sp)?

With a budget of around £35 million who would you suggest?

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like it was years ago when I was making most of the posts in this thread. But alas, that's not the case now. Before I start the main part of my post, can I urge you to have a look at this thread and to do the right thing :D

Season 2010/11 - (yes it has taken me this long to play three seasons)

Premiership: 1st - Chelsea pushed us very close, and I eventually won by two points after we beat them in a thrilling game late on in the season

Champions League: Winners (v. R. Madrid) - Cruised through this really and the final was the only hard game.

FA Cup: Winners (v. Chelsea) - Some great games in this including a thrilling 3-3 draw away at Old Trafford before winning the replay.

League Cup: Semi Final (v. Everton) - Played a B team all the way through and we were unlucky to go out.

Transfers

Player Stats

Squad

Goal Keepers

Reina

Garay (regen)

Reina is unhappy and will finish his contract next year. Will probably try and sell him to make sure I get some money out of him. Garay is super and will be first choice keeper for ages.

Centre Backs

Fazio

Carragher

Agger

Skrtel

Good depth, but I probably need another great player to partner Fazio.

Right backs

Azpilicueta

Arbeloa

A solid area, with a great starter and good backup.

Left Back

Insua

Mattock

My assistant doesn't rate either of these two very highly but good alternatives for attacking full backs seem to be very expensive.

Centre Midfielders

Camacho

Gerrard

Alonso

Mascherano

Four very good and dependable players. Might try to bring a fifth in to partner Camacho in the future.

Left Wingers

Marquinhos

Fleck

Riera

Babel

Mata (coming in)

Barret (regen)

Far to many players here. Will probably try to sell Babel and Riera. Barret isn't great, but can do the job. Mata coming in as a match winner.

Right wingers

Marquinhos

Riera

Gerrard

Could probably do with a new player here, but I think just retraining one should be fine.

Strikers

Aguero

Torres

Vagner Love

Duarte (regen)

no improvements needed here whatsoever.

Transfer targets

Backup goalkeeper - Asjeno?, Renan?

Young Centre Back - Sakho? Breno?

Attacking left full back - Vargas? Guaradado?

Young Centre Midfield - Kroos? Schniderin (sp)?

With a budget of around £35 million who would you suggest?

I don't know the the sale price in your game for these players, if you can how much of those can you buy, is it only the one or more do you think?

Have I ever told you guys how much I genuinely Love Fernando Torres? We're talking true love, almost like Gay love. I love him more than it is reasonable for a man to love another man :D

Anyway, I've started a new game which is going really well. Torres scored in the Merseyside derby at Goodison in a 2-0 win, then again in the Champions League 3rd Qual. Rnd, 2nd Leg (7-1 on aggregate VS Slavia Prague), and then scored (how ironic is this after this weekend's match?) a hat-trick at Anfield against Hull City!

So I released a comment saying I was "pleased with his recent displays" and he responded by saying "he was happy with his recent displays and hopes to play even better in future".

Then I checked his personal screen and:

torresl.jpg

It only took a single comment! He loves me too!

'Nando

:**)

just finished 2nd season.

Won PL (90pts), CL (Barca 4-2, and the mancs 8-3 in semi!) and Carling cup! will post screens this week.

buys: Bojan £52m (10+42) Mata £19m release clause, Alex Texeira £7.5m Kroos £15m, Bender, Fatic, Howedes, Bostock and a few regens.

sold Alonso for £19m and have £72m left.

my best players in the game are Alex Texeira, Srna, Torres and Gerrard.

ahh i was just reading the first page of posts. remembering this time last year we were all so excited about the prospect of playing the 09 demo :) those were the days eh :D

~~Stevie G~~

What really annoys me is that, despite my informing him of his error quite a while back, weeman still hasn't corrected the number of season ticket holders on the OP. It says 2800 when really it should be 28000. :mad:

Yes, a bit pedantic, but still... :D

What really annoys me is that, despite my informing him of his error quite a while back, weeman still hasn't corrected the number of season ticket holders on the OP. It says 2800 when really it should be 28000. :mad:

Yes, a bit pedantic, but still... :D

I hear if you ask nice mods they might fix those errors, you better find a nice mod though Wee Aja. ;)

Pedant indeed by the way. :thup:

I'm done now with my first season!

Was a good season I think.

I won the Premier League, and I also didn't lose a single match in the PL ! That has never happend to me before. :)

In the FA Cup I lost against Sheffield United in the 5th round....

In the League Cup I lost the finale against Everton on penelties...

And the highlight was the 1-0 victory against Barcelona in the Champions League finale!

---

Squad performance:

liverpoolsquadseason1.jpg

Nistelrooy had a very good season, but I might sell him now (he is getting old).. I will also sell Glenn Johnson I think, and maybe put Kuyt, Benayoun and Aurelio on the transfer list.

If I sell Nistelrooy I need to buy a striker. Someone like Huntelaar, Amauri, Pogrebonyak... Another option is to keep Nistelrooy and sell Torres, and buy Aguero, but I don't know how much that would cost me..

And I need a backup winger if I sell Benayoun and Kuyt. Thinking of someone like Govou, Santana, Gonzalez, Farfan...

---

Also, in the "chairman status" it says: In the process of a board takeover.

I hope it is a super rich man that will take over :D

---

edit: So I've done some transfers now... I got alot of players back who I have had out on loan and have sold them now.. Also decided to sell Nistelrooy...

Out:

Sotiris Kyrgiakos - Ajax - 3,2m Euro.

Nabil El Zahar - Newcastle - 2,1m.

Andreas Dossena - Juventus - 7m.

Dirk Kuyt - Real Madrid - 18m.

Diego Cavalieri - Barcelona - 3,2m.

Ruud van Nistelrooy - Bordeaux - 6m.

Phillip Degen - Montepellier - 900k.

In:

Arjen Robben - FC Bayern - 30m.

Oscar Cardozo - Benfica - 13m.

Dmytri Chygrynskiy - Barcelona - Loan 6 months with option to buy for 2,5m.

Hans-Jörg Butt - FC Bayern - Loan 12 months.

When I sold Kuyt I got more money than I thought I'd get, so I decided to buy Robben!

I am still looking for a striker, have ~20m left... Have made an offer for Huntelaar but I don't think they'll accept it... I might also need to sign a RB on loan for a few months as Azpilicueta got some "serious viral infection" and will be out for 7-8 months... A backup keeper would also be good as I sold Cavalieri...

edit again: I finally managed to sell Phillip Degen! ..I Also bought a striker (Cardozo)... And I took in Dmytri Chygrynskiy on loan.

I have also put Aurelio and Glenn Johnson on the transfer list and I will sell them if I get good offers.

Looking forward to the new season now :)

Has anyone got any extended experience with any of the following players?

Benzema, Keirrison, Gourcuff...?

early in their first season but not exactly firing.

i've had benzema for 3 seasons now. scores quite a handful but usually does not finish ahead of torres in terms of goals (unless torres is out for some time). i use knap's tactics and formation so torres plays on the right as the striker playing off the shoulder. benzema is more of a deeper striker. put him on torres' left. should work fine. praise him like you would for torres.

Has anyone got any extended experience with any of the following players?

Benzema, Keirrison, Gourcuff...?

early in their first season but not exactly firing.

Benzema is great. Double footed, great technical stats, good composure and good physical stats, but he is a bit injury prone, but not that much. Gourcuff is amazing. One of my favorite players in FM and IRL. He is a great controller of the game. He gets a fair amount of assists + good dribbling. Keirrison is a beast but he is a injury prone.

At what age would Torres stop scoring for fun i.e he deteriorates as a a player? Has anyone here come to that point?

In 2020 on my longest save on FM09, he was Liverpool's all-time leading scorer, still playing as Liverpool captain in his late 30's and still scoring regularly as well. This included regular Champions League football. Torres will play forever :***)

In 2020 on my longest save on FM09, he was Liverpool's all-time leading scorer, still playing as Liverpool captain in his late 30's and still scoring regularly as well. This included regular Champions League football. Torres will play forever :***)

On my longest save i done i think when i last played it i was in 2021/2022 and Torres was due to retire at the end of the season he was playing a few games and stil getting the odd goal

Can anybody recommend some 'home grown' players that would be good enough for Liverpool in the 1st season?

Do you mean the likes of Santon who you could buy and within 3 years be Homegrown? otherwise the only other players will be people from the ressies or ex Liverpool lads like Warnock

So there is nobody basically? Im just lookin to get a bit of English blood in the 1st team. Warnock would cost too much as on the update, He is at Aston Villa. I was thinking about bringin in James Milner as cover for the wings and maybe Ryan Shawcross but i have just signed Chiellini and cant shift Kyrgiakos unless he goes on loan

Im not buying 'Mainly' English, Id just prefer more English players in my squad. Like i said, Ive signed Chiellini and Arda is waiting for a wp, Will probably go for Giovinco as well but im still lookin at home grown players. Why are they so damn expensive though?!?!

i gave in and started a new game. couldnt help it.

players in:

miguel veloso -£11.75m sporting cp

glen johnson - £10 portsmouth

zdravko kuzmanovic £13.25m fiorentina

Players out:

daniel pachecho - accrington - loan

charles itandje - A.S nancy lorraine £2.5m

lucas - man city - £10m

yossi benayoun - newcastle £10m

andrea dossena - sunderland - loan fee £1.4m

phillip degen - bolton - loan fee £275k

martin hansen - blackpool £9k

hakan duyan free

currently in the group stage of the champions league along with Zenit, FC bayern and brann.

got drawn against man ure in the league cup 4th round away

and currently 2nd in the premership behind arsenal on goal difference only.

~~Stevie G~~

Outline

After 3 seasons incharge of Sevilla (2008-11) I decided to leave them and take over Liverpool after Juande Ramos was sacked for not qualifying for the Champions League. (Rafa Benitez had left in March 2010 to take over at Internazionale).

In my time with Sevilla I won the Champions League (2009-10) and a couple of other trophies, but I couldn't break the dominance of Real Madrid and Barcelona in La Liga, (91pts was only good enough for 3rd), so deciding that my best simply wouldn't be good enough to take Sevilla to the next step, I decided to take the challenge of resurrecting Liverpool, who in three seasons hadn't won a trophy.

The first thing I did was to get all my backroom staff in order. I let five members of the staff leave, (well, I sacked them), as I wanted to bring as many of my old staff from Sevilla as possible. I did this, recruiting my previous assistant manager, aswell as 7 other coaches, and 1 scout.

Transfer Activity

Next it was time to asses the squad and decide which players to keep and which to sell, and who could be brought in to improve the squad. Upon my appointment I was handed £47million to spend, (and that was before I started selling players!), with the aim of regaining a place a Champions League place in the coming season.

Players Out;

The squad I inherited had a lot of quality in it, but lacked balance. A massive 13 first team players left the club in the summer, raising me £58million.

Niko Kranjcar - £10million - Atletico Madrid

Dirk Kuyt - £10million - Arsenal

Miralem Sulejmani - £10million - Wolfsburg

Albert Riera - £6.5million - Aston Villa

Kevin Doyle - £6million - Galatasary

Steven Fletcher - £6million - West Brom

David N'Gog - £4.5million - Middlesbrough

Damien Plessis - £2million - Panathinaikos

Mikel San Jose - £2million - Gimnastic

Roland Huth - £1.2million - Recreativo

Gokhan Inler - Part Exchange - Sevilla

Andriy Voronin - Free - Recreativo

Antonio Doblas - Free - Deportivo

I also released ten other reserve and youth team players from the club.

Alot of the players sold I would have happily kept in different circumstances, but as I already said the squad was very unbalanced, and also alot of the sold players were on pretty sizeable wages. (Steven Fletcher only player in 20 games last season, yet was on £35k p/w)

Players In;

After selling all the players above I had just over £100million to spend. I went out and signed seven players at a cost of just £24.5million. That figure was kept so low because the major signing of the summer was made via a part-exchange deal. It was also because not many players were needed to help advance the team, even after selling so many.

Jack Collison - £7.5million - Crystal Palace

Sebastian Blanco - £6million - Sevilla

Emir Faccioli - £4million - Sevilla

Fabian Delph - £3.2million - Aston Villa

Ruben Rochina - £3million - Hercules

Silvio Proto - £375k - Roma

Alvaro Negredo - Part Exchange - Sevilla

Most of the players who were signed will be squad players who will add depth to the side. Only Alvaro Negredo will be an almost certain starter. He was sensational for me at Sevilla - letting Gokhan Inler go in exchange for him was an easy decision.

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers;

13.Nikolay Mihaylov

25.Jose Manuel Reina

31.Silvio Proto

Defenders;

2.Glen Johnson

3.Emir Faccioli

5.Daniel Schwaab

6.Martin Demichelis

12.Fabio Aurelio

16.Cedric Mongongu

22.Emiliano Insua

23.Jamie Carragher

Midfielders;

4.Alberto Aquilani

7.Joao Moutinho

8.Steven Gerrard

11.Rafael van der Vaart

15.Yossi Benayoun

18.Fabian Delph

20.Javier Mascherano

24.Sebastian Blanco

26.Jack Collison

Forwards;

9.Fernando Torres

10.Alvaro Negredo

14.Roque Santa Cruz

19.Ruben Rochina

28.Daniel Pacheco

The Season So Far

We have started the league season well, winning five of our opening six games. So far we have scored 12 goals as Torres and Negredo have struck up a good partnership. The most pleasing results have been the ones we have had to grind out, such as the 1-0 win at home to Hull after being reduced to 10 men after one minute.

Stoke (A) 1-0 (Negredo)

Tottenham (H) 2-1 (Torres; Moutinho)

Hull (H) 1-0 (Santa Cruz)

Man City (A) 1-1 (Negredo)

Fulham (H) 3-0 (Insua; Torres 2)

West Brom (A) 4-2 (Negredo; Torres; v.d.Vaart; Own Goal)

We are currently top of the league, one point ahead of Arsenal. We now have a run of six very winnable games before facing Arsenal at Anfield.

Qualification for the group stage of the Europa League was required. We were drawn against Gaziantepspor of Turkey in the 4th qualifying stage. The first leg away from home, and we struggled but a 1-0 win, which was achieved thanks to Negredo on debut. In the second leg we destroyed them 8-0, with Negredo getting a hat-trick, Gerrard two, Santa Cruz, an own goal, and lat strike from substitute Daniel Pacheco.

In the group stage we have been drawn against Stuttgart, Rapid Vienna, and Rapid Bucharest, whom we have already beaten in our opening group game 3-0 at Anfield, (Torres with a brace and Negredo with one). Next we face a trip to Germany to face Stuttgart, and while this tournament is not a seasonal priority, it would be nice to win it.

In the 3rd round of the Carling cup we defeated Doncaster 3-0 at their ground. Ruben Rochina got two on his debut, and Steven Garrard got one as a late sub. In the 4th round we host Chelsea.

------------------------------------------------

A very good start to the season then, and hopefully a sign of things to come in future.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I hope the read wasn't too long for you!

Outline

After 3 seasons incharge of Sevilla (2008-11) I decided to leave them and take over Liverpool after Juande Ramos was sacked for not qualifying for the Champions League. (Rafa Benitez had left in March 2010 to take over at Internazionale).

In my time with Sevilla I won the Champions League (2009-10) and a couple of other trophies, but I couldn't break the dominance of Real Madrid and Barcelona in La Liga, (91pts was only good enough for 3rd), so deciding that my best simply wouldn't be good enough to take Sevilla to the next step, I decided to take the challenge of resurrecting Liverpool, who in three seasons hadn't won a trophy.

The first thing I did was to get all my backroom staff in order. I let five members of the staff leave, (well, I sacked them), as I wanted to bring as many of my old staff from Sevilla as possible. I did this, recruiting my previous assistant manager, aswell as 7 other coaches, and 1 scout.

Transfer Activity

Next it was time to asses the squad and decide which players to keep and which to sell, and who could be brought in to improve the squad. Upon my appointment I was handed £47million to spend, (and that was before I started selling players!), with the aim of regaining a place a Champions League place in the coming season.

Players Out;

The squad I inherited had a lot of quality in it, but lacked balance. A massive 13 first team players left the club in the summer, raising me £58million.

Niko Kranjcar - £10million - Atletico Madrid

Dirk Kuyt - £10million - Arsenal

Miralem Sulejmani - £10million - Wolfsburg

Albert Riera - £6.5million - Aston Villa

Kevin Doyle - £6million - Galatasary

Steven Fletcher - £6million - West Brom

David N'Gog - £4.5million - Middlesbrough

Damien Plessis - £2million - Panathinaikos

Mikel San Jose - £2million - Gimnastic

Roland Huth - £1.2million - Recreativo

Gokhan Inler - Part Exchange - Sevilla

Andriy Voronin - Free - Recreativo

Antonio Doblas - Free - Deportivo

I also released ten other reserve and youth team players from the club.

Alot of the players sold I would have happily kept in different circumstances, but as I already said the squad was very unbalanced, and also alot of the sold players were on pretty sizeable wages. (Steven Fletcher only player in 20 games last season, yet was on £35k p/w)

Players In;

After selling all the players above I had just over £100million to spend. I went out and signed seven players at a cost of just £24.5million. That figure was kept so low because the major signing of the summer was made via a part-exchange deal. It was also because not many players were needed to help advance the team, even after selling so many.

Jack Collison - £7.5million - Crystal Palace

Sebastian Blanco - £6million - Sevilla

Emir Faccioli - £4million - Sevilla

Fabian Delph - £3.2million - Aston Villa

Ruben Rochina - £3million - Hercules

Silvio Proto - £375k - Roma

Alvaro Negredo - Part Exchange - Sevilla

Most of the players who were signed will be squad players who will add depth to the side. Only Alvaro Negredo will be an almost certain starter. He was sensational for me at Sevilla - letting Gokhan Inler go in exchange for him was an easy decision.

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers;

13.Nikolay Mihaylov

25.Jose Manuel Reina

31.Silvio Proto

Defenders;

2.Glen Johnson

3.Emir Faccioli

5.Daniel Schwaab

6.Martin Demichelis

12.Fabio Aurelio

16.Cedric Mongongu

22.Emiliano Insua

23.Jamie Carragher

Midfielders;

4.Alberto Aquilani

7.Joao Moutinho

8.Steven Gerrard

11.Rafael van der Vaart

15.Yossi Benayoun

18.Fabian Delph

20.Javier Mascherano

24.Sebastian Blanco

26.Jack Collison

Forwards;

9.Fernando Torres

10.Alvaro Negredo

14.Roque Santa Cruz

19.Ruben Rochina

28.Daniel Pacheco

The Season So Far

We have started the league season well, winning five of our opening six games. So far we have scored 12 goals as Torres and Negredo have struck up a good partnership. The most pleasing results have been the ones we have had to grind out, such as the 1-0 win at home to Hull after being reduced to 10 men after one minute.

Stoke (A) 1-0 (Negredo)

Tottenham (H) 2-1 (Torres; Moutinho)

Hull (H) 1-0 (Santa Cruz)

Man City (A) 1-1 (Negredo)

Fulham (H) 3-0 (Insua; Torres 2)

West Brom (A) 4-2 (Negredo; Torres; v.d.Vaart; Own Goal)

We are currently top of the league, one point ahead of Arsenal. We now have a run of six very winnable games before facing Arsenal at Anfield.

Qualification for the group stage of the Europa League was required. We were drawn against Gaziantepspor of Turkey in the 4th qualifying stage. The first leg away from home, and we struggled but a 1-0 win, which was achieved thanks to Negredo on debut. In the second leg we destroyed them 8-0, with Negredo getting a hat-trick, Gerrard two, Santa Cruz, an own goal, and lat strike from substitute Daniel Pacheco.

In the group stage we have been drawn against Stuttgart, Rapid Vienna, and Rapid Bucharest, whom we have already beaten in our opening group game 3-0 at Anfield, (Torres with a brace and Negredo with one). Next we face a trip to Germany to face Stuttgart, and while this tournament is not a seasonal priority, it would be nice to win it.

In the 3rd round of the Carling cup we defeated Doncaster 3-0 at their ground. Ruben Rochina got two on his debut, and Steven Garrard got one as a late sub. In the 4th round we host Chelsea.

------------------------------------------------

A very good start to the season then, and hopefully a sign of things to come in future.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I hope the read wasn't too long for you!

Some good ins there plus a few good prices for your outgoings Negredo seems to be doing very well never bought him before good luck for the rest of the season

Ok, If somebody could help me set up Gerrards instructions, I think im ready to challenge for the title. My first team:

GK: Reina/Cavalieri/Fiorillo

DR: Johnson/Clyne

DL: Insua/Aurelio

DC: Carragher/Skrtel/Beevers

DC: Chiellini/Agger/Kyrgiakos

MC: Mascherano/Edge

MC: Lucas/Spearing

AMR: Bentley/Kyut

AML: Giovinco/Babel

AMC: Gerrard/Kroos

SC: Torres/Delfouneso/Voronin

I know some of my signings are a little suspect, eg: Clyne and Delfouneso but i have had really good performances from both on other saves.

just won the prem for the 2nd year running.

will post screens later. cl semi, league cup final, fa cup early on.

ironically lost to Chelsea in both domestic cups.

Benzema, Gerrard, Torres and Srna are my best players.

anyone know how long Gerrard and Carragher last for age wise? (patch 9.03)

I'm looking for some wingers that cut inside on the susie patch, first season January transfer window. I have 72million remaining after the club got bought :D

So I'm looking for players that tend to cut inside, players like Matias Fernandez (right footed who plays on the left). I need a player like that for the left and the right.

Also what kind of stats should I be looking for witha player like this? Is crossing that important if they will be cutting inside or will they just cross the ball from slightly deeper? Would it be worth splashing a load of cash on wingers like David Silva or Cristian Rodriguez and train them on the right?

aLlamaWithARifle

Would try and get the fee down for Buonanotte, but if not possible they I would still pay the £22million. Everyone knows he's a cracking player, and for £22million you get a player who will perform for years to come. :thup:

Whats wrong with Glen Johnson at right-back? I'm halfway through season four, and although this is my first season incharge of Liverpool, Johnson has been nothing short of excellent in my short time as Liverpool.

Johnson is doing fine at right back but I would prefer someone slightly better defensively and someone slightly better in the air, I would go for Azpiliceueta but he has poor heading, I plan on using Glen Johnson as my second right back.

Just bought Diego Buonanotte, got him for £19.75mil in the end, hopefully he'll be a good signing

Archived