FM18: The English Football League Thread - EFL in FM18

Jogo Bonito

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers @smplfc123. Glad you've pulled away from the bottom three slightly. You might be surprised by Baldwin :D Had two great seasons in the championship for me. 

Good Business @robterrace. Crazy money you've brought in to the club.

Thanks @Jogo Bonito . Will keep an eye out on the Swiss thread for your progress! 

Peterborough End of Season Review 19/20

Badge.jpg.1740f5c787e3ec2dfc6edcb44732b759.jpg

Fixtures

So after an excellent first half of the season we struggled to keep up the fine form from the first year. However it was still fairly good. Not many defeats but way too many draws. Enough points to take us into the Play-off's though. We met Fleetwood in the Semi Finals. A draw in the first league was okay, but set up a tense second leg back at home. Thankfully Jack Marriott (Shock) sent us to Wembley!

Fixtures1.thumb.jpg.044083eed5baff73c997860b37325d13.jpg

Unfortunately we met our match in the final. After a strong first half, where Gwion Edwards slammed the ball in to give us the lead. We went in at half time 1 up. Sadly we were outclassed in the second half. A Lucas Piazon hat trick and another on top of that sent Fulham back into the prem. To be honest. It was probably a bit early for us to go up and we probably would have come straight back down. Hopefully we can give it a proper good go next year. 

1191547125_Playofffinal.thumb.jpg.f36b812830b9a214691c66f255e5c5ea.jpg

League Table

We finished in 3rd in the end but it meant nothing sadly. Going into the final day, all 4 play off sides went into it with the exact same points. Palace and Newcastle went up comfortably. 

1287915598_Leaguetable.thumb.jpg.f2e43c009c67596832f984a5c20128c8.jpg

Squad

After Baldwins injury Smith and Tafazoli were the main pairing at the back for the run in, both playing well. Lenihan and Haynes at full back were solid. 

Jermaine Anderson's development continued as his key role in the team continued. He's started to keep Colkett out of the side. We also gave some first time minutes to youth team graduate and 16 year old Paul Atherton. Barker cemented his place as the number 1 left midfielder over Johnson, mainly with next season in mind. 

Up top once again Marriott was incredible. Danny Rose also made the step up from league 2 hitting 14 goals and layed on an impressive 11. Unfortunately after Wyke got back amongst the goals after his broken leg, he tore his calf muscle and missed the rest of the season. 

Squad1.thumb.jpg.3379d2de461226397ce7ea1a92749374.jpg

Squad2.thumb.jpg.45111a10fc7a7e6a0832c0be61cbcde6.jpg

Jack Marriott also picked up the golden boot award and made the TOTY. 3 superb seasons out of 3 for Jack now.

1519546745_Goldenboot.thumb.jpg.3e77b1d165a96d7af60e6df251fe850c.jpg

An excellent season @sammo10 but so unlucky to lose out in the play-off final. If you have to lose to anyone, then I'm quite happy it was Fulham! As you say, it may work out to be a blessing, and if you can have another good season your turn may be on the horizon. Well done so far, and good to see Marriott still tearing it up!

@sammo10 Unlucky mate but still an excellent season!

It was so very nearly a case of famous last words for me.

When I left you last we were sitting 9 points and quite a few places above the relegation zone with 11 games left.

Here's how it finished:

image.thumb.png.e31ba54fbc5c2282482232d63ea493a3.png

1 win and 4 draws in those final 11 games meant we were only safe on the last day of the season. A 1-1 draw away to Derby despite us only having 10 men for an hour was horrific to watch as our season nearly blew up in our faces.

I mean, at the end of the day i'm happy. For one I've actually lasted a whole season with a team! And secondly my aim was to survive, which ultimately I did.

On to the summer and the plan is to do quite a big overhaul. I've cashed in 2 clauses on Mawson and Holgate, giving me around £8m to spend in the market. I don't normally do big overhauls, but I feel like the squad really does need quite a bit of improvement. 

I'm planning to cut all of the players who were on the fringes and bring in players to challenge for the first team and not just fill the gaps. I know this might be tricky with us being Barnsley and not having the biggest wage budget though.

It should be an interesting summer!

This wasn't what I was hoping the update would be about.

Despite the transfers in and out, I couldn't stop the horrendous slide that we ended on last season>

image.thumb.png.b46357e1378c78c01edeb6ef1fa15ac9.png

Despite picking up 3 draws in the last 3 games, the board gave me an ultimatum as 15 without a win just wasn't good enough.

I spat my dummy out and didn't even get a chance to reach a points total as the board decided enough was enough and they were going to replace me during the international break.

I was hoping the signings of Kaboul, Gallagher and Jerome would add vital experience to the squad and I still feel in time they would have, but the board wasn't having it and to be fair, the atmosphere in the dressing room was at an all time low.

Still, I'm happy to have finished a season and it's done nothing but made me hungry for another challenge.

Who to go next......?

That's a shame @smplfc123 . You going to go with the Championship again or something lower down ? 

Peterborough Season Preview 2020/21

Badge.jpg.900dd35a01764b44ae19eb2c67877e75.jpg

Transfers

After a few years of a very good net spend, we had a nice budget to play with. We didn't really get close to using it all in the end and mainly picked up some huge bargains. 

Transfers.thumb.jpg.d766637f83d8acc66ddf40f6cf2b2b6f.jpg

Out 

We let go quite a few squad players with the view of upgrading them. Washington left after 18 months. We signed him for a very cheap 180K and made a small profit on him. He scored a few goals, but never really looked like becoming a first choice. Charlie Colkett also left, one of my first signings for the club. He gave me three good seasons, but the club outgrew him somewhat. Beeney left as well, wanted more game time. 

The final two departures were in the backline. Lenihan and Lloyd. Lenihan had been a good servant but we needed to improve that area so I let him go. Lloyd never looked like breaking in and looked out of his depth when he played. Probably my worst signing so far. 

In 

231391791_LewisMorgan.jpg.94f3b2efb721c3eb015ab5fd7474f6db.jpg

Lewis Morgan - £475K - I didn't end up signing Marvin Johnson on the permanent deal. We went for the more youthful Lewis Morgan who came in from Celtic. I feel this will be a bargain and he should provide strong competition for Barker on the left side. 

326351390_KieranDowell.jpg.d482310491ee809255df383113579ec8.jpg

Keiran Dowell - Free - Next in was Kieran Dowell. A talented youngster that come through at Everton as a big prospect. Everton didn't give him a deal so i snapped him up. He's a technical player with so much ability and potential. Will take over from Colkett and will hopefully go on to do big things for us. 

KWP4.jpg.912855c6d3971f1755bb0ca67b0f785d.jpg

Kyle Walker-Peters - Free - Another free transfer, another potential star. A player I have high hopes for IRL as a Tottenham fan, I hope KWP can become a big player for us and should become a massive upgrade on Lenihan. 

980353426_Frediewoodma.jpg.6d0621888270f7968d2dbe159d9e1200.jpg

Freddie Woodman - Free - The final of the three, free wonderkids. Woodman also left in search of first team football. I now feel I have two keepers of equal standard and its up to him or Etheridge as to who wants the number one shirt. Could still go on to play for England. 

1688694322_CurtisNelson.jpg.3a96876aaef18e37f7706f914b803d82.jpg

Curtis Nelson - £650k - An old fashioned no nonsense centre back. Great physical and mental attributes and looks to be a natural leader. Will provide serious competition to Smith and Baldwin. 

1313396364_KeshiAnderson.jpg.74e7b008e9992cb84250cb05cc67cb29.jpg

Keshi Anderson - £240K - With Washington out the door I wanted a fourth striker. Anderson has had two good seasons on the bounce regularly hitting 20 goals. He also Genuine Pace. Hopefully he can make the step up as well as Rose did last year. 

679158125_RyanColclough.jpg.809065cd200e59b76cdb1968351ece38.jpg

Ryan Colclough - £275K - Colclough will come in to compete with Edwards. Not an easy task, but he's done well in League one for Wimbledon and I've given him the opportunity to try and do the same in the Championship.

Squad -

We'll be going into the season with the squad below. I think we've addressed our weaknesses and have a squad capable of having another good go, hopefully good enough to take that one last extra step. 

Squad1.thumb.jpg.6089d054b1ca07aafb05260198ecd62d.jpg

Squad2.thumb.jpg.250e8649025d70f85ed03ebb209b17ab.jpg

@sammo10 Some absolutely cracking signings there mate! I think young Morgan may go on to be the pick of the bunch.

I'm torn between starting a League 1 save or joining @Jogo Bonito over in Switzerland for a bit. I've built up a bit of FM confidence after managing to last 1 whole season with Barnsley. My main problem is finding a style and sticking to it. I change things too dramatically and too quickly if things don't go right.

Thanks @Jogo Bonito and @smplfc123. I was very surprised to see the first four all available. I think you may be right about Nelson. He’s not made the best of starts. I Think some of his very high physical and mental stats drew me in and made me ignore some of his flaws. Can’t see him breaking up the Nathan Smith, Jack Baldwin partnership anytime soon.

For some reason right footed natural wingers seem to be going extinct on my save. With Edwards being as great as he is, I wasn’t too keen on splashing out on someone that’s not likely to get in the side so Colclough is essentially just a cheap stop gap back up in case disaster strikes and Edwards gets injured.  if something better than colclough does appear at a reasonable price I probably will be tempted to spend.

Keshi Anderson though, I’m quite excited about. We lack some proper pace in the side. He’s notched 5 in 3 starts(+2 subs apps) so hopefully he can keep it going. 

@smplfc123 Have no experience in either league on this years version. But the Swiss league does look fun.

Best of luck @sammo10 and if Anderson keeps going at that rate, your choice will be vindicated! Colclough has potential and it's useful he can play on both sides. It's many years since I managed him at Crewe and as you say, sometimes you just need an option in case of injuries but without them demanding to be a starter every week. It makes sense.

@smplfc123 It won't be any easier in Switzerland with your reputation my friend! Wherever you end up, it will be good to hear about it though.

Started a save with Southend United in League One. Not the easiest save considering that the expectation is to finish in the top half but our midtable budget is being wasted on rubbish like Marc-Antoine Fortune! However there was still a fairly sizable £4k left in the wage budget and I've actually managed to increase that gap as I'll explain later. Facilities are decent for the league and a fairly high average attendance with still room to grow means that prospects are promising in the longer term.

The club has huge injury issues to start with and particularly in defence as the following players are all out with long term injuries:

Anthony Wordsworth - CM

Ben Coker - LB

Michael Turner - CB

Rob Kiernan - CB

There were also another couple or so out for the mid-term meaning that despite quite a large squad it would be hard for us to field an adequate first 11 let alone a squad that could cope with the gruelling fixture list of League One.

Priority was the defensive positions and the wings. Particularly LB, CB and LM so I entered the market to try and get players in those positions. However we missed out on quite a few free transfer targets and our £50k transfer budget did not give us many extra options so we fully utilised the loan market.

Transfers

Transfers.thumb.png.611a0b8f55cdc2e6724055e72990642c.png

I cancelled the loan of Spurs youngster Shayon Harrison which saved us £1k p/w in wages but more importantly allowed us to loan in more players with Sam Mantom being the only other loanee in the squad. Potentially a mistake made here as we are still low on numbers on the wing.

I also received an offer of £55k upfront for right winger Jermaine McGlashan. At 29 with a £2k p/w compensation and only being backup to Michael Kightly I decided to let him go. This boosted the bank balance and gave us 55% of the fee into our transfer budget but meant we were even weaker on the wings.

We brought in a number of players on loan to add to the squad:

Sam Field came in on a season long loan and will be a starter for us in centre midfield. This one was a big coup as Championship sides were interested in getting him and he'll be a quality player for this division.

Gillesphey was in brought in from Newcastle as our only CB signing and comes straight into the side alongside Anton Ferdinand.

Myles Kenlock was brought in as well and will be a starter for us at left-back especially since our best LB Ben Coker is out with a long term injury.

Bjordal, Smith and James were all brought in and have backups to our starting 11 to provide depth on the wings and upfront where we were lacking.

Results

Results.thumb.png.8c3d31e949dc0c72988f3b601d5902db.png

Decent enough so far this season and we don't lose many games however we are having big issues keeping clean sheets which has meant we have had far more draws than we really should have. Our next game is an Essex derby at home to Colchester in the Checkatrade cup where a draw should be enough to see us through to the next round.

League Table

Table.thumb.png.8a16e76089228f2d4562ae9d4a2877bb.png

Definitely in with a shout of a playoff place but got quite a lot of work to do being 4 points off! Strong sides like Blackburn being in good form and just behind us makes me nervous as well.

I'd be happy with a top 9/10 finish this season and make a proper promotion push next season when I can offload most of the deadwood and replace it with quality.

Also is anyone else having huge issues with finances?

Finances.thumb.png.7086964e3c76562e45f44a726956cc56.png

Haven't increased the wage bill at all and brought in £305k in player sales and player clauses with quite strong attendances. How do I stop leaking money?

@Duckelfsc Welcome and good luck with Southend. Not the easiest challenge but you've made a decent start indeed and as you say they do have some capacity to grow. I'm not familiar with them on the financial level, but it's not uncommon to lose money in L1/L2. Hopefully at the end of the season, the competition bonus might cover your deficit from throughout the season. Perhaps the original wage bill was too high and could not be sustained? It doesn't seem like anything you're doing wrong as far as I can see.

41 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Duckelfsc Welcome and good luck with Southend. Not the easiest challenge but you've made a decent start indeed and as you say they do have some capacity to grow. I'm not familiar with them on the financial level, but it's not uncommon to lose money in L1/L2. Hopefully at the end of the season, the competition bonus might cover your deficit from throughout the season. Perhaps the original wage bill was too high and could not be sustained? It doesn't seem like anything you're doing wrong as far as I can see.

From what I can see the prize money is only £10k+ and only if you finish 1st or 2nd in the league so can't rely on that. 

I might sell Simon Cox in Jan as his contract expires at the end of the season and currently I can't get him to sign a new one. Valued at £950k and also 30 so he has resell value that will decline.

• 2 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed reading through the thread this year. There has been lots of fantastic updates and saves that have been documented. I'm potentially looking at a final save of FM18 with Bolton, as the struggles irl have been interesting and I know that the financial state reflects that on the most part quite well. The thread has been a bit quiet the last week or so, so hopefully a bit of activity will soon be returned. 

Played some more of the Southend game and I'm now in Feb 2018 having completed the winter transfer window.

Here are the transfers I made which had a lot with trying to raise some money and stop the negative financial balance stacking up:

2090747319_Transfers2.thumb.png.53fa5e1ba41c248aae189ccf0a513ac8.png

Jordan McGhee and Craig Sibbald (both of Falkirk in the Scottish second tier) were signed as we needed some younger quality in the team that wasn't on loan. A bit steep at £180k for two guys whose contracts were up in six months but I wanted to ensure they didn't sign for anyone else and the fee for 2nd choice goalie Mark Oxley covered that alone.

The departure of Oxley for £180k was the reason we brought in two keepers on loan with Beeney and Renshaw joining. 

Sam Byrne came in as Sam Smith wanted to have his loan terminated due to lack of game time. Byrne hasn't been impressive so far so might also want to leave!

Some decent players left but none that I'd be too gutted to lose as they weren't starting for us. £570k brought in Jan is quite decent and makes our financial situation better.

The results so far have been decent and leave us in the playoff places with 12 league games to go. Still a lot of work to do however:

50844754_Table2.thumb.png.fd605db6388fe1063f78ba1864b5efe4.png

614363482_Results2-League.thumb.png.5a88205ce88e46fc3344dc6cef4b45b1.png

As you can see our away form is quite shaky but we are quite consistent at home. Hopefully we can maintain or increase that 2 point gap we have over the nearest playoff chasers.

Our cup results are quite disappointing and the home defeat to MK Dons in a winnable competition was frustrating. However it makes the schedule less hectic which could hopefully make a difference in the league run in:

982656293_Results2-Cups.thumb.png.6bd8bf3c95b3443c6c8373607046d9a6.png

The surprise of the season has been Freddie Ladapo who is really excelling in a TM-S role in a front two. My scouts don't rate him that highly and he's technically not great but he's currently joint top goalscorer in the league. His stats speak for themselves and it's so true that physical stats are really what matters at this level:

Ladapo.thumb.png.338b6f27f4e6e6d4bdc37eca0e2ba979.png

@Duckelfsc Great going with Southend, steady form and trying to address the financial situation is a delicate balancing act. Ladapo is a surprise yes!

@DefinitelyTaylor Good luck with Bolton if you start a game with them. A league 1 team with non-league finances playing in the Championship, that sounds like a tough challenge! I'm a big fan of Phil Parkinson and can vouch that he's a really smashing bloke too. If you can do a job anything like he has, you'll be doing very well indeed.

Starting with Leeds, and after trialling some pretty ordinary tactics, I think the 4-2-3-1 (with 2 mids in the DM slots) is looking decent enough. The main worry is the defence, as it really isn't suited to much at all (not good enough to defend deep and certainly not quick enough to defend high). 

Should be interesting trying to find the balance at the back, but with two deep mids, hopefully that will be enough to make up for it now.

Any ideas on good defensive signings at Championship level, btw? I signed Batth from Wolves for 2m (good, strong defender but poor on the ball) but some additional numbers would certainly help.

@LooseFirstTouch Unless you have a data update, the likes of Aden Flint, Adrian Mariappa (loan), Matthew Clarke, Ezri Konsa might be worth a look for the centre.

Full backs, maybe Joe Bennett or Joe Bryan for the left, and Jonjoe Kenny (loan) or Kyle Walker-Peters (loan) for the right?

These are just some domestic options, plenty more from overseas that would have no WP issues.

6 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@LooseFirstTouch Unless you have a data update, the likes of Aden Flint, Adrian Mariappa (loan), Matthew Clarke, Ezri Konsa might be worth a look for the centre.

Full backs, maybe Joe Bennett or Joe Bryan for the left, and Jonjoe Kenny (loan) or Kyle Walker-Peters (loan) for the right?

These are just some domestic options, plenty more from overseas that would have no WP issues.

Thanks mate, will definitely look into those guys. 

As for the save itself, it's been a bit of a slog. Tried a few different tactics, both defensive and attacking, but we've finally settled on a couple of 4231s (one with DMs and one with CMs). Leeds has been a little tough to get sorted out, largely because Pablo Hernandez has been in horrible form. That meant I needed to adjust things, so the AP on the left flank is now out of the equation, even though it should've worked nicely with Saiz in the AM slot on even in a deeper CM role. The defence is tricky too, as the FBs get beaten a lot and the CBs aren't good enough apart from Jansson.

Now, though, it's coming together. We're in the hunt for the promotion spots, just a couple of points outside. Our tactic is mostly possession based, and it's all about using Saiz as an AP and Alioski as an IF-A. It's creating some nice combinations, so we'll try and build the team around it.

It's the mid-season transfer window now too, so time to make some defensive acquisitions.

On 20/09/2018 at 01:05, LooseFirstTouch said:

Both CBs and FBs at the moment, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I agree with the ones that @Jogo Bonito mentioned, although I've not personally tried all of them.

Obviously depends on budget too, but i've found that Greg Leigh is a good youngster at Bury who can play LB. There's a young Left Back at Auxerre that for the life of me I can't remember the name of right now.

RB I would suggest Alakouch from Nimes. 

As for CB, I've had success with Diagne from Nancy for just over £1m. 

9 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

I agree with the ones that @Jogo Bonito mentioned, although I've not personally tried all of them.

Obviously depends on budget too, but i've found that Greg Leigh is a good youngster at Bury who can play LB. There's a young Left Back at Auxerre that for the life of me I can't remember the name of right now.

RB I would suggest Alakouch from Nimes. 

As for CB, I've had success with Diagne from Nancy for just over £1m

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. I actually watched Alakouch when Nimes played PSG recently, and he had an excellent game, so it would be cool to get him on board.

I just got through the transfer window, but I didn't strengthen at RB so he might be one to look at. As for signings, I ended up with Batth from Wolves for about 2m. He's a good, strong CB who happens to be pretty ordinary on the ball, but a big step up from what we've got. I also signed Kevin Long, another CB, on loan from Burnley, who will probably start alongside Jansson. His anticipation is a bit of a worry, but he's good everywhere else. My other defensive signing was Holebas, who I got on loan after Watford transfer listed him. 

Elsewhere, my other permanent deal was Mikkel Duelund. He has a long way to go, but his technical stats are excellent for a young AM and my scout likes his potential. He will be added to the rotation, and because we play 4-2-3-1, he'll get opportunities on the left on through the middle.

As for the save, we're still in 6th position. It's not bad considering how poorly we started, but it's tough to keep the momentum rolling along. The new signings should help a lot though, and if we can get Cutrone back in form, we should be able to stay in the play-off spots.

Just a quick update on my Leeds save. After a draw to Bolton - which involved 3 clear cut chances being missed - and a loss to Fulham, we've slipped down to 11th. Promotion is still doable, because we're only 4 points away from 6th, but the board is losing patience.

The tactic itself seems to be good, but we concede heaps of goals from opposition corners. Will check the forums for some corner routines, because the default ones clearly aren't great (or maybe my players aren't great at defending them). If we can sort that out, I think it should go alright.

Elsewhere, the board has lifted scouting restrictions following a request, and after being offered 5m for Tyler Roberts, I snapped up Paredes from the American league for 4m. My scout thinks he has 5-star potential, but we'll see how he goes when he eventually arrives.

On 26/09/2018 at 03:05, Jogo Bonito said:

@LooseFirstTouch I struggle with most aspects of defending in FM in the last few years, although it used to be my managerial strength.

They seem like decent signings, hopefully a few little tweaks will see you back in the play-off hunt.

Thanks mate. Yeah, defending is tricky, so much so that after a 0-0 draw with Bolton (I think it was Bolton) I've been sacked.

Starting another C'ship save though, this time with Fulham. Have had a closer look at the squad this time, and after the defensive problems with Leeds, I'm going to run with a 442 with two deep DMs. 

This should work, because Fulham have pace all over the show. That means I can set up the front four to be speedsters, and I'll have a sitting DM and either a DLP or REG to ping long balls up the pitch. 

Hopefully we'll get the defence a bit better this time, and it might go a little more smoothly.

Hi i'm a new FM player and thought that managing Wolves would be a good first save as they have some really good players for the championship, I brought andre andre from FC porto due to him being a really verstaile player as he can play at almost any team role in the midfield area, i also brought in michael lang to rotate with doherty.

nZZOd6.png

I was Surprised with how well i have done in my first season as i went unbeaten in almost 30 games, and won the carabao cup!

zXXq6z.png

kcelwS.png

So now I'm starting my 2018/19 season with a europa league qualification and a promotion to the Premier League.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for creating this great thread @Jogo Bonito, it’s been enjoyable sharing career stories with everyone. 

Haven’t had a chance to play FM18 for other a month as I’ve been travelling with work, but looking forward to getting started on FM19 when I’m back next month! 

5 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Looking forward to the FM19 thread, as I imagine one will be created be yourself again, @Jogo Bonito? :) 

Well, I have good news, and bad news :D.

The good news is that there will definitely be an FM19 version of this thread; the bad news is that Jogo, after doing it for many years, has signalled to the bench for a substitution and wondered if I'd do it. So I'm honoured - and somewhat daunted - to pick up the baton. They're big shoes to fill but I'll do my best; this was by a long distance my favourite thread of the last year.

So now that the question has been broached, I was planning on waiting until the full release, just in case anything of substance changes between now and then (there are often some changes re: player ratings, transfer values, etc after beta). But if there's a clamour for the new thread immediately, I'm happy to get to it in the next few days.

57 minutes ago, warlock said:

Well, I have good news, and bad news :D.

The good news is that there will definitely be an FM19 version of this thread; the bad news is that Jogo, after doing it for many years, has signalled to the bench for a substitution and wondered if I'd do it. So I'm honoured - and somewhat daunted - to pick up the baton. They're big shoes to fill but I'll do my best; this was by a long distance my favourite thread of the last year.

So now that the question has been broached, I was planning on waiting until the full release, just in case anything of substance changes between now and then (there are often some changes re: player ratings, transfer values, etc after beta). But if there's a clamour for the new thread immediately, I'm happy to get to it in the next few days.

Haha, good luck! Get it up immediately I say. :lol:

Archived