FM18: The English Football League Thread - EFL in FM18

Jogo Bonito

@robterrace incredible result against Huddersfield! Haha, I love those games where everything just comes together. Still, 14-0 is quite a beating!

Great transfers as well! Geubbels seems like a find at that level! I'm sure you will be having the title of Premier League manager in no time!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Adzke said:

@robterrace incredible result against Huddersfield! Haha, I love those games where everything just comes together. Still, 14-0 is quite a beating!

Great transfers as well! Geubbels seems like a find at that level! I'm sure you will be having the title of Premier League manager in no time!

Geubbels is ridiculous at Championship level, although, with the way the Portuguese guys are playing up front, hes not getting as much game time as he should.

991988357dc761e5926c062f28f87547.png

2 minutes ago, robterrace said:

Geubbels is ridiculous at Championship level, although, with the way the Portuguese guys are playing up front, hes not getting as much game time as he should.

That's the absolute joy of loan players! It's not really your own club's future you are wrecking :D 

Do you play the same lineup often? I have a really hard time getting green arrows between my players.

Peterborough Season preview 17/18

Badge.jpg.da2e59fc0994783f4861a6b715a42a7c.jpg

Transfers in

1140617312_LeonDavies.jpg.dd72fb30935b35b43dcf3e78d3f6eb55.jpg

Leon Davies (80K) - First signing was 17 year old right back Leon Davies from Cambridge. Will go straight in as number 2 right back despite his very young age. Already has some very solid stats in key areas and is pretty handy going forward as well as defending. Hoping to develop into a first team regular and hopefully he will be capable of going on to play at a higher level. 

1070439366_CharlieColkett.jpg.4a22968cf9db0a5ac5a47a3532a15437.jpg

Charlie Colkett (Loan) - A technically gifted centre midfielder that Chelsea have lent me. Definitely has the most ability at the club, but i am not 100% certain yet whether he is capable of playing in the 4-4-2 I am currently going with. If he does fit in then I have inserted a optional future fee of £325k which I will have no issue paying. 

Duffy.jpg.4cce722b5bb352c58848ea2acd4168d7.jpg

Michael Duffy (35K) - The second of three deadline day signings. I originally signed on a pre-contract free transfer, however was offered the chance to take him on 6 month early for a measly £35k. Coming in from the Irish league he's capable on either flank but I have bought him to compete with Gwion Edwards on that right hand side. A very strong dribbler that will hopefully create plenty of chances for our talented attack. 

Akinde.jpg.96289dc1a16e631bafc3543f9f7b07bd.jpg

John Akinde (300K) - Playing 2 up top I decided it was very important to have 4 strong strikers competing for the shirts. John Akinde has come in from Barnet to complete the quartet. Despite not really having a sell on value at 28, I could not look past his past 3 seasons where has hit at least 20 goals in each (31,23,26). Hopefully he can replicate those tallies in a tier above. He's incredibly strong and will no doubt provide something extra. 

Transfers out 

Anthony Grant (215K) - Was not in my plans and Barnsley offered him the chance to play up a level. Helped fund the Akinde move. 

I am looking forward to getting stuck into this save. I found that the first window was quite tough to make any big changes. I am pretty happy with the squad I will be going into the season with. Hopefully we can push on and potentially push for promotion. Most of the talent seems to be in the attack. Marcus Maddison and Gwion Edwards on the wings are mid table championship players at least. Delighted to have Jack Marriott up front and I hope he can replicated his real life form this season. He's likely to be partnered with either of the two big target men in the squad, Akinde and Bogle, who have both scored lots of goals in the lower leagues. 

Squad (Starting positions are not strongest XI. This was for a Carabao Cup game)

Squad1.thumb.jpg.94329843713fd93be7eab773f114fb96.jpg

Squad2.thumb.jpg.dbe4a5e5a2016a2ec1f6585f78c311e5.jpg

Badge.png

13 hours ago, Adzke said:

In four youth intakes at Blackburn, I have now had three golden generations, and once again, I am getting an absurd player. Three star CA from the get go. Now, left back is one of my weaker positions, but still three stars at a Premier League club seems pretty decent. Never seen anything like it before. Paul Smith had four, and if Steve Collins is anything like him, I'll be much pleased!

How are your intakes, @karanhsingh?

This guy looks excellent!! 

As for me, the first season we didn't have an intake. There were no regens added to the game. I think its because I started the game in Jan 2018 (Brazilian start date) as I wanted to pace through the first season. By the time I realised this, it was too late to restart. 

The second season, we had an average intake. This one guy looks decent, but I am mostly drawn towards him due to his amazing name :lol: I played him in a couple of Championship games last season after promotion was confirmed, but he was clearly far too raw.  He's being tutored by Marriott, let's see how he progresses. 391261119_RafaelCapito_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.dda8519a9826530273781aa161cf631f.png

I am far happier with the progress of the 3 academy stars at the beginning of the game, who are all coming along really nicely and established first-teamers now. They both have been tutored by senior players with excellent mental attributes so I suppose that has helped. Also a side note, I've had Raya on an individual training regime for his agility and that has gone from 11 to 14!

1386249451_DavidRaya_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.b3969ab56bf2b49ae2d0762d91aca51d.png

405591945_RyanNyambe_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.8b2e07f362e555de6fcb28afcfba9607.png

1362017226_JoeRankin-Costello_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.6316c77108531ef6765d8d313fd2b1f5.png

@robterrace - great work as always, looks like you're well on course for direct promotion :thup:

@sammo10 - I bought Marriott when we got promoted to the Championship last season and he has been excellent, playing as an Advanced Forward. He should definitely rip it up in League 1. He's now just about holding his own in the Prem as well.

31 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

@robterrace - great work as always, looks like you're well on course for direct promotion :thup:

Thanks, I just hope I can keep hold of the likes of Marques and Valente, as they're pretty much the backbone of the side and how we play.

@karanhsingh Raya is such a great keeper! I mistakenly gave ham a release clause as I was negotiating his first contract while in The Championship, and I declined to give him a new one when he asked for it less than a year later. That's how you lose a promising goalkeeper from your own academy for €8M to a league rival. Can't really recommend doing so...

15 minutes ago, Adzke said:

@karanhsingh Raya is such a great keeper! I mistakenly gave ham a release clause as I was negotiating his first contract while in The Championship, and I declined to give him a new one when he asked for it less than a year later. That's how you lose a promising goalkeeper from your own academy for €8M to a league rival. Can't really recommend doing so...

Totally agree... he asked for an 8.75 million release clause when negotiating a new contract so I just walked away from the table. Since then he's complained a couple of times but I've got other people to talk to him and keep in check. He's actually one of the few people still under 10k/ week in the squad.

Nyambe has a release clause of 18m so I should try to sign a new deal with him soon. With Rankin-Costello, managed to avoid a clause by offering him a slightly better deal.

On this note, I've realised that my captain & VC - Mulgrew & Smallwood - are absolutely amazing at talking to others in the team especially young players and persuading them. Basically, they do all my bidding for me. Must be because they are both very senior players + well respected in the squad + have high determination and mental attributes. 90% of the time if any player has an issue and I ask either of them to step in, the problem goes away :D 

Just now, karanhsingh said:

On this note, I've realised that my captain & VC - Mulgrew & Smallwood - are absolutely amazing at talking to others in the team especially young players and persuading them. Basically, they do all my bidding for me. Must be because they are both very senior players + well respected in the squad + have high determination and mental attributes. 90% of the time if any player has an issue and I ask either of them to step in, the problem goes away :D 

This is where choosing your captain well comes in handy. High professionalism and leadership helps here.

2 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Wow! You have to accept that. Are they in the Prem? 

Yeah.

I'll accept it. I paid £140k for him just under 18 months ago, so a near £22m profit is ridiculous.

22 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Totally agree... he asked for an 8.75 million release clause when negotiating a new contract so I just walked away from the table. Since then he's complained a couple of times but I've got other people to talk to him and keep in check. He's actually one of the few people still under 10k/ week in the squad.

Nyambe has a release clause of 18m so I should try to sign a new deal with him soon. With Rankin-Costello, managed to avoid a clause by offering him a slightly better deal.

Completely agree on Mulgrew and Smallwood! (whom I've just sold as he just wasn't good enuogh anymore). They've been able to settle literally all complaints in the squad. I sold Nyambe for €275k. So he must be performing better for you, than he did for me :D

21 minutes ago, Adzke said:

Completely agree on Mulgrew and Smallwood! (whom I've just sold as he just wasn't good enuogh anymore). They've been able to settle literally all complaints in the squad. I sold Nyambe for €275k. So he must be performing better for you, than he did for me :D

Yes he's been solid if unspectacular. I definitely plan on keeping all 3 (along with Lenihan, as a squad player) long term. 

Re Mulgrew, he's been amazing as DM with his passing range, set pieces and long shots. He's passed 10 goals in each of the last two seasons, and scored 2 in our first two Prem games as well. His physicals are slowly declining now and I don't know how we will replace him. Been trying to find a similar  player in terms of what his strengths are but literally it seems like none exist.

4 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Re Mulgrew, he's been amazing as DM with his passing range, set pieces and long shots. He's passed 10 goals in each of the last two seasons, and scored 2 in our first two Prem games as well. His physicals are slowly declining now and I don't know how we will replace him. Been trying to find a similar  player in terms of what his strengths are but literally it seems like none exist.

I've been doing that with some of my scouting results, and as such, I've managed to identify a few players who can step in if I need replacements. Of course, if you can't find exact replacements, drop the attributes a little bit, or go for a 6/7 attributes matched player.

11 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Yes he's been solid if unspectacular. I definitely plan on keeping all 3 (along with Lenihan, as a squad player) long term. 

I actually gave him quite a few games in the 20/21 season as he was a great stabiliser in defence. He has almost no pace, but he still gets the job done.

Ipswich Town 

Well here is my update guys. Starting with just a National A Licence and no playing experience as well as having transfers turned off, I knew this was going to be a difficult challenge. My aim was to blood in a few youngsters as they have a good set up and almost, in the nicest possible term, get this season out of the way so that I can properly implement my style from next season. I am looking to finish Mid-table with a hope for top half. As @warlockeluded to earlier, with injuries and your 5 loans used up, you're almost forced in to playing a 4-4-2. This goes against my nature as I usually like to take a more pragmatic approach with my tactics, so playing with 2 centre mids is making me cringe and it's showing in the results.

image.thumb.png.213db436f575cc025c245911e9386120.png

As you can see, apart from the Exeter game, I'm allergic to clean sheets at the moment. A completely mixed bag of results, with us coming from behind twice to beat Birmingham on the opening day, to then be 3-0 down at HT away at Barnsley the following week. We then followed that up with another comeback win away at The Den, but then blew a 2 goal lead at home to Brentford. A decent draw at home t high flying fulham sees us end August in Mid-table.

image.thumb.png.898946ab7cbf710d9bf7cb1cd1937c56.png

I mean at least we are scoring plenty of goals, the 3rd highest in the division. But then we have conceded the second highest. Do we address that or do we keep just entertaining and frustrating the fans with this maverick style of football?

As for the players, I recruited the experienced Taye Taiwo on a free, allowing me to release Callum Connolly back to Everton and free up a loan slot should I need it.

Both Garner and McGoldrick have bagged 4 goals each already, with youngsters Nydam, Kenlock and Bishop (not injured on my save, maybe due to early start date?) getting plenty of game time so far. 

It's an indifferent start with plenty to work on, but I need to find a balance in which I don't sacrifice my goal scoring exploits too much for improving the defence. 

Wish me luck!

31 minutes ago, robterrace said:

I've been doing that with some of my scouting results, and as such, I've managed to identify a few players who can step in if I need replacements. Of course, if you can't find exact replacements, drop the attributes a little bit, or go for a 6/7 attributes matched player.

Yup that's what I did, but trying to find a British DM who is excellent at set pieces, long shots & passing and who wants to join us seems difficult. Anyhow will check again at the end of the season.

25 minutes ago, Adzke said:

I actually gave him quite a few games in the 20/21 season as he was a great stabiliser in defence. He has almost no pace, but he still gets the job done.

Absolutely planning to keep him around, although as above I don't use him in defence anymore. Like to have pace at the back and in Tuanzebe, Webster and Nyambe we have 3 quick defenders which enables us to play a higher line.

48 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

I recruited the experienced Taye Taiwo on a free, allowing me to release Callum Connolly back to Everton

That's a good shout... since we cleared a couple of the early injuries, I've been rotating Iorfa and Spence at RB and Connolly isn't playing. He'll be sent back in January.

Always tough to play a system you don't really like, but I've done well with a 442 in different saves this year so I'm a bit more comfortable with it. What seems to be working for me is having both wide men attacking (W-A on the right, IW-A on the left), with FB-S behind them, and the two centre mids as a DLP-D and either a B2B or a BWM-S depending on who's playing. And, yes, we're a bit vulnerable to the comeback - away at struggling Sheffield United we racked up a 3-0 lead before the half, were 4-1 up at 60 minutes, and just managed to get off the pitch with a 4-3 victory.

And, of course I wish you good luck!

PS: You might want to look at the squad status of your strikers. In my save I have one key player and two first teamers and two of them have already kicked off about not getting enough games.

25 minutes ago, robterrace said:

At 18 years old, I may have to give this lad a couple of years to develop properly. :D;)

d6c018860ec693b0d7c7ab91f3077556.png

Although, this is the player that will be coming in to replace Pedro Marques at the end of the season.

46d4ac9c37677699241ef592d810e954.png

With the obligatory comparison...

a04135ea161957896e1e000ca6707aca.jpg

9 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

You're going to be rolling around in money! Is this all in the January transfer window? 

Got a bit going round, just trying to make sure its all going where I want it.

As for the scouting, I just send my scouts out looking for prospects, any that come above the scout recommendation number (I think its 70 at the moment), I look into further, and if the fee isn't massive, I make a move.

A lot of what I buy will never play for the club, but, if I can move them around and get fees for them based on loan performances and the like, then its good.

Great to see the activity in this thread, I have been reading keenly. I am thinking of starting a Queens Park Rangers save as they seem a while away from the Premier League after two short spells in the top flight. If I go ahead with it, I'll be sure to get a few posts up! 

The big problem you get, as a Championship club, when one of your players starts doing really well, is that you attract attention from above.

I was expecting bids to come in this month for at least one of my players, and, being honest, if I survived the month having only sold one of them, then, I would be happy.

Of course, the other thing that there was to do, was look at ways of strengthening our side, and moves were already being looked at and decided on.

The other thing that I can't avoid is if a member of the backroom staff wants to move on and manage elsewhere. I've had a couple leave so far, and, none of them have ripped up the trees, so to speak. So, at the start of the month, the news article popped up that Rovers legend, James Coppinger, had been offered the job of manager at League Two Rochdale. Having suffered a relegation last season, they found themselves mired in the midtable, and obviously wanted him to take charge of their attempts to get back to League One.

He accepted the job, and left to take up his role at Spotland.

1_coppsleaves-1024x138.png

After this, the first movement inwards of the Transfer window took place, with highly rated Chelsea youngster Dujon Sterling joining for a fee of £375k, he can play anywhere on the right side, and is very pacy. He had spent the last few seasons on loan at Derby, Norwich and Reading, so was more than experienced at this level.

2_stirlingsigns-1024x348.png

The next signing was one to beef up the centre of defence, and as always, came after some careful scouting and comparisons. Ibrahima Konate was a player who had joined RB Leipzig in 2017, after making his debut as a youngster at Sochaux. Having spent a bit of time out on loan at Kiel, and back in his home country at Angers, he had been placed on the transfer list. He hit two markers on the type of defender I wanted, this being pace and strength, and also being 6'4" had an advantage when it came to heading. At £1.4m, he was within the price range, and was more than willing to come to be a rotation option in the back 4. As such, he joined on a deal until 2026.

3_konatesigns-1024x352.png

Following a poor performance at Maidstone in the FA Cup, which saw an understrength side get taken to a replay, a bid of £8.75m came in from Sunderland for Pedro Marques. This was well under what I felt was an acceptable price for him, and sent a counter offer back, asking for the fee upfront, with £10m in instalments, along with the standard 20% of any future profit.

Sunderland came straight back, offered what I asked, topped up with £3.1m after 50 appearances, this was accepted, and the Portuguese striker was free to talk to them.

4_marquesbid-1024x676.png

A week went by, and, Pedro accepted the offer on the table from Sunderland, more than doubling his wages to move to the Stadium of Light, as such, he departed, for what would be a record fee received for us.

5_marquesdeparts-1024x303.png 6_recordsale.png

Unfortunately, the player I wanted to replace him, was already at the club, this being Rafael Leao, but, he had accepted an offer to move to Borussia Monchengladbach on a free transfer at the end of his contract. I couldn't really begrudge him that, as the way he had performed since moving to us on loan was more than likely to put him in the shop window.

Geubbels was the choice to immediately step into Marques place in the side, which, would give a bit of leeway to go searching for a player to come in and replace the Portuguese.

The player earmarked was a 19 year old striker playing in Serbia for OFK Backa Palanka of the Superliga. He had very similar attributes to Marques, but was a little bit lacking in his off the ball and bravery areas. He had picked up 33 goals in 64 appearances, and was out of contract in the summer. An enquiry about his availability said that Backa wanted £500k for him, so, I was more than willing to negotiate with him and his agent now, and let him join in the summer, as with Guebbels, Leao and Parigini in the side, I was more than happy to wait.

7_stojanovic-1024x582.jpg

There was a little bit of upset coming from the squad as a result of Marques leaving, but, following a team meeting, these concerns were dropped.

Another outgoing player came to light, with 18 year old Spanish striker, Ernesto, who has spent the last season and a half at Doncaster out on loan at Billericay in the Vanarama Leagues, scoring 19 goals in his 46 appearances, announcing that he was returning to Spain and heading for the Bernabéu and Real Madrid when his contract expired at the end of the season. He hadn't been willing to negotiate a deal to stay, and as such, this was for the best. I was annoyed to miss out on a fee for him, but, he obviously didn't have the ambition to try and force his way into the side here.

With the closing of the transfer window approaching, another striker to come in, for a fee of £400k, was 18 year old Portuguese U19, Kursat Vieira, who had been at Guimaraes in Liga NOS, but had spent the season at their B team in the 2nd tier. He wasn't ready to be a first choice striker, falling behind the likes of Palombi and Mujica in the pecking order, but, with some work, he will get game time towards the end of the season.

Unfortunately, for my hopes, another bid did come in, this time, one of £9.25m, for Duarte Valente, from Hertha Berlin of the Bundesliga.

They sit 10th in the division, and with Dominik Kohr and Ivan Mocinic in the holding roles for them, they obviously want a bit of young mobile talent to stir things up at the Olympiastadion.

Again, this bid came with another £2m in instalments added on, as well as another £140k per league game up to 10, and another £2.8m after 50 appearances, bringing it to over £15m. Unfortunately, due to the agreement with Estoril when he signed for us, we would have to pay them 30% of any profit on the deal, which, given we paid £400k for him, was going to be substantial.

With Harrison Reed in the squad, as well as Daniel Mota and Manuel Henriques on loan at Swindon and Millwall, this offer was accepted, and again, he was free to negotiate with the Germans.

8_duartebid-1024x345.png

Valente remained in the side as we went to Reading in the FA Cup, however, we finished that match with Geubbels out for 6 weeks with a knee injury, and Manu Hernando out for about the same time with a broken jaw.

The need for a striker had become somewhat more important, as, with Geubbels missing, it left us with Simone Palombi, and Rafa Mujica, who was struggling due a niggling hamstring injury, which had prevented him from taking part in a lot of games already this season.

I did have a little bit of money set aside for signings that I felt could make an impact immediately, so, the list was consulted to try and find a striker who could step in and keep the momentum going for us.

There was a youngster in Spain who I felt matched this, but, we would be going up against top flight clubs from all over Europe in our attempts to buy him, as well as paying a premium for him, given how highly thought of he was.

Deadline day came around, and, Duarte Valente accepted the offer from Hertha to move there. This meant that Harrison Reed could step into the side, and one of either Daniel Mota or Manuel Henriques would be recalled from their loan and return to the Keepmoat.

9_duartesold-1024x380.png

At the same time as our vice captain agreed to move to Berlin, the offer that was made for the Spanish youngster had been successful, and he moved to us for a fee of £5m (this was his release fee, and, unfortunately, Las Palmas wouldn't move from that, despite him being transfer listed).

Carlos Javier Ardiles had scored 28 goals in his 69 appearances for Las Palmas and Las Palmas B, and was beginning to get the attention of clubs from both mainland Spain, Italy, and England before we came in. At 18 years old, he was one for the future, but, given his near prolific nature in the team on Gran Canaria, he provided an insight into what he would offer in the coming seasons for us.

Quick, strong, and determined, he would suit the English game very well, and given his tender years, would only get better.

10_carlosardiles-1024x353.png

After the departure of Duarte, Tomás Azevedo and Manuel Henriques were recalled from their loans at Dundee and Millwall respectively. At 21, Azevedo is the older of the pair, but would be more likely to be the one on the bench, as Henriques had made 16 appearances in the Championship, for a side that was struggling in the bottom half of the table, and would be more likely to be up to the speed required.

More fringe players headed out on loan, as well as Kursat Vieira, who had been offered first team football at Dundee, and headed north of the border. Conor Egan was another one heading out, after his excellent spell at Sligo in Ireland, with Southend offering him the chance until the end of the season. Max Besuschkow was another player in demand, with the German, unable to dislodge Lewis Baker and, the now departed Valente from the side, departing on loan to QPR, and aiming to assist them for the rest of the season, as they tried to match our promotion bid.

Departing on a permanent deal, was Jordan Rossiter, the former Rangers midfielder, whose time with us had been blighted by injury, going up the road to Hull for a nominal fee, we had a sellon clause, so if he was successful at the KC Stadium, we would profit from it.

With that move, the transfer window closed, with Doncaster being responsible for 2 of the 3 big sales leaving the Championship, with the other, being Jordon Ibe leaving Cardiff for Southampton.  

For the first time since I'd been at Doncaster, we had made a profit in the transfer window, mainly due to the £30m raised by Marques and Valente leaving. Hopefully, we'd make further profits in the future.

13_transfersin.png

14_transfersout.png

In the league, we'd continued our decent form, and ended the month 3 points clear at the top.

11_januaryresults-1024x102.png

12_table-1024x324.png

9 minutes ago, warlock said:

I have no idea how you can keep track of all that stuff. Must be a full-time job! :lol:

Its a bit OCDish, but I have 3 sets of targets, those that are slightly better, those that are a lot better, then those that are 'dream' moves. 

At the moment, I'm on the middle set, with Ardiles coming off the last one.

Although, Guido has more on it - https://strikerless.com/2018/07/27/la-magica-the-monchi-files-06-shadow-lists/

44 minutes ago, warlock said:

Looks like you've cracked this game :applause:

And having managed two saves with Peterboro, I think Jack Marriott is one of my favourite players this year.

Just as you say that, we lost our next game at home to Watford 1-5 :seagull:

so afer 8 wins on the trot, and 6 in the league, it was an emphatic end to our run and sees us drop into 3rd place 

this Penaranda chap (never heard of him IRL) always gives me a hard time

hopefully we can bounce back from it 

1 minute ago, karanhsingh said:

Of course you can! And Watford, on their day, are one of those teams who can tear you apart. Can't remember how many points I've lost to them in Man Utd saves when we were otherwise looking unbeatable. 

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Just as you say that, we lost our next game at home to Watford 1-5 :seagull:

so afer 8 wins on the trot, and 6 in the league, it was an emphatic end to our run and sees us drop into 3rd place 

this Penaranda chap (never heard of him IRL) always gives me a hard time

Penaranda was a star for Venezuela in the U20 World Cup last year, and got his move to Watford off the back of it. Hes probably going to be their best player for the next decade.

Ipswich: Christmas in the Championship

So 'tis Christmas Eve and halfway through the first season, and life continues to be pretty good for Ipswich Town... somewhat to my surprise because I've been occasionally dischuffed with our performances. But the table - and the stats - don't lie and perhaps I'm being overly critical.

Cj0Xiteh.png?1

Since the last update we've had a lengthy spell unbeaten, and then another, with only an abysmal 4-2 defeat at home to Preston spoiling the record. Having said that, the draw against Burton was a disappointment since they'd been mired in the bottom three all season, and the home draw against Forest was perhaps worse as they'd underperformed more than Burton. But they turned up at Portman Road and parked several buses and we just couldn't break them down.

On the positive side, we performed well against promotion candidates Norwich and Cardiff. We've been trading first and second place in the division with Wolves throughout November and December, so a visit to Molyneux was always going to be difficult and I'd have sold my mother for a draw - but we emerged with a 2-0 win to cement our place at the top for the festive season. Happy Christmas to us! And here we are:

no7uqwOh.png?1

Joe Garner leads our goalscoring efforts, but you - like me - might think 12 goals after 23 games is good but not brilliant (but then I've just realised that he's only played about 14 of those!). But I'd have to concede that we're sharing goals between most of the front players - fellow strikers Waghorn and McGoldrick have 8 and 6, respectively, and wide attackers Carayol, Grant, Celina and Sears have another 17 between them and combined we have a league-leading 51 goals to this point. Grant and McGoldrick have been the creative force with 25 assists between them.

So I'm probably (!?) being too demanding - for a  team predicted to finish 17th we've overperformed by quite some distance. Equally, I know what this squad is capable of and they have - occasionally - disappointed. But if we can keep up this level of performance then automatic promotion is a realistic proposition. I doubt we'll do much in the January transfer window but I'll let you know - otherwise I'll be back for the final run-in!

Great updates everyone. Blackburn seem to be going well, the Tractor Boys are beginning their own private battle, a good new Posh save underway, and Donny Rovers going where they have never been before - amazing detail on that one! Even when I don't get time to play, it's always great to see so much interest in here - especially with the new EFL season underway now!

Just now, smplfc123 said:

@warlock it's only the end of September and the players have called a meeting as they feel I may have lost the dressing room....

This is going to be a long hard season playing a formation I don't like. If I make it to the end that is.

Oh man, really? It used to be such a nice club, they've obviously become big time Charlie's. Hope you see it out mate, quite a decent start I thought...

2 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

it's only the end of September and the players have called a meeting as they feel I may have lost the dressing room....

Sympathy - but that's the downside of playing at a lower level of coaching than expected. I know some FM'ers feel it's more realistic to play at their own level of experience - but my view is that it isn't. A club like Ipswich would expect a certain degree of experience and football knowledge, and if you don't have it then the players are always likely to kick off.

If you get booted on this save I really hope you'll come back and just accept the badges and football background a club like Ipswich would expect. That's much more realistic, in my view!

Cheers chaps! I've managed to grab 4 points from 2 games before the October international break, with a scrappy 1-0 home win against Sunderland followed up with a 0-0 draw against Bristol City. Hopefully that will give me something to build on.

I understand what you're saying @warlock but I just can't do it. If I do go, I'm definitely going to start another championship save though as I'm loving it!

1 minute ago, smplfc123 said:

but I just can't do it

Hey mate, maximum respect! But why not? If I take over Man Utd - and I have more than any other team in FM - I know there's a certain level of experience required. The idea that I - me, who's never done anything in football - should get that job is just ridiculous. Even within the role-playing scenario, you have to be realistic. Limited and badges and Sunday League experience works for non-league football, but otherwise it's a non-starter for me. But, hey, it's your game... go for it! 

Archived