[FM17]Basquet Case...

BoxToBox

3 hours ago, kidthekid said:

wow, never seen that scoreline before

It's Garrido that got me, 8 goals in a half, lunatic. In 14, I had a striker score 7 in a game once, and that was mad enough.

32 minutes ago, ifinnem said:

Great idea for a save and truly astounding progress!

You seem to have it nailed, can you explain how you go about unsettling and buying players in FM17. You mention using the "top target", getting players to butter him up etc

Can you outline the typically sequence of steps?

Cheers!

Unsettling isn't too complicated, first is to mark them as top target and tell the press you want to do the deal(either of the more positive responses). Then you can go into a players profile, and in interactions you'll have "promote club to top target in press", some players won't agree to do it though. Ideally you want to ask key players or high rep ones, so, if you were Man Utd, Pogba, Ibra, etc. You can only do this about once a month. Then I'll set a scout to watch them for the next few months, ideally the chief scout(or maybe dof?). The last thing to do is to show up at as many of their fixtures as you can, club and country. No need to sit around and watch these matches, just start the match and hit leave match and you'll get the news report that you were there chasing the bloke.

Eventually the player should develop an interest in joining you. Once they're very interested, if the club won't negotiate, you may just want to throw a reasonable bid at them that you know will be rejected, to maybe help the player throw a tantrum and request a transfer. You may still need for the asking price to drop though.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we've had a manic, manic summer, as everyone and their brother came at us, looking for a piece of our squad. Along with us trying to find some gems in the market ourselves, a summer long saga chasing Laporte, and filling out the youth team's CB ranks....
Laporte was failure, for now, as while we got him interested, he's 30, has a 2 year contract, and Athletic still want 86m, hopefully that'll be halved or less by January, if he remains unsettled.

d82d6ba2a9505c8878774714cba2a3f5.png

One massive deal to zone in on, with regards to outgoing transfers. Oyarzabel, one year after joining us for 37m, moves to Barcelona for 75m. A deal that couldn't be refused, as it makes the club now financially competitive keeping and buying players. It doesn't hurt the squad too much either, with Merino's January arrival, he can sit in midfield with Gonzalez, and Alvarez returns to the wing. That's a problem of it's own solved, Alvarez was too good to be a rotation option.

We bought a CB for 23m too, and sold one, for 23m plus a sale percentage. This is pretty much swapping a good option, for a currently lesser player with far more potential. Well hopefully, but I'm expecting good things as he was Athletic's hottest prospect.

958def64523bb8b732eac7274b82513c.png

Cheap potential, needs work, but I like what I see.

3823627140c46bbb930831feb2923d09.png

Lorono is going to be a monster, especially once he learns to play on the left wing.

ff0d6bbd9023bf2524059c9c9f738df2.png

Cheap punt. Might be handy.

76aa111634f23fe6152ddc09a04fce38.png

Wasn't happy with my youth depth at LB, think the lad will be quality, but not anytime soon.

d0edeed8326b5ba48c7c9d1a302378f3.png

I though this guy was younger when I made the deal, and had more potential, one of my desperate CB punts. Might be a judgement error....

43a7251d17e48a3dc35256c6c10d3edd.png

Needs a lot of work, but I believe he can be excellent, already has a lot of playmaking quality.

fe2b3436a3b68220514f5fd07c2479e1.png

Another desperate CB buy, but one I'm certainly more comfortable with.

d3258896c5e247d9d2cd12fb890b84c9.png

One of these CB's has to come good, right? Right.....!?!

6be203ca1bc8d600f2d1d939da278817.png

This is the one that we have high expectations for. Hopefully minutes on the pitch will build him up.

095d75c3e4b8dc37a66547d02165f9e7.png

Another cheap punt, DM depth.

We can check in on our two starlets too...

9f843b5b9a3858a4f4bde558b25a7f8e.png

Y2K's the starter now, on the way to being special.

d0dfd3a69a161901be50c3384e5d855d.png

David is special, and continually getting better. His only problem. Julen Garrido.

65fd647b08ff90df65cab94adcc7372c.png

In other news, we have a new assistant manager, Roy Keane. His combination of unrealistic standards, perfectionism and sheer rage matches up pretty well with my management philosophy.

France's manager got the sack for loosing to the Ukraine in the Euros semi-finals(they went on to win it), and offered Johnson the job, so, plenty of work ahead.

I'm in my 5th season in Ligue 1 in my Dunkerque save, and my transfer budget has never been more than €15M euros.  Which makes competing against PSG and Monaco that much harder.  Did you have to wait a bit before your teams economics were able to support larger transfer budgets?

Jellico73

20 minutes ago, Jellico73 said:

I'm in my 5th season in Ligue 1 in my Dunkerque save, and my transfer budget has never been more than €15M euros.  Which makes competing against PSG and Monaco that much harder.  Did you have to wait a bit before your teams economics were able to support larger transfer budgets?

Jellico73

Getting CL football early helped a great deal, other than that, it was combination of picking up whatever prospects I can for cheap and selling. Even then up until this summer, most deals had to be done by stretching finances with monthly instalment deals.

29 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

In other news, we have a new assistant manager, Roy Keane. His combination of unrealistic standards, perfectionism and sheer rage matches up pretty well with my management philosophy.

Best bit of the thread so far! :D (Could I see his stats?)

Good luck with France and my god, two monsterous strikers. Have you managed to get them both on the pitch at the same time?

5 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Best bit of the thread so far! :D (Could I see his stats?)

Of course!

ac6dfd03e017ba019dd1817789619284.png

5 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Good luck with France and my god, two monsterous strikers. Have you managed to get them both on the pitch at the same time?

Not often, but I've experimented with it a little when chasing games. Something I should work on more.

8 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Of course!

ac6dfd03e017ba019dd1817789619284.png

Not often, but I've experimented with it a little when chasing games. Something I should work on more.

Has he just been the Irish Assistant Manager all this time?

They could do a lot of damage together, but if what you're doing works and it does, I wouldn't have it as top priority. 

2 hours ago, Keano16 said:

Has he just been the Irish Assistant Manager all this time?

They could do a lot of damage together, but if what you're doing works and it does, I wouldn't have it as top priority. 

He's been Ireland's Assistant the whole time, but also a few months in 2017 was at Fulham, and from later in 2017 to 2022 at West Ham.

16 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Laporte was failure, for now, as while we got him interested, he's 30, has a 2 year contract, and Athletic still want 86m, hopefully that'll be halved or less by January, if he remains unsettled.

So, a good example of unsettling a player and hunting them down, Aymeric Laporte... I didn't think of it until now, but I should have tracked this in detail from the start.

So, end of last season is when I declared him as top target, set my chief scout to watch him for three months, set myself to attend every upcoming Athletic and France(until I became their manager) game. Then asked a star player to have a word with the press. At this point, he was "not interested in transfer", at an orange level on scout reports.

Half way through the window, by time I'd attended France's Euro campaign, had a second player have a word with the press, and put in a fairly meh bid, he had "some interest" but Athletic weren't budging on his 105m release.

By August, he was "desperate to join", transfer listed by request. At 99m. So we kept working, scouting, buttering, etc. By deadline day, it was 86m, still too much.

(As an aside, the more interested they get in joining, the lower their contract demands will be, at the start of this he was expecting 200-250k a week.)

Window's closed, and scouting duty was finished, so, I just set up to attend every available Athletic game until January, re-set the chief scout on him, and continued asking players to talk to the press.

The next real sign of progress was early October, as in January he'd have a 1.5 year contract left, continuing unhappiness, etc, his value was dropping, as was Athletic's resolve, and we saw a massive drop to 52m. Still too high, but much better.

Now, on really long projects like this, you're eventually going to have to hedge your bets, as eventually he'll regain happiness, be removed from the transfer list, and you'll have to start negotiating with the club again, or at worst, they'll end up on a new deal. In this case, I was quite lucky, as a combination of age and contact, saw Athletic's demands drop at an alarming(for their fans) rate as their negotiating position weakened.

By late November, it was time to strike, their asking price was matched with his value, well below what I was willing to pay, and I couldn't trust he'd stay unhappy much longer.

36281b6907e683c6f02119c991560018.pnga1068d54fa9a4c5f8fbd221e8581df5d.png

20 million, and 155kpw(30k less than his current Athletic contract!) is an absolute steal for him, considering how rich we are, and his quality. His age isn't a concern, as a CB can still be very effective when their pace goes, and in this case he's quick enough as it stands, combined with good Professionalism and decent Natural Fitness.

26632f94187bd66ea2c6b0588447ac1b.png

All this, is of course much easier and quicker for most players, but with Athletic for a world class irreplaceable player, it's a challenge. Also, there's a question of it being worth the effort, but for our own rules and situation, it more than certainly was.

Watching him 16 times...that's creepy territory, surprised he didn't file a restraining order.

Fake passports, stalking players, feeding youth PEDs. When the authorities get to you, it's trouble. They will make a riveting documentary about you in future

6 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Watching him 16 times...that's creepy territory, surprised he didn't file a restraining order.

Fake passports, stalking players, feeding youth PEDs. When the authorities get to you, it's trouble. They will make a riveting documentary about you in future

"Just keeping an eye on him for my next France squad, nothing wrong with that."

"What about the other 22 guys?"

"They're all ok, far as I know..."

4 minutes ago, Jellico73 said:

How do you know the authorities aren't there just to watch some beautiful football?

Using their stats to get to games since tickets are like gold dust, corruption everywhere!

10 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

that wage though.

Bit saucy, but we can afford it and don't have much else to spend on. It'll be nice to have a French legend at the club, and their all time leading goal scorer, even if he is in decline.

2 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

The second half of the season is going to be fun.

Absolutely! Juve in the CL too is on the books too.

Some serious stuff I missed out on!

Glad to catch up. Massive signings with two big time players. And does all the unsettling players work the same way in FM16? Never done much of that tbh. 

And from now on, whenever @Keano16 comments this thread, I imagine it is your ass. Manager commenting how things are going. 

2 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Some serious stuff I missed out on!

Glad to catch up. Massive signings with two big time players. And does all the unsettling players work the same way in FM16? Never done much of that tbh. 

And from now on, whenever @Keano16 comments this thread, I imagine it is your ass. Manager commenting how things are going. 

The top target stuff is new this year, I thing going to games and such can still help in 16 though!

3 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

The top target stuff is new this year, I thing going to games and such can still help in 16 though!

Hmm. I might test it out with Celta then. Having a restraint at 15M can sometimes ruin a good transfer if they demand like 16.5... :lol:

Also I feel like Alonso needs a cool name like Y2K. 

We're at the half, and things have been going swimmingly.

65932df152d8df6796291b3e2c67a95d.png1caefa075e91ba2ce42d0637a66f4c36.png

PSG and Monaco are giving us a proper run for our money, so a more interesting season so far. Quite a few of our key players are unsettled on the downside, Garrido, Sanz, Alvarez, Garcia, Alonso and Merino.

45752d805dac83c819fe61dacd287db8.png

France has been even more amazing!

That last game against the Ukraine was a bit crazy, a massive away fixture against reigning European Champions, they win and they level with up on points in the Nations League. They have a wicked, pacey striker and play a flat 4-5-1 launching direct balls to him. So I asked my DM to man mark him. Four minutes in the DM backs up to him and elbows him in the face! Straight red.

After all that's cleared up, we win the ball outside our own box, Pogba picks it up, launches a lung bursting run. 60 yards, plays a one-two with Martial, bursts through their back line and runs another 15-20 yards before slotting home. I'd gif it. but it's too long for Gyazo's free limit. They tried an attacking game after that, but we surprisingly easily handled them.

40 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Hmm. I might test it out with Celta then. Having a restraint at 15M can sometimes ruin a good transfer if they demand like 16.5... :lol:

Also I feel like Alonso needs a cool name like Y2K. 

Aye! Alsnso could do with one, hopefully something pops up.

One question about reputation. If you are 5 star club in a top league in the world, can your players still be unsettled?

I rarely coach in the big leagues, so I can understand that even if I win the UCL with FC Copenhagen, my players can be unsettled by Stoke or Las Palmas, but I was surprised to see players in your club unsettled. Is it a wage issue or is it that you are not a Spanish or English club?

54 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I'm not that daft!

Though it's surprisingly close.

Could have fooled me. :brock:

23 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

One question about reputation. If you are 5 star club in a top league in the world, can your players still be unsettled?

I rarely coach in the big leagues, so I can understand that even if I win the UCL with FC Copenhagen, my players can be unsettled by Stoke or Las Palmas, but I was surprised to see players in your club unsettled. Is it a wage issue or is it that you are not a Spanish or English club?

Could also be related to game-time or promises in general being broken I'd say. 

15 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Obviously, it is me. :rolleyes:

Smashing it with France!

Aye, sorry mate!

35 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Possible, but less likely. A smaller club is very much not going to unsettle Real Madrid's star player, but a rotation option on reasonable wages might be convinced to leave. Especially if they want to play more football or aren't considered all that important by their club.

In my case, some of them want more wages, but I'm not going to cave if they've recently signed a deal, which is the case with Garrido, 6 months on from signing a 5+2 year contract, and he wants his wages doubled or more. Also, we're doing well the last few seasons, but we're still not an elite club yet(3rd in France). Most of my players are being unsettled by Real Madrid, Chelsea, PSG and Man Utd, where as last season Leverkusen and Athletic were able to easily unsettle my players, and seasons before that the likes of Porto(who tried and failed this season). It's worth a shot more often than not unless the player is ridiculously above your level, but always have a backup plan if possible.

I had one fellow want to leave just because the interested club had a much better squad.

If it's a bigger league they may want to move too, an issue in France that begins off as the 5th rep league, PSG(1xCL, 1x Europa), Lyon(1xEuropa) and now our good results in Europe has elevated France to 3rd.

Only one more January move happened, another flier on a CB, as I was expecting to sell a rotation option.

8e00da3e49ac0fc13af22aae809c2581.png

73k, he's not great, but useful depth, hopefully he has a bit of growth in him and was underdeveloped by Sociedad.

Youth Intake Day!

Recently, the recruitment was upgraded to Extensive. This is the first Extensive intake, and it pays off.

Firstly, we receive this message!

81ec7e914e74a99f9e388bf8da3af66f.png

Our second generational talent!

2ce4c3114e6cd68b9744f458e5c755b6.png

Outside of Munoz and centre back Imaz who looks potentially tidy, it's a weak class. We're picking up two guys with good personalities on a flier, to keep professionalism high, and the keeper as our u-19's might have none next season.

cc5c861c3029876a4d38b95d566b7f13.png

This kid looks absolutely insane. Concentration and Balance are the only two issues I can find, and Balance can be worked on.

384b2fc4a7bc8d857843b30bcfe4d083.png

We'll need to get him to ditch that PPM, but he should at very least make a good rotation option.

Your striker production is insane with him an Alsnson. You should really have all 3 of Garrido, Alslnso and Iñaki on pitch at the same time. 

Also, I don't get why you dislike having your CB with 10 acceleration and 9 pace knock the ball past opponents when taking them on - I mean would you rather he used his 5 dribbling?! :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Your striker production is insane with him an Alsnson. You should really have all 3 of Garrido, Alslnso and Iñaki on pitch at the same time.

I could switch to a 3 striker system I used in my last save, once the new lad develops some, but we have quality wingers in the academy too.

13 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Also, I don't get why you dislike having your CB with 10 acceleration and 9 pace knock the ball past opponents when taking them on - I mean would you rather he used his 5 dribbling?! :lol: 

Roy suggests that he use his 11 heading to headbutt opponents, but I'm not sure it's an ideal tactic.

11 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I could switch to a 3 striker system I used in my last save, once the new lad develops some, but we have quality wingers in the academy too.

Roy suggests that he use his 11 heading to headbutt opponents, but I'm not sure it's an ideal tactic.

Screw the wingers! We want triple-attack!

He has 11 bravery and 13 decision and 12 positioning. Would expect him to deliver a good 'butt and he'd know when to do it, where to place it and would be brave enough. And with his 12 technique you can expect it to be done with style!

@Benjoe We took a quick crack at a triple attack, with the rotation & backups in a league game.

1205514e09803c6da4d11f4163f4acbd.png

That'll do alright! :D Won't switch to it full time, mind, at least not yet anyway, as we're short striker depth and Griezmann isn't eligible for the Champions League.

Chechu is actually one of the wing prospects, but he's comfortable as a striker and a good finisher(actually, probably best there...), star midfielder Julen Gonzalez can play there too.

At the very least, it's something to have in the back pocket, and a lot of fun when in full flow.

2 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

I vote for scrapping wingers and strikers altogether! Retrain them as liberos and inverted wingbacks! Bwahahahaha!

:hammer:

I've never had much luck getting Liberos as attacking as I'd like.

Just now, BoxToBox said:

I've never had much luck getting Liberos as attacking as I'd like.

I've had the same issue, and just look for midfielders/fullbacks who have the right attributes and retrain them. CBs are a possible source, but I find it harder to find the right mix of attributes. Midfielders are also a great source for those inverted wingbacks :D

2 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Doh...just realized you were likely talking about the tactical implementation, not players. You can ignore me now...

I may have unrealistic expectations of the Libero role. Or I may just not have built the rest of the team around it well enough.

That said, I did get it to work as a quite interesting variation of a BPD, reminding me of Michael Carrick when he was playing CB for Van Gaal, where he'd sit a few yards ahead of the other two and recycle the ball in possession.

35 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

I vote for scrapping wingers and strikers altogether! Retrain them as liberos and inverted wingbacks! Bwahahahaha!

:hammer:

I gave you rep. For that post to start, but then I realized you wanted the strikers gone to. Big nono. Look at the team I have for example in my thread. Have to be a trident attack!

33 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

@Benjoe We took a quick crack at a triple attack, with the rotation & backups in a league game.

1205514e09803c6da4d11f4163f4acbd.png

That'll do alright! :D Won't switch to it full time, mind, at least not yet anyway, as we're short striker depth and Griezmann isn't eligible for the Champions League.

Chechu is actually one of the wing prospects, but he's comfortable as a striker and a good finisher(actually, probably best there...), star midfielder Julen Gonzalez can play there too.

At the very least, it's something to have in the back pocket, and a lot of fun when in full flow.

This is sexy, man. Massive fan.

Make it permanent!!!

7 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

I gave you rep. For that post to start, but then I realized you wanted the strikers gone to. Big nono. Look at the team I have for example in my thread. Have to be a trident attack!

:lol:

If anything, I've found that havin strikerless with three narrow attackers in the AM strata can be an incredibly effective trident! Runs from deep (including from deeper CMs), defenses pulled out of position, lots of creativity...but, very solid defensively. That being said, my shadow strikers are usually retained wingers or strikers... 

16 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

If anything, I've found that havin strikerless with three narrow attackers in the AM strata can be an incredibly effective trident! Runs from deep (including from deeper CMs), defenses pulled out of position, lots of creativity...but, very solid defensively. That being said, my shadow strikers are usually retained wingers or strikers... 

....cuts to Soccer Saturday....

Merson: He's obviously a freaking striker, It doesn't matter if he starts a couple of yards deeper. Wayne Rooney done that back in the day....

Jeff: But Merse, Telleus has said he doesn't like striker systems, and sees him as a midfielder. It's innovative stuff!

Merson: I don't care what he says! Where's he from anyway, Denmark or sommit, what do they bloody know about football?!

Jeff: It's Sweden, act...

Merson(interrupts): Bloody Sweden! Only only good player they ever 'ad was a striker!

22 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

All I see is 'Yada Yada boring strikerless stuff, yada yada praising said strikerless stuff'. 

I am not buying into it man! 

The more strikers the better.

7 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

....cuts to Soccer Saturday....

Merson: He's obviously a freaking striker, It doesn't matter if he starts a couple of yards deeper. Wayne Rooney done that back in the day....

Jeff: But Merse, Telleus has said he doesn't like striker systems, and sees him as a midfielder. It's innovative stuff!

Merson: I don't care what he says! Where's he from anyway, Denmark or sommit, what do they bloody know about football?!

Jeff: It's Sweden, act...

Merson(interrupts): Bloody Sweden! Only only good player they ever 'ad was a striker!

Exepct for the controversial comment about Denmarks knowledge about football I am a fan of this post.

Archived