Franky's TOTAL DOMINATION Tactic for FM 17 (17.2)

If you play with Spurs it is not so important (except I dont know some cup games). I think you will destroy league without changing anything. Change only if with strong oponent you lead 0 1 or 1 0 last 15 or 20 min.

But and here comes the big one.

New update is here.

Who knows if tactic is even working. I will try it tomorrow. Really hope it does. Was for me the best this year.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played two matches and the dominating possession has changed, the two matches I played were against a much stronger Monaco side and lost 3-0 and played a team in the league and won 2-0 but possession for both matches were 50%.

Will keep an eye to see if anything else has changed.

hey man, i used your tactic in chinese first division with zhizeng or something like that :). was predicted around place 11. went place 4th without tactic being gelled or notorious signings. Next season i signed a young talented striker and a new midfielder, and with tactic being fully learned i steamed to the title. Very very good tactic, it made my team excell. Lots of goals, and few matches lost. 

btw i used the v1.1 version.

edit: i played last night before update of today!

37 minutes ago, Glassy said:

My results since the patch. It's had ZERO effect. Must admit when we lost to Leicester in the league cup after the patch I thought "Uh-oh" but since then it's been as strong as ever. 

eadd47aa9691c40a007a989205dd557b.png

Think I need to get better players :) Going to have be stricter and remove players that just arent up to task 

I haven't risked the updated tactics yet, sticking with the orginal on my Sunderland save, first season and first half of second season was a struggle, then switched to this tactic and went on a good run and clear of relegation and winning hte EFL Cup. Third season and ive just finished 2nd in the league and got knocked out the FA Cup and Europa in the semis, both times to  a last minute of extra time winner but pleased with my season. Ayew on the left and Memphis on the right doing the business for me.

1 hour ago, adam_thomas said:

I haven't risked the updated tactics yet, sticking with the orginal on my Sunderland save, first season and first half of second season was a struggle, then switched to this tactic and went on a good run and clear of relegation and winning hte EFL Cup. Third season and ive just finished 2nd in the league and got knocked out the FA Cup and Europa in the semis, both times to  a last minute of extra time winner but pleased with my season. Ayew on the left and Memphis on the right doing the business for me.

Are you just plugging and playing the tactic? Any tweeks? I'm using 1.1 with Villa and they're useless, same happened in my Leeds save. 

Help from anyone would be appreciated.

I´m using this tactic from first day of first season with Liverpool. In first season i won BPL by a landslide and then switched to update for the second season. In february of second season i´m currently sitting first in BPL (leading by 6 points), in finals of EFL Cup and still playing CL and FA Cup. I have lost only 3 times in all competitions this season ( against Stoke in Community shield on penalties and against Man City and Chelsea away 2:1 (which is understandable) :) ). I dominated every game and playing some nice football but main thing that brought me success is definitely defence. I have brought in only two players in two summer transfer deadlines ( Lb Jorge from Flamengo and Dm Ronaldo Vieira from Leeds). I sold James Milner and Lucas Leiva. My first 11 is: Karius, Clyne, Matip, Sakho, Jorge, Emre Can, Henderson, Grujic, Markovic, Coutinho and Origi. I´m just trying to say that this tactic works if you follow OP. I will post my OI and some other relevant screenshots when i come home from work. Thank you Franky and keep up the good work. :thup:

P.S. I also noticed that from new tactic update on long shot count dropped. There are approximately 50 - 60 % shots from outside of the box.

3 hours ago, sims3 said:

Are you just plugging and playing the tactic? Any tweeks? I'm using 1.1 with Villa and they're useless, same happened in my Leeds save. 

Help from anyone would be appreciated.

I'm using the guide of when to use Standard, Control, Counter (was mostly counter when I was near the bottom) and then train my players the PPM's recomended etc and only buy players that fit the tactics. Its not 1.1 im using, just 1

5 hours ago, Punt said:

I´m using this tactic from first day of first season with Liverpool. In first season i won BPL by a landslide and then switched to update for the second season. In february of second season i´m currently sitting first in BPL (leading by 6 points), in finals of EFL Cup and still playing CL and FA Cup. I have lost only 3 times in all competitions this season ( against Stoke in Community shield on penalties and against Man City and Chelsea away 2:1 (which is understandable) :) ). I dominated every game and playing some nice football but main thing that brought me success is definitely defence. I have brought in only two players in two summer transfer deadlines ( Lb Jorge from Flamengo and Dm Ronaldo Vieira from Leeds). I sold James Milner and Lucas Leiva. My first 11 is: Karius, Clyne, Matip, Sakho, Jorge, Emre Can, Henderson, Grujic, Markovic, Coutinho and Origi. I´m just trying to say that this tactic works if you follow OP. I will post my OI and some other relevant screenshots when i come home from work. Thank you Franky and keep up the good work. :thup:

P.S. I also noticed that from new tactic update on long shot count dropped. There are approximately 50 - 60 % shots from outside of the box.

Can't wait for your screenshots. I'm in the middle of the first season with Liverpool but tactic is hit and miss so far. I play without OI's for now but probably will use yours when you provide screenshots, your results are great.

6 minutes ago, Glassy said:

Gone to absolute poop after my unbeaten season it seems. I have a funny feeling I hadnt reloaded FM since the patch was installed. Lost 5 league games 16 games in. I'll keep at it, but it does seem the patch as nerfed it some how. 

Went through a period like that myself, keep with it is all I'll say.

I know it's a game mate but I was absolutely gutted. His bastard agent wouldnt sign a deal without a buy out clause in it so I thought to myself set it to something ridiculous like £100m, no way they'll pay that. In the middle of negotiations for a new contract BANG, he's gone. I was annoyed for a good few days because I can't sign anyone close to his standard on this save. 

Just to rub it in further he's smashing it for them now as well!

abf2ca83c973e7447a4f50366498aa90.png

Hi guys,

completely new on here...

Managing Manchester United and love this tactic.

Here are my results so far: https://gyazo.com/30b1f0223cd9f41a223ec5279d8f0723  not too bad!

Two questions:

1) has anyone figured out a way to stop the abundance of long shots 

2) ive got griezmann CF support but hes just not working at the minute hes not scoring or assisting. Any tips to get the best out of him?

Thanks in advance :)

Patch 17.2 has indeed made the tactic a little less effective so I've made a few alterations and things seem to be back to normal now :) The updated tactic is available from the original post and I've uploaded it in this post as well to save you hitting the back button, thus prolonging the life of your mouse (every little helps) :D

Aside from some minor changes, one of the major changes is that instead of 2 box to box midfielders, one is now an advanced playmaker who sits a little deeper than the BBM when in the final third. This alters the dynamics of how the tactic works quite a bit. The sole BBM is now a pseudo striker and the second main goalscorer in the team (after the striker) so MUST have decent finishing and composure as well as the PPM 'gets into opposition area'. The tactic's effectiveness depends quite heavily on this being the case. The reason for this is that whereas before the ball went forward a lot quicker, now the APM looks for the ball in a relatively deep position so the wide players, instead of playing it forward will often pull it back for him. Whilst this is happening, the BBM will drive into the box (if he has the relative PPM), thus find himself ahead of the play and regularly on the end of attacking plays when the ball gets worked in and around the penalty area. Also, the CF often drops deep to take a defender or two away, which can lead to a killer pass to the BBM who'll be unmarked with just the keeper to beat......... so he needs to be able to finish!!

The other big change to how the team plays is that the BBM and APM take less long shots. The APM because one of his PI's is to 'shoot less often' as his priority is to create rather than score. The BBM because he sees less of the ball and when he does, he's looking to lay it off to the APM and drive into the box rather than shoot long.

Please let us know how you get on with the new version. Feedback always helps in developing the tactic further (if need be).

Franky's TOTAL DOMINATION Tactic v1.2 for FM 17 (17.2)_212BBA44-5DDB-4967-8AD8-3C6D54DB4FBF.fmf

PS. I've deleted the first two incarnations of the tactic so they're no longer available. First one was for 17.1.1 and second one (version 1.1) was for patch 17.1.2

1 hour ago, Franky. said:

Patch 17.2 has indeed made the tactic a little less effective so I've made a few alterations and things seem to be back to normal now :) The updated tactic is available from the original post and I've uploaded it in this post as well to save you hitting the back button, thus prolonging the life of your mouse (every little helps) :D

Aside from some minor changes, one of the major changes is that instead of 2 box to box midfielders, one is now an advanced playmaker who sits a little deeper than the BBM when in the final third. This alters the dynamics of how the tactic works quite a bit. The sole BBM is now a pseudo striker and the second main goalscorer in the team (after the striker) so MUST have decent finishing and composure as well as the PPM 'gets into opposition area'. The tactic's effectiveness depends quite heavily on this being the case. The reason for this is that whereas before the ball went forward a lot quicker, now the APM looks for the ball in a relatively deep position so the wide players, instead of playing it forward will often pull it back for him. Whilst this is happening, the BBM will drive into the box (if he has the relative PPM), thus find himself ahead of the play and regularly on the end of attacking plays when the ball gets worked in and around the penalty area. Also, the CF often drops deep to take a defender or two away, which can lead to a killer pass to the BBM who'll be unmarked with just the keeper to beat......... so he needs to be able to finish!!

The other big change to how the team plays is that the BBM and APM take less long shots. The APM because one of his PI's is to 'shoot less often' as his priority is to create rather than score. The BBM because he sees less of the ball and when he does, he's looking to lay it off to the APM and drive into the box rather than shoot long.

Please let us know how you get on with the new version. Feedback always helps in developing the tactic further (if need be).

Franky's TOTAL DOMINATION Tactic v1.2 for FM 17 (17.2)_212BBA44-5DDB-4967-8AD8-3C6D54DB4FBF.fmf

Going to try this now mate! Was using v1.1 before and top of the league by 5, so hopefully this works too!

First two games: https://gyazo.com/2e74360c6d5659d25cb9398bf36c0596

My Team: https://gyazo.com/f8bae534f8d620cb36fd6a062b9bc46e

Zlatan has 18 goals this season and its not even December yet. Looking for his replacement is proving quite tough. Spurs want 200m for Kane!!

Griezmann didn't work as a cf, so i've moved him out left and retraining martial to a RW to take over from Mkhitaryan. Zlatan is currently tutoring Rashford but need a replacement for 3-4 season to allow Rashford to come of age, suggestions welcome!

TACTICAL UPDATE: There's second tactic usage option you could try, although I'm not sure if it's better than the original. Here it is anyway.............

Start each game with the following:

Favourite (home and away) - Control

Opponent is favourite (home and away) - Control + retain possession

As soon as you go behind, UNCHECK retain possession and leave it unchecked until you take the lead.

If you are ahead at half-time and anticipate a tough second half, enable 'retain possession'. This can be done at any time during the second half to see out a game. The more likely the opposition are to score, the sooner you should do this. It's preferable to do so immediately at half-time when playing a strong opponent. 

On 24/12/2016 at 15:29, Shanewilde95 said:

Going to try this now mate! Was using v1.1 before and top of the league by 5, so hopefully this works too!

First two games: https://gyazo.com/2e74360c6d5659d25cb9398bf36c0596

My Team: https://gyazo.com/f8bae534f8d620cb36fd6a062b9bc46e

Zlatan has 18 goals this season and its not even December yet. Looking for his replacement is proving quite tough. Spurs want 200m for Kane!!

Griezmann didn't work as a cf, so i've moved him out left and retraining martial to a RW to take over from Mkhitaryan. Zlatan is currently tutoring Rashford but need a replacement for 3-4 season to allow Rashford to come of age, suggestions welcome!

Griezmann didn't work as a striker in this tactic because he's the total opposite of what's needed..... a strong target man type. Strength is very important for the striker as he needs to hold the ball up to allow the runners to get forward. Keep us updated on how you get on and I've just changed the tactic usage formula so would suggest following the updated formula I've detailed above.

On 25/12/2016 at 10:06, Punt said:

Franky, who do you remove when you get a red card?

I'll get rid of the BBM, move the DM into the BBM's position and set him to CM defend or BWM defend, whichever role he's more suited to.

got little problem,

when use this tactic in premier league, its ok, but when in serie a , this tactic v1.2 seems terrible, u can scoring, but the opponent will scoring later after u scoring, and the process ai scoring is same, making possesion, passing to both flank, then cross or flank pass to middle then the player shoot or heading then goal, how can i reduce this in serie - a, i mean, i want to take away their possesion in front of our goals line, i mean, the player to take a risk get a ball from opponent without getting foul or card, thanks, sorry for my bad english, this tactic is good, but when play in serie - a with other team except juventus, because juventus got a complete squad, its sorrowful

1 hour ago, rizqikk said:

got little problem,

when use this tactic in premier league, its ok, but when in serie a , this tactic v1.2 seems terrible, u can scoring, but the opponent will scoring later after u scoring, and the process ai scoring is same, making possesion, passing to both flank, then cross or flank pass to middle then the player shoot or heading then goal, how can i reduce this in serie - a, i mean, i want to take away their possesion in front of our goals line, i mean, the player to take a risk get a ball from opponent without getting foul or card, thanks, sorry for my bad english, this tactic is good, but when play in serie - a with other team except juventus, because juventus got a complete squad, its sorrowful

I've just added the following info to the original post. It'll help you with the defensive problems you're having....................

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

In my experience with FM 17, I have found that using the assistant manager's opposition instructions and supplementing them with the following works best...........

All strikers........... closing down - always

All wide players (DR/DL, WBR/WBL, MR/ML, AMR/AML)............ show onto foot - weaker

Make sure to monitor the opponent's formation so if they change, you can maintain the above OIs.

thx dude, its work now in my ac milan save , it 1st season, after defeat 3 - 2 from juventus, away and got lead 0 - 2  until break, then after the break juventus play like crazy , and some of my important player have injured, after that my team seems back to track, with 5 - 6 clean sheet, as i follow your instruction to retain posesion when lead, and remove get stuck in , because in serie - a, u will proceed more card with get stuck in, like 5 - 6 player will having yellow card with get stuck in, thank you for tactic, but i think this tactic need tweak a bit, for provide more goal, my win now just like 2 - 0 , 3 - 0 , i used other tactic, they can scoring like 6 - 0 , 5 - 1, this tactic is great, but it will be even better if we can scoring more goal, by the way thanks for your oi advice

Will do Franky!

Ye I had griezmann before i found this tactic unfortunately, think Morata will fit the bill though!

At the risk of sounding stupid, I hate just copying a tactic without completely understanding it (hope that makes sense). The reason for this is that i like to know how the team plays and the intention so if its not going well i can alter it slightly game by game.. So say klopps is the gegenpress win the ball high and attack with a free romaning front 3. Guardiola the tica taka false 9 move forward as a unit defend as a unit. When you created this tactic what was the aim? (apart from winning games :D) I want to create my own tactic at some point and have always struggled.

Upon further testing, it appears the retain possession tip I provided a few posts up isn't very consistent so I've abandoned that and edited the original post accordingly. I'm currently trying the following tactic usage formula but it's still in early testing phase so would appreciate if others would try it as well and give some feedback on how it goes for them...... so the tactic usage formula that I'd like feedback on is as follows..............

Start each game with the following:

Favourite (home and away) - Control

Opponent is favourite (home) - Counter

Opponent is favourite (away) - Defensive

Opponent is odds on favourite (home and away) - Defensive

If you need to protect a lead and the priority is to avoid conceding, switch to 'defensive' but don't do this until half-time at the earliest. If you start on 'defensive' or 'counter', keep it there until half-time at the earliest unless you go 2 goals down, in which case switch to 'control' immediately. Whenever you switch from 'defensive' or 'counter' to 'control', only switch back to 'defensive' once a lead has been established and unlike option 1, the wing backs' stay on attack duty at all times.

7 hours ago, Shanewilde95 said:

Will do Franky!

Ye I had griezmann before i found this tactic unfortunately, think Morata will fit the bill though!

At the risk of sounding stupid, I hate just copying a tactic without completely understanding it (hope that makes sense). The reason for this is that i like to know how the team plays and the intention so if its not going well i can alter it slightly game by game.. So say klopps is the gegenpress win the ball high and attack with a free romaning front 3. Guardiola the tica taka false 9 move forward as a unit defend as a unit. When you created this tactic what was the aim? (apart from winning games :D) I want to create my own tactic at some point and have always struggled.

Griezmann has all the qualities for an excellent Inside Forward so I'd use him in that role.

As for what my aim is when developing a tactic, it's to play good passing football, try and dominate possession but with a purpose....... bit similar to what Mourinho likes to do. It's why I always set the tempo to 'lower', mentality to 'control' and set the team to 'play out of defence' as I find that gives a perfect balance between controlling a game and trying to win a game without having to resort to long ball tactics. Everything else depends on the match engine.

2 hours ago, Pogrebnik said:

what season training you use? 

can we still change IF(s) to wingers? 

corner takers? 

OI's with new tactic?

Have you got any new insights? 

I leave team training to the assistant manager but do all individual training myself.

IFs can be changed to wingers still.

Corner takers still preferably inswinging.

I just use the ass man's OIs without adding anything myself, although in the original post, there is a suggestion if you want to add some of your own to help defensively.

o that would be great. 

but I think you should try it away. 

most problems come in away games. I play with Ac Milan almost no buys. I am currently in top 3 changing places all the time. I can't get consistency I had before patch. It is still very good tactic but before patch it was the best. 

still I will continue with it. hope you will have something new for me to try tomorrow. I am done for today. 

Archived