England in Copa America???

I heard there's a lot of booming talent on Antarctica, might give them a go. Seriously, if you can play football on ice and snow, playing football on grass must be dead easy.

Joking aside, I don't think England would be very popular in South America. Might give Holland a go though. Before the Portuguese entered Brazil they owned the entire Brazilian coast. And half the Dutch squad comes from Suriname anyway.

Holland never dominated the entire Brazilian coast, they only dominated two pieces of it in different times (the Northeastern coast was dominated by them for a couple of decades, part of it in 1624-25 and another part from 1630 to 1654). And they dominated these places after Portugal had already started colonizing them. Brazilians and Portuguese eventually expelled the Dutch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazil

Actually, I'm pretty sure this happens in retail versions. You could be getting mixed up with the other international 'bug' that saw the bottom teams qualify instead of the top teams.

Both are bugs. Neither of them has anything to do with the games being pirated or not.

And also, Suriname may be on the South American continent, but it is culturally very much a West Indian nation and is a member of the North American association.

That's correct, it's not a Latin country and it has nothing to do with Portugal/Spain, unlike Brazil and the Hispanic countries who are offshoots of these countries (in the same way the USA is an offshoot of England).

Holland never dominated the entire Brazilian coast, they only dominated two pieces of it in different times (the Northeastern coast was dominated by them for a couple of decades, part of it in 1624-25 and another part from 1630 to 1654). And they dominated these places after Portugal had already started colonizing them. Brazilians and Portuguese eventually expelled the Dutch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazil

Uhmmm thanks for the info but my comment was more or less meant in a humorous way. I mean the entire Dutch history is one big laugh (and that's coming from a Dutchman). Who the hell trades Manhattan for Suriname??

Seriously though, 2 years ago some researchers in a Dutch history museum found a declaration of war from the Portuguese dated in 1650 against a Dutch province called Zeeland over parts of the Brazilian coast. Technically that war never ended until they actually found the document 2 years ago. Now I understand why matches between Holland and Portugal are always so incredibly hectic.

If anything Dutch history is great, how come such a small country manage to achieve so much?

Suriname was potentially more profitable than Manhattan, so it actually makes sense to trade them.

If anything Dutch history is great, how come such a small country manage to achieve so much?

Suriname was potentially more profitable than Manhattan, so it actually makes sense to trade them.

About both points: The answer to both is slave trade. Suriname was interesting to us, because it was a place where we could send our elite slaves. Whereas the "less" slaves were send to the Netherlands Antilles. I know this sounds a bit dodgy, but a lot of Dutch history books, or at least the ones I had at school, confirm this. It is mainly the slave trade that made Holland so rich and famous in the 17th century. Now of course we were also involved in trading many Asian spices, but in order to do so the VOC , apparently the first company with shares (that's called a limited company in English right?) in history, mass-murdered many Indonesian tribes.

Don't get me wrong, I find Dutch history very interesting, because this country has always been such a big melting pot for both artists and authors, since freedom of press and opinion exist here ever since the invention of printing. But I can say with honesty that a lot of Dutch historians aren't very proud of 90% of our history. In fact, I can tell from experience that not many Dutch people are proud of their country. Patriotism just isn't really our thing. You can tell by the people that visit games from Team Holland. We only sing when we're winning.

Anyway this is turning into a history-topic, which it shouldn't be.

Both are bugs. Neither of them has anything to do with the games being pirated or not.

The international bug where the bottom teams qualify instead of the top teams is to do with the game being pirated. It can happen if you continue from a demo game BUT it was primarily there to annoy pirates.

Well to be honest, our players are just as good as South Americans :rolleyes: and we do always have South American weather!

Don't talk stupid, what so England don't have quality players ?

Micah Richards (One for the future)

Steven Gerrard (One of the best midfielders in the world at the moment - FACT)

Wayne Rooney (One of the best strikers in the world)

Michael Owen (One of the best finishers in the world)

Frank Lampard (Awsome player for his club, mabye not as good for his country but...)

John Terry (Imo the BEST CB in the world)

Rio Firdinand (Again an awsome centre back)

Theo Walcott (One of the best up and coming players in the world)

But no england have no talent...

Don't talk stupid, what so England don't have quality players ?

Micah Richards (One for the future)

Steven Gerrard (One of the best midfielders in the world at the moment - FACT)

you're right he is, shame he doesn't really turn up for england that often the way he does for liverpool :p

• 7 months later...

Archived