[FM17] The Seagulls are trying to nick my chips again...

King Costly

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One Season Review 2020-21

League OneIf you had offered me 14th at the start of the season, I would have taken it. At times it looked like we might be dragged into a relegation battle but we found just enough form to be comfortable towards the end of the season. The big problem was goals against with us having the fourth worst defence in the entire league. However, despite having pretty average, injury-proned strikers, we ended up as the joint-second highest scorers. If we tighten things up we should be fine next season.

FA Cup, EFL Cup and EFL TrophyWe returned to Wembley after a good run in the EFL Trophy, beating a number of Premier League U23 teams to get there before bottling the final. Still, it gave us a decent amount of cash. We were knocked out in the first round of the EFL Cup again before our league rivals Coventry ended our brief FA Cup journey

Team AwardsIf Elliot Richards makes more than five appearances, he's guaranteed to get the fans' player of the year! He didn't miss a game all season through injury and I can't ever remember him picking up a knock in my time at the club (in before broken leg...). Jaiyesimi was really good for us on loan from Norwich and would have scored more if not for his injuries while Murphy was really good when he played. He just spent too much time on the treatment table. Centre-back Andy Arnold is starting to really improve and has attracted interest from higher divisions so that's something we'll have to keep an eye on.

Squad StatsLoanee Jaiyesimi ended with our highest average rating and it was nice to see six players end over 7.00, including a couple of youngsters in Grice and Arnold. Hopefully a few more players, including some of the other defensive guys, can reach that level next season.

FinancesNot great at all. With us playing most of the season at Bristol Rovers, our match day income was next to nothing and at one point in the season, our finances were listed as 'insecure'. The commercial side of the club still hasn't caught up with the on pitch progress so hopefully that will improve and soon. Thankfully the solidarity payment of £788k really dug us out of a hole although if decent offers for players come in during the summer, I may be forced to accept.

Club News: We've successfully increased our Youth Rating to Category Four so I can only hope we start getting some half decent youngsters coming through - we desperately need some! The running costs aren't ideal but we should be able to manage it.

There isn't much else on the horizon for the club with the tight financial constraints although we are now back playing at the Woodspring Stadium. With a massive capacity of 5,000 now, the world's our oyster!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One Season Preview 2021-22

BGKpqX6.jpg

As you can see, a lot of activity! We really needed to strengthen not only the team but the squad as a whole and I feel like we've done that. In terms of outgoings, we released a few, loaned out a few and got some good cash for a few average players. Barkworth really didn't perform when given chances last season so he went to Walsall for £120k while Wakefield, decent but nothing spectacular, went to the same club for £160k. Webb-Foster, awful last year and coming off a serious, long-term injury, went to Coventry for £130k. To get over £400k for those three players is nothing short of a minor miracle!

Key Signings

Matt Preston (DC) - Anton Rodgers (MC) - Derek Harper (LM)

I was in need of another top centre-back to play alongside young Andy Arnold, who is still wanted by a couple of Championship clubs. I think we've found his partner in Preston and he instantly takes the armband from Connor Essam, who he replaces in the team. Anton Rodgers will go straight into the middle of the pitch for us and has some very good mentals while we did very well to get Irish international Derek Harper on loan.

Other Signings

Joseph Lamptey (GK) - John Hall (DC) - Peter West (DR) - Archie Edwards (DL)

Jack Donnelly (MC)Mattias Käit (MC) - Diallang Jaiyesimi (MC) - Horace Forde (MC)

Bobby Chambers (MR) - Steve Laing (ML) - RJ Pingling (ST) - Ronan Hale (ST)

A lot of new additions! Lamptey, Hall and Forde are long-term projects but they already look decent at a young age. West joins on loan and will take over from Wakefield at right-back while Edwards was brought in on deadline day to give Jason Akiotu some good competition at left-back. Donnelly cost us £2k from Welsh club The New Saints and I'm hoping he'll return from his loan spell at Tranmere ready to go into the first team.

Käit and Jaiyesimi both return to the club on free transfers after their loan spells last season and they will add even more competition to central midfield. Loanee Chambers will most likely take over from Richards on the right-hand side of midfield and Laing, another loan addition, will back up Harper on the left. I missed out on five or six strikers to other clubs, one even opting to take lower wages at a National League club! The two we did bring in, Pingling and Hale, look decent but I would have liked a bit more quality up top. However, we can take heart from the fact we got Murphy scoring a lot last year and he's not much better stats wise than these two lads.

Expected Lineup

We conceded way too many last season so I've decided to slightly tweak the shape. I've dropped the AMC to MC, hoping that with another player defending deep we can stifle our opponents a bit more and stop them from trying to play through us. I've also changed the left winger to an attack duty as I feel Harper will be one of our better players so I want him involved as high up the pitch as possible without him neglecting his defensive duties. I've also changed the striker to a DLF to create a bit more movement in the final third and I'm hoping the attacking central midfielder will bomb on to give us more scoring options.

Season Aims

Our board expectations are 'fight bravely against relegation' once again and the media expects us to finish 21st. Last season was difficult at times but I'm hoping with the quality we've brought in, we can definitely finish higher. I'd love us to be in the play-off hunt towards the end of the season but that may be a bit over ambitious. We start the season with a difficult trip to Coventry City before travelling to Championship club Reading in the EFL Cup - another rubbish draw! In the EFL Trophy, we've been matched with Leicester U23s again, our league rivals Oxford and League Two side Eastleigh.

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One 2021-22 (August update)

vKaKnhm.jpg

YexspNe.jpg

A pretty pleasing start for us with only one defeat and that was a game we played quite well in, missing a penalty at 2-1 down that would have probably got us a point. The Crewe win was a bit lucky but since then, we've been really good. We really should have beaten Oldham but three clean sheets in a row is nothing to be sniffed at. It looks like the flat 4-5-1 is paying dividends so far, let's hope it continues!  We also broke our attendance record with the 4,960 crowd for the Oxford game.

We had a couple of bids come in on transfer deadline day but we stood firm. Savvas Mourgos was wanted by a few Greek clubs but I turned down the best offer which was nearing £500k. I think we can get more for him although his contract runs out at the end of the season and if he refuses to sign a new one, we may have to flog him in January. Centre-back Andy Arnold was also wanted but bids of £250k from Blackburn and QPR were not good enough.

EFL Cup/EFL Trophy

tOTvd0d.jpg

Despite being given a horrible draw in the EFL Cup, we managed to beat Championship club Reading quite convincingly before sneaking past Premier League side Burnley at home with two late goals. We've been given Norwich City, another Championship club, at home in round three. We also kicked off our EFL Trophy campaign with a comfortable victory over League Two outfit Eastleigh and a few fringe players got some much needed minutes.

6 minutes ago, Bitner said:

Well, seems like you're stuggling a bit since Brexit. And on that topic, how are the big clubs performing in Europe after that?

Cheers,
Bitner 

To be honest, I don't think it has really affected us too much as we weren't likely to bring in many foreign players anyway.

Manchester United have won the Champions League in the past two seasons so I don't think it's causing much trouble for the big boys! Most of the players the top clubs want to sign will already be full internationals anyway. 

It may start to cause problems in five to ten years as the option of signing foreign talent young, before they become stars, won't be there.

Just now, King Costly said:

To be honest, I don't think it has really affected us too much as we weren't likely to bring in many foreign players anyway.

Manchester United have won the Champions League in the past two seasons so I don't think it's causing much trouble for the big boys!

That's something i like to read. Well, before Brexit you could sneak one or two players from portugal, netherlands, poland and another countries who pay a lot less than England. But it's good to hear it didn't affect you THAT MUCH. :)

Cheers,
Bitner 

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One 2021-22 (August update)

vKaKnhm.jpg

YexspNe.jpg

A pretty pleasing start for us with only one defeat and that was a game we played quite well in, missing a penalty at 2-1 down that would have probably got us a point. The Crewe win was a bit lucky but since then, we've been really good. We really should have beaten Oldham but three clean sheets in a row is nothing to be sniffed at. It looks like the flat 4-5-1 is paying dividends so far, let's hope it continues!  We also broke our attendance record with the 4,960 crowd for the Oxford game.

We had a couple of bids come in on transfer deadline day but we stood firm. Savvas Mourgos was wanted by a few Greek clubs but I turned down the best offer which was nearing £500k. I think we can get more for him although his contract runs out at the end of the season and if he refuses to sign a new one, we may have to flog him in January. Centre-back Andy Arnold was also wanted but bids of £250k from Blackburn and QPR were not good enough.

EFL Cup/EFL Trophy

tOTvd0d.jpg

Despite being given a horrible draw in the EFL Cup, we managed to beat Championship club Reading quite convincingly before sneaking past Premier League side Burnley at home with two late goals. We've been given Norwich City, another Championship outfit, at home in round three. We also kicked off our EFL Trophy campaign with a comfortable victory over League Two team Eastleigh and a few fringe players got some much-needed minutes.

The Good

bchjjOL.jpg

Glad to see the new chairman likes my work. We've signed a two-year extension with a bit of a pay rise :brock:

The Bad

aaPohLw.jpg

A big shame because Rodgers had really done well in our central midfield trio. I can't say I've ever seen a blood clot on FM before so I'm unsure if he'll ever truly recover. It's a good job I didn't decide to cash in on Mourgos after all!

3 hours ago, Bitner said:

Wow, that's terrible. Never seen it aswell... :/

A Speedy recovery to him, and congratz on the new contract!

Cheers,
Bitner 

2 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Geez, a blood clot, never seen that happen!

Yup, certainly not an injury you hear about every day. I've only just realised his dad is managerial legend Brendan Rodgers. His son's definitely going to have to show great character to come back fighting fit!

11 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

A very good first season in League One.

I've never seen a blood clot in FM either.

Cheers Nobby, it looked touch and go at times but it was relatively comfortable in the end. Conceding so many goals wasn't much fun though...

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One 2021-22 (September update)

BNBoKQs.jpg

uDqKUCm.jpg

Look at all the green! The change to a 4-5-1 has really worked out well with the defence looking as mean as it did in our first two seasons in Non-League. Last season, taking a lead meant nothing as I knew we'd need to score another one or two to make sure of the win. The comfortable victory at Forest was particularly pleasing, as was the MK Dons result which saw us score two late goals to grab a point and keep our unbeaten run going.

The only downside has been the injuries. Obviously, Rodgers is out long-term and we've also had RJ Pingling go down for a month with a foot injury while left-back Jason Akiotu will also miss a few weeks with a hamstring issue. Fortunately, the squad is much deeper this year so we should be able to cope with those absences but I'd like a clean bill of health from now on!

EFL Cup

4CHFnBh.jpg

Wow, a third victory over a higher division side in the EFL Cup. This time Mauricio Pochettino's Norwich side, flying high in the Championship, came to town and a sell-out 5,000 crowd saw us nick the victory right at the end. We weathered the Norwich storm a little and they hit the post just before we got the winner but that's football. We've got Man City in the last 16 so my defenders and keeper should be pretty busy! Hopefully it'll be picked for live TV coverage and we can make some decent cash at least.

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Can we end the season now? You guys, Rotherham and Bradford to go up would be tidy.

You wouldn't hear me complaining! Some of the smaller sides have started the season really well. Clubs like Bolton, Forest and Coventry haven't really got going.

3 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Jaw. Dropped. 

3 hours ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Yet another cracker of a result, well done!!!

They played a few U23 regens but they still had some pretty damn good players in their starting line-up such as Victor Lindelof (DR) Eric Bailly (DC), Denis Zakaria (MC), Jorrit Hendrix (MC) and Olivier Ntcham (MC).

I had a look at the values of every player in the starting line-ups for both teams and what they're being paid, then added them up for both team's totals.

Weston-super-Mare: Total value: £4,030,000 ; Total weekly wages: £8,825

Manchester City: Total value: £158,921,000 ; Total weekly wages: £758,125

Not exactly a fair fight but we overcame it :D 

15 hours ago, King Costly said:

They played a few U23 regens but they still had some pretty damn good players in their starting line-up such as Victor Lindelof (DR) Eric Bailly (DC), Denis Zakaria (MC), Jorrit Hendrix (MC) and Olivier Ntcham (MC).

I had a look at the values of every player in the starting line-ups for both teams and what they're being paid, then added them up for both team's totals.

Weston-super-Mare: Total value: £4,030,000 ; Total weekly wages: £8,825

Manchester City: Total value: £158,921,000 ; Total weekly wages: £758,125

Not exactly a fair fight but we overcame it :D 

They got the money, you got the topic and the epicness :p

Cheers,
Bitner 

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One 2021-22 (October update)

mTgvTHp.jpg

g9feE9n.jpg

We've continued to put in some really good performances despite some tough games. To win away at Rotherham and Burton was very pleasing and we defended superbly in both of those matches. The only disappointment was the home defeat to Portsmouth but we completely dominated the game, hitting the woodwork three times before they scored two long-range efforts to steal the points. 

We're not scoring as many goals as I perhaps would like but we are certainly creating enough chances. As posted above, RJ Pingling is going to miss another chunk of games and while Hale has played well overall, his finishing at times hasn't been fantastic. Hopefully he can find his shooting boots and others around him can continue to chip in with a few to lighten to burden. 

EFL Cup/EFL Trophy

U43XWgh.jpg

Manchester City became our fourth higher division victims in the EFL Cup in front of a packed crowd at the Woodspring Stadium. We performed brilliantly, defending really well to limit them to a lot of long-range shots which was always going to be our plan. They finally broke us down, although it was a pretty lucky goal, and it looked to be the end for us. However, we managed to nick an equaliser before Laing's free-kick in extra time somehow won it for us. We take on another Premier League side, Everton, away from home in the quarters. We couldn't, could we?

We rotated the team quite a bit for the trip to Oxford in the EFL Trophy and Elliot Richards grabbed a goal to give us the win. With us and Leicester both on six points and the other two teams on zero, we are already through to the knockout stage so the third game against Leicester is a bit of a nothing match.

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One 2021-22 (November update)

vkOjeOU.jpg

U0p6UNz.jpg

We just keep rolling on, four games and four wins! As you can see, all four have been by one goal so it's not as if we're smashing teams but we're doing enough to get points and that's the main thing in my eyes. Chesterfield, despite being near the bottom, caused us problems but it was great to beat our bogey team again. The victory against Millwall was a big result considering we were 2-1 down with seven minutes to go. We fought back and late goals from Hale and Laing dug us out of a hole before we ended the month by beating second-placed Bradford with a Jaiyesimi screamer.

In other club news, I signed free agent striker Jermaine Hylton until the end of the season. Considering Pingling's injury problems, I needed another decent forward to back up Hale. Rhys Murphy has really regressed in the past few months so he will be leaving the club in January. We've also improved our junior coaching again.

FA Cup/EFL Trophy

cMvj473.jpg

National League club Wrexham made us work in the FA Cup and we were lucky to earn a replay before winning the second tie at home pretty comfortably. We face our League One rivals Rotherham in the second round. We hit the woodwork five times in the EFL Trophy against Leicester U23s but finally prevailed on penalties so we go through to take on West Brom's youngsters in the next round. We start December with the big EFL Cup game at Everton, which has been picked for live TV coverage.

Excellent start to the season -- hope the winter treats you well. The 13 point gap isn't insurmountable, but if Vegas took bets on FM I'd be feeling pretty confident in a promotion push. 

Always good to see City knocked down a peg or two, as well!

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Building up a nice lead on the league!  Hylton looks useful too.

It looks like most of the other teams near the top haven't been able to consistently pick up wins. The victory against Bradford, albeit a tad lucky, was huge for us. Hylton does look decent, he's very similar to Pingling and gives us a bit more pace compared to Hale.

2 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Excellent start to the season -- hope the winter treats you well. The 13 point gap isn't insurmountable, but if Vegas took bets on FM I'd be feeling pretty confident in a promotion push. 

Always good to see City knocked down a peg or two, as well!

Thanks for reading! The only slight worry is that we're still in all the cups so we'll start having league games postponed that we'll have to make up near the end of the season. If we can avoid injuries to key players hopefully we'll be able to manage.

15 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Going great guns.

3 hours ago, noikeee said:

Wtf is going on here? Top of League 1 and beating Man City? What? Weren't you just starting up in the Conference not long ago? Mental.

Cheers Nobby. Haha, we do seem to have progressed quite rapidly noikeee! The Cup run was just amazing really, I didn't expect it at all but we consistently matched higher level teams.

2 hours ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Ronan Hale bagging a few, BCFC academy knowledge ;)

True! I had tried to get him on loan a few times but he always rejected me. He was released at the end of last season though so was desperate :brock:

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One 2021-22 (December update)

1qSCIgg.jpg

3PXZ4kq.jpg

Only the four league games this month due to our Cup commitments and we remain unbeaten. Pingling scored on his return against Coventry before we picked up two draws at second-placed Crewe and then Bolton. We finished the calendar year with a very comfortable win at Wimbledon.

In other news, the board have agreed to improve the youth facilities again in order to move up to the next youth level. We've also, unfortunately, had to sell Savvas Mourgos as he was unwilling to sign a new contract and his current deal ran out at the end of the season. The most we could get was £200,000 up front from Greek club Atromitos and as you might be able to see from the screenshot, he twisted his ankle the day before the move. Karma :D 

FA Cup/EFL Cup/EFL Trophy

O9qwgIo.jpg

The amazing EFL Cup run unfortunately ended at the quarter-final stage although we somehow took the lead twice at Goodison Park! However, the forward partnership of Christian Benteke and Alexander Lacazette was a bit too strong for us. We still benefited massively from the game, picking up over £300,000 in gate receipts. We do remain in the FA Cup after beating Rotherham and we host League Two leaders Shrewsbury in the third round. We got past West Brom's youngsters in the EFL Cup and travel to Southampton U23s next.

20 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

Going very well

Have Wimbledon moved?  There's no way their current stadium holds that many

Cheers, looks as though the number of games is slightly catching up with us now though!

They're at 20,000 capacity Plough Lane which was built in 2018. They're moving there in real life I think although maybe they've expanded it slightly in the game.

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One 2021-22 (January update)

xK8hpZG.jpg

HOpD5mU.jpg

Not a fantastic month but our good first half of the season means we haven't really got to panic just yet - we've still got a 12 point lead over third place. We actually played pretty well in all of the games apart from the disaster at Oldham - just one of those matches where everything goes wrong. How we lost the home game to Swindon I'll never know. Well, I do know, we suddenly can't defend set pieces! 

We needed to win at Oxford and we just about got the three points against the league's bottom club but it was far from convincing. February could be a make or break month as we have most of the top teams in our schedule and the first game of the month sees us host Nottingham Forest. 

I didn't do any transfer business in January. The loan options weren't up to much and I don't particularly want to be spending money on players when we could be going up at the end of the season. I'm happy with the squad and we've avoided injuries recently (touch wood) so there was no need to bring in players for the sake of it.

FA Cup/EFL Trophy

k64d3dX.jpg

Possibly a blessing in disguise. I think our League form suffered because of the extra Cup games and now we can't use that as an excuse any more! The EFL Trophy game at Southampton U23s was a pretty poor contest and they went through on penalties after a 1-1 draw. We were then absolutely hammered by Wolves in the FA Cup - Divock Origi putting on a show and scoring all four. On the plus side, we brought in £85,000 in gate receipts, breaking our home record.

21 minutes ago, Bitner said:

Well, time to promotion, your calendar won't be rushed...

Cheers,
Bitner 

20 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

About the best time to be cloutered out of the cups, much more important business ahead.

I think you're both right. I don't particularly care for the EFL Trophy and we were never going to win the FA Cup so it was best that we went out as soon as possible.

1 minute ago, King Costly said:

I really hope February doesn't all go like this... 

"Keep it tight lads," he said. "I'd take a nil-nil at home to the team in second."

eJ550uO.jpg

Absolutely mental game! 

Thriller! Well, people like some excitement, don't they? haha

Cheers,
Bitner 

23 hours ago, Bitner said:

Thriller! Well, people like some excitement, don't they? haha

Cheers,
Bitner 

Give me a boring 0-0 any day of the week!

21 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

What a match!  

After the match, did you go full-Brendan Rodgers and praise the lads for their character?  You should never go full-Brendan.

Well, his son does play for us so the changing room definitely has tons of character and is full of beautiful human beings [/Brendan]

Weston-super-Mare AFC 

EJrVTwR.png

EFL League One 2021-22 (February update)

neSvmwY.jpg

VqPTVrq.jpg

Following that absolutely crazy game against Nottingham Forest, things calmed down a bit and we enjoyed another unbeaten month that kept us comfortably top of the table. Only a goalkeeping error stopped us from getting the win at Doncaster but it wasn't a massive issue as we then registered three victories on the bounce despite conceding an own goal in every game!

Our defending in general hasn't been as good in recent weeks but the attack have helped carry us a little, scoring quite a few goals. Jaiyesimi especially has done really well and has banged in a fair few screamers this season for us. Pingling also scores his fair share and left-winger Harper has improved a lot since the turn of the year. We finished the month with a 2-2 draw at Pompey although we dominated the game and perhaps should have won on the balance of chances. Still, we're in a pretty good position...

Archived