˝Feedback goes to his head˝-how to avoid?

In the analysis of Team Talk, this often pops up as reaction to full-time team talks I give, after a victory. Now, in FM 16, morale is very slippery- I want to avoid the team becoming too complacent and then lose, because it seems hard to pick up a team after a loss. So, how to approach a team talk at FT, where I've won narrowly (this is often the case)? Team personality is Determined.

Don't praise them is the answer.

Any sort of response along the lines of "make sure you don't get complacent" is what you are looking for.  I seem to remember there just being the odd one when it was appropriate but with my current team I seem to be getting 3/4 extra responses to choose from that I haven't seen before.

You need to consider if you were the favourites to win and by how much + did you actually play well despite winning.  Then err on the side of caution.

Sometimes you just have to say "Good wins boys" simply because there isn't another option and take it on the chin.

I often do not have access to ˝do not get complacent˝. I can tell them that they got away with playing poorly, but that might be harsh. Afterall, my biggest concern was the defense, and so far, I have not conceded much. Ratings are generally 7, with one or two standing out as 8-ish. I have so far used Calm manner to give them moderate praise.

2 hours ago, Pingdinho said:

I don't know if it is my imagination but I seem to get less feedback going to their heads if I praise with a cautious demeanour. Does anyone know if that's true?

Possibly, never felt comfortable with the demeanours tbh.

I can work with calm & aggressive but things like assertive don't seem to work in the manner I would expect.  Haven't really tried cautious much, maybe should give it a go.

2 hours ago, eple said:

Saying nothing at all when praise is expected works quite well too.

But then they can get confused and demotivated, stating they expected feedback on a good performance, or something along those lines.

3 minutes ago, eriktous said:

But then they can get confused and demotivated, stating they expected feedback on a good performance, or something along those lines.

It's also why you need to know your players.

3 hours ago, Pingdinho said:

I don't know if it is my imagination but I seem to get less feedback going to their heads if I praise with a cautious demeanour. Does anyone know if that's true?

Just imagine cautious praise compared to pretty much any other praise? They're getting praise, but without too much intensity, so there's a little ego feeding, but that much.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Just imagine cautious praise compared to pretty much any other praise? They're getting praise, but without too much intensity, so there's a little ego feeding, but that much.

So I guess cautious would be like "good win today, you played well" whereas, say, passionate would be "that was amazing, what a victory, you are all world-beaters!"

4 hours ago, eriktous said:

My impression is that when you are bordering on complacency a "bad" reaction is actually a good thing.

This thread inspired me to more or less stop praising my players and I have seen a noticeable improvement in performance so far.

I'm much more demanding now, without being unreasonable, and always telling them to not be complacent. I also have stopped praising player performance in individual chats.

Seems to work. My squad is very determined and pretty professional so that may have something to do with it.

On 12/09/2016 at 05:29, Pingdinho said:

This thread inspired me to more or less stop praising my players and I have seen a noticeable improvement in performance so far.

I'm much more demanding now, without being unreasonable, and always telling them to not be complacent. I also have stopped praising player performance in individual chats.

Seems to work. My squad is very determined and pretty professional so that may have something to do with it.

Yes, it really depends on the personality of the players. I have one who is super-professional and always reacts badly to praise. On the other hand most of the squad are my academy players who do need pats on the back even after heavy defeats.

3 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yes, it really depends on the personality of the players. I have one who is super-professional and always reacts badly to praise. On the other hand most of the squad are my academy players who do need pats on the back even after heavy defeats.

I had Michael Carrick on FM14 or FM15 for an experiment. I criticised a 3-0 lead at half time, he was "fired up". The game ended 4 - 0 and I criticised the team again. He "seemed motivated" and "appreciated the manager's critical feedback". So yeah, very much dependent on personalities too!

Archived