FM16 - From Rags to Riches......Hopefully!

lewis999

:eek: I'll say! He looks unbelievable for this level.

I had high hopes for him but he hasn't performed. A young striker has come in and repaid me by banging in the goals including a hat-trick in the last game.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February & March

24f81c61da2685636d390d13c4bc71cc.png

Nothing better than starting the season off with a piece of silverware. That's the 5th in my time here which is something to be proud of.

c1d5a12a4beb1932dad5f54afaa701d3.png

2 cup victories before the season started was welcome and it carried on into the season. Our goal hasn't been breached just yet and the clean sheets just seem to be racking up. Dundalk was an opportunity missed really as we were well on top until my central midfielder picked up two bookings inside 40 minutes. We held out and could have lost. He got a fine which he isn't too pleased about. The last game was the most impressive and young American Jim Campbell has made the strikers spot his own with some clinical finishing and sharp movement. Shamrock were top of the league and unbeaten until Jim came along.

63d74d62ebf686bcf7bda2bd274049f0.png

As always a hectic month in Ireland which sees us play a game every 3/4 days. Squad depth is going to be key.

Nice updates lewis, good to see a different team getting a bit of attention. I've used Boyle to good effect in the English leagues before so should be very good in the Irish league for you. Buckley also did well for me at Mansfield in League 2. Interesting to see you have signed Smith, who I am managing at AFC Wimbledon - he refuses to sign a new contract for me saying he wants a bigger club, so how you got him to Cork is quite a coup. Some nice signings though, good job.

Nice updates lewis, good to see a different team getting a bit of attention. I've used Boyle to good effect in the English leagues before so should be very good in the Irish league for you. Buckley also did well for me at Mansfield in League 2. Interesting to see you have signed Smith, who I am managing at AFC Wimbledon - he refuses to sign a new contract for me saying he wants a bigger club, so how you got him to Cork is quite a coup. Some nice signings though, good job.

Nice to see you in here Joga, thank you for the kind words. How is it going with AFC Wimbledon? I think the fact I won the league last season and am in the Champions League qualifiers is a big pull. Around half of my signings have mentioned the chance to play in it as the reason they signed which is realistic I suppose. How long is left on his contract?

April

e3112c579d6b753011ce0911ba17c0cc.png

What a month! Even if we were without our best player for half of it who scores all our goals. Last result spoilt it but I can't complain really. This is going to be my last season with Cork. One worrying thing though is a lot of my players in the last few matches are looking nervous or very nervous in the body language tab in game. It's something I need to address as we are creating a lot less chances because of it.

f14f70f8a7fa186fae3bf6be081f2394.png

So we have established quite a decent lead over Dundalk after 12 games which is brilliant. 2 goals conceded in 12 games is Diego Simeone-esque which i'm really pleased about. I've been trying to make our defence almost impenetrable and it's working.

1ad0c799a97235786f76dd4abf57d984.png

A quick look forward to May and we have 5 out of 6 games at home so hopefully we can extend our 9 point gap over the rest of the teams. Especially as we get our 18 year old American goal machine back.

Nice to see you in here Joga, thank you for the kind words. How is it going with AFC Wimbledon? I think the fact I won the league last season and am in the Champions League qualifiers is a big pull. Around half of my signings have mentioned the chance to play in it as the reason they signed which is realistic I suppose. How long is left on his contract?

Yeah, amazing what a pull just a couple of fixtures before exiting Europe can be ;)

Approaching the end of Season 1 with Wimbledon. Smith's contract expires at the end of the first season, so it's not looking good on that front unless we make the play-offs and scrape up a level.

Yeah, amazing what a pull just a couple of fixtures before exiting Europe can be ;)

Approaching the end of Season 1 with Wimbledon. Smith's contract expires at the end of the first season, so it's not looking good on that front unless we make the play-offs and scrape up a level.

Hahaha what do you mean i'm going to win it! :p No I know what you mean it must be so you can tell your kids and grandkids, "I've played in the Champions League". Well that's what I would do anyway.

Hopefully you make the play-offs then. Keep an eye on Dylan Burns in the Nottingham Forest youth team or reserve team. He's more than outplaying Smith at the moment and younger. I got him on a free too and he's a New Zealand international.

Fantastic form in the league so far, keep it up. :thup:

Thanks mate I think we will do. I'm just wanting to get to the Champions League to see what we can do and then I think my time at Cork has come to an end. I think i've come up with a new rule as well for my challenge which i'm not sure is feasible just yet but we'll see.

May|2017

4f0d123b1107bbe3549d7b7d35230e18.png

Not the best month but I suppose it could of been worse. The standout is the heavy defeat against our title rivals Dundalk. It doesn't tell the whole story as we did go 1-0 up. We did go 2-1 down and then we had a man sent off for two yellow cards and just capitulated. I just went for it in the hope it would go the other way and it didn't. We went into the quarter final after dusting ourselves down and dominated Shamrock and yet again our finishing let us down which is starting to annoy me. They even had 10 men and we conceded ANOTHER set piece which is another worry. I thought the wheels were about to fall off but we bounced back with two back to back wins which was slightly reassuring.

ae6f009025d1a5394e5088742e2cd64e.png

We conceded way too many goals for my liking this month. I think a lot of it is complacency so this month i'm going to be a lot more firm with the players and not dishing out praise every two seconds in the hope they realise they aren't world cup winners. We still have a healthy lead and are on for retaining our title.

707978ccb448045d7abe7b45f63af93a.png

The next game is another cup final. It isn't that impressive as it's a geographical thing so some of the premier league teams aren't in it as they have another cup.

In other news the board have tried to get me to renew my contract which I have turned down. I don't think I will be here next season as I look for another real CHALLENGE! I'm underlining that as I am going to really test myself I think. Not sure where yet though. If anyone has any ideas or where they would like to see someone manage get involved and let me know.

Just got an email through about my first Champions League opponents.

f3b585f2413ff8d52c1224d95d7ae4da.jpg

Most of their players are better than ours but they aren't as good as Maccabi Haifa and we did really well against them in the Europa League last season. I hope we at least get to the 3rd round for the cash.

What a signing! Can't believe he wanted to come on such low wages. Easily my best earner by about 600 quid. Hoping he can help me out in the Champions League with his creativity.

f7a3f61580b4213a4fb8335b363b5743.png

great story to read

Ireland backs to Ireland :cool:

Thank you for the comment my friend. Much appreciated. Glad you're enjoying it. He sure is although he's not doing as well as I would have liked unfortunately. :(

have u loaded Bosnia league?

seem there's lots of gems

and i wanna know what formation u are using

I haven't loaded the Bosnian leagues mate but you are right they have a lot of good regens too. 2 of their players are being chased by the best teams in the world.

I am using a 4-1-4-1.

60c3e42d19cb98f21feaf72f78e016b1.png

We just lacked a little bit of quality in the away leg. I know they are both good results but getting so close you can't help but wonder, what if? Ahh well, we gave it a good go.

So unlucky against Olympiakos. Ireland and Whelan... wow!

I know I had put pretty much all the older Irish players on my shortlist just in case and those two became available. I didn't even think either of them would be remotely interested but they were and for very low wages which is an added bonus.

So close to a big win over Olympiakos!

I know I couldn't believe it. They edged it on their turf like we did on ours but we couldn't nick it unfortunately. A playoff against Porto is the reward (although not sure I can call it that) for my defeat.

Some big names you've clawed back. Doing great domestically and so close to an upset in the CL. I feel your away goal pain :(

Some big names you've clawed back. Doing great domestically and so close to an upset in the CL. I feel your away goal pain :(

I know away goals are so cruel, unless of course I somehow manage to beat Porto on them. (Which will never happen).

Apologies for the lack of monthly updates as i've decided this is going to be my last season with Cork i'm just going to play until the end of the season and then do a bigger update.

Meanwhile.......

fa4416ee59ddf3435a32c073e6afc281.png

It's going to be one of them days :( we need to put our chances away!

We just didn't have enough quality over the two legs and two moments of absolute 20m+ genius won the tie for them. We can't compete with that unfortunately. At least we didn't disgrace ourselves.

62edeeaab46da5913867bd411564daeb.png

Shame you're going to be leaving Cork without making it to European Groups, you've done incredibly against Olympiakos and Porto :applause:

I know but I need to see the world and experience other leagues :D I don't know where i'm going next but i'm going to make sure it's a real challenge.

Chinese ninth division? :D

Hahaha I don't think they would have attributes at that level. My goalkeeper would have -3 for handling. I think you have taken on quite possibly the biggest challenge ever.

Done well against Porto

:applause:

What leagues have you loaded? :)

How about Scottish 6th division?

surely better handling than Chinese :lol:

Thanks. We were exceptional in the 1st leg, just couldn't match it in the 2nd.

31ac65e22ad1d9d1ef38f727a4486055.png

I haven't downloaded any other league packs so I just have the default ones.

Unlucky against Porto, good luck in your title challenge.

Thanks mate, I think we should win the title unless we have a massive collapse.

4f9b0132e534d33b6f7fd745ad340eef.png

Just had this message pop up like everyone else that plays FM so I clicked out of curiosity.

0d588e76156fe77503f9fc4ba6c271e7.png

I saw him and thought yeah he's good he has caps for the Greek U21's. I didn't even get a scout report but I noticed 11 clubs were after him.

These were the clubs.........

7578f586f006a902b4b6a58bdb7458e5.png

I think I may have stumbled across a wonderkid to add to the other one I think I have who is from Finland.

Just a quick update!

efcad3b3b426438e74e897a1218a11ba.png

We have secured our second consecutive title and we have had a great season. Top of the league all season.

1b1298e88a476bda8b69c2bafaa22dfa.png

They're happy obviously :lol:.

fecb38d942dccc38ce2283482c11a6fe.png

Quick look at the league table at the point of winning it. Shamrock got to the 3rd round of qualifying for the Europa League which is brilliant for Irish football that's why they have 3 games in hand. They have a very good chance of pushing into 2nd place and upsetting Dundalk who have just lost to Shamrock themselves and to bottom club Shelbourne, both matches ending 3-1.

Just wanted to show you my best player. He weren't when he first joined the club on a free transfer but he has progressed so much this season and has just got his first senior Finland cap. He won't sign a new contract which is understandable but i've subscribed to him so I can follow his career which will surely take him to a top team.

5d51da7aa3a8935f1187a1074309324d.png

2017| End of Season Awards |Cork City

Seen as though I haven't been doing my usual monthly updates for the past few days I thought I would catch up from where I last left it and show the results from that point.

15e3513a9b93563a30684ef434c80ea2.jpg

Had a few stupid losses against St. Pats and especially Shelbourne as I showed you further up the thread. It was fairly easy in the league and we were rearely troubled which means it is time to move on now.

Squad Stats

57662ecb219434bc94b9d19bf065e32e.jpg

Season Awards

42ca54a8401c8cdfd9ebde0def731d3c.png

Dylan was brilliant as my CM(A) in midfield. Provided so many assists and ran nearly every game on his own. Stephen Dooley was world class too, got 12 goals and 16 assists this season which was massively important. Came up with some very important goals.

149922e779b62c8552c5e35c5dfe5d43.png

My most important player without a doubt. He is quite injury prone and I gave him the strikers spot at the start of the season and never ever disappointed. If he hadn't of missed 10+ games he would of passed 30 i'm sure of it.

22e8d7d863b78b817a17631809764a5c.png

Marc was as important as anyone else this season and whilst we dominated most games possession and chance wise he made some crucial stops in almost every game to show he had top, top concentration and he never ever made a mistake all through the season. Saved a few penalties too, brilliant keeper.

417d45dba7aa3be9776c936b850e5e6c.png

I'm glad we dominated this but I thought we would of had 7-8 players to be honest. It's disappointing that with such a low amount of goals conceded we didn't have any CB's included.

05779af388cef9078d5fba93b294719e.png

The last award was one for me which is nice to receive, 2 years running and i'll miss this club, we've won a lot of trophies which wasn't expected and two titles to top it off.

To the future.....

a5e7086d75e25f9964ab760095892278.png

It's the end of my first managerial chapter and i've thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Republic of Ireland but it's time to move on and experience another footballing culture. I don't have any specific preference of where i'm thinking of going next. If anyone wants to get involved and offer any suggestions on where you think I should go or where you want me to go if you're finding my updates interesting. (doubt it but worth a try) :D then please do let me know. I may of made my decision before you ask though if it's not soon. So apologies in advance. I said I wanted a real challenge and I don't necessarily mean a 4th division club because stats on players are relevant to the league but I meant financially or in terms of a squad I inherit that is old and on high earners, just basically a re-building job on a club who hasn't won anything in ages.

u have a super computer :eek:

my computer would be damn slow if i load more than 6leagues lol

Perfect ending in Ireland :applause:

It should be able to, it did cost me a lot haha! Thanks mate. Glad you're taking the time to see the thread, I do appreciate it a lot.

Archived