[FM16: Interactive Experiment] - It's an International Game

Dave.

Thanks a lot!

Haha, well England have had that 500 point decrease in reputation...

Thanks very much :) Also, just a heads-up - you picked the exact same four sides as jtiessen, who got in there first. Would you like to change one/more than one?

Yep i'll change Ghana to Gabon. Thanks for letting me know.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Georgia is stronger than the Philippines or vice versa? By the way, in one time, there will be the rise of developing nations through the world of soccer very soon.:)

Definitely Georgia right now! They've got a reputation boost and an increase in their youth rating stats, as well as a couple of stars, and will only get stronger. The Philippines have yet to break through, but if you (and others) win challenges and keep boosting them they're bound to eventually!

Tunisia, Italy, USA, and Brazil

I also wondered if you'd be able to post an album of screenshots from the earlier rounds now and again. Even if it's just a couple of pictures.

I just think it's interesting to see how all the minnows get on!

I would love to see this, too!

I also wondered if you'd be able to post an album of screenshots from the earlier rounds now and again. Even if it's just a couple of pictures.

I just think it's interesting to see how all the minnows get on!

Tunisia, Italy, USA, and Brazil

I would love to see this, too!

I'll cover earlier rounds in a little more detail then occasionally if that's what people would like!

Hi Dave - good thread!

My guesses:

Cameroon

Croatia

El Salvador

Argentina

Amazing idea :) I'll go with Gabon, Germany, USA and Argentina :)
Top thread!

Cameroon, Germany, USA and Argentina

Cheers guys :)

Sorry about the delay in this update, had a busy couple of days - but Round 4 is processing right now!

2019 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Fourth Round

2019WKC4R.png

Not sure if any of these results will be recorded as shocks, although Isreal will be thrilled to have beaten Bulgaria to earn their first WKC ranking points. South Korea, South Africa and (surprisingly it's taken this long) Italy also guarantee themselves their first WKC ranking points.

In terms of the challenge - USA are the last North American side standing, by virtue of El Salvador losing more heavily. Due to other casualties, those still in with a shout of getting all four teams right are: jtiessen, Jakarooney, SuperDan!, offen94, levigu, schubat, SoSolidSnake and sherwinriga. Of course, those not listed can still win - but they have no chance of getting four out of four.

2019 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Fifth Round

2019WKC5R.png

Georgia were unable to match their stunning quarter final run from 2018, but will be pleased to have made it to this stage again, going out on penalties in the last 16 to Serbia. Switzerland got some revenge on England for the 2016 final, and South Africa earned a fabulous win over Chile - probably Bafana Bafana's proudest moment.

We only have two left in with a shout of winning the challenge outright: jtiessen and SuperDan!. Both are correct with USA and Argentina, and although England and Gabon are out, both Ghana and the Netherlands have a chance of being the last teams standing from their continent, leaving jtiessen and SuperDan with a potential three out of four. None of the others have, or can possibly achieve, more than two out of four correct - although there will be the mother of all playoffs (my brain!) if Ghana do not outlast South Africa or the Netherlands do not conquer the rest of the Europeans.

2019 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Quarter Final

2019WKCQF.png

Serbia scraped through in Accra, although needed an extra 30 minutes to do so. Portugal beat Argentina (Lionel Messi now fast running out of time for major international honours!) and the Netherlands beat Switzerland, requiring penalties to do so. South Africa pushed Belgium at Soccer City, but were defeated by a single goal, to end their wonderful journey.

Three out of four now for jtiessen in the challenge, with Ghana's defeat being slightly closer than South Africa's, leaving them the notional last African nation standing. SuperDan! can match that total if the Netherlands can be the pick of the European quartet left in the tournament by winning the whole thing. In that case, I'll come up with a playoff challenge (as it would be very unfair to pick a winner based on Gabon's slightly worse showing that England's in the Fifth Round!) It's very much a case of a two-horse race though now, as nobody else can win the challenge.

2019 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Semi Final

2019WKCSF.png

Some massive results! Serbia got the better of Belgium in Brussels, while Portugal beat the Netherlands on penalties. The two will now meet in the final in Belgrade, in Serbia's biggest ever match, and Portugal's biggest since the 2004 European Championships final defeat to Greece.

And those results mean that jtiessen has won the challenge. You (should) know the drill - please give me a nation, position and starting club for a brand new superstar 15-year-old.

2019 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Final

2019WKCFinal.png

A thrilling game! An early lead for Serbia was overturned before half-time, but a late equaliser and extra-time winner from Liverpool man Lazar Markovic (after Matic had missed a penalty) saw the game turn again, and victory for Serbia! They now join England, France and Brazil as WKC winners - a might achievement.

I really chose the wrong teams it seems... and I spent so long choosing between Serbia(because they become good on this game+they're my neighbouring country so that's a bonus) and England(well, World Cup) :(

But with my luck, England would've won if I chose Serbia.

I can't believe I almost get the complete flush! I wish the Philippines will win some of the friendlies before the 2022 qualifiers to the FIFA World Cup? Nice win by the Serbs!:) I appreciate my loss.

If only you'd gone Argentina instead of Brazil...

I really chose the wrong teams it seems... and I spent so long choosing between Serbia(because they become good on this game+they're my neighbouring country so that's a bonus) and England(well, World Cup) :(

But with my luck, England would've won if I chose Serbia.

Unlucky, maybe next time go with the second choice! ;)

2019 ASIAN NATIONS CUP

2019AsiaGroupsABC.png

2019AsiaGroupsDEF.png

2019AsiaKnockout.png

The group stages were not packed with shocks - although North Korea's pointless finish in a Group D they'd have given themselves a chance in is a talking point. The real surprise came in Group F though - where Asian minnows Myanmar (who'd been in the wilderness since their golden years ended in the late 60s) not only surprised the continent with qualification to the finals - but qualified from their group when there! A stunning win over Syria was backed up with an even more incredible point against the Saudis - and it was only a single goal that saw them lose to Australia.

In the knockout stages, Myanmar's challenge ended against Qatar. China had a great run, reaching the semi-finals, just missing out on a spot in the final on penalties to Iraq - Asia's current highest ranked team in the all-time points rankings - who had been on a great run themselves. In the final, Australia couldn't match the Iraqis, who won their second title after their 2005 triumph.

2019 AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS

2019AfricaGroupsAB.png

2019AfricaGroupsCD.png

2019AfricaKnockout.png

Fresh from their failure to qualify for the 2017 edition, Ghana and Ivory Coast met in this year's final, and it was Ghana who took home the spoils. Hosts Cameroon could only reach the last eight where they were beaten by a spirited Zambia side. Nigeria again failed to make it out of the group stages, along with Gabon, who have been achieving plenty recently on the intercontinental stage.

ADDITIONAL INTERNATIONAL ROUND-UP

As well as the three major intercontinental tournaments and each continent's major finals, which we cover in detail, there are a number of other continental tournaments as well as the Olympics to consider. Here, we'll quickly run through the winners and runners-up (as well as a little more detail in Europe's Nations League) of each of those tournaments. No ranking points are awarded for these tournaments - so they are just a matter of pride.

Africa

African Championship of Nations (Domestic players only)

2018 - Egypt 2-1 DR Congo

2016 - Ghana e1-0 Ivory Coast

Asia

East Asian Cup

2019 - South Korea (Japan finish second)

2017 - Japan (China finish second)

WAFF Championship (West Asia)

2018 - Kuwait e3-2 Saudi Arabia

2016 - Iraq 3-0 Qatar

AFF Championship (Southeast Asia)

2018 - Thailand 3-0 Philippines (agg)

2016 - Thailand 5-1 Vietnam (agg)

Europe

European Nations League

2018-19 - Germany 3-2 England

North America

Caribbean Championship

2018 - Jamaica 1-0 Trinidad & Tobago

2016 - Trinidad & Tobago p2-2 Jamaica

Central American Nations Cup

2018 - Guatemala 3-2 Honduras

2016 - Honduras p1-1 Panama

Oceania

Pacific Games

2019 - Papua New Guinea 2-1 Solomon Islands

Olympic Games

2016 - Argentina 1-0 Germany

2018/19 EUROPEAN NATIONS CUP

Final

Germany 3-2 England

Semi Final

Germany 2-0 Portugal

England e3-2 Ukraine

Division A

Relegated: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium

Division B

Promoted: Greece, Croatia, Czech Republic, Austria

Relegated: Hungary, Norway, Ireland, Montenegro

Division C

Promoted: Serbia, Armenia, Iceland, Wales

Relegated: Scotland, Slovakia, Israel, Albania

Division D

Promoted: Belarus, Cyprus, Lithuania, Georgia

How good is this! Just discovered it now, great read with a cup of coffee :)

Is it too late to join in on the discussion now?

Of course not, welcome to the fun! :)

It's the sort of thing that'll carry on until people start to get bored - hopefully not until we've seen a decent shift in some of the nations winning things.

Croatia seem to be really dropping off the map and need a hand up. Lets give them a superstar STriker who is currently playing for Dinamo Zagreb.

Very generous of you - here's Ivan Plantak, complete with dodgy haircut:

2019Plantak.png

2019 NORTH AMERICAN GOLD CUP

2019GoldGroups.png

2019GoldKnockout.png

Not quite the same line-up as last time, as El Salvador replace Nicaragua. Not sure there'll ever be too much variation in the sides on show here, as three spots are reserved for USA, Mexico and Canada, four for Central America (which constitutes 7 teams), 4 from the Caribbean - which has over 30 teams but usually represented by the same subjects - and a 12th spot for the winner of a playoff between the 5th best sides of the Central American and Caribbean Nations Cups.

Anyway, to the tournament. No shocks in the group stages, although Honduras will be disappointed to go out whilst finishing third, albeit in a tough group. Costa Rica stunned the USA, and Panama took advantage of being in an easier half to reach the final where they played, and lost to, a dominant Mexico side.

2019 COPA AMERICA

2019CopaGroups.png

2019CopaKnockout.png

Canada and Mexico were the invitees this year, and sent their B sides - as their main teams were of course involved in their own continental tournament. The likes of Venezuela, Paraguay and Ecuador took advantage of cushy group draws to qualify, while in Group C - one of the most horrible looking groups of any international tournament I can remember - saw Uruguay miss out (somebody had to!).

Ecuador and Venezuela pulled off further shocks in the semi finals, but neither could progress to the showpiece, where AGAIN Argentina found themselves second best - it's been 26 years now since their last major international honours. Chile were the winners this time, regaining the title from Colombia.

Great idea this! Very entertaining read. Great work:thup:

Thank you! :)

Right - as I update the opening couple of posts, a challenge. This is a quiz question with two (very similar) parts, plus a bonus and there's a reward for each. Part one - should be easy. Part two - not so much. Part three - well, it's all guesswork!

First - who holds the record for England caps without scoring for an outfield player? He's got over 100 caps, and isn't very good at making friends.

Second - the highest in-game goalless outfield caps holder is approaching his ton. He's only ever played for Paris Saint-Germain and Ajax. Who is he?

Third - how many caps (at this point in time) does this mystery player hold?

Gutted!!! Just read this on the way home from work. Wanted to start making Oceania a footballing hotbed.

Ah well,

First one is Ashley Cole

Second is Gregory van der Wiel who has 45 caps for the Netherlands irl. I presume he'd be reaching 100 by now in the game right? In game I'm guessing 94

Is the first one Ashley Cole?

edit: and being the only Dutch player playing for PSG as far as I can see on FM16, is the second Van Der Wiel? (I hope that's not cheating)

And at a guess for the 3rd I'll say 87.

May have made the second part a little easier than intended with that clue.. But yes you're correct on both counts - although not the caps part.

Your edit time is before anyone else who answered, so I think it's fair that you earn rewards one and two.

One: A 750 point reputation trade. Pick one country to lose out, and another to gain.

Two: Any country in the world, pick it and there'll be a boost in CA of their current squad by 10 (or to its maximum).

I'll go with John Terry for first, Van der Wiel for second, and 91 for third.

Beaten to it unfortunately on the first two counts - and wrong (just!) on the third. Good effort though.

Gutted!!! Just read this on the way home from work. Wanted to start making Oceania a footballing hotbed.

Ah well,

First one is Ashley Cole

Second is Gregory van der Wiel who has 45 caps for the Netherlands irl. I presume he'd be reaching 100 by now in the game right? In game I'm guessing 94

Unfortunately, no prizes for answers 1+2 as they've been claimed. But you've got the third one dead on! (Nicely done).

The reward for that is: an increase (+25) in youth rating of any country in the world. Maybe this is where the Oceanic revolution begins?

Croatia seem to be really dropping off the map and need a hand up. Lets give them a superstar STriker who is currently playing for Dinamo Zagreb.

Thanks, much appreciated :D He looks like an usual Zagreb native with that face and haircut!

(BTW, unrelated to Croatia, didn't even notice I missed out on 3 questions that would give me a chance to boost something... damn quickfiring opposition, you took them all in an hour :/)

Unfortunately, no prizes for answers 1+2 as they've been claimed. But you've got the third one dead on! (Nicely done).

The reward for that is: an increase (+25) in youth rating of any country in the world. Maybe this is where the Oceanic revolution begins?

I'll take that! An increase on Solomon Islands please.

May have made the second part a little easier than intended with that clue.. But yes you're correct on both counts - although not the caps part.

Your edit time is before anyone else who answered, so I think it's fair that you earn rewards one and two.

Brilliant!

One: A 750 point reputation trade. Pick one country to lose out, and another to gain.

Okay, I'd like to decrease Germany's rep after that European Nations win, and increase Hungary's to get them back into Division B.

Two: Any country in the world, pick it and there'll be a boost in CA of their current squad by 10 (or to its maximum).

Is there a way for you to see who has the youngest average age in their National Squad? If there is, then I pick them, if there's not then San Marino please.

I'll take that! An increase on Solomon Islands please.
Brilliant!

Okay, I'd like to decrease Germany's rep after that European Nations win, and increase Hungary's to get them back into Division B.

Is there a way for you to see who has the youngest average age in their National Squad? If there is, then I pick them, if there's not then San Marino please.

All done! Sadly there's not a way (that I know of) of doing that, short of manually going through every national team.... San Marino it is! ;)

It's almost time for another edition of the 2020 Knockout Cup and of course, the important UEFA Euro 2020. I will cheer for the developed nations (i.e. Armenia, Montenegro, Georgia, Slovakia, Iceland and Latvia). Plus one more thing, will the Philippines will be saved to the second round or third round?:D

It's almost time for another edition of the 2020 Knockout Cup and of course, the important UEFA Euro 2020. I will cheer for the developed nations (i.e. Armenia, Montenegro, Georgia, Slovakia, Iceland and Latvia). Plus one more thing, will the Philippines will be saved to the second round or third round?:D

Should all be very interesting, I hope! Tough 1st Round draw for the Philippines, home to Morocco...

PLAYERS - END OF 2019

2019Caps.png

Retirements for Petr Cech and Nashat Akram, but not before they earned a few more caps each. Messi surges onto the list, joined by Michael Bradley and Andrés Guardado, who probably each have a couple of years in them yet.

2019Goals.png

Messi, Suarez, Aguero and Hernandez all had brilliant years, and charge up the list. Edin Dzeko joins in on the fun too, as Brazilian legend Pele sees himself fall out of the top 10 international scorers of all time.

2019Stars.png

It's happened - Cristiano Ronaldo is gone. Down at a CA of 178 now, which is not quite enough to stay on the list, and Barca stopper ter Stegen takes his spot.

2019Youth_1.png

The emergence of Gabriel Martinez completes Spain's stellar back four of the future. A couple of French stars at Lyon make this list too, which otherwise stays the same.

2019CSEYouth.png

Kvarthskhava's move to Lokomotiv Moscow is complete, as he improves a little more. Lexton Olivar has found a new club, in Saudi Arabia, as there are improvements, but no major career landmarks, for the other players on the list.

2019StarsOther.png

A new feature where we take a look at the list of the ten best players in the world not at a major nation (the 14 nations being: Germany, England, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay and Mexico). Half of these players are based in Germany, including the top of the list, Poland's Lewandowski. Martin Odegaard has incredibly reached 60 caps whilst still only 21!

2019YouthOther.png

The best young players from outside the biggest 14 nations here - and the likes of Bolivia and Greece will be licking their lips at the future prospects of their sides. USA international midfielder Neil Carr is the runaway star here - but every player has a PA good enough to one day be better than Robert Lewandowski.

2020 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - First Round

211th v 216th

Brunei 3-0 Micronesia

Have a Go!

Wales - 22 shots on target (7-0 v Northern Mariana Islands)

Afro-Caribbean Shock

Cameroon 1-2 Barbados

(If you want to hear how any individual nations are doing, whatever their size and status in the game - just ask!)

2020 WORLD KNOCKOUT CUP - Second Round

Record Attendance

Mexico 3-0 Poland (105,064)

Youngest Player

Andrea Niccolai - 16 years, 48 days (San Marino 0-2 Finland)

Tournament Top Scorer

Sam Vokes - 6 (Wales)

Archived