The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

An American Werewolf in Football!

http://AmericanWerewolfFootball.wordpress.com

Stevenage F.C. - 2020-21

StevenageFC_zpsyvtw9dbh.png

All Competitions | Manager Profile

Welcome back, Boro fans! While it is yet another year without silverware that qualifies for the Ultimate Manager Challenge, I can’t help but be proud of our club’s accomplishments this season, and as a whole. We continue to make credible progress towards being a big and great club, and all of our hard work feels as if it will start paying off in silverware very soon!

The media personalities and pundits felt we would solidify and consolidate in the Premier League, staying up for sure, but coming in at a disappointing 14th. At the beginning of the campaign, the board would have been more than happy with a mid-table finish and making sure we continued to be financially prudent.

Instead, the lads challenged for a Champions League spot all campaign long, probably partially due to the fact that our cup performances were absolutely atrocious this season, as we crashed out of both the Capital One Cup and the FA Cup at the first time of asking. We qualified for a Europa League berth fairly early, but it went down to the final day of the season, with Tottenham handling their business and forcing us to the Third Qualifying Round. This was still an obvious success for us, as a Top-7 finish in our first year of Premier League play has to be viewed as a decent job. Doing it on the lowest wage budget, spending less than half of what our next closest competition spent, and with the 2nd lowest net transfer spend, just feels very, very solid.

Ed Smits has continued to stay on loan, and will be staying at least through next season, but his loan fee is getting prohibitive — but Manchester United know as well as we do what they have, and that is a world class centre forward. When I check with my talent evaluators, some days he’s world class, some days he’s a leading player for the Premier League. He had a couple minor knocks, but he’s right there at that world class level now, and has starting banging in goals as a full international for Holland now, so the word is out on the young Dutchman.

Speaking of young Dutchmen, we also found another stud of a player in young Theo Huisman, a left back we got for a steal off the transfer list at PSG. We paid only £1.9M for him from PSG, and his value has already tripled to over £6.5M and he is also now viewed as a world class full back. We got a great season out of Michael Folivi, who again scored 20 goals, but my staff feel he has peaked as a player. He’s still decent-to-good for the Premier League, but we have to begin to look for competition if not a flat-out replacement in the future.

The club accomplishments moved us up the reputation and the “rich list” with us now coming in as the world’s 25th most valuable club. The club was worth between 600 and 800K when I began my tenure, and Stevenage F.C. is now worth £358M at last look, with absolutely zero debt — and that includes purchasing a renovated and expanded Broadhall Way, which while it still only has a capacity of 12,500, has almost doubled in size. Owning the stadium will allow us to renovate, expand, and profit off of our stadium, so I felt it was very important to get it done as soon as possible. We are now viewed as a rich club, and we have over £25M in the balance.

Facility upgrades have been frequent and ongoing. One youth facility upgrade finished already at the start of the new season, and we have both a youth and a senior team facilities upgrade finishing this December as well. As of right now (September 2021), our training facilities our Impressive, our youth facilities are Good — and again, both of those have another further upgrade finishing in less than 90 days. We also now have an Established youth recruitment network and Exceptional junior coaching, and have actually started producing academy players with a real chance. 16-year-old Wayne Richards may be the first fruit of our upgraded academy, as he is seen as having the potential to be a leading attacking midfielder in the Premiership. We’ve also produced a few other youths that could be solid in the last season and a half, but the work is just now starting to bear fruit, and its something to watch for in the future.

That is, if my future winds up being at Stevenage. I declared interest in both the open Manchester jobs at the end of this season, with Manchester United being so flattered by my declaration of interest that I went as far as to actually apply while still being employed at Stevenage. They didn’t fire me (how do you fire a club legend?) but United wound up giving the job to Hamza Hamzaoglu after firing Roy Keane. Hamzaoglu had some success with Galatasaray, winning 3 Super Leagues between 2014 and 2018, but won nothing at Roma between 2018 and 2021 before being given the United job. The hiring didn’t make a ton of sense to me, and the early returns for the next campaign do not bode well for Hamza OR United… they may rue the day they gave the job to another man. The City job went to Jose Mourinho, and obviously I don’t have much to say about that hire, especially since after he left Chelsea he led Spain to a World Cup, so his CV is awfully impressive. ;)

But, for now, we stay at Stevenage and start looking to make serious runs at silverware that counts for this challenge. I’ve also added Germany and France as playable in case things go well (or badly) in a hurry, as I want to stay in the big European leagues for the start of my career. I just think it will help greatly with reputation issues down the road and even though it may take a little longer to get silverware rolling, I think it will help keep it rolling in down the road.

We’ve advanced to the Group Stage in the Europa League and have started solidly in our Group, and we are again challenging for the Champions League places early in the next season. Also, even though he is also a left-back, I couldn’t help but add another world class one in Angel Blanco. I’m of the opinion that if you have a chance to land a world class player at a true bargain, you get that player and you sort it out later. We also signed our first truly “veteran” player in a 32-year-old Theo Walcott — both to add to our attacking options as he still has blinding pace — but mainly for leadership and mentoring of younger players. Even after his release from Arsenal, he’s more than worth the wages.

We also made our first truly “big-money” deal, as we signed England’s #1 goalkeeper, Gary Groombridge, away from Chelsea. He had become unhappy with the Blues, and even though he was still very expensive, he was an undoubted upgrade and cheaper than he would ever be again as I was lucky enough to have him unsettled. Klopp finally gave in, and we got our man. Not that Klopp cares, with four straight Prem titles to add to his CV, not to mention a Champions League along with many other nice trophies. :)

We hope you will keep following our progress, and, as always, thank you for reading American Werewolf Football!

Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues

0/10 domestic cups

0/5 club continental championships

0/1 club world championship

International

0/5 continental tournaments

0/2 world tournaments

[b]Club Career:[size=2]

[i]2015-16: England - Sky Bet League Two - Stevenage FC:[/i] Above mid-table finish was expected, we crashed out in the Playoff Semi-Final to miss promotion.
[i]2016-17: England - Sky Bet League Two - Stevenage FC:[/i] Expected to win title, won League Two with record point total of 104.  Promoted.  JPT Finalist, great cup performances. 
[i]2017-18: England - Sky Bet League One - Stevenage FC:[/i] Initial expectation of Playoffs, won League One Title with five fixtures remaining.  JPT Finalist 2nd straight season. 
[i]2018-19: England - Sky Bet Championship - Stevenage FC:[/i] Above mid-table expected, finished 4th position and lost in extra-time of Championship Play-off Final to miss promotion.
[i]2019-20: England - Sky Bet Championship - Stevenage FC:[/i] Expected to challenge for the title, won title with four fixtures remaining.  Capital One Cup Finalist.
[i]2020-21: England - Barclay's Premier League - Stevenage FC:[/i] Predicted to finish 14th, finished 7th and qualified for Europa League.  Horrible cup performances.[/b]
[/size]

[b]International Career:[size=2]           

[i]2015-Present:[/i] Unemployed internationally.    [/b] [/size]  

[b]Minor Trophies:[size=2]

[i]Sky Bet Championship (2019/20), Sky Bet League 1 (2017/18), Sky Bet League 2 (2016/17) [/i]     [/b] [/size]        

[b]Personal Accolades:[size=2]

[i]Sky Bet Championship Manager of the Year (2019/20) [/i]  [/b] [/size]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI,

I tried this set up [to Tier 4 in England, Tier 3 France and Holland, Portugal and Greece] (mostly because the choices of where to start overwhelmed me) and applied to all the open jobs at the start (in FM 16, July 2015 start). I ended up getting interviews for Cambridge (League 2) and two South African second tier teams right away. I declined them, though, as I want the game to go forward a little more first. I may come to regret that choice, though.

It was about 76,000 players with a Large database.

It was a good start.

Welcome boojar, my hint: I would grabbed Cambridge with both arms open.

Hi guys, I'm going to attempt this challenge as well and see how far I cant get.

Here's my manager profile and the leagues loaded (page 2).

So basically every nation and most leagues are loaded but I'm going to be patient and careful with my first club as advised.

Edit:-

Its October 2015 and just got my first job as manager of Qingdao Zhongneng who sit 7th in the Chinese National First Division (2nd tier) with only 2 games to go.

My first season is complete in China although I has pretty much nothing to do with it, we had already been confirmed that we could finish no higher than 7th before I played my only 2 games of the season, which were both away against 2nd and 10th and we won 5-1 & 7-3 so I'm feeling good about my first real season next year.

[color=#333333][b]Season   Team    Position  Notes and Achievements[/b]
2015    Qingdao    7th (Chinese Tier 2)  Only played 2 games[/color]
[color=#333333]

[b]Challenge Progress[/b]

Club
 0/10 top domestic leagues (Insert nations)
 0/10 domestic cups ()
 0/5 club continental championships ()

International
 0/5 continental tournaments () [font=Verdana]  
0/2 world tournaments ()[/font]
[/color]

jdd congrats on a good performance in PL.

Thank you! I've just got to keep raising the wage budget at every possible opportunity. I think I can keep competing, and indeed I chose Champions League qualification for my expectation... but I think we will need to spend a bit more before we can truly think about winning it. Then again, I thought this when I won L2, L1 and the Championship as well...

Things are definitely getting exciting. :) Appreciate you and others following my progress!

Was going to try a youth-only challenge this year but figured the journeyman style is much more my cup of tea. Went from Athlone Town to Udinese last year via Institute, Morton, Doncaster and the Ivory Coast national team, but didn't actually win anything particularly noteworthy except from the Scottish Premiership, so hopefully this challenge will push me a bit further in that regard. Will be playing this on FMC (or FM Touch, whatever it is) as I generally struggle to invest loads of time in a full-fat game. Have set up with Sunday League reputation (only shows the stars as it's FMT), and I've loaded South Africa, South Korea and China to begin with down to their bottom tiers. I initially turned down the Vasco CT and Cape Town FC jobs, and in September took the chance to join...

Didn't expect to get a job as good as Gyeongnam first. They were predicted to finish top of the South Korean second tier, but sit in 4th well off the top spot. However, play-offs are still a very realistic possibility, and that's my aim for the rest of the season. The squad was colossal when I joined with roughly 50 players, so I've put many in the reserves and will be trying to offload them as soon as I can.

Was going to try a youth-only challenge this year but figured the journeyman style is much more my cup of tea. Went from Athlone Town to Udinese last year via Institute, Morton, Doncaster and the Ivory Coast national team, but didn't actually win anything particularly noteworthy except from the Scottish Premiership, so hopefully this challenge will push me a bit further in that regard. Will be playing this on FMC (or FM Touch, whatever it is) as I generally struggle to invest loads of time in a full-fat game. Have set up with Sunday League reputation (only shows the stars as it's FMT), and I've loaded South Africa, South Korea and China to begin with down to their bottom tiers. I initially turned down the Vasco CT and Cape Town FC jobs, and in September took the chance to join...

Didn't expect to get a job as good as Gyeongnam first. They were predicted to finish top of the South Korean second tier, but sit in 4th well off the top spot. However, play-offs are still a very realistic possibility, and that's my aim for the rest of the season. The squad was colossal when I joined with roughly 50 players, so I've put many in the reserves and will be trying to offload them as soon as I can.

Welcome and good luck offen

Welcome to the challenge, Offen94!

Definitely one of the fun things is the variety between where everyone starts. I only tackled England first because I had a feeling I could really pretty up my CV for the future and have my pick of jobs once I get done in England, but others have definitely been successful down the route you are headed! Best of luck to you, and welcome! :)

Welcome and good luck offen

Thanks TheEarl!

Welcome to the challenge, Offen94!

Definitely one of the fun things is the variety between where everyone starts. I only tackled England first because I had a feeling I could really pretty up my CV for the future and have my pick of jobs once I get done in England, but others have definitely been successful down the route you are headed! Best of luck to you, and welcome! :)

Thank you, I guess I thought I'd do it this way around having risen through the ranks in Britain in my FM15 save. Already at my first real hurdle as my only goalkeeper has been called up for national service for two years! It's going to be one heck of a ride...

2015 Season Update - Gyeongnam

Gyeongnam_zpsetwr7zfw.png

[ League Table | Results ]

Top Scorer: Milos Stojanovic (15)

Most Assists: Milos Stojanovic (8)

Highest Rated: Yu Ji-No (7.11)

We finished the season exactly where we were when I joined, in 4th place. This qualified us for the play-offs, which took a slightly different format than those in the English league system. 4th plays 3rd, the winner of that plays 2nd, and the winner of that faces off with the second bottom team from the top flight. This wasn't the only thing different, as they were single-leg play-offs at the home ground of the higher seeded team. We managed to scrape past Ansan Police, and then led Seoul E-Land for most of the game before conceding a frustrating late equaliser. What was even more frustrating was that if the game ends in a draw, the home team progresses, meaning I was knocked out of the play-offs without losing a game. E-Land ultimately fell at the hands of K-League Classic outfit Busan I-Park.

In terms of the squad, I am hoping to get rid of plenty of deadwood, but unfortunately most players still seem to have a while left on their contract. We do have some good performers in the team though, Jo Jae-Cheol, Wagner Querino and Milos Stojanovic will all be key for us next season. Hopefully, we can make a better push for promotion next time around. However, the wage budget needs reducing drastically and I'll have my work cut out there.

[b]Season        Club	     League 	         Pos.  Info.[/b]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/437486-The-Ultimate-Football-Manager-Challenge?p=10566089&viewfull=1#post10566089"]2015[/url]     KOR  Gyeongnam FC   K-League Challenge  4th   Lost in play-off 2nd round

Thank you, I guess I thought I'd do it this way around having risen through the ranks in Britain in my FM15 save. Already at my first real hurdle as my only goalkeeper has been called up for national service for two years! It's going to be one heck of a ride...

I had a few previously failed attempts at this challenge, one because of a crash costing me silverware and making me hate the save, and another when CPU that caused the crash finally took a dump... and I actually had one other save that I just got totally frustrated with when I first picked up 15 after a few years away from the series.

I've played in South Africa and Australia to start saves, and I totally understand why you'd "get away from the norm" and we all need the obscure to progress regardless. :) There's only been one completion and one other who is very close, and their paths are so completely different, you'd have no idea they played the same challenge if they didn't tell you!

Glad you are along for the ride, we've gained so many (but lost a few as well) along the way, and it is always good to have fresh blood to discuss the challenge with!

I started in South Africa, which means that I've missed out on the joys (or otherwise) of promotion for the whole challenge. If I do this challenge again, I will definitely not start in a top division. (I actually played FM16 for a couple of days so that I could experience the joys of promotion, but erm, those joys were not as readily attainable as my ego had suggested).

There's definitely an old school and new school way of doing things. Old school is small country top division. new school is big country (usually in Europe), lower division.

I deliberately don't say what level first jobs are possible, (because people should find their own path) but I think people might be surprised at the level they can start with if they are patient at the start of the game. Just because the clubs at the start laugh off your interest doesn't mean that all the clubs at the level will. Most people start off at much smaller clubs than necessary, though there are disadvantages to taking over a club in the relegation mire, if only from an enjoying the game / challenge point of view. Anyway, Earl started off in the Conference, and it worked out ok for him.

Offen94 - Welcome to the challenge, if I haven't already done that. I lived in fear of army class-ups during my time in Korea, but it never transpired. Gyeongnam have won the Champions League in my save.

Champfan - Welcome to the challenge and to China. Qingdao is Jonoon, right? Hainiu play in Qingdao as well, but I've no idea which division they're in at the moment.

JDD - You're showing admirable loyalty to Stevenage. I mean, I know you've shown interest in the top clubs, but you must have been approached by some in-between. Are you going to poke your toe into international management at some point?

So my own shot at a challenge didn't spark a lot of attention (not really any at all).

I have decided to make another go at this challenge then, and will be starting in FM16 soon, and I will report any progress here. How I will play the game I haven't decided yet, just that I will follow the rules of this challenge. Excited to test the new FM16 and to see where it takes me.

I deliberately don't say what level first jobs are possible, (because people should find their own path) but I think people might be surprised at the level they can start with if they are patient at the start of the game. Just because the clubs at the start laugh off your interest doesn't mean that all the clubs at the level will. Most people start off at much smaller clubs than necessary, though there are disadvantages to taking over a club in the relegation mire, if only from an enjoying the game / challenge point of view. Anyway, Earl started off in the Conference, and it worked out ok for him.

Offen94 - Welcome to the challenge, if I haven't already done that. I lived in fear of army class-ups during my time in Korea, but it never transpired. Gyeongnam have won the Champions League in my save.

Thanks vikeologist, good to know that the club are capable of going places! Interesting that you speak about a "level" of first jobs - I think it depends what leagues you load. In my experience, loading England right down to level 6 will see you only able to get jobs at 6th tier clubs, but if you just load it down to League Two you'll get jobs at that level. I guess the game makes sure there are always jobs available for you.

Thanks vikeologist, good to know that the club are capable of going places! Interesting that you speak about a "level" of first jobs - I think it depends what leagues you load. In my experience, loading England right down to level 6 will see you only able to get jobs at 6th tier clubs, but if you just load it down to League Two you'll get jobs at that level. I guess the game makes sure there are always jobs available for you.

I agree to this to a certain extent offen94. I tried a few starts on FM15 for fun (not going to reveal them) but obviously with these starting conditions you can't just start english Premier League and expect to get a job, as one more example I can say that I started only Germany down to Tier 3 and never got a job for 2 years of applying (as German nationality) so the league you start need to have a low reputation, but if you load Tier 6 in England I guess you will not be offered a Tier 4 job.

I actually did wonder if the game will always find a job for you, and once loaded down to the championship and gave it a couple of year seeing if I could get jobs at newly promoted championship sides or lower rep clubs that found themselves in the championship. The game did not make sure there was a job for me.

I'm not convinced that the divisions you load have an impact on how good a job you can get, but only SI could say for sure. More divisions mean more manager movement and maybe more competition for jobs / more viable managers.

I agree to this to a certain extent offen94. I tried a few starts on FM15 for fun (not going to reveal them) but obviously with these starting conditions you can't just start english Premier League and expect to get a job, as one more example I can say that I started only Germany down to Tier 3 and never got a job for 2 years of applying (as German nationality) so the league you start need to have a low reputation, but if you load Tier 6 in England I guess you will not be offered a Tier 4 job.
I actually did wonder if the game will always find a job for you, and once loaded down to the championship and gave it a couple of year seeing if I could get jobs at newly promoted championship sides or lower rep clubs that found themselves in the championship. The game did not make sure there was a job for me.

However, I did get a first job (on FM16) at a league 1 (tier 3) side. I'm not convinced that the divisions you load have an impact on how good a job you can get, but only SI could say for sure.

Interesting, I guess we'll never know... I certainly won't be accepting any 6th tier jobs in my future journeyman saves, that's for sure!

mayihavecookie's Challenge, Season 10

Season 2023/24

120px-Real_Madrid_Logo.svg.png

Real Madrid - Primera División

League Table | Schedule 1 | Schedule 2 | Schedule 3 | Double | Manager Profile

It was a season I enjoyed a lot. Real was actually in debt and our transfer budget was not as big as I expected, but still more than I've ever used before and more than enough to bring in the few reinforcements we needed.

I played a 4-2-3-1 for the first time in my career. Isco, Ødegaard, James and Kroos were the four star players I rotated on the three AM positions. In CM I had two very strong newgens: Alfonso came back to us after one season on loan to play a big role in the first team with 7 goals and 11 assists, and English/South African Mkhwanazi joined us for free after his contract with Everton expired. In defence we had a few strong centre backs who played on rotation, as well as world class right back Dani Carvajal. I bought Lucas Digne, one of the strongest players of my French national team, as a left-back. On the goalkeeper position I relied on 36 year old Keylor Navas for the first half of the season. In winter I brought in a newgen goalkeeper from Porto who did pretty well. My most valuable player this season was Felipe, a 23 year old Brazilian striker I got from São Paulo for £18M. A bit of a rirsk to spend so much money on a player who never left South America so far, but he played as if he'd been playing in a European top league for years. Reaching 50 goals and 17 assists in 45 games with 11 Player of the Match awards.

We didn't have the perfect start and drew two of our first three games. This resulted in us chasing after Valencia for the bigger part of the first half of the season. We were able to overtake them when we beat them in the 14th game of the season. We then never gave away the first place again and Valencia dropped down to 4th over the course of the season. We finished as League Champions with 98 points from 38 games with a goal difference of 123 to 25.

We won the Spanish Cup as well, beating Huesca, Sevilla, Granada, Barcelona and finally Atlético on our way.

In the Champions League we didn't have any success, which was a bit disappointing. We had an easy group with Viktoria Plzen, Bremen and Olympique Marseille and we won the group with some luck, taking 12 points from 6 games. In the First Knockout Round Chelsea was too strong for us. We lost 1-4 away and weren't able to fix it in the home game were we only won 2-0. The board was disappointed obviously, but since we were leading the league by some points, my job security only went down to stable.

I will leave now Real Madrid and move to Ajax, a team I wanted to manage for a long time.

We easily qualified for the EURO, winning every game after our embarrassing defeat against Iceland and our out against England in the Nations League Semi Final. I reevaluated my squad in the winter break and found some promising youngsters who deserved a call up in the friendlies before the EURO, and some of them made it into my squad for the tournament. I'll take seven players to Italy who are between 19 and 22 years old. We won all of our four friendlies this year (Serbia 3-2, Slovakia 2-0, Croatia 4-1 and Scotland 1-0) and I'm looking forward to the EURO. I'll post an update very soon.

[b]CLUB CAREER

Season     Club             Pos   DC1   DC2    Cont    Notes & Achievements[/b]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014  CHN Renhe             11th  QF    n/a    n/a     Took over after 13 games in 16th 
2015  CHN Renhe             2nd   QF    n/a    n/a     Chinese Manager of the Year
2016  CHN Renhe             1st   Won   n/a    R2      Won Chinese Super League & FA Cup
2017  KOR Chunnam           2nd   R4    n/a    Won     Won Asian Champions League
2018  KOR Jeonbuk           1st   Won   n/a    Won     Won Asian Champions League, K-League Classic & FA Cup
19/20 RSA Kaizer Chiefs     2nd   Won   QF     n/a     Won SA Cup
20/21 RSA Kaizer Chiefs     1st   Won   R1     open    Won SA Cup, Be The Coach and Premier Soccer League
21/22 RSA Kaizer Chiefs     1st   R1    QF     won     Won African Champions League, left after 13 games in 1st
21/22 GER Borussia Dortmund 3rd   F     n/a    n/a     Took over after 26 games in 9th
22/23 GER Borussia Dortmund 1st   F     n/a    EL won  Won Bundesliga and Europa League
23/24 ESP Real Madrid       1st   Won   n/a    R2      Won La Liga and Spanish Cup

[b]INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Year   Nation        NL     WC     Cont.  Conf.  Notes & Achievements[/b]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018   South Korea                               Joined 22.7.18
2019   South Korea                 QF            Sacked 6.2.19
2019   Cameroon                                  Joined 17.2.19 World Ranking 29th
2020   Cameroon      
2021   Cameroon                    Won           Won African Cup of Nations
2022   Cameroon             3rd                  Resigned 10.7.22 World Ranking 4th
2023   France        SF                          Joined 17.7.22 World Ranking 7th
2024   France

Challenge Progress

Club
5/10 top domestic leagues (China (Renhe), South Korea (Jeonbuk), South Africa (Kaizer Chiefs), Germany (Dortmund), Spain (Real Madrid))
4/10 domestic cups (China (Renhe), South Korea (Jeonbuk), South Africa (Kaizer Chiefs), Spain (Real Madrid))
2/5  club continental championships (Asia (Chunnam & Jeonbuk), Africa (Kaizer Chiefs))
0/1  club world championship

International
1/5  continental tournaments (African Cup of Nations with Cameroon)
0/2  world tournaments

JDD - You're showing admirable loyalty to Stevenage. I mean, I know you've shown interest in the top clubs, but you must have been approached by some in-between. Are you going to poke your toe into international management at some point?

Honestly, I only loaded Spain and Germany during the last campaign, and I think, since the game is still running super-fast, that I'll probably add France and Italy in today for more choices. I've been approached by I believe 9 clubs now at different points, but at no point would taking the interview have been at a "better" position. For example, when I was in the Championship, I was approached by Blackburn, Fulham, Leeds, and Forest, but they were all in far worse shape in the Championship at the time of the interview offers.

I declared interest at Liverpool during the season last year, but they went Ramon Diaz instead and they're now reaping the joy of 15th in the table after 12 fixtures (slightly worse than Man U.)

I've not been offered a job at anywhere that would even be considered a "lateral move" at this point. I was honestly shocked that I wasn't at least offered an interview at United after they stated how much my interest flattered them -- but at this point I think odds are better that we see Stevenage as PL/CL doublers than I see myself moving. Oh, and for some reason, I seem to have an unhealthy obsession with trying to win the Europa League this year. :)

I do intend to start internationally soon, but I was more or less waiting until my reputation gave me a choice of jobs where I don't feel I need to build much to win challenger trophies. I was offered the Australia senior national position (30th in world at time) in either 18/19 or 19/20, but its the only offer/interview I've received from an international side at this point -- and I want to take my first international job in Europe.

I may have dropped my "big plan" from the earlier failure saves, but I've definitely still got one. I think I can have a World Class rep in a year or two possibly, and then travel the world like a Hall of Famer. ;)

All I know right now is that my universe's Jurgen Klopp needs a new challenge... and even though it is still early, even with Kloppy not being top right off rip (after 4 PL titles in a row), City hires a World Cup winning Mourinho to poop in my corn flakes. It's definitely interesting. :)

OykBFTD.png

Out in the Quarter Final against Turkey. I will probably be sacked :mad:

Edit: I was sacked. I'm really disappointed, there really was some talent around and we should have been much better than this. Holland sacked their manager as well, but I won't apply. There is no point in taking over another struggling European team with four years to go until the next European championship, so I'll stay without an international job for the moment.

Champfan - Welcome to the challenge and to China. Qingdao is Jonoon, right? Hainiu play in Qingdao as well, but I've no idea which division they're in at the moment.

I didn't know it was but have just checked and yep there better known as Qingdao Jonoon.

Could someone answer me if the Olympics count as an international tournament win, I've just got the Argentina U23 job to my surprise, didn't even have an interview for the job.

2016 Season Update - Gyeongnam

[ League Table | Results #1 #2 #3 ]

Top Scorer: Wagner Querino (13)

Most Assists: Milos Stojanovic (10)

Highest Rated: You Ho-Jun (7.37)

Really enjoying the save so far, but it was another frustrating season for exactly the same reason, in exactly the same game, against exactly the same club. The league season was close, and we struggled for consistency just like all the other teams. We did beat last season's finish by one place, and that made all the difference against Ansan Police as we scraped through with a draw. Yet again we battered Seoul E-Land and lost out due to being the away side. They went on to beat Gwangju who were relegated along with Seongnam.

Plenty of deadwood players have their contracts expiring, so I am hopeful I can make improvements to the team. A new keeper is at the top of my shopping list, as well as a left-back to replace my outbound 36 year-old who plays there at the minute. A couple of good players have returned from national service who will further strengthen my team. It could be all or nothing next season; if I miss out on promotion for a third time, I may look to move on to China to hopefully take a different route to the Asian Champions League.

[b]Season        Club	    League 	        Pos.  Info.[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015     KOR  Gyeongnam FC  K-League Challenge   4th  Lost in play-off 2nd round
2016	 KOR  Gyeongnam FC  K-League Challenge   3rd  Lost in play-off 2nd round

I add and subtract leagues quite often. I started off with just two (South Africa and China), and just have the ones I need. At the moment I have 4 leagues because I keep believing that I'm on the verge of winning the premier league and needing another job in another country.

I think it is sometimes helpful to have a plan, even at the start, and know which country you want to start in, and which division. Do you think you want to start in Europe and conquer that first, or start elsewhere in the world?

I add and subtract leagues quite often. I started off with just two (South Africa and China), and just have the ones I need. At the moment I have 4 leagues because I keep believing that I'm on the verge of winning the premier league and needing another job in another country.

I think it is sometimes helpful to have a plan, even at the start, and know which country you want to start in, and which division. Do you think you want to start in Europe and conquer that first, or start elsewhere in the world?

Well, I havent done this challenge before, but I want to give it a go! What is the "standard" strategy people go for? And if I start with only two leagues, can I just add as I go along.

I normally start in lower leagues and then I just include England, Spain, Germany and Italy.

Yes. You can add and subtract as you go. FM16 certainly seems to be stable enough to handle that.

Historically (as much as you can use that word for something with a history of 1 year and half a week) there are 2 key approaches.

The people who did this challenge at the start like me (old school) started in Asia or South African top division, and planned to finish in Europe.

Then some people (new school) started in European lower divisions. This enabled them to have a higher reputation earlier in the game, and get international jobs (and major trophies) much earlier. (but only because they were very good at the game and were promoted often and early).

There are other approaches, but I don't think they worked too well. OK, I'll tell you. Don't start in a tiny little place like Hong Kong or Indonesia, because you can win the league and still not be able to get a job worth a can of beans in nations such as China or South Korea.

However, the best thing about this challenge is that there are different ways of going about it, and maybe someone will find a new way. For instance I don't think anybody has ever started in South America. I don't even have any idea what level jobs one could attain there.

Yes. You can add and subtract as you go. FM16 certainly seems to be stable enough to handle that.

Historically (as much as you can use that word for something with a history of 1 year and half a week) there are 2 key approaches.

The people who did this challenge at the start like me (old school) started in Asia or South African top division, and planned to finish in Europe.

Then some people (new school) started in European lower divisions. This enabled them to have a higher reputation earlier in the game, and get international jobs (and major trophies) much earlier. (but only because they were very good at the game and were promoted often and early).

There are other approaches, but I don't think they worked too well. OK, I'll tell you. Don't start in a tiny little place like Hong Kong or Indonesia, because you can win the league and still not be able to get a job worth a can of beans in nations such as China or South Korea.

However, the best thing about this challenge is that there are different ways of going about it, and maybe someone will find a new way. For instance I don't think anybody has ever started in South America. I don't even have any idea what level jobs one could attain there.

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply! Certainly there are many ways to go about it, maybe South America is a good bet!

I just know that I had great success taking teams from the lower leagues to CL-glory, but I want to compete with others and have a massive challenge like this is great!

So when you start the game, you dont add the leagues at all, you bring them in afterwards?

Vikeologist's 2046 Brazil World Cup Report

brazil-defeat21_zpsprmhuwzl.jpg

It started off ok. We qualified top of our group unbeaten despite playing much of the second half with only 8 players, 1 sending off and 2 injuries. In the circumstances a 0-0 result seemed quite good.

In the second round we played Italy, and after 90 minutes it was 0-0 again. The same after 120 minutes. Frankly we could have played all night. Nobody was ever going to score. We squeaked through on penalties, but it didn't disguise the fact that we were basically toothless.

The quarterfinal was against Portugal. They were awarded a penalty which they converted. we were awarded a penalty, which looked like it was pretty much the only way we were ever going to score; except our guy flubbed it. We became more attacking and snatched the equaliser, but Portugal got the winner near the end of the match.

I was sacked. This may sound a bit harsh, but after a disappointing Copa America and WC qualifying, it really wasn't working.

Hopefully I will get either the vacant Argentina or Mexico posts.

Update: They both wanted me, but I opted for the Chihuahua.

th?id=OIP.M9244fa1a38de52f923b3511fe4a9d126o0&pid=15.1

Champfan10 Season 2

Season 2016

QingdaoJonoonFC_zpscy2oadck.png

Qingdao Zhongneng– Chinese National First Division

Competition -- Schedule -- Tactics

This was my first full season in a job and after winning my initial 2 games at the end of last season I felt quite positive for this year.

I started off trying to implement a ball playing, possession keeping 4-2-3-1 formation and we made a solid enough start winning 3 out of the first 5 games and dominated possession but then something happened to the team and we went on a run of only 1 win 7 games which left us down in 7th and way off the leaders.

Then over the next 9 games I played about with the tactics, probably to much and we managed to pick up 13 points in theses games and was even further behind the leaders now after 21 games in 8th . This led to the board calling me in for an emergency meeting and declaring that I need to pick 10 points from the next 5 games, which could be difficult with the run of form we was on and the fact that we had 4 teams above us in those 5 games. We have 9 games to save our season,promotion seems impossible but I want to get us right ready for next year, if I can save my job.

So I decided to really look into my tactics and completely changed the way we would play. I opted for a 4-4-1-1 system which consisted of inverted wingbacks that would ensure we could bully teams in the middle of the park. I made sure the players understood that I still wanted to control the game but I would be giving them more freedom to do it and the results was great. In the last 9 games we managed to win

Argentina U23s

I got the job to take the Argentina U23s into the 2016 Olympics and was quite positive about our chances but to cut things short my tactic tinkering and lack of build up friendlies cost me and we was out in 2 games after losing 6-1 to Germany and 3-1 to Nigeria so I resigned before we played the last group game.

[b]Season        Club        League             Pos.  Info.[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015          Qingdao       China First Division  7th  Only played 2 games
2016          Qingdao       China First Division  4th  Out of FA Cup in 2nd Round

Season     National Team      Notes
2015/16    Argentina U23s     2016 Olympics Group Stage Resigned

So, I think I'll give this challenge another go. Not that any of you will remember, but I did attempt this challenge quite early on in last year's game, however other commitments meant that I only lasted about 4 seasons before stopping.

Here's to many more hours of false hope and bitter disappointment.

This is incorrect, at least in 15. I got the job at Cambridge in L2 loaded down to the Conference. The only factor that truly comes into play is the reputation of the club and their current situation. When I took them over they were a 1.5 star club.

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply! Certainly there are many ways to go about it, maybe South America is a good bet!

I just know that I had great success taking teams from the lower leagues to CL-glory, but I want to compete with others and have a massive challenge like this is great!

So when you start the game, you dont add the leagues at all, you bring them in afterwards?

Some do add the leagues at the start, and some don't. That really just depends on your computer power. If you're looking more to compete and challenge yourself, going lower leagues to CL isn't a bad way to start at all, because as he said, if you're successful, you can get your reputation up there quite quickly.

It's happened after my most recent update, but I'm almost to the New Year 2022 and I just declined an interview with Liverpool (5* rep) because I have my Stevenage in a better spot.

If you want to truly compete, try to take the path that you think will lead to the highest reputation the fastest... I think that is the best piece of advice I can give, even if I'm on full-fat and haven't gotten my achievements yet, I've got the groundwork laid for a career within 5 to 5.5 seasons, starting from League 2 in England.

predator_scare - Season 15/16 - Preview -

Arema Cronus FC

2Q==

Manager Profile 1|Manager Profile 2

Indonesia becomes my destination of choice as I accept the job offer for the post at Arema Cronus FC, currently residing comfortably towards the top end of the Indonesian Super League (top division). Predicted to finish 4th and with expectations from the board to win the league, this first season could mean that I start the challenge off to a flyer, or suffer my first of what is likely to be many sackings.

The squad looks decent, but is slightly lacking in wide men, and starting the season with 7 mid-to-long-term injuries definitely doesn't help. On top of this, the league's rule of a maximum of 3 foreign players, means that recruitment becomes quite challenging, with Indonesia slightly lacking in 'the talent department'.

In summary, I'd love a good start, but it's way too soon for optimism!

Edit: Just realised I'm going against vikeologist's advice about not starting in a small nation, such as the one I've just taken a job in, as even winning the league doesn't guarantee much for the future. Great.

PS- Of course I remember you, though I'm afraid I don't remember too much about your save. Had to look it up. You were here in the formative months of the challenge. Welcome back, and good luck in Indonesia. (Don't read post 128).:p

JDD - (and others) When I say that you can happily add and subtract leagues, in FM15 at least there was something you had to do at the start of FM Classic (now Touch) games to remove league restrictions. I haven't even looked at FMTouch, so not sure what the situation is with that.

Champfan - Good luck in season 3, and hopefully you can now get a better international job.

For instance I don't think anybody has ever started in South America. I don't even have any idea what level jobs one could attain there.

I loaded up a game with the intent of starting in South America. I couldn't even come close to getting a job. I even tried again after fudging the rules and gave my manager a Brazilian and even Argentinian second nationalities. I couldn't even get an interview at the lowest level in Brazil. Tried Uruguay, Peru, Chile and Columbia, all with no-luck. I'd be interested to see if anyone gets a successful start in South America.

It took more than a year, but I got an interview with a couple of newly promoted sides in different nations, and was offered a job. (This is on the full-fat version).

But I am surprised at how difficult it is to get a job in South America. I can't believe that it would be harder / as hard to get a job in the Argentine 2nd division as English league 1.

Wouldn't it be fun if FM16 South American (and Italian) nations took your manager's looks and fashion style into account.

I guess that's why nobody's ever started in South America. Now we know.

It took more than a year, but I got an interview with a couple of newly promoted sides in different nations, and was offered a job. (This is on the full-fat version).

But I am surprised at how difficult it is to get a job in South America. I can't believe that it would be harder / as hard to get a job in the Argentine 2nd division as English league 1.

Wouldn't it be fun if FM16 South American (and Italian) nations took your manager's looks and fashion style into account.

I guess that's why nobody's ever started in South America. Now we know.

On one of my tries on FM15 to "test the waters" I could have been appointed manager at Mogi Mirim in Brazil around 7-8 months into the game.

I'm having some huge trouble in away games with Ajax at the moment. I think we've won every home game so far but lost away to teams we should beat easily. Just won 3-0 at home against PSG in the CL, then lost away to the 16th in the league. I've had the same problem last season with Real but the team was so strong it didn't matter so much.

Any advice on how to handle this? In my impression, playing more cautios makes it worse and playing more attacking makes it alot worse :)

I've resigned mid season at Qingdao and after 3 weeks out I'm the new manager at Kitchee in Hong Kong, although the league is considered poor in comparison to the Chinese top division, I think I should be able to mount a more serious assault on this challenge in Hong Kong. Kitchee had finished 3rd and 4th in the last 2 years and I'm joining in pre season for the Hong Kong league with the expectations of qualifying for the Champions League.

2015/16 Season Review

LUTON TOWN

luton-town-header175-9870.png

Leagues running: England (4 Tiers), France (3 Tiers), Greece (2 Tiers), South Korea (2 Tiers), China (1 Tier), South Africa (2 Tiers)

Took over Luton Town and I couldn’t have asked for a better position. John Still left to take over League 1 Gillingham, creating the opening. He didn’t finish the season as he got fired by the end of the season because he couldn’t get Gillingham out of the relegation zone so we will be swapping places with them.

Luton was in 8th when I took over December 16 and the goal was to make the playoffs. Their pre-season prediction was 2nd, so they had talent. Most of their talent was young, not loans and signed long-term.

They took to my 4-4-2 and it worked really well. We went 17-4-7 with a +32 goal differential. With the defence set, I simply added a goalkeeper and two midfielders on loan to finish the season.

My biggest move was extending the team’s loan on a 19 year old striker. He had 28 goals in 33 League Two games and actually led the league in scoring.

I won’t be able to buy him, but a new affiliation with Arsenal plus a nice budget increase should help. Not to mention that almost all of my expiring contracts were League Two filler, so I could rebuild the key parts of the team for the League One experience.

I also applied for a National C licence and after the team initially refused because they were scared it would make me more attractive to other teams, they agreed to it and I signed a one-year contract extension (my initial contract was until the end of the season).

A really positive start, so far. We’ll see how it goes from here.

Season   Team    League       Position  Notes and Achievements
2015/16  Luton   ENG League 2 1st       Took over 8th place on Dec 16/15
                                       Promoted to League One

Challenge Progress

Club
 0/10 top domestic leagues ()
 0/10 domestic cups ()
 0/5 club continental championships ()

International
 0/5 continental tournaments ()
 0/2 world tournaments ()

I'm having some huge trouble in away games with Ajax at the moment. I think we've won every home game so far but lost away to teams we should beat easily. Just won 3-0 at home against PSG in the CL, then lost away to the 16th in the league. I've had the same problem last season with Real but the team was so strong it didn't matter so much.

Any advice on how to handle this? In my impression, playing more cautios makes it worse and playing more attacking makes it alot worse :)

Maybe they are just on to your tactic and having the extra pressure on your players being on the road is firing the opponents up to where their plan starts working a bit and cancels out your talent edge?

I don't really alter my tactics much home/away, I've only just recently started making sure I had a counter tactic that I'm sometimes implementing against Arsenal, City, and Chelsea in my save, but that is only relative to their side strength and not to the home/away... but depending on how much pressure you use in your instructions, I might just turn the pressure up on those home teams and press them more.

The home/away issues, when they do rear their head, almost make me think they are more motivation/morale/fatigue on a lot of occasions rather than a tactical problem.

Excellent start, boojar!

My save was also an England start with Stevenage, and I was also allied with Arsenal up until I entered the BPL and couldn't be anymore. :) Most of my most impactful loans came from Man Utd, but Norman Webb and Zelalem were players of mine for a time via my Arsenal affiliation, and Webb was very impressive.

My biggest advice, once you are able, is to try to get a Croatian (best-case) or a Bulgarian or Serbian affiliate club. That way, once you are able, you've got either a 2-year, or at worst a 3-year, loan club to get your work permits! It took me a while to get mine established and it was a big regret. My club would be a lot richer/better if I'd had them in place earlier.

2017 Season Update - Gyeongnam

[ League Table | Results #1 #2 #3 ]

Top Scorer: Wagner Querino (29)

Most Assists: Lee Ho-Suk (10)

Highest Rated: Lee Ho-Suk (7.59)

Having assembled a team that I thought had a shot at the title, I was soon dealt a cruel blow when my chairman sold four of my best players behind my back, including star men Milos Stojanovic and You Jo-Hun both to FC Luzern for just £30k apiece. However, I managed to patch up my squad enough to stay in the title race, and as Gwangju and Ansan Police faltered towards the end of the season, we kept going and won the title by a 5 point margin. Our last league defeat was actually on the 5th of July, meaning that we finished the season unbeaten in 20! Our resilience was key to our success, as we finished with the fewest goals conceded in the league, and only lost 4 in 40. Wagner Querino finally stepped up and produced the kind of goal return we needed to fire us to the title and promotion.

My squad will definitely need some work to stay up next season, and that hasn't been helped by the fact that my chairman has once again sold two of my key players, including the goalkeeper who was crucial for me last season. Already struggling to find a replacement, and with the same wage budget as last season, I don't know how good a team I can assemble for the top flight.

Some good news was that I had successfully applied for the Nigeria job, which surprised me at this stage as I thought they'd laugh off my interest. Hoping to pick up my first international honour with them, but first I need to ensure we qualify for next year's Cup of Nations, picking the team up from slipping to a point against Sudan in their last game. Being given the Nigerian role has opened my eyes a little, and I'm beginning to wonder if a bigger team would offer me a post and give me a chance of some more domestic success.

2015     KOR  Gyeongnam FC  K-League Challenge   4th  Lost in play-off 2nd round
2017     KOR  Gyeongnam FC  K-League Challenge   1st  Champions, promoted

Offen - Your chairman sounds like a real pain in the arse. One of those quandaries of the challenge. Stay where you are (presumably) safe or make the move to a new club where the board may (in my experience of big Korean clubs) be markedly less patient.

JDD - I've never had a good experience of affiliate clubs. Just sucks away a promising player for three years and returns a crap one in their place.

Boojar - Great start. I would have thought that Luton were already a league 1 club. Hopefully you can achieve more success with them next season.

Champfan - Hopefully you can grab your first league title with Kitchee. Do Hong Kong clubs qualify for the CL? Maybe they do. I just seem to remember people saying that it just qualified them for the other continental competition in FM15.

Champfan - Hopefully you can grab your first league title with Kitchee. Do Hong Kong clubs qualify for the CL? Maybe they do. I just seem to remember people saying that it just qualified them for the other continental competition in FM15.

Yeah its not looking bad so far. As far as I understand 2 teams qualify for the Champions League, the team that finishes 1st and then a playoff between the next 4 teams. But both only qualify for the very early stages, so if I get there it will be interesting to see how we cope with much stronger opposition.

Offen

JDD - I've never had a good experience of affiliate clubs. Just sucks away a promising player for three years and returns a crap one in their place.

Usually, the first affiliate club you get, you aren't allowed any input into the process. Once you've been at the club for awhile to where they give you input on the affiliate is when you've got to make the right move. In almost every save I've played in Europe to where I need an EU work permit feeder, they tend to give you a club with horrible facilities to where in almost all cases you see happen what you have described in your post.

I have both a Bulgarian and a Serbian affiliate for work permits, and both have very solid facilities, and more importantly, the players I send them slot in as key players for the side to where they get significant playing time to help the development.

I've only developed a few "very good" (we'll say) talents, but it HAS made an impact on my first team, and it has also been a very good source of money. If you are sending your players to good playing situations with solid facilities they can make you a good deal of profit even if they don't impact your first team.

Obviously YMMV, but you definitely CAN be successful with it! I have two players in my current squad for the Premier League and Europa League that I developed through work-permit feeders, and I have a striker who all of my evaluation staff feels will be at least a leading player in the Premier League that has developed to what he is in Bulgaria. I'm just waiting for him to finish his citizenship or actually pass the appeal waiver granting him the work permit and I'm sure he'll be a great addition to my squad. I picked this player up on a free, and his valuation is now £11M.

I know you are still playing FM15, so maybe this will be something to consider for your next club... seeing if you can have more success than previously with it. I know you're always looking for a new challenge within the challenge or other idiosyncrasies, so maybe something you can have some fun with! :)

2018 Season Update - Gyeongnam

[ Results ]

Having two players sold behind my back was frustrating enough, but when my chairman decided to flog last year's top scorer Wagner Querino, I'd had it. The team was doomed for relegation and the chairman wasn't even going to give me a chance to create a side capable of staying up, so I handed in my resignation. At the time it was a little impulsive and I didn't think it over for very long, but I don't regret the decision. I potentially have a good thing going with Nigeria and thought I would be able to find a good club role elsewhere. Sure enough, Gyeongnam finished the season rock-bottom of the league, however I wasn't so right about my own prospects. At the end of 2018, I find myself still without a club role. Are chairmen reluctant to hire current international managers, or am I just aiming my sights too high I wonder?

2018 Season Update - Nigeria

Nigeria%20Flag_zpsbtzc1y4c.png

[ Results ]

Top Scorer: Victor Moses (9)

Most Assists: Ahmed Musa (5)

Highest Rated: Victor Moses (8.56)

We've not been perfect by any means, however we should have a chance of success at the African Cup of Nations in Cameroon in January. Moses and Musa both firing on all cylinders, albeit against less than formidable opponents for the most part.

2017     KOR  Gyeongnam FC  K-League Challenge   1st  Champions, promoted
2018     KOR  Gyeongnam FC  K-League Classic     n/a  Resigned

[b]Season        Nation	    Rank   Info.[/b]
2018          Nigeria       38th   Qualified for AFCON