The Pentagon Challenge - Liverpool 5-2-1-2

Excellent thread as always RTH. I must admit i have barely contributed to these forums over the last 3 months, since i have found its gone very stale, its the same types of threads with the same questions, and at times unsubstantiated and just downright wrong advice from a few people popping up.

However this is the type of thread i love to read and digest and consider:thup: A few months back i was considering doing a similar exercise with Roger Schmidt and his system at Leverkusen which brought a fair bit of attention last year. One of the key parts to a thread like this is going through both how you analysed/studied a system in real life, as well as how you re-created it in FM and this shows exactly how it should be done. I might just get round to the Roger Schmidt system yet........

Would be great to see others chip in who might have looked at the system Tuchel employs and tried it themselves.

Cheers Jambo98 :thup:

Yep, I added it for the precise reasons you mention. The forum is perpetually stuck in a cycle of boring 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 variants, and I wanted to show that you can get away from standard formations and come up with something new. I've almost finished writing something about a 3-3-3-1, but given the muted response to this article in the forum, I'll probably not bother posting it. Seems like Football Manager's online community really exists on Blogs / Twitter these days, and the forum is a bit of a dying breed.

Cheers Jambo98 :thup:

Yep, I added it for the precise reasons you mention. The forum is perpetually stuck in a cycle of boring 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 variants, and I wanted to show that you can get away from standard formations and come up with something new. I've almost finished writing something about a 3-3-3-1, but given the muted response to this article in the forum, I'll probably not bother posting it. Seems like Football Manager's online community really exists on Blogs / Twitter these days, and the forum is a bit of a dying breed.

Hi RTH, I'd be very interested in hearing about your 3-3-3-1. I've been working on a 3-3-3-1 / 3-4-3 myself for quite some time (still playing FM2014) and have just made some pretty large breakthroughs in terms of getting my team to play the way I want.

Hi RTH, I'd be very interested in hearing about your 3-3-3-1. I've been working on a 3-3-3-1 / 3-4-3 myself for quite some time (still playing FM2014) and have just made some pretty large breakthroughs in terms of getting my team to play the way I want.

I'm not far off having it done to be honest. The system works OK and I've written all the background stuff, just need to illustrate the article with screenshots and words depicting transitions, movement, shortcomings etc.

However, I got distracted by another throwaway save and haven't yet got round to spending a couple of hours grabbing screens etc. Hopefully I'll get round to it this week.

• Administrators

I have a similar tactic in my game, though I call it the 541 Box formation. I don't go into player instructions at all but do apply team ones. This formation can work well and I've found does give a solid defensive base if things just aren't clicking in an attacking sense during a particular match.

I tended to increase creative freedom and ensure I had a very creative player in the midfield going forward to help with the isolation issue you mentioned. :thup:

Good stuff - look forward to your 3-3-3-1, RTH.

Also very much look forwad to the 3311 - that is the type of system i could defo get involved in and try and come up with my own interpretation.

Hopefully a few more threads like this can revive the forum :) The ironic thing is that you can be sure in 6months time, there will be a hoard looking at Tuchel, given his high profile move. I really like how you have gone with the approach of recreating the systems output on the pitch, and not necessarily its shape on the tactics screen - That is something a lot of people get hung up on (i did to some extent when trying to do the Sacchi thing).

I have 9hrs worth of train time coming up over the next few days, i could use a bit of a tactical project myself!

RTHerringbone is there any article you analyze the 4-1-4-1 (you changed to 3-5-2)?

Loved the 3-5-2 formation and how you work space with the roles in the middle and front.

RTHerringbone is there any article you analyze the 4-1-4-1 (you changed to 3-5-2)?

Loved the 3-5-2 formation and how you work space with the roles in the middle and front.

Unfortunately not. I couldn't remember, but checked through what I'd written, and all I went into detail about was the 5-3-2. There's an image of the 4-1-4-1, but no real information about it.

This is really interesting. What intrigues me more is a few weeks ago there was an article on this in Australia - http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/weagles-web-fox-footys-gerard-healy-breaks-down-west-coasts-defensive-tactics/story-e6frf3e3-1227421618499 the funny thing is it's about the defence the West Coast Eagles are using in the AFL. The theory is the same but just using it in defence. I am going to try and get this working in defence as well and if I get it working will report back

I just fielded this formation as Liverpool against Barcelona, first 1/4 CL away game.

First half: They scored within the first minute, because I did not set up properly attacking set pieces on time, we had everyone in the box and it was an easy counter for them. But - we are dominating the possession, tackling, and most importantly - the positioning is just perfect.

We are destroying them with through balls; we had four "1 on 1" situations, which Coutinho and Sturridge failed to capitalize on. We did manage to equalize.

Second half: They recovered possession and since Sturridge was doing really bad as SS, I had to substitute him; we lost his physical presence up front and our long balls started to noticeably lose their effectiveness. It wasn't working at all, so I tried to penetrate somehow by telling them to dribble at defence with shorter balls coming to their feet. We weren't as dangerous during open play, but we scored another from a deflected corner ball. 1-2, we won.

I am more than pleased with what I saw.

• 3 weeks later...

A little (well a lot) belatedly... Excellent read, analysis and implementation RTH. :)

Makes me want to fire up a new LFC save with the transfer updates!

I really enjoyed the 3-3-3-1 article on your blog too! :)

• Administrators
I thought you meant Pentagon! :D just kidding I always fancied a box midfield, but in the classic brazilian 4-2-2-2 setup. Nonetheless I'm interested to see how the 'box' and the wing backs perform here.

Good stuff! :D

Archived