[FM15] Abbey days are here again.

kris0710

You can do it. Does your team have problems beating Relegation fodder? My teams seem to be good against the good teams and downright awful against Relegation threatened teams. It doesn't matter what league I'm in or team I'm managing. The relegation teams always play like Barca against me!

No we can't. :(

I have more issues breaking down sides that come and sit back to defend but i haven't noticed our record being particularly poor against the struggling sides. At the moment i am finding it tough building a tactic that is great going forward, Clough ends up too isolated.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0bWKDKn.png

Cambridge United Football Club

Sky Bet League One - April 2017/18

aRzdOPP.png

Another season another terrible April. Just a single win has seen our top six hopes vanish and the season concludes in disappointing fashion really.

Xfwsxs8.png

Feel for Bradford here, just five points winning the title and still didn't get a Play Off place. A crazy season.

Record

h6eETpC.png

Not the best of debuts, a 4-1 defeat.

| Season  | Club             | Division           | Pos  | Record                                                     |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2014/15 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League Two | 1st  | Pld 50 Won 24 Drew 14 Lost 12 For 76 Against 59 Win% 48    |
| 2015/16 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 11th | Pld 100 Won 43 Drew 28 Lost 29 For 144 Against 136 Win% 43 |
| 2016/17 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 13th | Pld 150 Won 62 Drew 34 Lost 54 For 212 Against 216 Win% 41 |
| 2017/18 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 8th  | Pld 201 Won 84 Drew 44 Lost 73 For 274 Against 277 Win% 41 | 

The "park the bus" teams are a real problem.........like you I have trouble building a tactic to break them down.

My teams seem to be leaky defensively and against them I end up upping the mentality and getting killed by PERFECT counterattacks.

Now that's the Cambridge I remember.

Indeed. I am sure there are plenty more seasons like that.

Those frustrating runs in Football Manager where you want to pull your hair out.

Unlucky but hopefully next year it's your season.

We just couldn't get going during April. The right additions during the summer and i think we can get a top six berth at least.

Unlucky Kris :(

Cheers John

The "park the bus" teams are a real problem.........like you I have trouble building a tactic to break them down.

My teams seem to be leaky defensively and against them I end up upping the mentality and getting killed by PERFECT counterattacks.

I am much happier with the way the team are playing, the key for me is patience. I used to be too gun-ho tactically and get stung by counters.

Getting closer Kris.

Another 10 years and the Championship will be ours!

Going to be a tight race to the end of the season. Look forward to finding out how it finishes!

Not how i wanted it too sadly. Story of my life!

1oFD8VY.png

Thats my summer sorted.

D9Z811f.png

Play Off Finalists this term but i have no interest in leaving at the moment.

5g0W5i6.png

Very well deserved. Best player by a mile IMO.

TlJOqVL.png

Excellent news. The first improvement since i joined 4 years ago.

If they're only spending £85k it makes you wonder what the youth facilities were before.

I dread to think!

David Brooks... I've seen that name somewhere before...

Ah yes, the David Brooks, Head of Financial Operations at Sainsburys.

I was thinking of David Brooks... footballing superstar and England record goalscorer that I discovered with Newcastle Town on FM11. :D

Yes. You are right. What a player.

Most DBs are special :)

And modest too!

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League One - Pre Season 2018/19

Expectations from the Board/ My Own

Sky Bet League One: Fight relegation / Top 10 finish

FA Cup: 2nd Round / 3rd Round

League Cup: Not Important / 2nd Round

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Not Important / Regional Semi Final

Transfers

Leaving the club this summer on free transfers were just first team squad members Liam Hughes and Martin Moore.

Three players join the club, one of which on loan.

4SFduaf.png

Timothee Dieng - Spent last year on loan and has signed a two year deal from Oldham.

Ange-Freddy Plumain - Replacement for Hughes comes in from Fulham after spending last year at League Two Exeter on loan.

Sam Byrne - Everton youngster comes in for the season having scored 17 League Two goals for Preston last year.

Results

qp5MB5S.png

Pretty decent set of results as we head into a new season, Crewe away first up.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League One - August 2018/19

lXBatM6.png

Happy enough with that start to the season, a great win at Crewe was followed up by a good draw with Brighton, coming within minutes of winning that one too. Defeat one came at Bolton whose winner came from the spot, no complaints really though as we failed to muster a single effort on target. August ended with three points over Oldham, midfielders Donaldson and Plumain scoring the goals.

DjvjBSz.png

Capital One Cup 1st Round

WV6WdiZ.png

Only keeper Dunn started both the league game at Crewe and this and it showed as League Two Millwall pulled off a shock result with a header just after the break.

Transfers In

Three more additions joined as the transfer window came to a close.

Ryan Mason - Joins on a free after an unsuccessful spell with Championship side Sunderland.

Paul Hutchings - Beat plenty of competition to seal the loan of Hutchings. The Derby man played 16 times in this division for Southend last year and 15 games at League Two Crawley.

Des Hackett - Another sought after player who also played at Southend last year. 10 goals in 33 games wasn't a bad return.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League One - September 2018/19

S3m4Dwu.png

Not the best of months thats started off terribly with a big loss at Brentford. A treble from Stuart Dallas did the damage and in the meantime taking him past his scoring total for last season. Next up was Bradford and we were brilliant from start to finish. Des Hackett took just 30 minutes to score on his full debut then three more strikes after the break gave us the win. Another goal for Hackett followed in the draw with Hartlepool and he was on hand to score another in the 2-1 loss to Hartlepool who won thanks to a good second half countering tactic. A 2nd 4-0 win of the month was next as we hosted Mansfield, Des Hackett scoring his first hat trick for the club. A trip to Yeovil ended the month and we bossed the game for the most part but struggled to really create many good chances, hitting the target with just 1 of our 21 shots.

Sq9XI9Z.png

Three points off 4th placed yet i can't seem to get into this season. Every defeat is really cutting at the moment.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

8SNNEjB.png

A good performance all round from the second string but we fell short from 12 yards, losing out 5-3.

Award

XxXTCya.png

Very well deserved.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League One - October 2018/19

B0JQ8XT.png

Our worst month to date, just a single win from the five games. A late goal from Jason Puncheon gave Northampton a share of the points they hardly deserved and it was much the same story as Southend scored with the only effort they had on target. A trip to leaders Wigan saw us come away with the points after being behind Clough doubled his season scoring tally then centre back Dieng headed the winner with 18 minutes left. We let a 2-0 lead slip at home to Rochdale, the away side striking on 81 and 85 minutes. That disappointment continued as we lost very easily to Notts County despite both goals coming from the penalty spot.

RZw66VG.png

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League One - November 2018/19

plkF0Q9.png

On the back of a disappointing end to October we were hammered by bottom club Gillingham then blew 2-0 leads in both the remaining games, York and Walsall. And you thought that was bad...

x3FKgIo.png

Wait for it...

FA Cup 1st Round

pBbkOiF.png

Knocked out at home to a side below the Conference North/South. Embarrassing.

opsaC1X.png

After the FA Cup defeat i came close to quitting but decided to stick it out another week. Two more games where we blew a 2-0 lead was too much to take and as we slide towards the relegation zone i end my tenure at Abbey Stadium.

0UZGhHc.png

9OpYXkJ.png

As it stands i have no job lined up, lets see what happens.

X8iXawA.png

3rd in League Two, was very tempted but coming just six days after leaving Cambridge was a bit soon.

CHxBYyJ.png

Fast forward to January and my second offer. Bottom of the table and not much doing with the squad. The final downfall is being a 'B' side.

NtjWgQo.png

This was the job i wanted, early February and down in 22nd place in League One. A closer inspection of the squad revealed a terrible bunch of U20 players mixed with a couple of high earning, 33+ 'stars'. With no wage budget to play around with this was a task too far at the moment, shame.

A4W1aT0.png

A point and a place outside the League Two Play Off places, delayed a week as i am awaiting a response from another club. Abroad.

Plymouth isn't a bad job, you would have room to grow the team. The board has high expectations though. It was one of my "stops" on my current career/save.

It is a journeyman save and I'm on about my 8th team in 2036.

Plymouth isn't a bad job, you would have room to grow the team. The board has high expectations though. It was one of my "stops" on my current career/save.

It is a journeyman save and I'm on about my 8th team in 2036.

Plymouth one of a handful of clubs i would have dropped a league for, a big club in waiting is how i view them.

Interesting you left Cambridge, how pleased were the board with you at the time of leaving?

The board loved me, i was 'Untouchable' but with every defeat of the season i was getting more frustrated with myself. I certainly didn't jump before i was pushed. The board only wanted 'avoid relegation'.

I would go for Plymouth job :thup:

Not this time, the next offer was too good to turn down.

Ouch. That was unexpected.

In fairness it has been building up over the last week or so, staying and being so inconsistent was taking its toll on my pleasure in the game.

HjWmycR.png

AS Saint-Étienne

Ligue 1 - March 2018/19

hzbmsJn.png

A club with real history whose recent season has seen the club relegated from Ligue 1 in 2015 then come straight back up as Runners Up, not enough to spare the manager at the time from the chop. 2016/17 saw the club finish 13th then last season 12th.

P4pnZIp.png

Ten games to go and we find ourselves just a place above the dreaded drop zone. In those final matches we do face two of the sides below us, Nantes and Stade Reims both along. Along with those we also host the top two sides, PSG but my first match is at home to Lyon.

Didn't see that one coming :eek: And what a first game in charge :cool:

Me either. Along with Plymouth i had interview offers from Conf. North side Wrexham and from a lowly Spanish side. Then came this offer and one from Verona, bottom of Serie A. Shocked but delighted.

Wow, impressive move.

Good luck :thup:

Thank you. Have the makings of a decent squad and currently have Oliver Giroud on loan from Southampton spearheading the relegation fight.

Disappointed you didn't join Argyle, but what a move! Congratulations :)

It's rare i don't end up at Plymouth during an FM so there is time!

France isn't a bad place to play. Unfortunately PSG and AS Monaco tend to dominate even with AI squad building. You can easily build a competitive team though just don't expect to win every year. Also French World Class players tend to join Foreign clubs due to money issues.

Definitely going to follow this......fallen giant save

Wow, that's quite a leap. Good luck!

It is almost like my reputation rose rejecting offers from clubs while unemployed. I holidayed and was only getting interviews at lowly English clubs and bottom division in Italy and Spain. Then came interview offers from Ligue 1 and Serie A inside a week.

Big step up, good club too. Have you ever managed in France before? It's something I've never done.

I had a save, short lived, last year after my Cambridge FM14 save ended in France. I created a profile following on from me retiring using the details of my favourite player from the save, Jim Woodward. Managed at Rennes and did okay before moving to Dortmund and failing.

France isn't a bad place to play. Unfortunately PSG and AS Monaco tend to dominate even with AI squad building. You can easily build a competitive team though just don't expect to win every year. Also French World Class players tend to join Foreign clubs due to money issues.

Definitely going to follow this......fallen giant save

Would certainly like to build this club up somewhat, hoping for a move to a bigger European side somewhere down the line. Although my saves rarely go to plan so i will probably be sacked inside 6 months!

Tough about Cambridge in the end. It had gone so well at first.

Landed on your feet with Saint-Etienne, though! :eek:

Not exactly landed on my feet - in a relegation battle, £5m in debt, rising quickly and many players either old or on extreme wages for the size of the club. On the plus side i'm in a top league!

Shame you left but you definitely made a good choice with where to go next.

Didn't expect such a leap but i suppose that will happen with the coaching badges addition to the game. Should keep interest in the save though.

HjWmycR.png

AS Saint-Étienne

Ligue 1 - March 2018/19

I8BfStj.png

Thats a strong start. Kicked off life in France with a 1-0 win over rivals Lyon, loanee Giroud scoring the only goal but it was deserved victory for us. Next up we traveled to Montpellier and looked on course for an easy win, two nil up after just 22 minutes but the home side fought back to draw level but the 67th minute. As we were settling for a point up popped winger Hamouma to slide in the winner from a tight angle. The perfect start continued as we saw off Lens with a goal in each half, left back Tabanou with the first and sub Ramos adding the second.

GbYfiqb.png

Picking up 9 points from 3 games i had hoped to be a little further clear of the drop zone, 5 points is still not enough. Nantes, Caen and Marseille are up next month.

HjWmycR.png

AS Saint-Étienne

Ligue 1 - April 2018/19

pfP0BU8.png

A tough month as we lost the one game we really didn't want to lose but what a game it was. Fell behind early to Nantes and in the opening half never really got going. Tweaks at break saw us come out a different side and score twice through a penalty and a long range strike from the other centre midfielder Lejeune. That looked to be enough for the three points but Nantes came back in unbelievable fashion scoring in the 87th, 90th and 93rd minutes to win the game. Ouch. Needed to bounce back and we did so just about seeing off Caen with a single goal from Hamouma then came the trip to Marseille and it was our turn to have a late late show. We were second best throughout, inviting pressure and trying to stop Marseille with ten players behind the ball but two left wing crosses led to two headed goals and game over. Switched my forward line, taking off Giroud and bringing on Ramos and that turned out to be an inspired choice as the latter scored twice in the 89th and 93rd minutes to rescue an undeserved point.

BDSsOp3.png

Three more games gone and still five clear of the drop. PSG up next...

HjWmycR.png

AS Saint-Étienne

Ligue 1 - May 2018/19

jzfriGh.png

Not the strongest of finishes to the season but it was enough. Started with PSG and got what i expected, nothing. Both goals came in the opening period and PSG just killed the game by keeping the ball in the second 45. We then had a trip to bottom club Stade Reims but another lacklustre show saw us fail to score or even really come close to it. Played much better all round when beating Bastia then travelled to lowly Troyes who knew only a win would ensure they stayed in the division. A bore draw was played out, i think we just about shaded it. Now for a busy summer.

CnptcK1.png

Well clear i the end but failure to perform in the away games this month has cost us a possible 10th placed finish.

Archived