FMC15 Save Updates Thread

A taste of things to come?

I saw the player ratings and thought they were great for a team beaten 4-0 without having a shot on target, then I realised, getting confused with which team you had, mixing it up with BoxToBox..:o

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Søk her: Apply here

Turns out it's not the chairman position. I don't really know how to translate "sportssjef"... "Sports" means, yeah, sports, and "sjef" is manager. But it's not the head coach/manager position, I think the "sportssjef" is the guy above the manager..or something.

Hmm. I can win this league! I'm Instant Resulting, but changing tactic before each match based on the AI shape, and it is reaping rewards thus far:

screen-shot-2015-03-05-at-22-03-57.png

screen-shot-2015-03-05-at-22-04-22.png

Just won 2-0 at the league leaders by targeting the middle in what looked like an overly defensive 4-4-2 DM from Molde.

Players are leaving :(

Ulvestad will join Bastia. Peter Orry Larsen (valued at £235k) has joined Wigan for a fee which will be just short of £600k in the long run. We have £1.1m in the bank, and an untouched £307k transfer budget to play with. Currently 4th, and 4 points off top spot with 22 games played.

Started in January 2015 - I have gone for Tromsø IL :D Board wants mid table finish, just sold Ondrášek for 165K to some team from Qatar. Decided to go for 4-2-3-1 narrow with the players at the club.

I'm really pleased with things so far. I'm using Quick Pick and Instant Result, and have more or less settled on the system below, having originally intended to go with a Juventus style 5-3-2. However, the prevalence of 4-4-2s makes me want to dominate the middle, and it's working so far.

screen-shot-2015-03-05-at-22-43-24.png

screen-shot-2015-03-05-at-22-43-34.png

Wanted to go to bed, but there are just five games left......

25182aee321c7112a15e6c944b21266d.png

Pretty excellent first month. Bad form taking a lower league team to penos though! Excitingly(for me), I'm doing it with a defensive/possession system, things I've struggled with vastly this year. Cleon's thread pushed me to try again, and helped with knowledge too, of course.

What's weird is that I want to play that way in FM, as in real life I'm a fan of direct/aggressive attacking play.

Last night I stopped, because of Start :)

I've only got about three games to go (including the cup final) but went to bed last night as I didn't instinctively know how to line up against Start; sleeping on it hasn't helped! They use a flat 4-5-1 too, we're playing at their place and they're fifth. It's tempting to go to an unusual 3-1-4-1-1, in fact, that's what I'll do. Just need to remember that!

Very stop start, eh?

I'd also consider dropping 2 mids, and pushing one up, for a 4-2(dm)-2(mr/l)-1(am)-1(st). It's still basically 4-5-1, or a 4-2-3-1, but you may dictate things better as you're playing between their lines.

I'm torn between a 3-3-2-1-1 and a 3-1-4-1-1. I'm reluctant to go with the second option so might give the first a shot. I'm going to operate along the same lines as you and go for something which holds the ball and counters like mad.

The 3-3-2-1-1, is that 3 at the back, wingbacks, a diamond midfield and single striker?

The 3-3-2-1-1, is that 3 at the back, wingbacks, a diamond midfield and single striker?

Yes. I had a 3-3-2-2 working really well when the game first came out, so it will end up being based on that. I'm aiming to take the general concept from Cleon's thread, but am not sure how well I'll do with what is a very different defensive shape to his flat 3-4-3. Should be a decent challenge.

I'm quite happy if this experimentation cocks up the end of my season, because I know that I started with almost half the season gone, and have hauled us into contention from 10 points adrift. I would expect to win the league by a good 8-12 points with a full season in charge, if the way season one has gone is anything to go by. I'll obviously ditch the Instant Result approach whilst bedding the new tactics in.

Yes. I had a 3-3-2-2 working really well when the game first came out, so it will end up being based on that. I'm aiming to take the general concept from Cleon's thread, but am not sure how well I'll do with what is a very different defensive shape to his flat 3-4-3. Should be a decent challenge.

I'm quite happy if this experimentation cocks up the end of my season, because I know that I started with almost half the season gone, and have hauled us into contention from 10 points adrift. I would expect to win the league by a good 8-12 points with a full season in charge, if the way season one has gone is anything to go by. I'll obviously ditch the Instant Result approach whilst bedding the new tactics in.

Sounds like an interesting idea, with that many in the middle you should dominate most teams.

Sounds like an interesting idea, with that many in the middle you should dominate most teams.

That's the main plan, but I need to make sure I get enough men forward and into the right areas at the right times. On FM13 I was Spurs for a number of seasons and flicked between a few strikerless systems based solely on the shape of the AI with the aim of dominating the middle, and I may replicate that again in time:

https://whenseagullsfollowthetrawler.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/controlling-midfield/

• Administrators

My time in Asia is coming to an end.

After the single season at Guangzhou, I managed to win the K-League and ACL with Pohang after bringing in 2 ex-players of mine from NYCFC for £1M+ fees (one was £2.5M, a club record), and a Chilean international for a bargain £375k (I'm manager of Chile). Had a scare in the ACL final, having to come back from behind to beat Sydney who were ridiculously strong. Didn't fare well in the World Club Cup either, Gabriel Barbosa at 33 years old destroying my side in a 5-0 defeat. We finished 3rd in the end after beating Cruz Azul. League was comfortable in the end, with only Suwon really challenging me. Of those three signings, the record signing of £2.5Million went on to become ACL MVP and Fans Player of the Year. All 3 are now attracting interest from Europe.

Into the last year of my 2 year contract with Pohang, and managed to pick up another ex-player (target man) of mine (again from NYCFC) who I've been tracking since I moved to Asia. New York let him go for free, so I'm delighted as he's exactly what my team needed. We're unbeaten halfway through the season and still in all competitions though I'm expecting us to lose sooner or later. Clear in the league by some distance already but I'm hoping to at least win the Korean FA Cup after I was knocked out by a University side on penalties last season :D

Meanwhile, in South Africa, Orlando Pirates imploded at the end of their season, losing the Cup final to the Chiefs and missing out on the African Champions League. They've sacked their manager so I've applied and agreed (delayed) to take over at the end of the season. Should be in Africa for a few seasons as it looks like it'll be a building job to do.

My former clubs:

Guangzhou won the league the season after I left but have struggled this season, in 8th place at the minute and in financial difficulties (I have my part to blame in that :o).

NYCFC won the MLS Cup again the season after I left for Guangzhou too, but then lost in the Conference Playoff Semi Finals.

Cruziero continue to dominate Brazil, winning the league every year but 1 since I left (6 seasons now), won Libertadores & Club World Cup once, and runners up in Libertadores.

Colo Colo still going strong too but are now the 2nd biggest team in Chile, some domestic success but nothing continental wise.

Same story for my first club Santiago Morning too who I started in the second division in Chile with, they have since built a new stadium and are now the third biggest team in Chile

Chile National Team:

14 games played in the 2030 World Cup Qualifying Campaign and just outside the playoff and automatic qualification spots. It's really competitive, games can easily be won or lost so I've no idea if I make it (I hope so).

USA:

Reached the second round of the 2026 WC after I left them before the tournament for the Chile job (I had been at USA for nearly 7 years). They've won the Gold Cup, but since done badly in the Confederations Cup but look certain to go to the 2030 World Cup (hope I get to join them).

Cracking stuff Lucas :thup: Good luck with Orlando Pirates.

Any aspirations of the sort of club you aim for when you complete the African leg of the challenge? I wonder how high your reputation will be - sufficiently high to attract big clubs? If it was, would you even want to start that high, or would you look to build a club up? I guess that this far down the line, there should be some fallen giants in Europe.

• Administrators
Cracking stuff Lucas :thup: Good luck with Orlando Pirates.

Any aspirations of the sort of club you aim for when you complete the African leg of the challenge? I wonder how high your reputation will be - sufficiently high to attract big clubs? If it was, would you even want to start that high, or would you look to build a club up? I guess that this far down the line, there should be some fallen giants in Europe.

If I manage to get a big job in Europe (I'm thinking anybody with a World Class youth setup), I'll be there for a season and get my son into the youth team so he has the best chances to develop. If not, then I'm looking at a International Management only career for a bit until the Port Vale job comes along, that's where I'm going to eventually settle.

I get attached to my players, by moving to South Africa I'll most likely be giving up any chance of taking former players with me. Had quite the habit of taking players with me as I move clubs, the 3 ex-NYCFC players I signed for Pohang all played for another one of my former clubs. One of them is an Egyptian right back so hopefully I can tempt him to African Champions League football when I get there to wind down his career. There are quite a few others still knocking around in this save that have played for me at 2 clubs or more.

As for leagues loaded, I currently have:

Brazil, Chile, China*, England, France, Germany**, Italy, Singapore*, South Africa, South Korea, Spain and USA loaded. Just to give you an idea of where I might end up.

*these leagues are being removed in 2030.

**Germany is being added for 2030/2031 season.

Great stuff Lucas!

Cheers :)

Just after having a slighty crazy game.

9th game of the season, against Bodo/Glimt, 6 pointer, whoever wins, leads the league. Problem, 3 of my 4 starting defenders are out injured. Grand, went for it, and picked up an early lead. Defend well, and some ****** DM of theirs decides now is his time for his first goal, and lashed a thunderhammer in from 30 yards on 33 minutes.

Half time I switch two players as they're playing awful, and on the 65th my LB who's getting skinned over and over. 67mins and one of the HT subs is down after a challenge, and I have to play the rest with 10 men. Somehow, in the 91st minute, score off a corner, and manage to defend out.

After the match turns out my sub, on of my better mids and a top young prospect is after tearing his calf.

What's weird is, beside Molde, the two teams battling for the title, us(Stabaek) and Bolo/Glimt are both promoted sides.

Gave FM15 a miss for a few days whilst I caught up on my long term CM 03/04 game. :D Got back into my Spurs game today though and played a couple of months into 2015/16. The big clubs who seemed to struggle last season (Arsenal and Man City iirc) seem to have sorted themselves out so it is going to be really tough to finish in a Champions League spot, never mind repeat last years runners up finish. We had a difficult start to the season with away games at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge in the first month or so but we are currently fifth and have an easier run of games to look forward to.

Our defence of the Capital One Cup lasted one round with a shambolic exit at Doncaster though, something which really infuriated me, I felt like chucking my laptop on the fire afterwards.

Our Champions League group contains Barcelona, Zenit and RB Salzburg. Barcelona beat us 3-1 at the Nou Camp in our opening game, a defeat I expected tbf. I never expected however, to be 1-0 down to Salzburg at WHL after only 2 minutes. Thankfully Dembele scored a pile driver on the stroke of half time before a Harry Kane brace in the second half completed the comeback. Ahead of our trip to Russia for the vital game against Zenit we lost Lamela for three months when he suffered a torn calf in training.

I knew if we could beat Zenit away then it would put us in the driving seat to finish in second place in the group, I rested Kane and gave a start to Summer signing Leo Bapistao and the young Brazilian gave us a lead after just 13 minutes. We saw the game out to win 1-0 despite losing Eriksen and Townsend to injury in the second half. I cannot wait for the game against Barcelona at WHL though, hopefully we can put on a show and nick a win.

Sad days in Stabaek....

d568f84214ab6563f71198ef17df5b9b.png

Finances were bad, couldn't say no to that kind of coin.

Have a decent looking German keeper coming in on a free, when the next transfer window opens, Hopefully my defensive tactic will mean my 2nd choice keeper can hold the fort down for 3 games.

PKWLFz.jpg

Season 5 - 2019/2020

VANARAMA CONFERENCE SOUTH PLAY-OFFS

Another 4th place finish and another crack at the play-offs.

lN2bF7.jpg

RI4i3t.jpg

Honours even as we concede yet another late goal.

dCQ2Yo.jpg

It was a tough close battle........until extra-time anyway. :(

Welling also had 2 goals disallowed in extra-time.

Full season update HERE

BoxToBox - that is some proper cash! You'll be able to reinforce nicely.

Maw74 - not again :(

Have just started for the night and boshed Start 4-2 at their place with a tactic which ultimately isn't defensive at all :) I don't see Molde dropping any points (though they are away to Start in the last game), so we should finish second and then face Tromso who are top of the first division in the cup final.

Did it :)

A nasty win with the most horrible statistical shambles of a game saw us clinch three points whilst Start stopped Molde!

screen-shot-2015-03-06-at-20-25-41.png

screen-shot-2015-03-06-at-20-25-53.png

All after taking over with 13 of the 30 game season done with, and the team languishing in 13th, 10 points off the top. We have won 18 out of 20 matches under my tenure (1 cup game).

screen-shot-2015-03-06-at-20-26-10.png

Cup final next, and then thoughts of next season with our princely £521k transfer budget. Winning the title (as far as I can tell Aalesund have never finished in the top three) netted £1.82m and we have just shy of £2.7m in the bank.

Sneaked through the cup final on penalties :o against promoted Tromso. Now have £3m+ in the bank as the cup win yielded almost a third of the league prize money (£579k). No matches for four months now, so need to decide whether to stick or twist. Being me, I think I'll probably twist.

EDIT - I will be twisting :( My autosave kicked in and for some reason I chose to delete the file I created before I quit to try and get the Metalist job in the Ukraine. My only save is therefore after quitting Aalesund :rolleyes: #Idiot

Awww damn it Maw! Incredible!

One of these seasons you're gonna smash them all!

BoxToBox - that is some proper cash! You'll be able to reinforce nicely.

I got very little of it. as I only get 35% of transfers, and 850k of it is over 12 months. Still, in the window and have 500k now, though I need to shift some to wages.

Picked up some nice/decent freebies. One is an English regen who I found a week after the English intake, clubless, and he looks like he could be a real nice striker. He's already my best finisher! Also, 6'6 from Stoke-on-Trent....

Shame you messed up the save, that was going really well!

• Administrators

Well, I've had an interesting final season with Pohang. We did manage to come away with everything in Korea, even though everything nearly derailed after quite a few losses in the second half of the season. Got "lucky" this time with the Club World Cup draw in that we faced a South American side this time. The result was actually worse, I lost 6-1 :( During the season it wasn't just my squad getting interest and offers from Europe, but me as well which was tempting. I had offers from Everton, Monaco, Villarreal, Fiorentina. Orlando Pirates didn't actually go through in the end, with all the tempting offers and heading into a World Cup year I changed my mind, resigned from Pohang at the end of 2029 and went on a long holiday while listening for offers.

Unfortunately none of the other big South African sides were looking for a manager at the end of their season, so I was left looking at Europe. Spain failed in the World Cup, losing in the second round on penalties to Belgium. Barcelona manager Roberto Martinez took the Spain job and left Barcelona. Juventus manager also took up Italy, and Lyon's manager to France. I applied for all three and Barcelona were the first ones back. Signed a 4 year deal, so will use the next 4 seasons to just have fun in Spain and generate my son at some point to take advantage of Barcelona's youth coaching and facilities. So Africa will be the last leg of my Pentagon challenge now :thup:

• Administrators

Yeah they were already in the running for the league doing better without a manager than with one the previous season, and it just didn't feel right to waltz in there mid-season. Probably should have left them earlier on when the job came up, but I'm not complaining now. Barcelona is exactly the club I had in mind for my "son", who I'll generate once I've completed this leg of the Pentagon. Will be looking at South Africa again once time in Barcelona is up.

• Administrators
That's quite a jump in standard Lucas! Will be a culture shock now, and then when you move to Africa afterwards. Presumably they have a ludicrous bank balance?

£172 Million war chest, and I'm just in the middle of shortlisting the players I want to bring to the club, which are players from the Cruzeiro all conquering sides of 2023-2024 (the team I built). One of them is already at Barcelona, and the oldest of that squad is 29, some as young as 24 and most of them scattered about Europe. Looking at poaching a player or two from Pohang as well as backup.

Just checking my 2nd team, despite being slower, that 16 year old English kid needs to be in the first team, he's better than either of my first team players..... "The next Les Ferdinand."

Gonna have to chuck one in the winter to make space....

God knows what I'm going to do tonight. New save required. I started a throwaway one with Real Madrid last night as I can't remember ever being them before. Just decided to be them to test an odd 3-1-3-3, which has since become a 3-1-5-1.

Oh! When I played Aalesund, they ended up with that same 3-3-2-1-1 formation you were experimenting with! Only team I couldn't dominate possession against, think it was like 51/49% in my favour at FT.

Can't get into my Tromso save :( Gonna start a new save, but might give Russia or France a go. Might start with either Anzhi Makhachkala or Racing Lens,

Any advice?

EDIT: Gone for Lens :cool: Hopefully I can stick with this.

Archived