You don't win anything with ki... er, old people

Looking through the expiring contracts on FM looking for a bargain or two, I managed to pick up a whole XI of players right at the end of their careers all on free transfers. All of them are aged 34+ and for a laugh they are going to be my starting XI for next season! Going to be interesting how well they do!

Untitled_zps0e5f20ba.png

Good luck with that. I've never been convinced that FM isn't 99% bias towards pace/physical stats. A team full of Valderrama's could be very interesting indeed.

I'm not sure about FM2009, but for FM2014 at least things feel more normalized. Quicker players are obviously still quicker, but not to the extent that they blow away everyone in their wake.

I wonder if a greater emphasis has been placed on hidden mental attributes too as, and this is subjective, older players seem more consistent and in my experience, teams without experience seem more prone to collapses.

I'm not sure about FM2009, but for FM2014 at least things feel more normalized. Quicker players are obviously still quicker, but not to the extent that they blow away everyone in their wake.

I wonder if a greater emphasis has been placed on hidden mental attributes too as, and this is subjective, older players seem more consistent and in my experience, teams without experience seem more prone to collapses.

Yeah definitely. In my current save I have a guaranteed 25-30 goals/season striker in Conference Premier with acceleration 8 and pace 9 whereas my defenders with similar quickness attributes rarely struggle with pace. There's much more emphasis on movement and technique these days, at least it feels like that to me.

FM09 is, unfortunately, very heavily geared towards Physical Stats. Which is what will make this experiment quite fun and challenging! I've recently been playing 40 year old Michael Carrick alongside a 39 year old Xabi Alonso in a 4-2-3-1 formation and they still did relatively well when they could stay fit. So I have some hope for most of the team. It's the strikers that worry me the most as am going to be reliant on long shots more that usual.

Varying levels of ability from the looks of things, some are still playing top flight stuff, others have been rotting away.

Most still have good technical and/or mental stats - they're all damn slow though!

Rooney, David Silva and Ronaldo are also all available, but at the moment they don't want to join me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived