[FM11] Forever Blue: The East Anglian Supremacy

deltablue

Merry Christmas everyone.

After a short and unhappy experience on FM 14, I have returned to my favourite version, FM 11. I’m going to be doing something a little different this time. For the past few years I’ve started with Sunday League rep at a bottom division club and done a lot of journeyman-ing in a slow and painful path to the top. Not this time. Mikenevo and b101’s careers have opened up the possibility of a multi-manager ‘rivals’ career, often tough work (I’ve spiced up games in the past by adding in other managers representing friends, but even just doing transfers and a pre-season tournament I always felt it was too much bother after a while) but it still can work. After a bit of testing I’m satisfied that both managers can be strong, even if there might be a bit of inconsistency with each side taking it in turns to hit form.

In order to maximize the ‘rivalry’ angle, me and my ‘rival’ will be managing specific clubs, not just any clubs either, Ipswich and Norwich. FM11 is especially good for this as 2010-11 was the only season since 2009 with both teams in the same division, as they shot up from League 1 to the Premier League, making them the clearly superior club for probably years to come, while we hit the low point of years of on-going mediocrity. It’s fair to say I’m going to make sure we’re not left behind this time. This will allow me to hopefully re-create what was easily the best part of my last ‘proper’ career, where entirely under AI control, Norwich grew to be one of the strongest sides in the country from fairly early on, which was annoying for a while when I went up with Ipswich as we got battered every time, but once we became strong ourselves it led to an epic long-term competitive rivalry, which took in title-races, cup finals and even a CL tie.

As it happens, both sides have fairly similar starts in terms of expectations, budgets, and squad strength. They have the better depth, especially in defence, but also with Surman and the on-loan Lansbury in midfield, and Hoolahan and Grant Holt up front. We have Fulop in goal (admittedly with his counterpart Ruddy being pretty much his equal), McAuley in defence, Bullard (though only on-loan for this season, as it wasn’t until the following year that we got him permanently) in midfield, and the 17yr old Wickham up front, at the point where he was probably rated highest, along with others like Scotland, Leadbitter, Edwards and Delaney that make for what looks like a good Championship squad to me, capable of far better than we’ve been doing in real-life under the incompetents that were Keane and Jewell, even if the league standard this year is probably higher than I’m sometimes used to it being.

To add something a little extra, once a club has been in the Premier League for 3 years the ‘Delta’s Darlings’ rule will kick in, meaning only signing players 20 or under. This makes perfect sense in terms of building a very strong side while also being financially sustainable for relatively small clubs, and also means both clubs will be eventually have top-class long-term squads, and will be competing with a rival pulling off the same policy to get ahead of the game, a clash of the ‘Darlings’ as it were. Hopefully there’ll be more than enough talent for two teams and the quality won’t be diluted too much.

Let the East Anglian battle begin…

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler]
[font=monospace] 

Deltablue
2010-11, Ipswich, Championship, 22nd, sacked in March
2011-12, Senica, Slovak Division 1, 12th, arrived in October, relegated 
2012-13, Senica, Slovak Division 2, resigned in August.
2012-13, Sheffield Utd, Championship, 16th, arrived in October.
2013-14, Sheffield Utd, Championship, 5th, playoff finalists.
2014-15, Sheffield Utd, Championship, 21st, sacked in Sept.
2014-15, Wolves, Championship, 3rd arrived in Oct, playoff semi-finalists.

Deltayellow
2010-11, Norwich, Championship, 10th.
2011-12, Norwich, Championship, 11th.
2012-13, Norwich, Championship, 13th.
2013-14, Norwich, Championship, 19th, sacked in October
2013-14, Lech, Ekstraklasa, arrived in October., 1st, double winners!
2014-15, Lech, Ekstraklasa, 1st. 

Trophy Cabinet

Yellow:
Lech
Polish Cup: 1 (2014)
Ekstraklasa: 2 (2014, 2015)
Polish Super Cup: 2 (2014, 2015)

Derby Record
Played: 5, Yellow: 2, Draw: 1, Blue: 1, GD: Yellow +1

[/font]

[/spoiler]

Best of luck with East Anglia, hopefully you can topple the 2 Manchester teams in the future! I too have been wanting to go back to FM11 but I wasn't sure how well it would be received so I'll most definitely be following :)

Thanks, that's a long way off though, and usually they're both insanely tough challengers, or at least one of them is alongside another club (often Arsenal). It'll e a monumental challenge for either side to join he ranks of the big boys, let alone both.

ips10_zpsb3c04b6b.jpg

nor10_zps52dada52.jpg

(Subtle :D)

Summer 2010

Both clubs started out with a little over 10kpw spare in the wage budget, though Ipswich’s was about twice as large, 170kpw compared to 84kpw, and while it’s forgivable for Bullard and Fulop, seeing Martin, Norris, and to a lesser extent Edwards (who’s good but not that good) on at least 10kpw is rather depressing. In terms of transfer budgets Norwich had 2M to Ipswich’s 1.5M, though I had a good idea of who I wanted to get rid of to raise money and release wage space at Ipswich, though not so much for Norwich. The decent quality of both squads meant that at both clubs it would be a case of quality over quantity.

Both clubs would have different focus. I would be going for my Mattersburg tactic (never mind that it was devised on the very different match engine that FM13 had) so needed to focus on defence to have the depth to cope with playing a flat back 5, and especially could do with strengthening on the right, while it would be a ‘modern’ 4-5-1/4-3-3 for Norwich, and the midfield (especially the wings as I realized that Lansbury and Hoolahan were only ‘competent’ and not ‘proper’ wingers as I thought they were) would be the priority, though and extra defender wouldn’t hurt. They found their answers in youth, and got a few good deals, while unusually for me I decided it was worth splashing out on ‘current ability’ for Ipswich to make sure we strengthened as much as possible where we needed it right away.

Expectations for both teams were ‘mid-table’ but I felt we were better than that, even if the competition for a serious promotion push was probably going to be a bit too tough.

Ipswich signings

Kah_zpsc3cd1161.jpg

Karaboue_zps1ac7b9c2.jpg

Jonsson_zps2f2d91e4.jpg

Ipstrans10_zps330c41db.jpg

Norwich signings

Cramer_zps88727b5b.jpg

Ayasse_zps0722f68b.jpg

McLean_zps33601c60.jpg

NGanga_zpsb899b182.jpg

nortrans10_zps5faa28ef.jpg

It all looks a bit weird going back three editions, but I'm sure this will work out better for you. Good luck!

I know, yet again I'm having to adjust to a different layout and stuff, and I remember seeing a couple of the CM00/01 careers we had recently and how different that looked, but it worked out well before and since we can play any version we like I think this is for me the most ideal version. There are a few things from later versions that it's odd doing without (like having the 'i' icon to see player's stats without clicking on them) but there is still a decent list of things I like over later versions, even if some of them may seem pretty small.

Deltayellow? Wouldn't Zetayellow or something sound better? :p

Not really, it's rather complicated to explain but I'm 'deltablue' for a reason and it fits in with the theme to have the same but 'yellow' as a Norwich counterpart.

Not really, it's rather complicated to explain but I'm 'deltablue' for a reason and it fits in with the theme to have the same but 'yellow' as a Norwich counterpart.

It makes it look like Pokémon invaded FM11...

Definitely like the concept and I really enjoyed the Ipswich/Norwich rivalry in your FM13 career - one question though: with myself and mikenevo's, there's no preference for any of the sides, how will you find trying to manage 'fairly'? Badly worded, but I'm sure you get what I mean - either way, it's great to have you back :D

Glad our careers inspired you to do this :) It's mainly down to B101 though as he inspired me lol! Will be following and I don't think the fact that it's on an earlier FM version matters one bit.

Well hopefully it'll work out fine just like with you guys.

The parents must have been pissed when naming those two.

I'd say so :D

It makes it look like Pokémon invaded FM11...

Definitely like the concept and I really enjoyed the Ipswich/Norwich rivalry in your FM13 career - one question though: with myself and mikenevo's, there's no preference for any of the sides, how will you find trying to manage 'fairly'? Badly worded, but I'm sure you get what I mean - either way, it's great to have you back :D

Very good question, and one I was pondering myself right up until starting the save up, which is why it wasn't covered in the OP like it probably should have. Well this still be slightly different as Ipswich will be the main 'protagonists' (much like I sometimes see Prochazka as the 'hero' of yours as your pre-existing manager profile), and the team whose matches will be featured in updating (Norwich's will all be holidayed, aside from Derbies, but that's the only difference in how I manage the two and I'll still be mentioning how their games went and covering their fortunes in general) with Norwich as a rival I simply happen to be controlling and often featuring as well.

This isn't going to be written from the neutral perspective as Ipswich very much are 'we' (though sometimes that refers to both teams together) and it's obvious enough that I was never going to hide that, and some people will have probably suspected that anyway. Hopefully it's something that won't spoil it for some people. There's still a competing 'multi-manager' aspect as both managers will have their own trophy cabinets, seasonal records (just as my careers usually have in the spoilered post) and head-to-head records rather than the Norwich manager simply being a 'plot device'.

As for dealing with them both fairly, it helped that both teams had different priorities (helped by playing different systems) so even though the list of potential signings was pretty much the same (later on maybe one team will be doing better and have access to players the other can't anyway) there was no conflict for the same player, and that will help a lot in the future, as well as various other factors including budgets meaning it would be impossible to get all the best players anyway, the fact that when I started making a move for Ipswich I also made sure I was doing some activity for Norwich as well so it's not like 'Ipswich get first choice of signings each year', and players will turn up on different club's radars at different times during the long scouting process and if I decide a player is worth going for, who has popped up in Norwich's inbox then they're the ones who get him, simple really. The exception would be if one club needs a particular player more (which will be a fairly rare occurrence I think) but I'd be happy for that to work both ways and the differing priorities mean the club missing out would do better using their budgets in other ways anyway.

Sorry if that's a bit complicated just so you know that while there isn't a clear strategy, there are many factors in play that make it easier to play impartially than you think, plus I'm pretty good at looking at things in an even-handed and fair-minded way and even if it wasn't in my interests to do my best to make Norwich strong as well as Ipswich, playing through as Norwich in the same way as I do Ipswich so far has been second-nature really, and for me rivals have pretty much always been teams to enjoy competing with (and hopefully beating :D) rather than the 'hated enemy'.

Pretty much how I figured you'd do it - this should be good :D

Well we'll see how things turn out.

Aug 2010

Crystal Palace 1-0 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 2-0 Watford (CH)

The season kicked off at Crystal Palace, with McAuley and Wickham out injured, and Jonsson not quite arrived yet, leaving us far from full-strength. The first-half was pretty much one-way traffic and they took the lead from a Fulop own-goal of all things in the 28th minute. I was glad that was as bad as it got but there wasn’t much chance of getting anything. Norwich had a rather more comfortable start with a 2-0 win against Watford.

Torquay 0-4 Ipswich (LC)

Norwich 3-0 Macclesfield (LC)

We went to Torquay in the League cup, still unable to play Jonsson (who had arrived the day after Crystal Palace but was on internationals duty) but at least Wickham was returning to fitness and would soon be able to play again. It was a good opportunity to get the ball rolling with a strong win and we very much took it. It took a lot of chances but in the 33rd minute, Karaboue gave us the lead, soon setting up Scotland for another. A late Priskin brace sealed an excellent performance, even considering the low quality of the opposition. Sadly the Hungarian would be out for a few weeks, and Kah would also miss the next game with injury. Norwich were just as commanding in their easy tie, a 3-0 win over Macclesfield. Interestingly we each got the Welsh sides in the next round, Swansea for us and Cardiff for Norwich.

Ipswich 0-1 Coventry (CH)

Millwall 0-1 Norwich (CH)

We still couldn’t catch a break in the league against Coventry, going behind in the 8th minute. We put on a far better show than at Palace but still couldn’t quite equalize, not helped by Scotland being the only available forward. Already a large gap was opening up with Norwich grabbing a win at Millwall through a penalty.

Barnsley 0-4 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 2-4 Leicester (CH)

We were in trouble if we couldn’t pick up a few wins soon, so I was very relieved when Bullard gave us the lead with a sweet strike in the 28th minute of a hard-fought first-half at Barnsley. We pushed on early in the second half with a Bullard free-kick and an O’Dea header, and even though they had plenty of fight in them, Karaboue finished them off with 10 minutes left. Norwich were against Leicester and went, 2-0, than 4-1 down at the break, losing 4-2 to drop points for the first time this season.

Ipswich 0-0p Swansea (LC)

Cardiff 0-1 Norwich (LC)

Unfortunately Scotland became the latest injury I could really do without leaving us having to play Priskin (still far from fit after his injury but still in better condition than Wickham) as our front-man against Swansea in the League Cup. They were nowhere near as strong as I expected and they only started getting momentum after Leadbitter was sent off after half an hour. They still couldn’t find a way past the excellent Fulop so it went to penalties. Our first from Jonsson was saved, and unfortunately they made no mistake with any of theirs to go through. Seeing Jonsson, Edwards and Bullard on the injury-list just made things more depressing. Norwich had a rather more straightforward time, beating Cardiff in Wales with a Hoolihan goal just before the break.

Ipswich 1-0 Middlesbrough (CH)

Cardiff 1-1 Norwich (CH)

A much-weakened side played Middlesbrough, and while not completely outmatched, it soon turned into a survival mission, and one we failed when Boyd gave them a 76th minute winner. Norwich were at Cardiff again, a surrendered the lead from an own-goal to only draw 1-1.

Sept 2010

Portsmouth 1-1 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 1-0 Burnley (CH)

A trip to Portsmouth was a decent chance of getting something. Things didn’t look great as Wickham went off injured, and they started piling on the pressure. They took the lead from a penalty in the 48th minute and with the defence looking like they hadn’t bothered to turn up I was staggered they didn’t get more, which proved to be costly for them as Priskin gave us a 78th minute equalizer and a point I was relieved to have salvaged. Norwich had played the previous day and only snatched a 1-0 win over Burnley with a goal deep in stoppage time.

Ipswich 3-0 Derby (CH)

Bristol City 1-1 Norwich (CH)

The international break allowed us time to get Scotland back to play Derby, and even though he didn’t score, his return and the rest everyone else got made a clear difference as we looked a vastly different side to the one who had struggled to spark in the last few games. Priskin gave us the lead after 10 minutes, soon followed by Bullard despite a spell of intense pressure from Derby in between. O’Dea pretty much sealed a 3-0 win at the start of the second-half, which was admittedly harsh on Derby as they had some very strong attacking spells and Fulop was man of the match. Norwich had gone to Bristol City and went ahead after 15 minutes but had to settle for a point after the Bristolians equalized before the half-hour mark.

Sheff Utd 1-4 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 1-0 Preston (CH)

Leadbitter was the latest returning player, at Sheffield United, and again we looked good. Priskin and Scotland each scored to give us a 2-0 lead after 12 minutes, though again a comfortable lead hid the fact that there had been plenty of traffic in the other direction. They did score on the hour mark but only after Karaboue had made it 3-0, and we even got a 4th from O’Dea as we climbed into the top-half. Norwich beat Preston 1-0 with a first-half goal.

Ipswich 2-3 QPR (CH)

Leeds 0-1 Norwich (CH)

QPR were front-runners as you’d expect. Not for the first time this season we went behind to a controversial penalty, and again just after Brown equalized. We weren’t having a great day all across the field, Priskin being a major offender and missing chances to equalize. A Bullard shot was deflected in in the 69th minute but we couldn’t hold on for a point as they got a winner (giving them 6 league wins in a row) with 10 minutes left. Norwich again got a 1-0 win, at Leeds this time.

Norwich 1-4 Fulham (LC)

Swansea 2-0 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 1-1 Hull (CH)

Our mini-revival seemed to be over and we went behind at Swansea in the 14th minute. Then we had goals disallowed from both Priskin and Karaboue, which was an outrage, and when Swansea got a late second it barely seemed to matter. Norwich had been hammered 4-1 by Fulham in the league cup in mid-week and went behind early on, rescuing a point just before half-time.

Ipswich 0-0 Scunthorpe (CH)

Nottingham Forest 1-0 Norwich (CH)

I hoped we could get a win again against Scunthorpe but Priskin had an early goal disallowed (he must wonder why he bothers) which would have made a big difference in a tight first-half. We sorely lacked a finishing touch and had to settle for a 0-0 I wasn’t happy with. Norwich faced a tough trip to Forest and were outplayed, going down 1-0 and knocked out of the play-off places.

sept10_zps81baa245.jpg

Rather differing fortunes at both clubs. Norwich have been unspectacular but consistent, with a bunch of 1-0's and 1-1's, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were at least in the playoff mix at the end of the season. Ipswich on the other hand... It didn't help that we were far from full-strength for the first month or so of the season, and the narrow margin of defeats (though admittedly not all of them deserved to look so close) suggest that we could have had a few more points. Things improved once we were able to get our act together after the international break, but after two spectacular wins we ran into a very tough QPR match and luck was against us in the two following matches, though we still looked better than we often were before Derby so it wasn't all bad and the potential is very much there when things click, in fact we actually have the better goal-difference, so good have we been on our day but they haven't come as often as they should so far. Fixture-wise, it should be noted that Norwich have played 4 of the bottom 5 (compared to one for Ipswich) but that's been balanced out by also having played 4 of the top 6 (compared to three for Ipswich).

Posavec_zps5bddb334.jpg

A free-agent for Ipswich (admittedly I've been very bad at noticing those in my bid to just get through the game and maybe I should pay more attention so there might be one or two good for Norwich as well), while we already have the superior Bullard as an advanced playmaker, he's a) infamously injury prone and b) only on loan for a year and I felt he'd make a far stronger alternative than the other midfielders, which over the course of the season may help quite a bit even before Bullard goes.

This is an interesting idea especially after seeing the rivalry Ipswich and Norwich had in your FM13 career. I'm glad you cleared up how you would be approaching each team because obviously you being an Ipswich supporter there is a temptation for biasness :D I know I couldn't be City, Leeds or Liverpool without the temptation to bankrupt and relegate them :D Anyway, i'll be following this like always :thup:

This is an interesting idea especially after seeing the rivalry Ipswich and Norwich had in your FM13 career. I'm glad you cleared up how you would be approaching each team because obviously you being an Ipswich supporter there is a temptation for biasness :D I know I couldn't be City, Leeds or Liverpool without the temptation to bankrupt and relegate them :D Anyway, i'll be following this like always :thup:

I'd be too professional to do that which is why I avoid my least-favourite clubs altogether. There'd really be no point doing this if I wasn't going to play fair.

Do you still have the hyped up version of Wickham at Ipswich?

Yep, at his most hyped I think this year, his last at the club in real life, though his impact has been limited so far. In fact in one of my test saves (done to ensure that when running multiple managers it wouldn't have one doing well and the other badly like in previous versions) he very quickly ended up at Chelsea.

Fantastic to see you back delta, bring on the Canaries v Tractor Boys battle!

Thanks, it's less than epic at the moment though give it a decade or two.

Oct 2010

Reading 5-0 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 0-1 Doncaster (CH)

We had a nightmare at Reading, going 3-0 down in the first 10 minutes, and it was clearly going to get worse as it was the most one-sided game so far. They didn’t actually score again until the second-half, with a late 5th as it could have been an even worse defeat. Norwich weren’t having the best of times either, losing at home to Doncaster to a Billy Sharp goal just before the break.

Ipswich 0-2 Norwich (CH)

The first derby came after the international break, with neither side having a good time of things, with just 1 point from the last 3 games for both sides. I wasn’t confident, with 5 points and 7 points between the teams but being at home I felt we had a chance. It was a cruel start to the match as we had the first chances and an O’Dea goal disallowed after 10 minutes before they took the lead themselves from Askou. We still had chances until half-time but Ruddy kept us our magnificently in a man of the match performance and Norwich came out racing in the second and a Holt penalty put them another goal up after 52 minute. We weren’t quite down and out and still came close to scoring a few times but despite a decent performance this just wasn’t our day, as Norwich defended properly and we didn’t.

derbyoct10_zpsa603b947.jpg

Millwall 0-2 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 2-1 Crystal Palace (CH)

Morale was obviously very low when we went to Millwall but Wickham finally made an impact after either being unfit or mediocre and he gave us a 17th minute lead. This was soon followed by Priskin, though we had a spell of intense Millwall pressure to survive before the break. They went down to 10 men early on in the second-half and rarely threatened afterwards, while we could have had a late 3rd. After just 1 point from 5 games it was great to taste a win again! Norwich built on their derby win against Crystal Palace, going 2-0 up after 23 minutes and though they conceded before the break (from former Ipswich youngster Darren Ambrose), claimed a good 2-1 win over a side in the playoffs.

Ipswich 0-2 Leicester (CH)

Coventry 2-0 Norwich (CH)

Leicester were 3rd and expected to be tough, a sure enough took the lead in the 3rd minute. We had a few chances to equalize but otherwise it was only through Fulop that it didn’t get worse before half-time. Unfortunately it didn’t take long after that for them to get another goal and deservedly win 2-0, sending us down to 19th. Norwich lost by the same score at Coventry, in a game that was wrapped up early on despite the sky blues playing over 2/3s of the match with 10 men.

Cardiff 2-3 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 1-1 Barnsley (CH)

We couldn’t afford to sink any lower and took the lead at Cardiff from Priskin after just a few minutes. Wickham was running the show nicely and set up Karaboue for the second. They put us under pressure with a goal at the start of the second half, and pushed hard until equalizing with a penalty with 10 minutes left. It looked like we’d blown it but Priskin struck in added time (thankfully not ruled offside for once, though Cardiff thought it should have been) as we got the win in the end. Norwich did blow a lead, from Holt at the end of the first half against Barnsley, but a late goal meant we closed the gap (which was still 8 points) for the first time in an age.

Nov 2010

Ipswich 1-1 Burnley (CH)

Middlesbrough 2-0 Norwich (CH)

Burnley would be a tough test but after a close-fought first-half, Kah’s header gave us a 54th minute lead. We had to share the points after a 79th minute equalizer but a lot of wasted chances meant we should have got all three. Norwich were also wasteful at Middlesbrough, and though the tee-siders were just about the better side anyway, Norwich should have done a lot better than a 2-0 defeat.

Leeds 1-0 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 4-4 Sheff Utd (CH)

Leeds were bottom but I was still very wary of going to Yorkshire, especially with Leadbitter suspended and the Trinidad pair absent, but that was no excuse for a limp performance that saw us go down late in the first-half from future Norwich player Snodgrass, and even then we showed a bit of life late on that would have allowed us an equalizer, though we wouldn’t have deserved it. Norwich were anything but limp against Sheffield United, going ahead from a Hoolahan penalty in the 2nd minute, 2-1 behind after 35, 3-2 up with two late first-half goals, retook the lead after a 63rd minute equalizer and finally conceded again to draw 4-4!

Bristol City 3-0 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 3-2 Portsmouth (CH)

The trip to Bristol City was one of those games where nothing happened in the first-half, but really livened up after the break, which unfortunately meant going behind 10 minutes in. We looked capable of equalizing so it was rather harsh to instead concede two more late on. Norwich had another exciting game against Portsmouth, going ahead twice and being pegged back both times before finally getting a winner.

Ipswich 2-3 Preston (CH)

Derby 2-0 Norwich (CH)

We had a bad start against Preston, going behind in the 8th minute, and 2-0 down in the 25th minute. Priskin soon pulled a goal back, and rescuing at least a point looked likely, but numerous chances came and went and though Karaboue did eventually give us another goal after 80 minutes, it was undone by a last minute goal. Norwich also went down at Derby to goals either side of half-time.

Ipswich 1-2 Hull (CH)

QPR 1-2 Norwich (CH)

Priskin had a goal disallowed (which makes it at least 3 this season for him alone, probably more) after 12 minutes against Hull, but still had no shortage of chances to take the lead anyway. They eventually did so instead in the 80th minute, and though we equalized through an own-goal there was still time for them to get a very late winner. Norwich were far more clinical at QPR, going ahead after 15 minutes, and surviving an equalizer to get a winner from a Hoolahan penalty after just over an hour.

Dec 2010

Nottingham Forest 1-0 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 0-2 Swansea (CH)

We were now on 4 defeats in a row and I expected it to be 5 at Nottingham Forest, who were 2nd. They had an early goal disallowed but it was still only going to go one way, and the only surprise was that it was by a single 75th minute goal. We were already just 2 points above the drop zone. Norwich were wasteful again against Swansea, having the canaries share of the chances but going down 2-0 anyway.

Ipswich 0-2 Doncaster (CH)

Scunthorpe 1-1 Norwich (CH)

I made a few tactical alterations (including abandoning the ‘Matterburg’ tactic for my more traditional ‘4-2-4’) to play Doncaster. For the first time in ages we were clearly on top in the first-half, though had no goals, but our luck clearly hadn’t changed and they scored instead at the start of the second-half, even getting an undeserved second from a late penalty, and we were now in the bottom three. Norwich found themselves behind at Scunthorpe after an hour, though managed to get 1-1 draw in the end.

Watford 3-1 Ipswich (CH)

Reading 2-3 Norwich (CH)

I had an ‘I’m getting sacked in the morning’ feeling when going to Watford. There weren’t even any of the encouraging first-half signs of Doncaster and we went 2-0 behind. Priskin pulled one back but they soon got a 3rd, with a 4th disallowed. I was hanging in there for now. Norwich went behind to an own-goal in the 27th minute at Reading, equalized, then went 2-1 down on the stroke of half-time, managing to turn it around to win 3-2.

Ipswich 3-0 Crystal Palace (CH)

Watford 1-2 Norwich (CH)

Crystal Palace could deliver a knockout blow on Boxing Day, but we weren’t done yet. Karaboue was the star of the show, assisting headers for both O’Dea and Kah in the first half. They had a lot of spirit left but no goals as Priskin completed the French winger’s assist hat-trick in the 85th minute. There are far worse ways to end a run of 7 straight defeats I guess. Norwich went behind in the 35th minute at Watford but turned it around with a Lansbury equalizer and a last-minute Barnett goal gave them another comeback win.

Middlesbrough 1-2 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 1-1 Cardiff (CH)

We had to build on the Palace win at Middlesbrough, which didn’t look likely as we were without almost all our full-backs, and they took the lead in the 20th minute. Karaboue (definitely the star summer signing) soon equalized, and Scotland gave us the lead at the start of the second-half, bringing out a ‘**** yeah’ celebration from myself. As it stood an equalizer would send us back into the bottom three but it didn’t happen and hopefully this was the start of a revival. Norwich looked set for a 1-0 win over Cardiff but were denied by a stoppage time equalizer.

dec10_zps7fd266ab.jpg

It's been a rough old time at Ipswich. Late October/early November made it look like we were improving a little while Norwich were wobbling but that was before a run of 7 defeats in a row, and in fact there were only 2 league wins in over 3 months before Crystal Palace! Hopefully the tactics shift has helped and we can gradually improve to position of safely and think 'well that wasn't great but we can try and do better next year'. Maybe the number of new signings in real-life is creating an unsettling effect in the game just as if I'd made that many myself, I hope so as at least I know that will pass after a while and things will improve. Luck's just not been on our side at all in a lot of games and I feel being so far down in the table is very harsh indeed.

Norwich also improved to a point, with some very exciting games and it's enough to get them close to the playoffs again. I'll be amazed if they don't go up before Ipswich, whenever that may be, and it's now 1-0 to them in terms of derbies, which was tough to take but I could see why, and they have a good chance of making it 2 as their home game is yet to come. Speaking of Norwich, having given Ipswich a free agent signing in September, when a suitable player popped up on Norwich's radar I felt it was only fair for them to have him...

Savolainen_zpsefde3c6c.jpg

Just as a 'worst case scenario' question, what do you think I should do if I get sacked? I'm certainly not giving up on another career so soon, and was planning on continuing on a 'blue team' career with the intention of having another crack at Ipswich later down the line, but while I'd never do it otherwise, should I 're-add; myself to keep it as a direct rivalry between the teams (as opposed to managers)? As long as we stay clear of trouble I think it'll be fine, and signs are good that we will be better in the coming months, but its too close at the bottom to be sure right now, in fact I was sure I'd be gone by the New Year.

That's a tough one deltablue, I guess if you think re adding yourself at Ipswich is wrong you could add yourself at Peterborough at least that keeps in line with the blue part?

No, it's either/or. I think if it came to that I'd re-add as the concept is already over-riding a few of my usual career conventions but I didn't want to do it if people felt it would devalue it in some way.

Fair enough, if it's an either/or situation then i'd go with adding yourself again. Hopefully it won't come to that though as the last 2 results have shown signs of improvement.

True, it probably won't come up but just in case...

Your decision, but I would just get another job with another team.

Depends on how much the rivalry matters to you; people will read regardless.

It does matter a lot however it could still actually work to move elsewhere as there still would be a sense of 'I'll be back and I'll get you eventually', so thinking abut it I wouldn't lose as much as I thought.

I think re-add yourself - I certainly wouldn't mind. The best thing about these careers is the rivalry and I'd see starting again as a disadvantage anyway as you'd be starting lower down... if that makes any sense whatsoever!

I think re-add yourself - I certainly wouldn't mind. The best thing about these careers is the rivalry and I'd see starting again as a disadvantage anyway as you'd be starting lower down... if that makes any sense whatsoever!

Well things did look like they'd improved to the point that it didn't seem an issue, but then it all went wrong. :(

Jan 2011

Coventry 1-3 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 2-2 Millwall (CH)

We still had a lot of work to do in the new year to get out of trouble and faced a trip to Coventry, where Priskin gave us the lead after just 20 seconds. They were around the playoff places and had some strong attacking players, while we were still without a left-back so it was no surprise that after a good spell from them they equalized in the 25th minute. It was brilliant end-to-end stuff but we took control again in the middle of the second half, with a free-kick being deflected in, followed by a Scotland chip with 15 minutes left that gave us a comfortable 3-1 win, though Coventry at least deserved another. Norwich had a slightly more disappointing time against second-bottom Millwall, taking a comfortable 2-0 lead after 32 minutes, and having so many chances to finish it off, only to find themselves facing a second-half fight-back as Millwall proved to be a lot more efficient with their chances and got a 2-2 draw.

Ipswich 1-0 Barnsley (CH)

Leicester 1-1 Norwich (CH)

We were clearly very tired when playing Barnsley just a couple of days later, and they had a penalty just a few minutes in which Fulop thankfully saved. Unfortunately Kah had a straight red card having just come back from suspension, and while Priskin fired us ahead at the start of the second-half, he then went off injured. We were reduced to 9 men when Karaboue went off injured as well with 20 minutes left, then 8 with the same happening to Civelli on the other wing! We somehow held on for the remaining handful of minutes, and thankfully Priskin was the only ‘proper’ injury but he’d still be a big loss for up to 6 weeks. We’d also made up 4 points in just a few days on Norwich (though there were still 9 places and 12 points between us) who had drawn again, but as it was at first-placed Leicester they’d be a lot happier about this one, even if it was only thanks to a controversial stoppage time penalty.

Doncaster 0-3 Ipswich (FA)

Norwich 2-0 Barnsley (FA)

The FA cup saw us go to Doncaster, which was surprisingly comfortable given who we were missing. Troy Brown put us ahead in the 19th minute, and in the 40th, a Wickham show deflected off the post and into the path of Scotland for 2-0. Wickham got a goal of his own in the 73rd minute as we sailed through. Norwich were also through comfortably with a routine 2-0 win over Barnsley.

Ipswich 2-2 Portsmouth (CH)

Burnley 4-2 Norwich (CH)

We had a good chance of climbing up a few places against Portsmouth, especially as they were only just above us, but they took the lead in the 5th minute and Jonsson went off injured. Wickham equalized at the start of the second-half, then Bullard gave us the lead after an hour, but a 77th minute equalizer denied us a 5th league win in a row. Norwich had another tough trip, to Burnley, and took the lead after just a few minutes from Hoolahan, but they quickly equalized and went 2-1 up. Ward levelled it shortly before the break but Burnley took them down with 2 second-half goals. It was Norwich’s first defeat in 7 games, but it also left them winless in the last 4.

Derby 2-0 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 3-0 Barnsley (CH)

We went behind in the 12th minute at Derby, and really should have equalized before the break. We had more chances in the second-half but they scored again to give us an unlucky defeat. Norwich enjoyed a more manageable game against Barnsley, getting all the goals in a 3-0 win in the first half-hour.

Chelsea 3-1 Ipswich (FA)

Norwich 1-0 Fulham (FA)

We faced an impossible task at Chelsea in the cup, even though they had a much weakened team. Lampard was their only big star playing but the likes Otamendi, Malouda, Vagner Love and Zhirkov would likely be too much to deal with. They dominated the first-half only for Bullard to give us the lead just before the break! Unsurprisingly they soon equalized but we actually played well enough in the second-half that we could easily have got another, and it was a pity that Wickham was very off-form (right at a time where there isn’t a backup with Priskin injured) in the past couple of games. They went through with two late goals but it was still a great effort, especially given we played in real life this season and were slaughtered 7-0 or something. Norwich had a chance to avenge their League Cup exit to Fulham and grabbed it with an early Hoolihan goal. Fulham didn’t even have a shot on target as their performance marked a stark contrast with their 4-1 hammering of Norwich in the autumn.

Feb 2011

Ipswich 2-1 Sheff Utd (CH)

Preston 1-2 Norwich (CH)

Priskin was returning to fitness so Wickham knew he had to improve, and he did so against Sheffield Utd, giving us the lead in the 14th minute. Scotland extended the lead on the hour mark but they pulled a goal back a few minutes later and we faced a tough fight to get the win. Norwich also had a lucky win by the same score at Preston, going behind, turning it around to lead right on the break through an own-goal and having a lot of pressure to resist to claim all the points.

QPR 2-2 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 0-0 Leeds (CH)

Scotland gave us the lead in the 22nd minute of a tough trip to QPR. They equalized just before the break, then took the lead, but I felt we were worth a point and we got it with a last-minute Civelli goal. Norwich drew as well, 0-0 against Leeds, maybe feeling like they had been slightly on top and could have got a win.

Ipswich 1-2 Swansea (CH)

We were rather unlucky against Swansea, going behind on the stroke of half-time, then conceding again when we could have had an equalizer. Wickham scored with 15 minutes left but it appeared to be a bit too late, though we still made a decent effort. Norwich had the week off, though I have no idea why.

Norwich 4-0 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 2-1 Middlesbrough (FA)

The second derby of the season approached with Norwich in far better condition, and clear favourites, though I felt that a point was still realistic. That didn’t last long as a 5th minute ward penalty gave them the lead, followed by Savolainen and Holt make it 3-0 by half-time. Wickham going off injured didn’t help and a late 4th completed a rout. We were unlucky last time, but were woeful this time, even considering they’d had a break the previous weekend and we hadn’t. Norwich had a manageable FA cup tie against Middlesbrough, and went behind in the 27th minute but turned it around in the second-half to win 2-1 and go through to the quarter-finals.

Scunthorpe 3-1 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 2-0 Nottingham Forest (CH)

We were just as bad at Scunthorpe as we were in the derby. Going behind in the 3rd minute was disappointing enough, but then eventually ran up a 3-0 lead after 54 minutes with no resistance at all. Scotland scored a late goal but couldn’t save a terrible performance. Norwich had a bit of a fight on their hands against Nottingham Forest, but took a 7th minute lead from Ayasse, Lansbury soon getting another and they managed to keep it at that for the rest of the match.

Ipswich 2-2 Reading (CH)

Doncaster 2-1 Norwich (CH)

We played Reading hoping to avoid anything like a repeat of the 5-0 earlier in the season, which didn’t seem likely as they took the lead in the 12th minute, and it was a miracle that it wasn’t more by the break. However we went out fighting in the second-half, Civelli and McAuley having given us a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes. They equalized with 10 minutes left but it was still nice positive. Norwich went to Doncaster and found themselves 2-0 down at the break, including an own-goal. Holt pulled a goal back but it was a less-than-inspired performance and a deserved defeat.

Mar 2011

Ipswich 1-2 Millwall (CH)

Hull 3-2 Norwich (CH)

Norwich 1-0 Crystal Palace (CH)

Even when we were on form we had only opened up a 6-point gap at more to the bottom three, and now were only a point above and needing a win against Millwall. Unfortunately they were trouble from the start and bagged two goals before the break. Karaboue scored in the last minute but it was too-little, too-late. Norwich played a game in hand in mid-week at Hull, taking an early lead from Holt but were otherwise second best as hull had a 2-1 lead 15 minutes later, then 3-2 after an equalizer to wrap it up before the break. They were better against Crystal Palace, edging an even game with a goal just after half-time.

Leicester 2-1 Ipswich (CH)

Norwich 3-0 Coventry (CH)

A McAuley own-goal put us behind after 15 minutes at Leicester. Jonsson had a penalty saved then Leicester scored again before half-time. We weren’t quite done, with Karaboue scoring in the 53rd minute but we couldn’t really build on it and were now in the bottom three. Norwich absolutely cruised through a game with Coventry. It helped that Coventry played over half-the game with 10 men but Norwich had already taken the lead through Finnish January signing Savolainen who ended up getting all three goals in a 3-0 win.

Ipswich 0-3 Cardiff (CH)

Everton 2-2 Norwich (FA QF)

We were sinking fast, and were completely overrun against Cardiff. They had two first-half goals disallowed and were still 2-0 up, with a sadly deserved 3rd coming in the second-half, and I received my marching orders afterwards, which came as no surprise. Norwich were at Everton in the cup, going 2-0 down in the second half, the second goal coming with just 10 minutes left, but they still had time to come back and a Lansbury equalizer deep in stoppage time gave them a replay.

mar11_zps4a3ec052.jpg

sack11_zps04e1091a.jpg

Oh dear, this complicated things considerably! I sort of saw it coming, though it was still depressing given how promising things looked early in the year, and not for the first time things could easily have gone so much better with a bit of luck, it's the story of my FM life really. I'm going to press on and maybe try and return later, for a number of reasons...

1) I loaded just as large a league selection as ever, 116k players, partly because I like having the large game world, the fact that things are more likely to change (which I find interesting) in active nations, and also as a large and diverse potential signing pool, and I might as well use that.

2) Re-adding and suffering years of potential under-achievement would have remained depressing, especially if a financial black-hole emerges, which is why I've never been a natural 'one-club career' guy, among other reasons

3) A part of the rivalry would obviously be getting the most trophies, and that doesn't necessarily have to be in England (in fact I was going to do this 'journeyman style', not theoretically 'one club) so not all of that is lost.

4) I like the idea of having to earn my way back and hoping coming good in the end, after all it happened last year (with a failed attempt in between) and that made for a great story in the end.

5) As 'Deltablue' I've lost the first round decisively, and just 're-adding' would be a lot like wiping it out or making it meaningless, this way it's as big a blow on my record as it should be.

6) I added both managers with 'pro' past experience to make sure that having too low rep wouldn't cause performance issues, and while it might have taken a bit of a blow the climb back up probably isn't anywhere near as long as it otherwise would be.

7) It's what I do.

It might be a bit more complicated if I end up operating 'out of sync' with Norwich but that's something I'll just have to work with and hope it pays off.

Speaking of Norwich, just to make sure they get a bit of comment as well. Generally unimpressive but decent in the league, staying just about in range of the playoff places but seemingly unable to get a good enough run together to threaten. Going really well in the cup, which might end up hindering their league chances a bit, even if it doesn't look like they'd quite make the top 6 anyway. Looking like a season to be very happy with.

Ouch, tough luck, but the results just weren't good enough - surprised you lasted much beyond the Norwich game if I'm honest... So, where now?

Well we were still sitting relatively comfortably above the drop zone at that point. Nothing so far for Deltablue, nearly went to Romania (With 'Delta Tulcea' of all teams, they even play in blue :D), then Russia. Still being at least a bit picky, plus at the moment still operating on a 'blue' policy which also restricts the options a little. Slightly behind on updates but hopefully I can get the rest of the season and Norwich's pre-season up later.

Was hoping you could carry on with Ipswich but obviously not meant to be :( Delta Tulcea would have been a good choice :D

I would have taken it if they weren't a fair proportion over a wage budget that was just 5kpw anyway, as I thought it would seem a fitting club otherwise :D

Mar-May 2011

Barnsley 0-0 Norwich (CH)

With Ipswich out of the way, Norwich went to Barnsley hoping to boost their playoff hopes, but were incredibly lucky that the Yorkshire side were off-target with all 9 chances, and escaped with a 0-0 draw and only 10 men with Holt getting sent off.

Middlesbrough 3-1 Norwich (CH)

Their chances had another blow at Middlesbrough. They went behind from a 2nd minute penalty, and though Lansbury soon equalized, they regained the lead before the break and won 3-1 eventually.

Portsmouth 1-3 Norwich (CH)

They returned to winning ways at Portsmouth, taking a commanding 2-0 lead in the first-half. Portsmouth pulled a goal back far too late to change anything and a stoppage time goal gave Norwich their 3rd. That took them to 4 points of the playoffs with 6 games left.

Norwich 1-3 Everton (FA QF)

Unsurprisingly Everton were too good in the cup replay. It was a fairly even game but Everton were far more clinical, taking a 20th minute lead from Rodwell, whose own-goal equalizer 10 minutes later was the only thing Norwich got, then going on to win 3-1. It was still a great run.

Norwich 0-0 QPR (CH)

QPR was a tough obstacle, but Norwich endured. They were second-best throughout but held on to get a 0-0 draw, maintaining the 4-point gap.

Norwich 3-4 Derby (CH)

Their playoff chances took a massive blow in an epic game against Derby. They went behind after a few minutes, equalized, went behind again, levelled it on the half-hour mark, and took the lead at the start of the second-half. Derby came back to win 4-3, and though Norwich didn’t slip any further away from 6th even with defeat, the games were running out and they needed to get a few wins.

Sheff Utd 1-1 Norwich (CH)

The win-less run for Norwich continued at Sheffield Utd, where they failed to hold on to an early lead and draw 1-1. They slipped just 1 point to 5 adrift of the playoff places, and there was a sense that a slow end to the season was really costing them.

Swansea 1-0 Norwich (CH)

The playoff dream ended for good at Swansea, with Norwich going 1-0 down to a 57th minute Luke Moore goal in a game of numerous wasted chances at both ends.

Norwich 1-1 Scunthorpe (CH)

Norwich would surely have hoped to beat bottom club Scunthorpe at home but it didn’t happen. They went behind in the 5th minute, and through dominating the game managed to equalize through Surman before the break, but there was no winner.

Reading 1-1 Norwich (CH)

The final game of the season was at Reading. It looked like they’d finally get a win when they scored late in the first half but an equalizer with a few minutes left meant that the points were shared, giving Norwich just a single league win in the past 9, and none in 6.

final11_zps7f722783.jpg

It was a strong top-half season for Norwich, with a good cup run added in and a clear dominance over Ipswich, who thankfully improved after my sacking to survive comfortably. There were a couple of slow patches, not least late in the season (and I hope that was just a coincidence that it happened after my sacking, but I'm slightly worried that with the other couple of bad patches happening during potential Ipswich revivals mean there is a form of 'one manager does well, the other badly' going on like in the previous versions, but we'll only know that long-term) costing what seemed like a decent chance of making the playoffs, which is certainly a decent possibility for next time.

Summer 2011

Norwich were rewarded for a good season last time with a big boost to the wage budget to about 100kpw (from 83kpw), and 1M to spend, boosted a little by getting rid of some unwanted players. There wasn't an awful lot out there that was worth spending a bit of money on, aside from a couple of youngsters for a drop in the ocean wage-wise. The main change to the side would be a new winger coming in and allowing Hoolahan to drop back to his more natural midfield position, covering for the end of Lansbury's loan. Expectations were top half which seemed realistic though maybe a more effective playoff challenge would be on the cards.

Ordish_zps17bacba3.jpg

Mitrovic_zpsebbd7936.jpg

trans11_zps7e097b71.jpg

Sucks that it went rubbish at Ipswich, decent job with the Canaries though :D Mitrovic, a player so good you signed him twice! I really liked FM11 as well, had my best regens ever, two strikers the best I've ever seen but could not play in a team together! Anyway, good luck finding a new job.

Tough stuff with Ipswitch, but surely extra motivation to return some day!

You enjoying this much more than FM14 though I assume?

Not so far but my careers are always very slow starters, so a lot of early disappointment is nothing new just as well they're so long. Definitely keeping a close eye open for an Ipswich return, it's just a matter of when it's available and if I'm in much of a position to go back.

Sucks that it went rubbish at Ipswich, decent job with the Canaries though :D Mitrovic, a player so good you signed him twice! I really liked FM11 as well, had my best regens ever, two strikers the best I've ever seen but could not play in a team together! Anyway, good luck finding a new job.

That's co-ownership for you :D

I find it quite ironic that you're doing better with a team you dislike! :p

Looking forward to your next move.

Well I doubt people need to worry any more about whether Norwich being looked after properly :D

Aug/Sept 2011

Norwich 3-1 Bristol City (CH)

Norwich started their season in style against Bristol City. Ayasse, Holt and Crofts giving them a 3-0 lead in just 18 minutes. Bristol pulled a goal back 15 minutes later but Norwich were well on their way to a good win.

Norwich 2-0 Notts County (LC)

Holt was injured for 5 weeks, but Jackson filled in well against Notts County in the League Cup, scoring both goals, including a penalty, in a 2-0 win.

Blackpool 3-2 Norwich (CH)

Hoolahan gave Norwich the lead at Blackpool, with Whitbread restoring it early in the second half after an equalizer. However the game turned after that and Blackpool pushed on to win 3-2.

Norwich 0-0 Hull (CH)

Norwich failed to bounce back with a win against Hull, a very even game with a decent bunch of chances at each end that turned into a 0-0.

Swindon 1-0 Norwich (LC)

The trip to Swindon in the League Cup was another even game, but this time Swindon broke through early in the second half to get a surprise win.

Watford 0-1 Norwich (CH)

Norwich only had two league wins in the past 12 but got another at Watford. There was a sense of a ‘rearguard’ action about it but Jackson’s 11th minute goal was enough.

Norwich 1-0 Reading (CH(

Unfortunately they feel for defeat again against Reading. They were slightly on-top but Kebe’s goal just before the break gave Reading the win. They lost 1-0 again at QPR to an early goal, but wastefulness at both ends meant it was a game with more potential goals in.

Norwich 4-2 Brighton (CH)

A home game with Brighton was a good chance to get a win again, and so it proved. Two Jackson goals, with Glenn Murray getting one in between, gave Norwich a 2-1 lead after half an hour. Cramer got a second-half brace of his own, again with Brighton scoring in between, as the boys in yellow got a 4-2 win.

Cardiff 0-2 Norwich (CH)

Norwich followed it up at Cardiff, slightly on top, if a bit wasteful, but Ward gave them the lead after 40 minutes, and a returning Holt gave them a 2-0 lead.

Norwich 3-2 Southampton (CH)

Norwich were starting to hit good form for the first time in months. Holt gave them the lead in the 22nd minute, and though the south coast side equalized in the 33rd minute, Hoolahan restored the lead almost instantly. Cramer made it 3-1 before a penalty gave Southampton a second consolation.

Norwich 3-3 Sheff Utd (CH)

They were very close to a 4th win in a row against Sheff Utd. Quinn then Holt made it 1-1 after 10 minutes. Smith then made it 2-1 in the 14th minute and it stayed that way at the break. They equalized in the 52nd minute, and though Smith’s second goal 6 minutes later made it 3-2 to Norwich, a late Ched Evans goal meant the points were shared.

sept11_zps11ec0306.jpg

Mediocre start to the season for Norwich, not helped by Holt's injury, but hitting form and probably making a strong play-off push as expected, though it remains to be seen if they can keep it up. Oh, and there is a new development on the 'blue' front as well...

Sen11_zpsdb5b32cf.jpg

It's good to jump in to a top division club, even if a) it's in Slovakia and b) Senica are win-less after 11 games and bottom with 4 points, 2 behind 11th and 10th, and thankfully only 1 team in this 12-team league goes down. Senica were 6th last season, do have a 6-figure transfer budget, only 5.5kpw wage budget but do have a good bit of room in that. These smaller leagues often provide a decent opportunity for advancement, even though Zilina are just turning into the local 'big boys' (Their domination in my last FM 11 career, when I was at Michalovce was just insane!) and even without being that far ahead of the others there'll still be some tough competition from them and Slovan to get anything.

Good luck with Senica, it doesn't sound like their position is too bad at the minute so hopefully you can pull them clear.
Good luck with Senica, right in at the deep end!

Unfortunately the situation is worse than it looks, there are a lot of injuries, including the keeper (one of the best players) out until the Spring! We do have a few players comparable with most of the rest of the league but there's also a forest's worth full of dead wood so there's a lot to do to get the squad up to scratch. Thankfully you seem to be able to get good players really cheaply here, as long as they're not considered promising young prospects. Finalized 2 deals so far for just 13k total, (one guy who is going to be a starting full-back was just 1k, bargain!)

Ipswich to Senica. I bet hardly anybody has made that move before.

That's the joy of it Nobby. A decent spin (even if it's not that successful) in a smaller European league can be a lot more fun that struggling in England.

Best of luck. A pre-seaon friendly on the cards for next year?

With Norwich? I don't think so. I was planning to make one an annual feature but rejected the idea.

I like this - a really fun move :)

Thanks, I've only been in Slovakia once before but it worked well and if this manages to avoid going too badly it could turn into one of my favourite leagues.

Shame things didn't work out for Deltablue but the best of luck with Senica.Deltayellow isn't doing too badly but it looks like it could be a pretty close season in the top half!

Odd thing about Norwich is that they've consistently struck fairly close to the playoff places (aside from during the slump late last season) but not actually made a particularly strong push to get into the top 6 as of yet, and it'll be interesting to see how long that lasts.

Oct 2011

Senica 3-1 Ruzomberok (SD1)

Swansea 3-0 Norwich (CH)

The first Senica game was at home to Ruzomberok. Unfortunately we had a wealth of injuries, including our first choice keeper (one of our best players) out for up to 5 months. Target Man Hricov have us the lead in the 5th minute, but we were lucky to still have it at the break. Defender Komarek and winger Poliacek made it 3-0 by the 70th minute as we pushed on in the second half. They quickly pulled a goal back but we easily got their first league win in 13 games, not bad for the first day on the job. Norwich had a nightmare at Swansea, holding out in the first half but the Swansea onslaught was just too much in the second half as the Welsh side ran out 3-0 winners.

Zlate Moravce 3-1 Senica (SD1)

Ipswich 1-2 Norwich (CH)

Norwich 1-1 Preston (CH)

We went to Zlate Moravce and took the lead from Piroska just before the break. Unfortunately a weak defence and inexperience backup keeper showed as they soon turned it around, getting a 3rd at the end as we lost what was otherwise a fairly even game. Norwich faced the away derby and made it 3 wins from 3 in that fixture. Holt gave them the lead right at the end of the first half, with Hoolahan adding another. Priskin’s stoppage time goal was the only consolation. Mitrovic gave them the lead in the 22nd minute against Preston, but they failed to take chances to kill the game off and a 70th minute equalizer meant the points were shared.

Senica 0-1 Trencin (SD1)

Peterborough 1-1 Norwich (CH)

We had a decent chance to get a win against Trencin, but found it tough going in the first half. We improved in the second but they struck a winner with 10 minutes left. Norwich took the lead in the 32nd minute at Peterborough but conceded an equalizer and an Askou own-goal gave Peterborough the lead, requiring a late Hoolahan goal to rescue a point.

Presov 4-0 Senica (SD1)

Derby 0-2 Norwich (CH)

After 2 unlucky defeats we were bottom again and went to Presov in a bit of a 6-pointer. Unfortunately they tore through us with ease, going a deserved goal up in the first half and rampaging in the second to a 4-0 win. Norwich strolled to a 2-0 win at Derby. They had Holt sent off early in the second half but Hoolahan and Ayasse still gave them a 2-0 win afterwards.

Nov 2011

Senica 0-2 Zilina (SD1)

Norwich 0-0 Crystal Palace (CH)

Norwich 0-0 Leeds (CH)

Coventry 0-2 Norwich (CH)

November saw the opponents I dreaded most, Zilina, even though they were nowhere near as invincible and all-conquering as they were last time I managed here, with Slovan being just as much of a threat. Despite a lacklustre showing and an injury to Piroska we held on in the first half, but they finally broke through in the 59th minute, soon adding another to give us a 2-0 defeat that was pretty much expected. Norwich had played in mid-week as well as the weekend but got 0-0 wins both times. The first was against Crystal Palace and was one of those ‘benefiting from the other side being a bit wasteful’ points, but Leeds was an extreme example of it happening the other way around, with Norwich having 18 shots to Leeds’ 4 but just a single one of each of those being on target. They were on a run of 6 games unbeaten but there were only 2 wins in that. They got a win again at Coventry, a comfortable affair with Mitrovic and Hoolahan scoring in the first-half for a 2-0 win that took them into the top 6 at last.

Nitra 5-1 Senica (SD1)

Norwich 1-1 Portsmouth (CH)

Nitra was another tough trip to make, and it seemed one sided from the start. They took the lead in the 15th minute which seemed like a long time for it to come. Piroska pulled a goal back after they made it 2-0, but they scored a 3rd before the break, and went on to win 5-1. Norwich would have hoped to build on the Coventry win against bottom club Portsmouth. Jackson’s penalty gave them the lead in the 23rd minute but they equalized 10 minutes later.

Trnava 2-0 Senica (SD1)

Middlesbrough 2-2 Norwich (CH)

More pain was due at Trnava. We withstood a first-half barrage, looked slightly decent for a bit in the second-half but they took the lead in the 62nd minute, with another in the 79th for a deserved 2-0 win, a record 6th defeat in a row for us. Norwich went to Middlesbrough and went behind in the 8th minute from Boyd. Ayasse and Smith scored to put them 2-1 up but Boyd scored again after 80 minutes to share the points which was the least that Middlesbrough deserved. Despite just 3 wins in the past 11 games, they had earned and were clinging on to 6th thanks to just a single defeat in that time.

Dec 2011 – Feb 2012

Senica 1-2 Kosice (SD1)

Norwich 3-3 Stoke (CH)

Kosice at home was the last game before the winter break (which would last until late Feb), and at another time would be considered a decent chance to get something. It was good not to be outplayed for a change, in fact we even looked slightly better, and took the lead shortly before the break from Brazilian midfielder Kaka (obviously not that one). A win would take us back to 2 points of Presov, making survival a realistic possibility again, so two Kosice goals in the last 10 minutes made be very frustrated indeed. Norwich’s unbeaten run continued with yet another draw, against Stoke. Hoolahan and Holt gave them a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes, but Stoke fought back to make it 2-2 at the break and 3-2 early in the second half, a 58th minute Holt goal sharing the points in an even game.

Nottingham Forest 2-0 Norwich (CH)

Norwich’s 10 game unbeaten run ended at Nottingham Forest, putting on a decent showing but Forest were still the better side and showed it with two second-half goals, the second in stoppage time, to claim the win.

Bristol City 1-0 Norwich (CH)

They were hit with another defeat at Bristol City, going down to a 32nd minute goal.

Norwich 0-0 Blackpool (CH)

Norwich looked capable of getting back to winning ways against Blackpool, but wastefulness and a disallowed goal meant they had to settle for a 0-0 draw.

Norwich 2-0 Wolves (CH)

They were able to beat table-topping Wolves, a strong but wasteful performance eventually bearing fruit with Jackson scoring in the 72nd minute, and Savolainen in added time giving them a 2-0 win, a first win in 7.

Hull 1-1 Norwich (CH)

They couldn’t help drawing and despite going behind in the 39th minute at Hull, easily had the chances to go on and win but could only share the points due to a Jackson goal.

Norwich 4-0 Watford (CH)

Norwich’s new year started in style against struggling Watford. Jackson set the ball rolling in the 29th minute, with Tudur-Jones, Hughes and Ward all chipping in for a commanding 4-0 win.

Norwich 3-1 Bristol Rovers (FA)

Norwich would have hoped for another strong FA cup run and started this year’s campaign against Bristol Rovers. Cramer and Crofts gave them a 2-0 lead after 21 minutes, and though Rovers scored before half-time, a late Holt goal sealed their passage.

Reading 0-0 Norwich (CH)

They were considerably outplayed at Reading but held on to get a 12th draw of the season, putting them 6th again but only on goal difference ahead of Southampton and Sheffield United.

Norwich 1-1 QPR (CH)

The draws kept coming. Whitbread gave Norwich a 10th minute lead against QPR, but they were under heavy pressure. A 84th minute goal meant they couldn’t quite hold out to win but at least got a point, and remained 6th, with 6 teams within 3 points of them!

Norwich 1-1 Bristol City (FA)

Norwich hoped to complete a Bristol double in the cup against City. They couldn’t quite do so, going behind in the 29th minute from Clarkson, who scored the only goal in the recent league encounter. Norwich were otherwise firmly on top, though only stayed in the tie with an added time Smith goal.

Norwich 2-0 Cardiff (CH)

I felt Norwich needed more league wins to be seriously in the playoff hunt in the spring, and they certainly responded, a Holt brace, one either side of half-time delivered a 2-0 win over Cardiff, though didn’t open up any sort of gap over any of the teams chasing them.

Bristol City 1-3 Norwich (FA)

The replay at Bristol City added to a busy month in February, and in an even game, it was Norwich who were far more decisive. Holt scored in the 19th minute, followed by a Hoolihan brace early in the second-half to give Norwich a 3-0 lead after an hour, leaving Bristol City with a consolation from Stead, giving Norwich a tie against Leicester, who had just knocked out Man Utd, also in a replay.

Sheff Utd 1-3 Norwich (CH)

Norwich went to Sheff Utd, one of their close chasing teams, and they passed the test with great confidence. An own-goal gave them an early lead, with Ayasse scoring just before the break and Smith shortly after, against leaving their opponents to get a consolation as they won 3-1.

Norwich 0-1 Ipswich (CH) :D

The home derby was next, and pleasingly after 3 poor defeats it was Ipswich’s turn to triumph. It was a match of a lot of wasted chances (17 total with only 1 on each side on target) but a goal just a few minutes in decided it.

Leicester 1-1 Norwich (FA)

Norwich went to Leicester in the cup and again had to face a replay as Crofts scored in the 70th minute but it would have been a bit of a stolen win so it was unsurprising to see a Leicester equalizer with a few minutes left.

Norwich 1-0 Swansea (CH)

They kept on going in the league, starting to open up a gap over some of their challengers, though there were still a few times right on their tail. Mitrovic’s goal after 40 minutes allowed to edge a game with Swansea.

Banska Bystrica 4-1 Senica (SD1)

Southampton 1-1 Norwich (CH)

Action restarted in Slovakia with a trip to Banska Bystrica. Unfortunately even with our star keeper finally back they were able to take a 2-0 lead after 10 minutes. They got a 3rd before we got one back from defender Riska, one of the new signings, but fell to a 4-1 defeat. Norwich took a 10th minute lead from Holt at Southampton, one of their closest playoff rivals, but couldn’t get another win as his counterpart Lambert meant the points were shared with 10 minutes left, knocking them from 6th.

feb12_zpsa2b6ae11.jpg

norfeb12_zps4dd7c6cc.jpg

Well, for various reasons I've only managed a couple of very short sessions since the last update, but now there's rather a lot to say.

After winning my first game at Senica, I felt things would be fine in Slovakia, but it's been anything but as it's been a string of defeats ever since. We should have got a win or at least a draw in quite a few of those matches, alongside games in which we were clearly outplayed. It didn't help that the key goalkeeper was out injured until the spring, giving me a choice between two mediocre replacements as well as a couple of other important players being sidelined for a while at various points, and squad depth (especially up front and on the right-wing) was severely lacking. There's also the fact that I seem to mention every single time I join a club in mid-season, that there seems to be a hangover that often prevents serious improvement for the rest of that season, with the first full season seeing a clear difference (I don't suppose anyone remembers Charlton, the last club in the 'Delta's Darlings' career as a rather extreme example of that), though on FM 13 I noticed that's no longer as much of a trend, so the fact we're still stuck doing terribly isn't that much of a surprise, and a reminder of why generally I don't go for clubs in the relegation zone. However there are some reasons for optimism.

We have our keeper fit, as well as greater depth (only one of the 4 winter signings started the first game after the break, and did terribly, but another came on and scored, another was on the bench, and the last one's just 16) that clearly wasn't much use against Banska but in closer games could well give us some points we were unlucky to miss out on before. Presov haven't been that good either, and mainly owe their comfortable margin of survival to our bad luck and their hammering of us in the autumn, so while we do need to improve quite a bit no matter what, if we do we can easily close in on them. The board also still seem to be satisfied for now, and whether we survive or not, if I can stay then things should get a lot better and it would be a pity to not have the chance.

Since the start of the career, Norwich seem to have been unable to make up their minds on whether they're playoff challengers or not. Recently, while there have still been a few too many draws as opposed to wins, greater consistency has still allowed them to take and hold on to 6th a few times, even if it's always been by the skin of their teeth and if their cup exploits don't get in the way again, they could well be in the mix in what seems like a very intense fight for at least one playoff spot. I should just state that I've never disliked Norwich, and while I'd never manage them on principle, and the real-life situation is clearly a bit depressing, I don't see any pain or disappointment at seeing them do well, as long as it's not at my/Ipswich's expense, and if they did have something to play for on the last day I'd take control and follow that last-day excitement one bit at a time and enjoy it just as much as one of my own teams. In fact today I've realized that it's nice having them as a more consistent side to follow in the longer-term than the series of disasters I've had so far, even if I won't get the chance to compete with them again for a long time it seems.

Hopefully it's clear by now that while they're getting slightly less focus that whatever I'm doing, they're still getting decent and reasonable coverage, also that the way I'm doing it is working, and that there should be no fears about how I'm handling it.

Senica Transfers

Apologies for the fact that there isn't enough distinction between the two colours to see the words clearly on the player or club profiles, this is very frustrating.

Belkovics_zps30c9e656.jpg

(Belkovics)

Beno_zpse73613fb.jpg

(Beno)

Riska_zpsa2a18a48.jpg

(Riska)

Pescovic_zps0e47235e.jpg

(Pescovic)

transjan12_zpsc8ca308a.jpg

Bit of a bad run with Senica, hopefully you can turn it around.

In the short term, no. In the long term, we'll see.

It never comes easy for deltablue (curse that yellow bloke) :)

Early days yet, and Norwich are hardly racing themselves. :D

Bottom! I fear another sacking coming :(

I was worried about that too but felt it was worth a bit of patience and for now it seems like I'm right.

That Belkovics dude should score a few, a classic FM poacher. Let's hope for a positive turn.

Well one goal in 12 games so far, but he should improve.

Hope those new transfers can give Senica a lift :thup:

Again, it didn't really happen, but there's still time.

Mar 2012

Senica 0-1 Dubnica (SD1)

Preston 4-1 Norwich (CH)

Norwich 0-1 Leicester (FA)

Dubnica was a winnable game, which made it must-win. We looked decent and were unlucky to have a goal disallowed from Hricov (who was struggling for form and confidence) just before half-time. They took the lead instead (isn’t it always the way?) in the 57th minute, with another disallowed late on, so at least we were even on that score. Norwich had a bit of a nightmare at Preston, who were 3-0 up after 25 minutes. They scored a 4th early in the second-half before a Hoolahan consolation on the hour mark, but as the old joke goes, they wouldn’t get much consolation from that. They also had a bad time against Leicester in the FA Cup replay, being dominated throughout and being lucky to only lose by one.

Slovan 3-0 Senica (SD1)

Norwich 0-1 Leeds (CH)

Norwich 1-0 Peterborough (CH)

A trip to Slovan wasn’t going to be fun, and they took the lead after half an hour. They extended their lead after an hour, and though we had another goal disallowed it wouldn’t have made any difference to when was a 3-0 defeat. Norwich were dropping out of the playoff hunt and suffered a 3rd league defeat in a row against Leeds. They had a bunch of shots but none on target, while Leeds were on top and made the most of it with a 64th minute winner, putting them in 6th instead, 7 points ahead of the Canaries. They got back to winning ways against Peterborough, though it was a close thing. They were on top but were inefficient up front and only got a winner from Smith after an hour.

Ruzomberok 2-0 Senica (SD1)

Crystal Palace 1-0 Norwich (CH)

We had some hope at Ruzomberok, especially as they had a first-half goal disallowed, though took the lead before the break anyway. It was false hope as in the end they were comfortably on top and won 2-0. Norwich were still in a mess, going behind in the 8th minute at Crystal Palace and struggled to mount anything like a fightback.

Senica 1-2 Zlate Moravce (SD1)

Even goals were hard to come by in Slovakia, and we got another against Zlate Moravce in the 69th minute. However we were already 2-0 down and while it gave us hope of getting something it didn’t work out.

Trencin 1-3 Senica (SD1)

Norwich 1-0 Coventry (CH)

Luck just wasn’t on our side, and we were holding out at Trencin before they got a penalty just before half-time. We crumbled and conceded two more in the second-half, before at least getting a stoppage time goal from Riska. Norwich were trying to get back into playoff contention and managed to snatch another 1-0 win against Coventry through a 23rd minute Surman goal.

Senica 1-1 Presov (SD1)

Norwich 0-0 Derby (CH)

A home game against Presov might have helped before but that ship had sailed. They took the lead in the 33rd minute, but Piroska equalized a few minutes later. It was tough resisting in the second half but we managed to get our first point since my first game in charge, ending a run of 13 straight defeats. It wasn’t much, and wouldn’t be enough but it was still something. Norwich played Derby, getting a decently entertaining 0-0 draw, though both sides would have felt that they should have better up front and got a winner.

Apr/May 2012

Zilina 4-0 Senica (SD1)

Portsmouth 0-0 Norwich (CH)

Norwich 0-0 Middlesbrough (CH)

We went to Zilina and unsurprisingly went behind in the 3rd minute. We hadn’t been too bad and could easily have had an equalizer before they extended the lead in the 32nd minute. The expected thrashing then occurred as we went down to 10 men. They made it 3-0 early in the second half, and a penalty sealed a 4-0 defeat. Norwich ground out another 0-0 draw at Portsmouth, with a disallowed goal being symbolic of the fact that they were slightly unlucky not to win. Draws seemed to be their stock in trade this year, and 0-0’s especially at the moment, with another one coming against Middlesbrough, a clear 2 points dropped as they were on top, but shot accuracy seemed to be an issue for a while.

Senica 1-5 Trnava (SD1)

Sheff Utd 0-1 Norwich (CH)

We were all but doomed (though it wasn’t mathematical yet) and received a hammering against Trnava. The first half seemed even enough. They took the lead in the 32nd minute, then extended it 5 minutes later but Poliacek put us back in it just before the break. We went down to 10 men which gave them full license to rack up a 5-1 win. Norwich got back to winning ways at Sheffield Utd, a Smith goal in the 23rd minute edging it but it wasn’t enough to formally close the playoff door for another year.

Senica 1-0 Nitra (SD1)

Nottingham Forest 2-0 Norwich (CH)

Nitra were up in 3rd but we looked decent from the start and snatched a win from a 69th minute Piroska goal, even though Riska got sent off afterwards, giving us a first win in over half a season. Norwich’s season was over so it didn’t matter that they went to Nottingham Forest and got a first defeat in 6 from a first-half brace.

Kosice 1-2 Senica (SD1)

Wolves 4-3 Norwich (CH)

We went to Kosice, and took a deserved lead from Belkovics in the 39th minute. I was worried it would all go pear shaped, with chances aplenty at both ends but Piroska’s goal in the 73rd minute made it safer. They scored deep in stoppage time but a deserved win was ours. Suddenly there was hope again as we closed to 4 points of Presov with 3 games left, hardly impossible to overcome especially as their form had been almost as bad as ours even when we were losing week-in, week-out so it felt very much in our hands. Norwich finished off their season at Wolves, who had secured promotion and would reach 100 points if they win. Korey Smith was the team’s young star and gave Norwich a 4th minute lead, though it only lasted a few minutes, then they took the lead in the 18th minute from a Crofts own-goal. The latter scored in the right end 5 minutes later but Wolves made it 3-2 right before the break. Cramer equalized again early in the second half but Wolves reached that 100 point mark with a 66th minute winner.

Senica 0-0 Banska Bystrica (SD1)

A home game against Banska Bystrica was a decent opportunity to make up more ground but luck just wasn’t on our side. We had a goal disallowed late in the first half, and a penalty denied in the second, while Presov got a point making relegation a near-certainty again.

Dubnica 3-1 Senica (SD1)

A trip to Dubnica was our last chance saloon, and we were definitely up for it, being unlucky not to go in at the break. Piroska gave us a breakthrough in the 62nd minute, which would take us to a point of Presov, but they immediately hit back and cruelly sent us down with two late goals for yet another undeserved defeat.

Senica 0-3 Slovan Bratislava (SD1)

The final game was against Slovan, and we were back to being terrible again with nothing to play for and were an easy target. They took the lead in the 18th minute, and finished us off with goals either side of half-time.

final12_zps032b7eaf.jpg

norfinal12_zps6e7a66f0.jpg

I'll start with Norwich first. I was wondering whether they would at least get close to the playoffs, but again the FA Cup may or may not have got in the way and left them too tired to really cope with the final couple of months of the season, and they might be at least a little disappointed to fall pretty far short having looked in a better position half-way through. The Championship is a really tough league to get out of, I'm not sure how much better the squad can be made in the short term and it might be a while before they do make it up. It's definitely an ongoing and realistic goal though so it will be interesting to see how the quest goes.

In Slovakia, you can imagine how depressing it was having a losing run (with about half of those being unlucky) that lasted over a third of the season and playing every other team at least once, and soon even goals were rare enough to be celebrated. I must admit my FM mojo has been far from fully restored after the past few months and it wasn't helping but it made a big difference seeing things pick up again late on, and what had long seemed like a 'when, not if' relegation at least looked like it would turn into a late fight for survival, which would have been epic had it come off, and it still made a nice change from defeat after defeat. The hard part is now over, even had we survived I feel we'd have been in a much better position and having held on to my post (with confidence still on 'secure' though it was a bit harsh for the board to bring up the Slovak cup as a disappointment when they were knocked out before I arrived) the future is rather brighter. The shackles that almost always weigh an underachieving team down when arriving during the season have been cast off, the squad will have a lot more depth, and we really should be looking to get promoted up again and have a far better season when we do, so things might come good in Slovakia after all.

Archived