Cost of in-game money FMC

Is the cost of in game currency too much?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is the cost of in game currency too much?

I find it interesting how SI can charge £5 for 50 million in game currency, when if you buy the editor and play FM you can put in as much money are you want and that's only £4.

Seems to me those who play FMC are getting a raw deal, which is a shame.

Your thoughts?

I could name a dozen games where you have a different mode to the norm where you are playing a watered down version of the full game and charged for extra content.

Editing simply doesn't fit into what SI want fmc to be.

You always have the choice to play the full version.

Can you explain the model to me please? And also justify the extra charges.

FMC was/is a version of the game to attract former players of the game or people who just don't have the time they once did to play the game. I used to play CM then the first few FMs virtually non stop, now I can't. I have kids and other interests, time seems more precious to me now and it seems i just don't have enough of it to play FM in full fat mode.

I hate the fact that if I want to add a few funds to my team I have to spend even more money. I mean, Ive bought FM this year and have the Vita version on pre order. Isn't that enough?

I maybe would part with a little extra if I could purchase an in game FMC editor? Maybe for a few pounds less than the combined price of the unlockables. Maybe SI could implement that for FM15...

I could name a dozen games where you have a different mode to the norm where you are playing a watered down version of the full game and charged for extra content.

Yeah, that's not exactly a good statement. It was said that FMC would be a straight forward version for som people, and a lot of those are now saying they enjoy it because they don't have the time otherwise. Note, time!

So why should one not expect, want and demand the same main functionality that FM allways offered, a editable football manager simulation. And it doesn't fit? Well here is a speculative and fully personal opinion: Watch out, cash cow. Don't really like the fact that i basically have to pay more for less features, i acknowledge the work that went into it though. However, some people by now might only buy the game for that mode.

And please, refrain from saying "people always have the choice to play the full version", that falls fully under the " you don't have to buy the game" category. The people say they would like THIS mode with the familiar editor functionality.

The players dictate how the game is played. Not the developers. SI can "want" FMC to be whatever it wants but if the players want an editor than the players want an editor. If they choose to ignore their players for the 2nd year running then that's their prerogative but the game will only go in 1 direction.

I'll happily pay for an editor. I'll happily pay £10 for an editor. I won't spend £10 on unlockables in my entire FMC career. At least give us the choice SI. You make money either way.

Yeah the price of buying in-game money in FMC is extortionate. However I'd happily buy an IGE for FMC for a few £ more than the price of all the unlockables combined.

This. Make the FMC editor cost more than all the unlockables combined. I'd like to see SI's argument against this. They make money either way. They're happy. the players are happy.

Well I tweeted Miles about the issue and he couldn't give me a proper response only that we vote with our wallets and until then he doesn't care about us because people are lining his pockets with paying for unlockables.

Hmmm...SI has stated repeatedly that there will be no editor for FMC, that the unlockables are optional to the FMC game, and that the FMC game is a free bonus game bundled with the regular game - and yet you somehow think you can demand features be added two days after the release of the game.

Fine, I want jumbotron screens in every stadium, the ability to field a team of halflings and dwarves, and when I win a national cup, money should pour out of my computer.

Then I'll make a rather daring prediction: In FM'15, the unlockables will still be in FMC, and at the same cost. See you back here in this thread in a year. Maybe I'll get my hobbits and dwarves.

Yeah, that's not exactly a good statement. It was said that FMC would be a straight forward version for som people, and a lot of those are now saying they enjoy it because they don't have the time otherwise. Note, time!

So why should one not expect, want and demand the same main functionality that FM allways offered, a editable football manager simulation.

I have sympathy, but the problem is that you defeat your own argument here. As you say, FMC is designed for people who do not have time to play the full game, and that is happening- there has been an increase in sales because of it, if interviews are to be believed. Great, it's excellent that people who'd found the main game too slow can now play FMC. The unlockables are there for those who want to make the game even quicker/easier (by buying cash, for example). Nothing more, nothing less- they're not essential to the game.

But editing a database, by its very nature, is a time-consuming activity. That puts it at odds with the main point of FMC, and it means that justifying an editor for FMC is difficult, especially if it's going to undermine the point of the unlockables in the first place.

The other side of it is that, despite its success, FMC is still very much a minority interest within the grand scheme of the FM game. In this interview, Miles states it clearly: "Classic mode was played by just under 10% of the people who played the game in total."

What this means is that spending time developing an FMC editor, in addition to undermining the idea of unlockables, would be doing so for a minority of FMC players- which, as a group, is already a very small minority within the FM player base.

FMC will grow over time, as the game does, and I wouldn't entirely rule out seeing an editor somewhere down the line. I'd imagine a lot will depend on what share of players DO switch over to FMC. For all we know, that "just under 10%" figure could end up as, say, 30% for FM14. Or it could stay the same, or it could drop. But right now, an FMC editor is a niche idea within a niche mode which actively works against the concept of that mode, so justifying time and effort on its development strikes me as difficult and counterproductive from an SI perspective.

I have sympathy, but the problem is that you defeat your own argument here. As you say, FMC is designed for people who do not have time to play the full game, and that is happening- there has been an increase in sales because of it, if interviews are to be believed. Great, it's excellent that people who'd found the main game too slow can now play FMC. The unlockables are there for those who want to make the game even quicker/easier (by buying cash, for example). Nothing more, nothing less- they're not essential to the game.

But editing a database, by its very nature, is a time-consuming activity. That puts it at odds with the main point of FMC, and it means that justifying an editor for FMC is difficult, especially if it's going to undermine the point of the unlockables in the first place.

The other side of it is that, despite its success, FMC is still very much a minority interest within the grand scheme of the FM game. In this interview, Miles states it clearly: "Classic mode was played by just under 10% of the people who played the game in total."

What this means is that spending time developing an FMC editor, in addition to undermining the idea of unlockables, would be doing so for a minority of FMC players- which, as a group, is already a very small minority within the FM player base.

FMC will grow over time, as the game does, and I wouldn't entirely rule out seeing an editor somewhere down the line. I'd imagine a lot will depend on what share of players DO switch over to FMC. For all we know, that "just under 10%" figure could end up as, say, 30% for FM14. Or it could stay the same, or it could drop. But right now, an FMC editor is a niche idea within a niche mode which actively works against the concept of that mode, so justifying time and effort on its development strikes me as difficult and counterproductive from an SI perspective.

I was thinking more along the line of time editing to setup the perfect game (small league, favourite club etc.) vs. faste gameplay. And i see time used for editing as more marginal. And for the option, i really suspect it would be possible (like with the exploit last year) to use the regular editor and database. But as you said correct it would stand in the way of monetized unlockables.

If you have nothing to add to the thread then kindly go away.

Um, I DID have something to add, that being SI has already established parameters for FMC and they're not likely to change because people have their knickers in a twist about not getting their way.

Um, I DID have something to add, that being SI has already established parameters for FMC and they're not likely to change because people have their knickers in a twist about not getting their way.

You were just trying to be funny (which you were clearly not), no knicker twisting here. People just want an editor for this version. Ok, the unlockables are not going away but they could give a special deal for an editor that could be bought.

You were just trying to be funny (which you were clearly not), no knicker twisting here. People just want an editor for this version. Ok, the unlockables are not going away but they could give a special deal for an editor that could be bought.

Yes or cheaper unlockables so its fair on people who play FMC.

Archived