To all those moaners saying their results are unrealistic

Anybody watched Paris vs. Ajaccio yesterday? The match stats are unbelievable and still Paris came away only with a 1-1 draw at home after 37(!)-1 shots. I will save this game for future reference for all those users who moan that FM is unrealistic because they dominate but don't win. I know that one result doesn't prove anything about how often that happens in real life (compared to FM) but we know one thing now: These games do happen. So if it is your first game where you're so dominant but don't win, you might have been just unlucky. Come back to the forum and rant if you have 5 of these games a season, then you might have a point... or it could be your tactics :p

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/716938/Live

That's the spectacular thing with FM to be honest.

On other games, players use anecdotal evidence in order to prove the game has something wrong and their complains are dismissed.

Here, players use anecdotal evidence in order to dismiss complains of other players.

Anybody watched Paris vs. Ajaccio yesterday? The match stats are unbelievable and still Paris came away only with a 1-1 draw at home after 37(!)-1 shots. I will save this game for future reference for all those users who moan that FM is unrealistic because they dominate but don't win. I know that one result doesn't prove anything about how often that happens in real life (compared to FM) but we know one thing now: These games do happen. So if it is your first game where you're so dominant but don't win, you might have been just unlucky. Come back to the forum and rant if you have 5 of these games a season, then you might have a point... or it could be your tactics :p

That is the whole point of why people complain about it, not that it happens but that it happens too often.

This sort of thread pops up maybe 2 or 3 times a season and shows that it happened in a real game, I think just about everyone would accept it in the game if it happened a couple of times a season.

The point is it can and does happen to regularly in the game to be in line with how often it happens in real life.

That is the whole point of why people complain about it, not that it happens but that it happens too often.

This sort of thread pops up maybe 2 or 3 times a season and shows that it happened in a real game, I think just about everyone would accept it in the game if it happened a couple of times a season.

The point is it can and does happen to regularly in the game to be in line with how often it happens in real life.

But it doesn't happen that often to everyone. Why does it happen to some people, and pretty much never to others. If how the game works is the same for everyone, then the major variables comes down to the users and how they play the game. Which is how it's turned out time and time again.

The difference being that managers in real life will (usually) do things to change it, not stamp their feet in a huff demanding that SI fix something that isn't broken.

Managers in real life don't change things by moving a slider that gives zero explanation over what it does though and then pray that their players do what they want. It's more of a discussion going like "do that, don't do that, focus on that". That's kinda an important difference.

FM14 is supposed to be improving on that part though, but I won't get too excited until I see the changes with my own eyes.

Managers in real life don't change things by moving a slider that gives zero explanation over what it does though and then pray that their players do what they want. It's more of a discussion going like "do that, don't do that, focus on that". That's kinda an important difference.

FM14 is supposed to be improving on that part though, but I won't get too excited until I see the changes with my own eyes.

Users in FM haven't had to do that since FM10 either..

Having poorly explained tools doesn't change the fact that users are far more happy to blame the game than look to improve their tactical understanding.

While obviously not ideal, the information is at least available to those who want to find it. It's just a shame that the good advice is often drowned out by poor advice, making it more difficult to find. Hopefully something SI will be addressing in the future.

I'd hope so, but I have no idea if they're in the process or anything. I'm sure Kriss was looking to do something a while back with it.

Personally I'd prefer it to all be available in-game, though in a different form to their current tutorial/help system, which I just don't like.

Having poorly explained tools doesn't change the fact that users are far more happy to blame the game than look to improve their tactical understanding.

While obviously not ideal, the information is at least available to those who want to find it. It's just a shame that the good advice is often drowned out by poor advice, making it more difficult to find. Hopefully something SI will be addressing in the future.

Explanation over the tools of the game is as much of a part of the game as anything else though, it's not like there is anyone else to blame.

Plus,it has been said over and over again, the more you stick to football logic, the less will you get the results you want.

So we got 1) A game that gives no information.

2) A game that is not extremely loyal to the lines of what it depicts, which means that any exterior information over the subject is useless.

I don't think the user is to be blamed when we combine 1 and 2 to be fair,at least not entirely.

It's been said over and over by people who don't know what they're doing tbh

If you haven't already, read up on wwfan's tactical thoughts for FM13 which does a good job of setting it up properly.

Explanation over the tools of the game is as much of a part of the game as anything else though, it's not like there is anyone else to blame.

Plus,it has been said over and over again, the more you stick to football logic, the less will you get the results you want.

2) A game that is not extremely loyal to the lines of what it depicts, which means that any exterior information over the subject is useless.

I don't think the user is to be blamed when we combine 1 and 2 to be fair,at least not entirely.

Well, that is just not true though is it?

None too shabby either: http://www.theguardian.com/football/match/2013/jun/07/armenia-v-malta

And I personally don't mean that as an attempt to nullify all criticism aimed at the game (or its inexcusably bad official documentation), mind. And then how many players know and notice that the game simulates teams growing frustrated when they're encouraged to go all battle-ram and risk against teams sitting deep and keeping it tight, frequently taking pot shots and missing chances, for instance? And that the other team grows in confidence whilst lasting this all? That's something you don't expect something as "simple" as a "video game" to do. People look at the shot count and think 30+ to be fantatsic, when it can be horrid depending on context (30 shots and still no goal!).

I'll never forget the CL final of 2012, the penultimate exercise in frustration on that level, provided you were supporting Bayern anyways. :-P

There is information. Sure it could be better. In some areas in could be a LOT better. From reading what happens on this forum, it seems that the user does not know what to do with the information.

Also, IRL these results will be rarer than FM. Real life has more competent managers :p

Also, IRL these results will be rarer than FM. Real life has more competent managers :p

Depends on the country we're talking about. :rolleyes::D

Which would be a good thing to be reflected in game at some point. I wouldn't expect managers outside of the top 5 leagues to be competent enough to keep their team winning for years and years. Would be cool seeing some teams fall in grace due to poor management, but right now, reputation is a bit too strong and that rarely happens. (even though I've seen it happen sometimes. Lazio in C1 anyone?)

Archived