Network Game woefully neglected again

1002 Hours logged so feel qualified to give constructive feedback now what is frankly in my book the worst FM13 for network play in a few years.

Holiday settings, the biggest and probably one of the most important aspects of online play and hosting, and it doesn't work. Its been highlighted numerous times.

Basically any instruction left is ignored by the AI, tactics to use, players to use if avail. It does not retain your settings and reverts to default tactics. This sounds quite minor and will probably as usual be dismissed or forgotten, but anyone that plays in a regular online game will know and empathise with what i'm saying and fully understand,

seasons can be lost, jobs can be lost. You either cater for what is becoming a growing base of on-line players on steam or you just take it out the game because atm its half baked and pretty poor.

if you are playing as part of a large clan game you can be late for sessions, sometimes miss them, this is where holiday settings are used and this is where the it is completely flawed

Im currently playing one with two other friends and we have clocked over ten days game time without any problems at all. Why would you be holidaying games?

So because you personally don't use a feature, others should accept its flaws?

I tried to play a network game once with a fellow fm-mate.

When we played a match against eachother the game played out 2 different matches.

2 different results. 2 different weather conditions. Different ratings. Nothing was the same. There was also an incredible amount of lag. The entire application even froze to a halt several times; so it took forever completing the match.

Never tried it again.

Now, this wasn't too long after the game had been released so they might have fixed those problems.

Did raise the issues in the bug forums but i never returned there as i never played network again.

Might've been fixed but it was more than enough to make me stay away.

Although i have not experienced the issue the OP is talking about as we only play our online game when all 3 of us are available, he is correct in that the online game has been neglected.

When FM13 was released the online game was unplayable, only the machine acting as the server was able to buy players/staff, to view finances, able to set up scouting assignments. The first 2 sessions me and the other 2 people playing our online game spent pretty much the entire time raising bugs in the online bug forum. Eventually most of the issues have been fixed but there is still some horrible lag when playing online, this is not a broadband issue as we all live close enough to meet up and play so are all sharing the same router.

If during a game someone is searching players the game will freeze as the search list is updated with new filters, going into finances on a non server machine is horribly slow to open but at least it opens now, there are many other issues and it is very disappointing as when the game was released the fact that it was now using the steam servers for online play was a big selling point.

It is a lot better than it was on release day but still a long way from playing a single player game. Maybe an idea this year would be to release a beta with the network game enabled so that we can spend time debugging the game before it is released.

I guess that SI have concentrated on other features and don't see the network play as the most important feature. I kind of agree, but I do feel for those who regularly use network games, as it's pulling you away from buying future games understandably, and it can't be fun. Personally I haven't played a network game since CM when one of my friends had a complete meltdown and refused to play again.

• Administrators

It's a shame people are encountering issues with the network side of things. It is an area that is difficult to test as thoroughly there are so many people with so many different configurations/setups running with different anti-viruses/firewalls and conflicting programs. I think playing FM against real opponents is one of, if not THE most satisfying way to play the game, so for it to not work or crash for even a small proportion of our users is obviously not ideal. With the feedback from users in the bugs forum we managed to iron out a number of issues where most users seemingly can play without problems. However I think for any future version we'd look to perhaps expand our testing process to include more external testers playing in different scenarios (with different AV's, cross-platform, differing regular connectors etc) to allow us to narrow down these kind of issues from an early stage.

And of course if you're still encountering issues with FM13 please do try and raise it on our bugs forum so we can investigate. Thanks.

Can anyone confirm the success rate of playing a network game with an edited database? Have always played with a default db over the last few versions as I always ran into problems after editing.

Specifically regarding issues such as ghost news for the non-host sometimes leading to an inability to continue, irregularities with the names of edited teams/players such as <</player-1%> or however it appears.

I can back up Neil Brock in saying that playing FM against other human players TOTALLY takes the game to a new level of fun. Anybody who hasn't tried it should!

I struggle to play FM single player, it is much more of a challenge when you play against your friends as you are playing for bragging rights!

I haven't played much MP lately but I would say that FM13 was a vast improvement on past games - I would disagree that it has been neglected. If anyone feels that there is something missing then just tell SI what the problem is - the sooner the better. Now is probably too late for FM14 as it will be under development and all planned features are likely to be locked to ensure the game development stays focused.

It's a shame people are encountering issues with the network side of things. It is an area that is difficult to test as thoroughly there are so many people with so many different configurations/setups running with different anti-viruses/firewalls and conflicting programs. I think playing FM against real opponents is one of, if not THE most satisfying way to play the game, so for it to not work or crash for even a small proportion of our users is obviously not ideal. With the feedback from users in the bugs forum we managed to iron out a number of issues where most users seemingly can play without problems. However I think for any future version we'd look to perhaps expand our testing process to include more external testers playing in different scenarios (with different AV's, cross-platform, differing regular connectors etc) to allow us to narrow down these kind of issues from an early stage.

And of course if you're still encountering issues with FM13 please do try and raise it on our bugs forum so we can investigate. Thanks.

Neil i appreciate the feedback but its not about personal specs software or configurations its about something thats not coded right with in the game, i was maybe a bit unfair with my original opening post. One positive thing is the overall game stability even for players with lagging net conns the game is much more stabler than fm12. Its the playability side i'm talking about, when you are play a large scale compettive network game your Holiday settings are up there as one of the most important aspects of the online game, for it to not to work is a travesty. To repeat the error "holiday settings will not retain ticked tactics or team selections, reverting to Ai default tactics" This problem is encountered by all who play network play, i am highlighting it. Its been highlighted numerous times in the bug forum, the problem being there were other online game stopping bugs needing fixed first which i accept, and this wasn't deemed essential i assume. Anyway i'm highlighting this now so perhaps FM14 will have this sorted.

Archived