Turkmenistan 2 v 1 Ghana Nigeria 1 v 1 Spain

Table Table

1. Argentina +3 9 1. Sweden +3 7

2. Turkmenistan +1 6 2. Colombia 0 4

---------------------- -----------------

3. Switzerland -1 3 3. Spain 0 3

4. Ghana -3 0 4. Nigeria -3 1

</pre>

Holland progress over Paraguay I think because Paraguay had more red cards than Holland during the group stage! (Both sides had same points, goal difference, goals scored, drew against each other, both had 3 yellow cards but Paraguay had 2 red cards whilst Holland had zero. Either that or Holland have a higher world ranking – either way its gone right down to some petty deciding criteria!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Also noticeable is that four of the major footballing nations - Czech Rep, France, Italy and Spain - have all been knocked out in the group stages, thus opening the door for lesser nations to capitalise on. Can Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan make the most of this?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SJ234:

i dont want to go to luton icon13.gif

we are through without de santiago starting icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why - what's wrong with Luton?! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Don't worry, during the group stages Fenerbahce made a £3.5million bid for you, which was accepted by Inter and De Santiago swiftly agreed terms. So don't worry, your not off to Luton!

World Cup 2014 Review - Part Four

Knockout Stages Draw

2nd Round

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Turkey v Brazil

Israel v USA

Mexico v Kyrgyzstan

Denmark v England

Portugal v Holland

Germany v Chile

Argentina v Colombia

Sweden v Turkmenistan

</pre>

Quarter Finals

Game 1: Turkey / Brazil v Denmark / England

Game 2: Israel / USA v Mexico / Kyrgyzstan

Game 3: Portugal / Holland v Sweden / Turkmenistan

Game 4: Germany / Chile v Argentina / Colombia

</pre>

Semi Finals

Winner Game 1 v Winner Game 4

Winner Game 2 v Winner Game 3

So Kyrgyzstan (ranked 11th in the world) face Mexico (ranked 10th in the world) in the 2nd Round, where either team could win and looking ahead to their prospective Q-Finals opponent, both teams will see it as a chance to go far in the competition.

Turkmenistan (ranked 31st in the world) face Sweden in the 2nd Round (ranked 14th in the world), which will not be an easy task but Turkmenistan have just started to play well and could be hitting form at just the right time. A potential Q-Final match against either Portugal or Holland will not be easy if they make it that far.

Updates on the Knockout Stages to come throughout the afternoon / evening. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coldkohmew:

Possible final for the stans???

I doubt so at the moment... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say nigh on impossible as if they progress that far, they are due to meet in the Semis! icon_biggrin.gif

World Cup 2014 Review - Part Five

2nd Round

Mexico 2 v 0 Kyrgyzstan

Kyrgyzstan Player Stats

Alan leads the side out for the 2nd Round match against Mexico. It’s the same 11 superstars as per the last 3 games, lining up in a 4-4-2 formation. Mexico also line up in a 4-4-2 formation.

An even start to the gain with both sides creating half-chances. Mexico opened the scoring just before the half hour mark, playing the ball across the 18 yard box until Vazquez was left with an open goal. His shot towards goal was almost stopped by Benj tracking back, but his clearance ended up in the net itself and somewhat harshly goes down as an O.G. 1-0

2 minutes later and it gets even worse for Kyrgyzstan, Vazquez curling in a 25 yard freekick past Lui to double the lead. 2-0.

It now seemed important that Kyrgyzstan try and get a goal back before halftime and they almost did so, Benj being played through to be one-on-one with Ochoa, the keeper saves well.

The second half was frustrating for Kyrgyzstan, as they just couldn’t seem to dominate Mexico. The frustration showed in the last couple of minutes when sub Azeryk lashed out at a Mexican defender and was sent off.

Sweden 0 v 1 Turkmenistan

Turkmenistan Player Stats

Selim Atas leads the team out, with 9 superstars in the starting line-up. Playing in a 3-5-2 formation, Turkus Mendieta is the only new addition, coming in for the suspended Hermandinho. Sweden line up in a 4-4-2 formation.

Turkmenistan take the lead after 19 minutes, Rhys Davies with a long free-kick, a poor header from a Swedish defender leaves Gonzalez in the clear and he finishes well into the far post. 0-1

The rest of the half is fairly even, producing no further goals.

Sweden miss an absolute sitter right at the start of the second half.

Sweden get into a bigger pickle after 68 minutes, Karl Svensson chopping down Gonzalez on the edge of the Swedish area, collecting a red card for his misdemeanour.

With 3 minutes to go in the game, Sweden win a corner. Up comes their keeper but the ball is headed away to Peter Slater who looks up and tries an ambitious shot into an empty net from the halfway line. The ball goes narrowly wide of the left post.

Sweden just turn to whacking the ball forward in injury time, but Turkus Mendieta is a rock and sweeps up any danger. The match ends and Turkus Mendieta wins the MOM award for his performance at the back, but will he keep his palce for the Q Finals with Hermandinho due back from suspension?!

Overview

Turkey 0 v 0 Brazil – Brazil win 3-1 on penalties

Israel 1 v 2 USA

Denmark 1 v 0 England

Mexico 2 v 0 Kyrgyzstan

Germany 0 v 2 Chile

Portugal 4 v 1 Holland

Sweden 0 v 1 Turkmenistan

Argentina 2 v 1 Colombia

</pre>

Quarter Final Draw

Brazil v Denmark

Argentina v Chile

USA v Mexico

Portugal v Turkmenistan

</pre>

So Kyrgyzstan fall at the 2nd Round, going 1 stage further than in 2010. However, it does mean that in 2018, when the superstars would turn 29 during the tournament is their one remaining shot at greatness.

Turkmenistan also go one stage further than their 2nd Round defeat to Australia back in 2010, but with Portugal up next and in ominous form after their demolition of Holland, it could be a very tough game indeed!

Not that anything is predictable after the 2nd round matches, but you would have to fancy a tasty Brazil v Argentina semi final. In the other half of the draw, if Turkmenistan could squeeze past Portugal, then Mexico will be a challenge (or the USA for that after their 4-0 win over Italy earlier in the tournament), but neither of those 2 nations are top top class sides.

What's Hermandinho doing at Napoli? I thought he was happy in Madrid...

But then again, Napoli seems to have established itself as a contender for top spot in the Serie A these days, and he's playing well there.

Also great showings in the world cup, though the sending off was unfortunate...

World Cup 2014 Review - Part Six

Quarter Finals

Portugal 4 v 0 Turkmenistan

Turkmenistan Player Stats

Selim Atas leads out his teammates, with Hermandinho being reinstored in favour of Turkus Mendieta at the back. The rest of the team is unchanged in their 3-5-2 formation. Portugal line up in a 4-1-3-2 formation, with Cristiano Ronaldo playing upfront with Ricardo Vaz Te.

Terrible start for Turkmenistan as Ricardo Vaz Te reacts quickest to a cross in from the right and slides it past Rhys Davies to give Portugal the lead in just the 3rd minute. 1-0

Gonzalez goes close for Turkmenistan with a header, but after 25 minutes the writing looks to be on the wall for the Turkmeni, with Fernandes rifling in a spectacular volley from the edge of the area into the top corner. 2-0

It really is all over for Turkmenistan after 41 minutes, Moutinho finding the net from 25 yards. Portugal seem to be exploiting Turkmenistan’s weak links – the 2 –non-superstars’ in their line-up. 3-0

It’s just getting a tad embarrassing now for Turkmenistan, Moutinho picks the ball up 30 yards out, takes a stride forward before unleashing another unstoppable shot into the top corner after just 49 minutes. In fairness, Portugal have scored some absolute belters of goals, but the scoreline can never lie, 4-0

Pablo Gonzalez is subbed after 66 minutes and is furious with his manager for getting benched, a sign of frustration throughout the team.

The Turkmenistan manager obviously has poor ability when it comes to using subs, he takes off a further 2 superstars and replaces them with non-superstars, leaving Turkmenistan to face the last 15 minutes with only 7 superstars on the pitch.

Overview

Brazil 3 v 2 Denmark

Argentina 2 v 1 Chile

USA 0 v 1 Mexico

Portugal 4 v 0 Turkmenistan

</pre>

Semi Final Draw

Brazil v Argentina

Mexico v Portugal

</pre>

So it seems as if it was just one step too far for Turkmenistan, as they were outclassed by a Portuguese side on fire after their 4-1 dispatching of Holland in the second round.

Take your pick out of those 4 teams as to who wins it, although Portugal do look quite good at the moment.

World Cup 2014 Review - Part Six

Semi Final & Final

Semi Finals

Brazil 0 v 0 Argentina

Brazil win 5-4 on penalties to progress to the Final of the World Cup where they will hope to retain their trophy.

Mexico 4 v 3 Portugal

If the first semi final was tense and lack goals, then this game made up for it - a belter of a game with Mexico coming out the victors in the end.

3rd / 4th Place Playoff

Argentina 1 v 1 Portugal

Portugal win 4-2 on penalties to secure 3rd place at this years World Cup.

World Cup Final

Brazil 2 v 0 Mexico

Player Ratings

Brazil were always on top after scoring an early goal and never looked back. Brazil retained their trophy and will look to complete an unprecedented hat-trick of trophies in 2018.

The Aftermath

Kyrgyzstan Int Caps

Turkmenistan Int Caps

World Rankings July 2014

Brazil maintain their position at the top of the rankings.

Kyrgyzstan fall quite dramatically and Turkmenistan rise substantially, to crown Turkmenistan as the highest ranking 'stan' nation at the moment.

icon_rolleyes.gif Sigh, I should really read ahead more.

At least I can take solace in knowing I was right about Ochoa. But how come I appear to have been dropped from the Starting 11? I think I should demand a place in the first team the next time around!

Ah Brazil v Mexico. My most expensive young signing (Ochoa) vs the home of my 3rd most expensive (Breno). I would have much rather seen Mexico take it. icon_frown.gif

• 3 months later...

Coming Soon....

The Commentator's Curse: Volume 1 - What really happened next?!

Yes, coming over the Easter Weekend is the update all you old Kyrgyzstan & Turkmenistan faithful had been secretly hoping for - an update on what happened post the World Cup 2014. icon_wink.gif

Did the nations strike gold at future World Cups and gain the ultimate glory?

Did the 2 nations dominate Asia for the next decade?

What happened to those Wonderkids, did they turn into global superstars?

Did anyone go into management after they stopped playing and become legends of the tactical game?

I will be analysing both the nations, but anyone who wishes to know what happened to their player after the 2014 World Cup, please put your name below and I will produce a run down of your career over the next decade. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walcott's Wonderkids:

Yeah, was reading back over this a short while ago and thought I'd load up FM07 and see what would happen if I left the game running overnight (not much as it happens as the game ran blooming slowly! icon_wink.gif ), so I've now run the game up to 2020 and over the next week and a bit I should have had it done to around retirement age. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quality can't wait. Also dont bother if its too late but a screen shot of the players in their prime would be gold, just to see gonzalez at his best would make what ever day i saw it

Elfdog, did I ever get out of the shadows and into the light of day on a team that allowed me to start????

Been thinking of making a combo of two of my favorite 07 signups and combining them for myself in 08. But that has been placed on hold for my other little project right now, lol

This will be awesome to see what happens to us all.

peace

List of players for updates on 'What Happened Next'

Kyrgyzstan

Alan

Bill

David Frketic

Prof Frink

Elfdog

Ryan

David Frketic

Zuvonamin Lui (me)

Turkmenistan

Pablo Gonzalez

Turkus Mendieta

Ghoolbi Dumats

Hermandinho

Nice to see more Kyrgyzstani's wanting updates! icon_wink.gif

Will write the updates this evening and post them up tomorrow hopefully. icon14.gif

Player screenshots will be given when they are at 31 (current age), so stats are probably just past their peak.

Anyone else wanting an update, speak now or never. icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SJ234:

i would like to know what hapened to alvaro

i hope im not to late </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No not at all, you might have to miss out on one of the screenshots but I can add you onto the list. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeeWee:

Not to be nagging you or anything, but any idea on the timing of your next updates? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never mind. I just saw your post several posts upstream... duh.. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeeWee:

Not to be nagging you or anything, but any idea on the timing of your next updates? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never mind. I just saw your post several posts upstream... duh.. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should think some time over the weekend... as long as I'm not selected to play cricket Sat and Sun. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">as long as I'm not selected to play cricket Sat and Sun. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got your priorities right icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

How's the cricket? icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, was very good thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

Very apt timing as it happens, as I have that game open on my desktop pc and it is currently ever so slowly churning through the 2022/23 season. icon_cool.gif

I plan to take a profile pic again in Jan 2023 (to compare with Jan 2021 pics), by which time you will all be 33.5 yrs old.

Once that's done I will post up everything I know so far, which will either be this evening or tomorrow depending on how slow it takes to process. icon14.gif

Archived