[FM13] Travelling to Wembley in a Coach & Horses

chile_paul

Bit surprised to come in and see you midtable after the raving success of previous seasons, nevertheless still a strong season for a promoted club and it looks like results are improving on top of it.

Regarding home/away I can only repeat the comments of previous people, for a start I'd do what you're already doing and switch to more cautious settings, but it may well be that the rest of your settings just don't suit cageyness. I'm experiencing a bit of this in Argentina at the moment, it's FM12 and I play a narrow 4-3-1-2 so completely different to what you're doing, but my team shape is awful without the ball so my only chance is going for it with Control strategy and "Press More" every single game, easy or hard, and it's working better this way. When I try to go Counter I usually have to completely change formation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bit surprised to come in and see you midtable after the raving success of previous seasons, nevertheless still a strong season for a promoted club and it looks like results are improving on top of it.

Regarding home/away I can only repeat the comments of previous people, for a start I'd do what you're already doing and switch to more cautious settings, but it may well be that the rest of your settings just don't suit cageyness. I'm experiencing a bit of this in Argentina at the moment, it's FM12 and I play a narrow 4-3-1-2 so completely different to what you're doing, but my team shape is awful without the ball so my only chance is going for it with Control strategy and "Press More" every single game, easy or hard, and it's working better this way. When I try to go Counter I usually have to completely change formation.

Definitely finding it tougher this season than in previous years - form is improving however and everybody's advice on Away tactics may be starting to bear some fruit......

A couple of notable landmarks, firstly Ben Turner hits a notable landmark - I thought he'd struggle to retain his place in the first team this season but he's really stepped up to the mark after a dodgy few matches.

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-2-8.png

Finally, legendary (in my eyes at least) striker Matt Haddrell confirmed his intention to retire at the end of the season - I can't be too upset as I've already had an extra year out of him than I originally expected - but he's still got what it takes as far as I'm concerned, keep an eye out for the performance against Swindon in my next monthly update!

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-19.png

The month started well with a strong performance against Cambridge United to maintain our really strong run at home - revenge over the side who put 6 past us early in the season was particularly sweet.

Our away form has always been our achille's heel however and following feedback from the community I employed a similar tactic but with considerably more pressing and hassling of the opposition - it didn't pay immediate dividends as we fell 3-0 down against Fleetwood Town - however we played well and conceeded all 3 of their shots on target, a late consolation goal gave me confidence and we retained the tactic in the next away match against Braintree Town and this time it paid off - a comfortable 2-0 victory to give us our first away win of the season.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-3-5.png

Our recent good form has seen us establish ourselves comfortably in mid table with a nice cushion between us and the relegation spaces. Harrogate Town are putting a burn on having been promoted with me last season, bottom of the table by quite some way for the first couple of months, they're making a real effort to catch me up.

BlueSquareBetPremier_OverviewStages-5.png

In the FA Cup we faced the biggest match of our recent history with a home tie against League 1 Swindon Town stopping us from a place in the 3rd round. We played well for the first 30 minutes and I was confident that we should be able to at least hold out for a draw and things looked even better when they had a player sent off mid way through the first half - however they rallied and just before half time they took the lead. We continued to play well into the second half, but it was the crucial substitution of Matt Haddrell that made the difference, the ageing striker using all his years of experience to score 2 in 3 minutes!

The third round draw has matched us up at home to Championship side Nottingham Forest, a shame not to get the away tie against one of the big boys which would have really boosted our coffers - but that performance against Swindon just makes me think we might be in with an outside chance?

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-18.png

Another comfortable, if un-inspiring home win in the FA Trophy takes us into the 3rd round where the draw computer has been favourable once again giving us a 6the consecutive home draw in all cup competitions this season.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-2-9.png

just read through your career. love it. i was brought up in Dronfield and hae been to watch Sheffield FC a few times. lovely little ground down there. tried something a bit similar on last years game so will look forward to seeing this develop further....

Well done, comfortable mid table it looks. Great FA Cup run and hopefully you can do well in the FA Trophy. Even more impressive considering the average age of your squad is 74. Remember to remind your physiotherapists the signs of a stroke. :D

I could start to take this personally you know, I'll have you know that my squad average age is only 25, just one above the league average of 24. The depressing fact is that most of them are younger than me :(

Very good month mate, slowly but surely moving up the table

Cheers mate - mid table obscurity will do me just fine this season!

just read through your career. love it. i was brought up in Dronfield and hae been to watch Sheffield FC a few times. lovely little ground down there. tried something a bit similar on last years game so will look forward to seeing this develop further....

Fantastic - great to have a new follower and a local one at that. I'm hoping that with the dynasty I'm going to build, Dronfield will soon be unrecognisable!!

Another of my OAP's announces their intention to retire at the end of the season - he cites undue criticism and jokes about his age from fans and Sigames forumites as one of the major factors behind his decision to call it a day ;)

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-20.png

A quiet and mixed month in the Blue Square Premier as our attentions switched to our cup obligations. We started out with a very poor performance that really knocked our previously impressive home form against play off challengers Kidderminster Harriers - we only managed 4 shots on goal, none of which challenged their keeper as they romped home to a 3-0 victory.

We improved in our next game away at Stalybridge Celtic, although had to rely on an 89th minute equaliser to snatch a point before finishing the month with a pleasing win over Dartford thanks to 2 goals from our old stalwart up front Matt Haddrell.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-19.png

Now sitting comfortably in mid-table, a gap is starting to build between the bottom 5 and the rest. I don't think relegation is a concern but we could still easily slip into the bottom half. Forest Green Rovers are starting to stretch their lead and look favourites for automatic promotion.

BlueSquareBetPremier_OverviewStages-6.png

Alas our dream of progressing in the FA Cup wasn't to be - despite outplaying Nottingham Forest for much of the game, dominating possession and having more shots on goal they managed to sneak a goal just before half time with Dexter Blackstock beating Brad Friedel to a high cross and we were unable to find a route through to respond. Despite being disappointed to go out in this way, I'm delighted in the performance that we put in - a very satisfying FA Cup campaign

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-3-6.png

Our FA Trophy campaign also came to a close - a good win against Stalybridge Celtic put us into the Quarter Finals with our first away tie of the competition against Chester - we earnt a really good draw away from home and could have won the tie in the replay - but with the scores all level we headed to the dreaded penalty shoot out. On paper I had far the better penalty takers, but penalties really are a lottery and we fell short.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-2-10.png

A really, really poor month which recovered slightly in the last game - 3 defeats in a row is my worst run in quite a long time and looking back over the last couple of months I'm getting worried despite still being 10 points clear of relegation. The defeat at home to Basingstoke who are propping up the base of the table was particularly galling as our defence just opened right up to let Sam-Yorke score 4 times.

We recovered well in our final game to record a strong victory against Aldershot Town, but I have to say I was pleased to see my next match at home to 2nd placed Newport County be postponed to give the team more time to recover and spend some time on the training ground sorting out what has been going wrong - we've got some tought ties coming up!

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-4-2.png

BlueSquareBetPremier_OverviewStages-2-1.png

For the first time I get a player who has a remote chance of making it into the first team, but with 2 stars of potential ability I can only see Ryan Steggles ever making a supporting role. Nice to see the impact of improved youth recruitment network kicking in however - out of 16 players I've got 15 from Dronfield and 1 from Leeds!

Nathan Fletcher may have some potential, at least to be better than his 1 and a half star prediction suggests and Des Arangey's high stats in pace and acceleration also earn him a shot at the big time - unfortunately for both of them I always seem to be offerred young strikers with plenty of potential so I'm not sure how they're going to make it into the first team.

I was also particularly impressed by Dave Riley, who picked up an injury which has ruled him out for 2 weeks on the very day the youth intake was announced.

SheffieldFCYouthCandidates_SquadPlayers-1.png

Neil Lennon officially became recognised the most successful Northern Irish manager in history, overtaking Martin O'Neill. If he stays in the Celtic job I fully expect him to build a commanding position at the top of these rankings!

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-21.png

We were looking at a long and uphill battle in March with 7 matches in total, 5 of which were against teams who were in the top 6 at the time we played them - 3 of whom are still fighting it out for the play-off places. Given our poor run of form since Christmas in the league I really wasn't expecting much at all.

After a quite respectable away draw against Hereford, we went out and destroyed the league's second placed team in some quite awful conditions at the Coach & Horses ground - Newport County really failed to adapt to the conditions and we really made them pay. I was disappointed not to follow this up with another win against Harrogate, in a really open end to end game I was amazed that nobody managed to find the back of the net and was especially disappointed when they were reduced to 10 men after 60 minutes following a red card.

We bounced back with a strong win away to Barnet, but finally our mini revival of form was ended by league leaders Forest Green Rovers - a last minute shot that fired against the post from Scott Dunlop would have made a very different story though.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-20.png

Safely now in mid-table with our future secure in the Blue Square Premier I'm just eyeing up the teams a few places above us in the league to try and get a slightly more respectable position.

BlueSquareBetPremier_OverviewStages-7.png

A fantastic end to the season with 2 strong away wins including a win against Chester which prevented them from reaching the play-off's. It was just a shame in the game against already relegated Billericay that Matt Haddrell's 2 goals were both disallowed on his final game for the club

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-21.png

It's just typical thay Trystan Smith (who has had a stunning first season for us) just managed to claim his goal bonus in the final game of the season - that's effectively just doubled the fee that we paid for him last season, but it was well worth the money!

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-22.png

14th position was confirmed with that final win of the season and I'm very proud of that performance - we've also finished higher than any other promoted side from last season

BlueSquareBetPremier_OverviewStages-8.png

Unfortunately next season we're going to be playing without this man...... he will still be in the dug out in a coaching role however.

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-2-10.png

A deserved award for the youngster, I had to settle for finishing as runner up in the manager of the month award though

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-23.png

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-2-11.png

My performances this season have kept the board happy enough and they've asked me to stay on for another year

PaulScholey_NewsInbox-3-4.png

Football is a harsh world, one day Pardew is celebrating retaining the FA Cup with Man City, the next he's on his bike for having failed to make a Champions League spot - there are a number of Premier League managers irl at the moment who might want to take note!!

PaulScholey_NewsInbox.png

200px-Sheffield_FC_svg.png

Chile_Paul's Career - Season Review - 2015/16 - Sheffield FC

Well this was a bit of a come down after 3 consecutive seasons of promotion, but we had fully expected that the competition at this level of the footballing pyramid against professional football clubs was going to be much, much tougher. We really struggled away from home in the first half of the season, but at the Coach & Horses ground we were virtually unplayable - having the second best record in the league at one point. A dodgy spell after Christmas dented our hopes of a top half finish, but a decent run in the last couple of months of the season at least gives me hope for next season

Competition Performance: 4th Round

I was really pleased with the teams performances in this competition - helped out by a friendly set of home draws we progressed well and following an away draw to promotion chasing Chester I was hopeful we might scratch a result - even more so when the game went to penalties. But alas, penalty shoot out's are always a lottery and we fell at that hurdle. Chester went on to contest the final at Wembley - next season we'll be there........

Competition Performance: 3rd Round

An absolutely fantastic performance and we came so close to forcing Nottigham Forest into a money spinning replay. Beating Swindon Town was undoubtedly the highlight of a fantastic run.

The squad is weak in a number of areas and really needs some work next season. I'm more than happy with my strikeforce even with the retirement of Matt Haddrell, I've got some choice in the centre of midfield albeit without any real creative talent and I've got Brad Friedel in between the sticks for another season. Every other position needs strengthening however to allow us to push on next season.

-
-

The finances are definitely looking healthier after some improved gate receipts and a good run in the cup last season. The board seem happy enough with my performance although I anticipate that they will want to see some improvement next year.

My Top 3 Players

- What a bargain last season at only £5k. Trystan was the top scorer last season with 20 goals (which he was paid handsomely for) and is more than capable of replacing Matt Haddrell as my Target Man

- Haydn joined on loan from Notts County and formed an absolute rock in defence. We're going to sorely miss him next season unless he can be persuaded to join us when his Notts County contract expires

- a really tough call for third place which could so easily have gone to Scott Dunlop or Joey Jones, but I have to recognise Matt's continued strong performances for a thrid year after he notched up 57 goals in 112 performances.

What's Next?

I'll be targetting a challenge for the play-off places next season reinforced by another run to the 3rd round of the FA Cup

World Awards

2015 - World Team of the Year

2012 World Player of the Year - 1st Lionel Messi 2nd Xavi 3rd Cristiano Ronaldo

2013 World Player of the Year - 1st Lionel Messi 2nd Cristiano Ronaldo 3rd Eden Hazard

2014 World Player of the Year - 1st Lionel Messi 2nd Gerard Pique 3rd Juan

2015 World Player of the Year - 1st Cristiano Ronaldo 2nd Lionel Messi 3rd Neymar

European Awards

2015/16 Best Player in Europe - 1st Toni Kroos 2nd Neymar 3rd Lionel Messi

2015/16 European Golden Boy - Lazar Markovic

2015/16 European Golden Boot - 1st Fernando Llorente 2nd Rasmus Jonsson 3rd Baba

English Awards

2015/16 Manager of the Year - 1st Josep Guardiola 2nd Pasquale Marino 3rd Rafa Benitez

2015/16 Golden Glove - 1st Wojciech Szczesny 2nd Tim Krul 3rd Hugo Lloris

2015/16 Footballer of the Year - Eden Hazard

2015/16 Players' Player of the Year - Olivier Giroud

2015/16 Players' Team of the Year

2015/16 Players' Young Player of the Year - 1st Neymar 2nd Jack Wilshere 3rd Erick Torres

I think he's 45 now without going to check. He's announced his retirement at the end of next season so I'll need a replacement sooner rather than later. I need improvements at right and left back, a strong centre back to partner Joey Jones, a replacement for Andy Hall in right midfield and some competition for Jack Waddle on the left wing!

What went on Elsewhere?

English Premier League

2012/13 - 1st Arsenal 2nd Man United 3rd Newcastle Utd 4th Tottenham - Relegated Wigan, Southampton, Norwich

2013/14 - 1st Man United 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man City 4th Arsenal - Relegated Leicester City, Everton, QPR

2014/15 - 1st Chelsea 2nd Man Utd 3rd Man City 4th Stoke City - Relegated Wolves, Blackburn, Milwall

2015/16 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Arsenal 3rd Newcastle Utd 4th Chelsea - Relegated Swansea City, Wigan, Bolton

FA Cup

2012/13 - Winners QPR Runners-Up West Brom

2013/14 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up Leicester City

2014/15 - Winners Man City Runners-Up West Brom

2015/16 - Winners Man City Runners-Up Blackpool

League Cup

2012/13 - Winners Reading Runners-Up Bolton

2013/14 - Winners Man United Runners-Up Arsenal

2014/15 - Winners Man United Runners-Up Reading

2015/16 - Winners Swansea City Runners-Up Everton

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Liga BBVA

2012/13 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Valencia 4th Getafe - Relegated Espanyol, Real Valladolid, Osasuna

2013/14 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Valencia 3rd Barcelona 4th Real Zaragoza - Relegated Rayo Vallecano, Celta Vigo, Deportivo de la Coruna

2014/15 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Valencia 4th Sevilla - Relegated Sporting Gijon, RCD Mallorca, Numancia

2015/16 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Valencia 4th Sevilla - Relegated Racing Club Santander, Osasuna, Alaves

Copa del Rey

2012/13 - Winners Valencia Runners-Up Real Madrid

2013/14 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Real Madrid

2014/15 - Winners Real Madrid Runners-Up Real Betis

2015/16 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Zaragoza

Serie A TIM

2012/13 - 1st Juventus 2nd Fiorentina 3rd Napoli 4th AC Milan - Relegated Torino, Pescara, AC Siena

2013/14 - 1st Juventus 2nd AC Milan 3rd Fiorentina 4th AS Roma - Relegated Udinese, Chievo Verona, Sampdoria

2014/15 - 1st Juventus 2nd Fiorentina 3rd AS Roma 4th Parma - Relegated Empoli, Reggina, Cesena

2015/16 - 1st Juventus 2nd Napoli 3rd Inter Milan 4th Parma - Relegated Spezia, Chievo Verona, Atalanta

TIM Cup

2012/13 - Winners Juventus Runners-Up Napoli

2013/14 - Winners Cagliari Runners-Up Udinese

2014/15 - Winners AC Milan Runners-Up Juventus

2015/16 - Winners Fiorentina Runners-Up Napoli

Bundesliga

2012/13 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Borussia Dortmund 3rd FC Schalke 04 4th Bayer Leverkusen - Relegated Hannover 96, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Werder Bremen

2013/14 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Borussia Dortmund 3rd FC Schalke 04 4th Hamburg - Relegated FSV Mainz, FC Augsburg

2014/15 - 1st Bayer Leverkusen 2nd Bayern Munich 3rd Borussia Monchengladbach 4th Borussia Dortmund - Relegated Hamburg, Hertha Berlin

2015/16 - 1st Bayer Leverkusen 2nd Borussia Dortmund 3rd Bayern Munich 4th FC Schalke 04 - Relegated TSV 1860 Munich, Hannover 96

DFB Pokal

2012/13 - Winners Werder Bremen Runners-Up VfB Stuttgart

2013/14 - Winners Bayer Leverkusen Runners-Up Wolfsburg

2014/15 - Winners SC Freiburg Runners-Up Bayer Leverkusen

2015/16 - Winners Hamburg Runners-Up Eintracht Frankfurt

French Ligue 1

2012/13 - 1st PSG 2nd Marseille 3rd Lille 4th Bordeaux - Relegated Nice, Nancy, Ajaccio

2013/14 - 1st PSG 2nd Marseille 3rd Bordeaux 4th Lille - Relegated Bastia, Nantes, Brest

2014/15 - 1st PSG 2nd Lille 3rd Marseille 4th Lyon - Relegated Ajaccio, Stade Reims, Guingamp

2015/16 - 1st PSG 2nd Lille 3rd Marseille 4th Montpellier Herault - Relegated Clermont Foot 63, Lorient, Brest

Coupe de France

2012/13 - Winners Lille Runners-Up Lyon

2013/14 - Winners Sochaux Runners-Up PSG

2014/15 - Winners Lyon Runners-Up PSG

2015/16 - Winners Lille Runners-Up Vannes

Coupe de la Ligue

2012/13 - Winners PSG Runners-Up Lorient

2013/14 - Winners Nantes Runners-Up PSG

2014/15 - Winners St. Etienne Runners-Up Troyes

2015/16 - Winners Lille Runners-Up Le Havre

Clydesdale Bank Premier League

2012/13 - 1st Celtic 2nd Hearts 3rd Motherwell 4th St. Mirren - Relegated Aberdeen

2013/14 - 1st Celtic 2nd Hearts 3rd Hibernian 4th Motherwell - Relegated St. Johnstone

2014/15 - 1st Celtic 2nd Hearts 3rd Hibernian 4th Motherwell - Relegated Aberdeen

2015/16 - 1st Celtic 2nd Rangers 3rd Hibernian 4th Dundee United - Relegated Dundee

Scottish FA Cup

2012/13 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Ross County

2013/14 - Winners Hearts Runners-Up Celtic

2014/15 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Dundee

2015/16 - Winners Inverness CT Runners-Up Falkirk

Scottish League Cup

2012/13 - Winners St Johnstone Runners-Up Motherwell

2013/14 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Motherwell

2014/15 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Hearts

2015/16 - Winners Ross County Runners-Up Motherwell

Champions League

2012/13 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up FC Schalke 04

2013/14 - Winners Man United Runners-Up Real Madrid

2014/15 - Winners Man United Runners-Up Juventus

2015/16 - Winners Man United Runners-Up Real Madrid

Europa League

2012/13 - Winners Newcastle United Runners-Up Tottenham Hotspur

2013/14 - Winners FC Porto Runners-Up Dynamo Kyiv

2014/15 - Winners FC Porto Runners-Up Galatasary

2015/16 - Winners Stoke City Runners-Up Fenerbahce

World Cup

2014 - Winners Spain Runners-Up France

European Championship

2016 - Winners Netherlands Runners-Up England

My normal round-up of the footballing world, I've tried a number of different ways of summarising the footballing world in this career, but I'm just going back to the method that I used in previous careers on this forum as follows:

• Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel has left his job to lead his nation towards World Cup glory after Joachim Low was sacked following Germany's quarter final exit in the European Championship. Ex Man City manager Alan Pardew is being linked with the vacancy
  • Antonio Conte has been recognised as one of the best ever managers to manage in Italy after leading Juventus to their 5th straight Scudetto. The gap at the top of Serie A appears to be growing under Conte's leadership, having lifted the title on goal difference in 2014/15 the Juventus team led the way by a massive gap of 29 points in 2015/16
  • Having been taken over by Croatian tycoons in 2014, Newcastle United continue to splash the cash in the Premier League. A transfer bounty of £103m on the likes of Phil Jones from Man Utd and Isco from Malaga helped manager Rafa Benitez secure a 3rd placed finish and Champions League football having been pushing Man Utd all the way to the title before falling off in the final few games. Already the Toon Army have invested a further £109m this season on Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona and Yann M'Villa from Liverpool as they continue to strengthen their squad ahead of a Champions League campaign.
  • Pep Guardiola continues to strengthen his claim as the best current manager in world football after leading Manchester United to their 3rd successive Champions League victory and yet another Premier League title. Guardiola is 3rd in the all time standings, hot on the heels of Jose Mourinho who's Real Madrid side have just oicked up a 5th successive title
  • It is Stoke City's Tony Pulis who is perhaps the most surprising managerial name to have picked up a major honour this season however - after successive impressive performances in the Premier League including a 4th place position in 2014/15 the Potter's went on to claim the Europa League title in the 2015/16 season
  • Fernando Toores has managed to sercure a further season playing at the top level - having been released by Chelsea in February 2016 having not played in any of their last 2 seasons, Torres has joined Southampton for one final season as a top flight player
  • Tottenham Hotspur's 19 year old sensation Gordon McManus made a big name for himself at this season European Championship finals. Despite Scotland being knocked out in the group stages of the competition McManus's 5 goals in 3 games was enough to win him the golden boot for the competition and ensure that his reputation sky rocketed to a new high
  • After replacing Diego Simeone in the summer, Liverpool's new manager Laurnet Blanc has been quick to ring the changes - no fewer than 10 first team players have left the club for a combined total of £79m including Lucas Leiva to Real Madrid in a £20m deal with Raheem Sterling and Stewart Downing leaving on free transfers. Rodrigo was the other big name departure, moving to Arsenal in a £20m move to replace Andriy Yarmelenko who has moved from the Emirates to Real Madrid
  • In a surprise bargain basement move Manchester United allowed Robin Van Persie move to rivals Tottenham Hostpur for only £2.45 million. At the age of 33 van Persie is clearly only going to be a short term option, but with such a small transfer fee surely this is a deal that can only go one way?
  • In another surprise transfer move Newcastle United were prepared to all 31 year old Demba Ba to move to Valencia for only £4.4 million and they made the strange move of replacing him with the £6.25 million Mario Ballotelli from Manchester City who had failed to deliver on his potential at Eastlands.

Clearly your FM is inaccurate. Stoke winning under Pulis?

Well done staying up. Shame Billericay went down.

Haha. To be fair I think Pulis is a good manager and Stoke owe him a heck of a lot for keeping them in the Premier League as long as he has.

Haha. To be fair I think Pulis is a good manager and Stoke owe him a heck of a lot for keeping them in the Premier League as long as he has.

You clearly haven't watched them play this season. I know many people who do and most of them say every match is boring.

200px-Sheffield_FC_svg.png

Chile_Paul's Career - Season Preview - 2016/17 - Sheffield FC

Board Expectations:

Blue Square Premier: Mid table

FA Cup: First round

FA Trophy: Second round

My Expectations:

Blue Square Premier: Push for the play-off positions

FA Cup: Third round

FA Trophy: Semi-Finals

Budgets:

Transfer: £25.57k

Wage: £7,490 p/w (Currently spending £7,153)

Balance: £290,551

Friendlies

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-23.png

A really good set of pre-season results including a delightful win over Scottish Premier League side Hibernian!

Transfers - In

Stephen Hunt - Free - In line with my strategy of bringing in older, more experienced players into the side I approached ex Reading player Hunt after he was released from Bristol City. He is a dead ball specialist so I'm hoping he will help to increase our goal tally from set pieces

Stephen Sama - Free - Central defence was a key area for me to strengthen after last seasons loanee Haydn Hollis chose not to sign for us. German born Sama appears to have the potential to take his place, we'll have to wait and see if he can perform

Alex Brister - Free - I'd been chasing Brister all last season, but couldn't afford to sign him. Just before the start of the new season I managed to convince him to join on non-contract terms and will look to sign him permanently if he performs

Luke Adams - Loan - On loan from Derby County, Luke is my second new centre back. He has very good reports and I just hope he can perform whenever he's not being called up to play for the New Zealand national team

Luke Garbett - Loan - One of two loan signing's on the left side of defence Luke will play either at left back, or in his less preferred position of right back

Andy Kellett - Loan - My second loan signing at left back Kellett can also play in left midfield, between these two loan signings I've managed to significantly improve my squads depth and flexibility

Lewis Cooper - Loan - the last of my 4 loan signing's in what I have to say has been some very successful negotiating of the loan market. Cooper won't start every game but has some decent pace on the right wing for when he comes off the bench

Transfers - Out

David Raven left the club on a free transfer after failing to perform last season but immediately found himself a new club in recently relegated Port Vale. Non contract striker Lewis Nuttall left the club on a free (for the second time) after I bought in a few new youngsters to build the reserve team and club favourite Andy Hall departed after I failed to offer him the pay increase that he was after.

Well, we fly back into the Blue Square Premier campaign with an incredibly hectic 7 games in the first 3 weeks - the draw computer had not been kind to us on this occassion and we faced both of the recently relegated league teams away from home within the first 3 weeks. Luckily in between and just after these games I was due to face two of the teams likely to be fighting to avoid relegation at the end of the season - so I was aiming to avoid a long winless run and at least make sure that I picked up 4 points from the 2 games where I felt I would face a chance.

In reality I feel quite hard done to by only getting 6 points from the first 4 games, we completely dominated both Basingstoke and Dartford. Despite having to give debuts to 2 of my youth team strikers, both of whom scored, we put 4 past Dartford. Turnbull Bain (what a name!) and Jack Sharp had been bought during the summer and my expectation was to loan them out this season, but they both really shone when given their chance after injuries to both Smith and Dunlop. Against the 2 recently relegated teams, Port Vale and Accrington Stanley, we performed admirably but in both games conceeded late goals in the final 10 minutes to sacrifice the point.

After another good result against Hereford United, form dropped off slightly with a disappointing defeat at home to Aldershot Town before a decent draw against top of the table Bath City.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule2.png

Comfortably in mid-table for the start of the season, but we need to push on to start establishing a challenge for play off places. Interesting to see that 2 of the recently promoted teams, Bath City and Halifax Town, are doing so well - hopefully their early season form will die off?

BlueSquareBetPremier_OverviewStages-10.png

Archived