[FM13] Travelling to Wembley in a Coach & Horses

chile_paul

Thanks - and yes, you are due credit for some of the layout, apologies for not referencing earlier ;) SRL88 may also recognise the layout of the season end summary.

I hope neither of you mind but let me know if you do and I will of course amend!

Of course I don't mind!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200px-Sheffield_FC_svg.png

Chile_Paul's Career - Season Preview - 2013/14 - Sheffield FC

Board Expectations:

Northern Premier League: Achieve a respectable position

FA Cup: 4th Qualifying round

Northern Challenge Cup: Quarter Finals

My Expectations:

Northern Premier League: Top half finish and challenge for play-off's

FA Cup: 3rd round tie against a Premier League side is always the dream at this level!

Northern Challenge Cup: Not important

Budgets:

Transfer: £9.03k

Wage: £3,030 p/w (Currently spending £2,827)

Balance: £87,233

Friendlies

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-1_zps29b4d022.png

A mixed pre-season, I fully expected to lose heavily to both Cardiff and Brighton, so it was a pleasant surprise to see us give Brighton a run for their money. Solihull Moors were lucky to take a win from us and Luton were once again much tougher opposition. The 2 final wins were necessary to maintain morale in the camp and good to see against similar level opposition

Transfers - In

Greg Pearson - Loan - Young left back on loan from local club Ilkeston FC. Will slot into the first team immediately as my first choice left back

Andy Hall - Free - Andy got the most assists of any player in the Northern League 1st Division South last year and gave me a torrid time when we played his team Stamford FC in the Northern League Challenge Cup final.

Matt Haddrell - Free - The second player I signed from Stamford, Matt is an old fashioned target man to bully players in the box and get on the end of Andy Hall's crosses

Dominic Langdon - Free - Dominic was immense for me on loan last season and I'm delighted to welcome him to the club permanently - he immediately assumes the role of club captain

Jack Cudworth - Free - A young signing from one of my rivals in the league this season, Chorley FC. Jack played 12 games for them last season with an average rating of 6.99 so I'm surprised they've let him leave. He has got big boots to fill replacing Mark Oxley.

Chris Clements - On loan from Mansfield Chris will be the creative force within my midfield

Transfers - Out

Neither Vil Powell or Steve Woolley were willing to renew their contracts at a rate that I felt was commensurate with what they could offer the team and therefore they left to find employment elsewhere. Ellis Wall wasn't happy with a lack of first team football and jumped at the chance to move 120 miles down the M1 to Leighton Buzzard

An improving set of performances during the month. We were off the mark in the first fixture against Farsley and deserved to lose, potentially need to look at pre-season because we just felt off the pace. Through the month I could feel our performances get stringer and stronger but we were really lacking a cutting edge up front to put those goals away until the final day of the season when everything combined to put 4 away against a very strong Marine side.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-2-2_zps23dadf62.png

A healthy league position 5 games into the season just outside the play off places.

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages_zpsa66847d3.png

A fantastic month in September, so close to a 100% record if it hadn't been for a draw in the last game of the month. Following on from the 4-2 win against Marine in the last game in August our strikeforce combined brilliantly to deliver 4 straight wins, including a great win against table topping Workington. My first team goalkeeper Jack Cudworth was ruled out after the Workington game for 7 weeks with a hernia resulting in the recall of youngster Joe Martin from loan.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-1_zpsc0ebc15e.png

A great month catapulted us up the table into 2nd place - but it's still incredibly tight at the top and King's Lynn, promoted with us last season, are only 2 points behind.

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages_zps15cbe993.png

A disastrous outing in he Northern Challenge cup see's us relinquish our hold on the trophy - this wasn't an important trophy for us this season, but I let my players know that this was not an acceptable result. To be honest the 2 goals from Karl Gibbs were more than we deserved

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-2-2_zps2222e380.png

I went back to read a few updates I'd missed, that was an incredible way to snatch promotion! I've had some crazy games, I've had last fixture upsets gifting me trophies, but don't think I've ever had a cliffhanger quite like that in FM.

That was very unnecessary though after the massive points lead you had mid-season, was a very worrying drop of form and I thought you would struggle once promoted. Glad to be completely wrong - it's been a great season so far from a side that has just gone up. Early days but it's looking good and at this stage you may start to dream of back-to-back promotions - if you go up next level it's already the Conference North/South right?

I went back to read a few updates I'd missed, that was an incredible way to snatch promotion! I've had some crazy games, I've had last fixture upsets gifting me trophies, but don't think I've ever had a cliffhanger quite like that in FM.

That was very unnecessary though after the massive points lead you had mid-season, was a very worrying drop of form and I thought you would struggle once promoted. Glad to be completely wrong - it's been a great season so far from a side that has just gone up. Early days but it's looking good and at this stage you may start to dream of back-to-back promotions - if you go up next level it's already the Conference North/South right?

Thanks - I think it was probably the tightest finish to a season I've ever had in over 10 years of playing Football Manager - it gave the Man U / Man City finish last season a run for it's money for final day drama!!

I just hope that we don't see the same drop off in form this season - I never did really work out what went wrong........... if we do get back to back promotions then you're right that we'd be heading into BSN or BSS

A mixed month in October as we had to manage in the absence of goalkeeper Jack Cudworth. We performed well against title contenders AFC Fylde, but had to rely on good fortune to equalise via a mis-hit Andy Hall cross after they'd taken the lead against the run of play - but in the games following that we really felt the lack of a decent pair of hands between the posts losing badly on both occassions and conceeding weak goals, both times in critical matches against title rivals. Kings Lynn Town maintain their very good record against us!

Towards the end of the month we recovered and with Jack Cudworth back in goal picked up an important 6 points to keep us up in the play -off positions

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-3-1_zps39f6824e.png

Karl Gibbs has been in phenomenal form for the past couple of months and his performances have really kept us in the title race. However one point out of 9 in the month against the teams fighting around us is not good enough.

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages-2_zps3ca657e5.png

Two good wins in the FA Cup qualifying rounds completed a busy month and has secured a challenging tie against Mansfield Town - just down the road from us. Mansfield are currently topping the Blue Square Premier league so progressing any further will be a real test.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-4-1_zps1ee8721c.png

Doing very well to hang on there to the top, but plenty of matches yet to come...
Good read this, fella. Really good start at the higher level, too.
I agree, very intriguing. On the road to another good season too :thup:

Thanks all, it means a lot! Don't jinx me though please - still a long way to go and this is a very close league

The month started off with the FA Cup tie, so I'm going to mention this first in my update this month - we were drawn away to Mansfield, a team with a great deal of history in the league, considerably bigger than us and 2 divisions above us, sitting pretty at the top of the Blue Square Premier, so it's fair to say that I was asking the team to give a performance but didn't have high expectations.

I was delighted therefore that in 180 minutes across the first game and then a replay 3 days later that we managed to keep them at bay - to be fair we matched them in both games and gave them a real fright. Unfortunately however, extra time in the replay was just one step too far and they snatched the winner - a real kick in the teeth, but I'm very proud of the team........ unfortunately this has exhausted my first 11 and I've got a very busy month.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-5-1_zps4c50990e.png

Given the fatigue within the team a 5 game unbeaten run is something that we should be very proud of, although there are a couple of those games including away to Kendal where we should have been picking up 3 points. I was absolutely delighted with the win away to an incredibly strong Ilkeston FC team - against the leading scorer in the league Jordan Abjagbe I only had a ragtail defence, including one of my youth players Jason Gregory making his first team debut - but we managed to hold our lines and score a delightful winning goal just after the half time break.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-6_zpsd9aa8e74.png

The top of the table remains incredibly tight, nobody has yet managed to pull away and build a commanding claim for that one automatic promotion place. In other news I've risked the wrath of my board by breaking our wage budget and signing Steven Craig on a free transfer - recently released by Arbroath he is a class above my other strikers and hopefully will help to lift our goal scoring rate.

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages_zps94b3d86e.png

Still great! I know the teams around you have games in hand but to be within 1 point of the top is a great effort for this club.

As I don't usually play in England, I have troubles getting my head around the sheer amount of matches, 21 league matches by October that's just insane really.

Still great! I know the teams around you have games in hand but to be within 1 point of the top is a great effort for this club.

As I don't usually play in England, I have troubles getting my head around the sheer amount of matches, 21 league matches by October that's just insane really.

I know it's a crazy amount of games through October and November and if you have a good cup run as well the games can really mojnt up - hopefully the fact that I'm now out of all the cups will give me an advantage against my rivals in the league

Great stuff. :) Workington have three games in hand which is a shame but no reason why you can't challenge them.

Cheers, Workington have a hectic schedule in December, hopefully they won't be able to pick up maximum points on those games in hand. I still think my biggest rivals this season may be Kings Lynn again. Clearly there's not much difference in the league strength this season compared to the league below given we're both doing so well this year after being promoted.

He's actually played November but forgot to change the month in the top of his post.

A cracking month to finish off the calendar year in which we went unbeaten. Importantly, with the exception of the first game we managed to find our scoring boots again, notching up a minimum of a couple of goals a game - and in the final game of the month Matt Haddrell had a stunner picking up 4 quality goals as we tore Rushall Olympic to pieces.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-1_zps777d98c0.png

The New Year sees us hit the top of the pile for the first time all season and we've established a cushion between ourselves and 3rd place. With only one automatic promotion place we need to maintain our form though and I'm very conscious of the drop in form we sufferred towards the end of last season.

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages-2_zps3012faa8.png

3 new players joined at the end of the month, all on loan. Benoit Dalibard, a Frenchman on loan at Mansfield will partner Dominic Langdon in central defence and relieve the pressure on Michael Roche who has struggled to cope with the higher level of football this month. Luke Chambers joins from League One Southend United; Chambers will help out in goal and although Jack Cudworth remains my long term number one goalkeeper, his form has slipped so it's good to get some more competition into the slide. Finally Scott Rogers also joins from Mansfield Town and will provide cover for the injured Anton Foster as my ball winning midfielder.

It's close for now but hopefully you can make it comfortable
Looking even better now in 1st, nice solid month and fingers crossed you hold on to 1st place for the remainder of the season.

Cheers both, we didn't have it all our own way in January so we still have a long way to go in order to claim the title

January was a quiet month, with us already having been knocked out of all cup competitions we only had 3 matches scheduled and we managed to pick up a full house - a win, a draw and a loss.

We started off exactly as we'd left off the last game of the previous calendar year with a thumping victory, led once again by Matt Haddrell who is in a rich run of form - but the new year hangover kicked in against title rivals Workington. They were much better than us all over the park, although I do feel we could have snatched a point, with Karl Gibbs hitting the cross bar with a gaping open goal during the second half.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-2-2_zps5b308b63.png

Workington's win has allowed them to pull us back into the pack, but we still lead the table - just!

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages_zps155a18c2.png

I got a little bit carried away with February's update, with it being a very short month with only 2 matches, and have ended up including the first match in March in this update.....sorry!

An absolutely fantastic month however, Matt Haddrell leading from the front again with goals in every match, including a vital winner in a very tight game away to FC United of Manchester. 9 points out of 9 with no goals conceeded - you can't get any better than that!

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-1_zps03d2701d.png

We're now starting to develop a small cushion at the top of the table, although Workington are proving difficult to shake off - beginning to believe that back to back promotion may be a possibility however!

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages-2_zps9a348b3c.png

A really disappointing youth intake this year, only one player with even an outside chance of making it into the first team in the future - but his low determination makes even that an outside possibility.

To be honest I've offerred Sean Dawson a contract out of sympathy to the youth of Dronfield rather than any real hope that he will make it........... desperate for the board to increase my junior coaching but my requests keep falling on deaf ears at the minute

SheffieldFCYouthCandidates_SquadPlayers_zps0717cdfe.png

I'm starting to run out of superlatives for Matt Haddrell after another sensational month in which he effectively earnt us 9 point single handedly. It was no surprise therefore that in the final game of the month, where he failed to score for the first time in 9 games, we dropped to a very disappointing defeat to Kendal Town who are fighting out a relegation battle at the other end of the table.

I have very rarely played using a Target Man in FM previously, but this guy just towers over the opposition and his heading and jumping skills are much higher than the normal standard at this level of the game. It's just unfortunate that he's decided to hang up his footballing boots at the end of this season, what a way to go out though!

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-2-2_zps56ef0830.png

We're very close to crossing the finishing line now, 7 points clear with 5 games to go. The defeat to Kendal Town was our first dropped point in 7 matches - we just need to rebound quickly.

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages_zps02447302.png

In other news my scout picked up this youngster for me to have a look at - unsurprisingly we very quickly made Scott Dunlop a contract offer and he is now joining up with the team for the run in. Bizarrely we are his first ever club, I've never before seen FM generate a youth player who just appears, without coming through any clubs youth academy - is this what happens to players who don't get offerred a youth contract?

We returned to winning ways in the first game of the month, but in the subsequent games the players really managed to test my nerve as they faltered under the pressure, losing both games when all they needed was 3 points to lift the league title.

With other teams winning and us trailling 1-0 in the final seconds of the first half at Matlock I was delighted to see Steven Craig snatch an equaliser - this completely changed the mood in the dressing room at half time and we emerged re-energised with Roy Rudonja scoring the winner with 8 minutes left on the clock to give us the trophy.

In the final match with the title already won I rotated the squad to give some of my youth players a chance and I was delighted by the performance with youngster Scott Dunlop scoring his first goal for the club abd having a great game all around.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-1.png

In the end the table looked comfortable, but it felt a lot tighter than it looks! Kings Lynn managed to win through the play-off's for the second time in 2 years and as a result we've both managed back to back promotions!

NorthernPremierLeague_OverviewStages.png

Congrats, you always seemed likely to do this having topped the table for throughout most of the season, but still stopping to think about it it's a great achievement to get back-to-back promotions. Think it'll start getting a little harder from here onwards though! Good luck for next year.

Congrats, you always seemed likely to do this having topped the table for throughout most of the season, but still stopping to think about it it's a great achievement to get back-to-back promotions. Think it'll start getting a little harder from here onwards though! Good luck for next year.

Thanks, given that Kings Lynn also managed back to back promotions I'm taking it that the level of football between the Northern Premier League and the division below it is very similar - as such we didn't have to play to a much higher standard to get promoted this year compared to last

Chile_Paul's Career - Season Review - 2013/14 - Sheffield FC

Northern Premier League 1st Division South

Final League Position: 1st

A fantastic performance, sealing back to back promotions with a game to spare. We had been in and around the play off positions for the first half of the season, but come January we really kicked on with a long winning run, aided by the goals of Matt Haddrell to build a comfortable gap between us and the chasing pack - we had a little wobble towards the end, but held true to lift the title.

Northern League Challenge Cup

Competition Performance: 1st Round

Having won the title last season, I had hoped to put up a fight to retain the trophy, having said that it wasn't a major priority - so I didn't shed many tears as we were knocked out in the First Round by Ilkeston FC, who went on to torment me all season with the goals of Jordan Agbaje

FA Cup

Competition Performance: 4th Qualifying Round

Really proud of my team for getting this far, and going 180 minutes without conceeding against the Blue Square Premier league leaders is something I'm very proud of!

Squad

My dealings in the loan market were critical to our success this season, having said that this resulted in a bloated squad and some of the reserve team will be shown the door this summer

Transfers - Finances - Board Review

In hindsight, there have been too many weak youth players joining the team, who are going to be leaving again this summer - my scouts just rated them too highly. A few other players - Keith Gilroy and Emmanuel Diesuruvwe have been poor and will leave. Both Matt Hadrell and Andy Hall who joined last season from Stamford FC have been brilliant however and really justified their signings.

The finances are actually much better than they look, our negative balance is only because of the costs associated with the stadium expansion

My Top 3 Players

Matt Hadrell - My coaches only gave him 2 stars for most of the season, but he was a revelation as a target man, becoming the league's top goal scorer with 25 goals and 9 MoM's

Chris Clements - A loan signing from Mansfield Town, Chris played in the Advanced Playmaker role and really made us tick in the centre of the park.

Dominic Langdon - Second year in a row that Dominic has made my top 3, a really solid performer in the middle of defence. The only player to be ever present in the league campaign

Fans Player of the season - Matt Hadrell

Best Eleven - 2012 / 2013

Best Eleven - All Time

What's Next?

Promotion 3 years in a row is probably a bit optimistic, but I'm not sure the Blue Square North is that much stronger than the Northern Premier League?

What went on Elsewhere?

English Premier League

2012/13 - 1st Arsenal 2nd Man United 3rd Newcastle Utd 4th Tottenham - Relegated Wigan, Southampton, Norwich

2013/14 - 1st Man United 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man City 4th Arsenal - Relegated Leicester City, Everton, QPR

FA Cup

2012/13 - Winners QPR Runners-Up West Brom

2013/14 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up Leicester City

League Cup

2012/13 - Winners Reading Runners-Up Bolton

2013/14 - Winners Man United Runners-Up Arsenal

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Liga BBVA

2012/13 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Valencia 4th Getafe - Relegated Espanyol, Real Valladolid, Osasuna

2013/14 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Valencia 3rd Barcelona 4th Real Zaragoza - Relegated Rayo Vallecano, Celta Vigo, Deportivo de la Coruna

Copa del Rey

2012/13 - Winners Valencia Runners-Up Real Madrid

2013/14 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Real Madrid

Serie A TIM

2012/13 - 1st Juventus 2nd Fiorentina 3rd Napoli 4th AC Milan - Relegated Torino, Pescara, AC Siena

2013/14 - 1st Juventus 2nd AC Milan 3rd Fiorentina 4th AS Roma - Relegated Udinese, Chievo Verona, Sampdoria

TIM Cup

2012/13 - Winners Juventus Runners-Up Napoli

2013/14 - Winners Cagliari Runners-Up Udinese

Bundesliga

2012/13 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Borussia Dortmund 3rd FC Schalke 04 4th Bayer Leverkusen - Relegated Hannover 96, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Werder Bremen

2013/14 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Borussia Dortmund 3rd FC Schalke 04 4th Hamburg - Relegated FSV Mainz, FC Augsburg

DFB Pokal

2012/13 - Winners Werder Bremen Runners-Up VfB Stuttgart

2013/14 - Winners Bayer Leverkusen Runners-Up Wolfsburg

French Ligue 1

2012/13 - 1st PSG 2nd Marseille 3rd Lille 4th Bordeaux - Relegated Nice, Nancy, Ajaccio

2013/14 - 1st PSG 2nd Marseille 3rd Bordeaux 4th Lille - Relegated Bastia, Nantes, Brest

Coupe de France

2012/13 - Winners Lille Runners-Up Lyon

2013/14 - Winners Sochaux Runners-Up PSG

Coupe de la Ligue

2012/13 - Winners PSG Runners-Up Lorient

2013/14 - Winners Nantes Runners-Up PSG

Clydesdale Bank Premier League

2012/13 - 1st Celtic 2nd Hearts 3rd Motherwell 4th St. Mirren - Relegated Aberdeen

2013/14 - 1st Celtic 2nd Hearts 3rd Hibernian 4th Motherwell - Relegated St. Johnstone

Scottish FA Cup

2012/13 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Ross County

2013/14 - Winners Hearts Runners-Up Celtic

Scottish League Cup

2012/13 - Winners St Johnstone Runners-Up Motherwell

2013/14 - Winners Celtic Runners-Up Motherwell

Champions League

2012/13 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up FC Schalke 04

2013/14 - Winners Man United Runners-Up Real Madrid

Europa League

2012/13 - Winners Newcastle United Runners-Up Tottenham Hotspur

2013/14 - Winners FC Porto Runners-Up Dynamo Kyiv

World Cup

2014 - Winners Spain Runners-Up France

fifa.png

FIFA World Cup 2014

WorldCup_OverviewStages-2.png

WorldCup_OverviewStages-3.png

What were England thinking of! After getting arguably the easiest draw in the competition they failed to win a match, allowing Scotland to beat them into the Second Round (incidentally Scotland have been on a flyer under Craig Levein, they qualified top of their qualifying group for the tournament). Roy Hodgson has somehow managed to stay in his job after that catastrophe as well!

Italy left it late to make it to the second round, relying on a goal fest in a 5-3 final group game victory against Senegal - but they went on then to knock out hosts Brazil in the Quarter Finals, before eventually finishing in 3rd place

FrancevSpain_OverviewOverview.png

After conceeding a first minute penalty in the World Cup final, and then being sent off in the early stages of the second half, Mathieu Debuchy may well be wanting to take his time on his return journey back to France from Brazil....... worst performance in a World Cup final ever perhaps? Despite this obvious disadvantage France actually did quite well and managed to put up a decent fight, but it was always going to Spain's day after the 1st minute.

Archived