FM 13 Tottenham Hotspur- Where 4th Place Is No Longer Good Enough

Season 4 Review

I'll try and add some screenies at some point but I'm currently suffering from laptop problems.

First job for the new season was find a new AssMan after Cruijff retired. I looked at several candidates but eventually settled on Alessandro del Piero. Replacing a football legend with another one seemed apt.

Next up was transfer business:

Out

Adebayor to Juve for £12m. His effectiveness was dropping season by season and I got good money for his age. The fans hated it though (he's a club icon). Oh well, in me they should trust.

Naingollan went to Stoke for £12m. His injury proneness affected his development and he wanted more football than I could give him.

Trippier also went to Stoke for the £8m I paid for him a year before. Did ok for me but not quite what I wanted.

Gylfi went to Man City for £15m. Was never 1st choice and I have much better options.

Clint Dempsey left on a free with my best wishes.

In

One of my favourite RL players and great in the game, £40m was splashed on Thomas Muller. He destroyed my team in the CL last season and I just had to have him.

£8m was spent on Nathaniel Clyne

£7.75m went on Gianluca Caprari. This deal came sooner than I wanted but other teams were sniffing around and the price was excellent. Loans for a couple of seasons are in his future.

Lorenzo Crisetig came in for £15m from Parma. He fits all my midfield roles and is brilliant.

Finally my DoF came up with his usual 'left field' surprise signing. Carlos Tevez on a free! Wasn't sure about him but an experienced CL winner as back up/competition for Ademilson seemed a good idea.

During the season, Milan Badelj, Jake Livermore and Adam Smith all got moody about a lack of football and in Jakes case especially I reluctantly let them go in January. Badelj to Milan(I know, genius) for £14m, Jake to Newcastle for £10m and Smith to Norwich for £5m.

Coming in in January were two big signings with the next season in mind. £23m on Raphael Varane from Madrid. Kaboul & Verts are both getting on and Younes in particular keeps getting hurt so Caulker is going to need a top class presence alongside him. Varane is that man. Another £20m was spent on Italian regen left back Gianmarco Di Costanzo from Roma. Santon needs a high class back up and Fuchs is leaving on a Bosman so the youngster came in to settle in the squad ready for next year.

With the signings I'd made and with Gotze really favouring playing AMC I decided to switch from my trusty 41221 to a 4231 for this season. We scored more but also conceded more than we ever had. It was sexier football though so overall I was happy.

Onto the competitions:

Chelsea were given a 4-0 roasting in the Community Shield

Premier League:

After our stuttering finish last season we got back to cruise control. Winning the title with 6 games to spare and having our 2nd undefeated league season out of the last 3.

Carling Cup

We finally turned up in this and Chelsea again got a Wembley spanking. 3-0.

FA Cup

5th round exit at Championship Burnley was embarrassing. Not impressed.

CL

Finally. The big one! After topping a group including Barca we then put out Lyon before going up against the best of English. Man U first in the quarters. They nearly broke our hearts, totally outplaying us at OT and winning the 1st leg 2-0. 5 mins into the 2nd leg and Nani scored to put them in pole position. I went into all out attack mode, 424 and Gotze proceeded to rip them apart. By half time we were level on aggregate but they were ahead on the away goal. That didn't matter though as we ran out 9-1 winners on the night with Mario hitting 4! Next up were City. They again had a lead from a home 1st leg, 2-1. Back at Perryman Park we won 3-1 to set up an all North London final against Pep Guardiolas Arsenal!

A tight game went to extra time at 1-1. Then it became Ademilsons game. He hit two in the extra period to send the fans(& me) wild!! Spurs, Champions League winners!

Stats wise, Bale was king (again) 23 goals and 21 assists. Ademilson was top scorer with 25 in all comps despite only making 35 appearances. Gotze hit 20 goals too along with 15 assists. Muller made it to double figures in goals and assists. Mason Bennett was superb off the bench and starting the cup games to hit 10 goals. Tevez chipped in with 12 goals, generally crucial ones off the bench. Kaboul, Verts, Sandro, Caulker, Lloris, M'Vila, Crisetig and of course Dembele were all brilliant in their respective roles.

Next season we aim to conquer the World! COYS!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving the update edgar555,I to have also just hit the start of season 4 and although in recent posts I have said I will sign no one,the temptation is always there. First of all,Mr Levy pumps £180m into the club,Juventus offer £35m for a 28 year old 2nd choice RM in Ben Arfa (this with Redmond returning from a very sucessful loan spell at Fulham) and to top it off, Real Madrid offer £40m for 29 year old Falcao (again.... Fierrro returns this season having scored 21 goals in 40 app. for Roma) I currently have a balance of £250m and a transfer kitty of £95m but I just cant see where to sign people,Sterling and Redmond have came back from sucessful loans and will look to press Bale,Gotze,Shaquiri for the LW/RW births. Jack Wilshere was going for £21m,I had it accepted only for him to join City,but to be honest,my CM is strong enough ATM.

GK- Lloris/ter Stegan

RB- Walker/Wallace

CB-Kaboul/Zouma/Caulker

CB- Hummels/Papadopolous

LB- Santon/R.Rodriguez

DMC- Sandro/M'Vila

CM- Ayew/Verratti

CM- Kovacic/Gotze

LW- Bale/Gotze/Sterling

RW- Shaquiri/Gotze/Redmond

ST- Campbell/Ademilson/Fierro

Team is flexible for 4-2-3-1 as well. Bale was a demon in season 3 racking an incredible 28 goals and 22 assists!!! But again the player who always looks to do something amazing is Kovacic,I cant wait to get internet at home to screenshot him on here,he is simply a beast. 19 goals from CM and over 20 assists,won player of the tournament for CL even though only made it to Q.Finals!!!

If anyone has suggestions on improving squad or someone worthwhile spending the money on feel free.

NOTE- Utd rejected £50m for Neymar,Arsenal have Alaba and an AMAZING Gaston Ramirez.

Also,I have given in to Bale's wage demands,as I said prev. he has 1 year left,he wanted £250K,after getting rid of Ben Arfa and Falcao he has signed a new 4 year £225k a week deal,I have somehow managed to keep Sandro on the same wages from start of the game,he to had 1 year left and wanted £200K a week after being on 30k,he has just signed 95k a week,bit of a decline in what he prev. wanted! Wage budget looks good considering Bales wages,currently looking @ £1,500,000-£1,600,000 with a budget of £2.2m. To be fair all 3 of my strikers dont even make £50k between the 3 of them,Im sure that will change now they are fighting it out,all 3 are as good as one another stats wise,although Campbell has just won golden boot at u21's tournament (which we lost to Germany on pens suprise suprise) so his stats went up quite a bit,need to work on his finishing though,finishing is only 14

Yeah I just find Wallace to be great cover in both RB and LB,I do have a 5* English LB comming through,I had Santon and Rodriguez injured for end of season so I chucked him in at 16 in the FA Cup Final and 2 league games as Wallace got injured as well. He didnt get under 7.0 rating. UPDATE-: Only bought one player,that was a Czech regen for £7m from Real Madrid,potential to be better than Bale and already has 17 for dribbling,finishing,crossing and acceleration,had to be done. Redmond has been on fire,scoring 6 in 6 as well as Ayew and Papadopolous!

My laptop died, hdd replaced, now I'm back to square 1. With the benefit of all your experience, if you had to do it again, who would you buy in season 1 (bearing in mind that I don't want a total re-vamp)

If you want to play with more than one striker then a forward is essential. It's advisable anyway. Otherwise a back up left back. That's it. Or possibly a stronger back up wide man than Townsend. Squad is more than strong enough first season.

Tactics

Screenshot2012-10-27at84715PM.png

I'm currently in 1st in the league, semis of league cup, 4th round of F.A. Cup and 1st knockout round of Europa League with this tactic. Defaults are control, fluid, zonal marking, direct passing, more roaming. Dembele and Bale have been my two most important players. If we need to score more goals, I bring the outside midfielders up as wingers, or bring Defoe on as a 2nd striker in a 4-4-2.

I could be late to the party as this dates a few months ago but how did you find your formation in the long-run? And specifically the chemistry between the AMC and FW as well as the wing play? Also what sort of team instructions and shouts do you use?

I just ended season 4 in what was the most electric FM session I have ever had in my life. My friend playing as Newcastle, came over to mine and we played all through the evening into the next morning, with the most ridiculous twists and turns that I have ever been involved in. The starting point of the session was as follows.......

- He ( Newcastle ), were roughly 9 points ahead with 12 league games to left to play.

Over the course of the next clutch of games, I won 6 games on the bounce, whilst his form fell apart after a 30 match unbeaten run. With him seething and raging, I caught up with him and actually leapfrogged him, going to 2 points ahead. Meanwhile, we had both reached the FA Cup semi final where we would meet each other, and the CL semis against different opposition. Along the way, my team shows nerves of steel, holding on to its two point lead by beating Man City away from 2-1 and Chelsea at home 2-0.

There was four league games left, and I was two points ahead and in the best form of my life.

Then out of nowhere, Juventus gubbed me 0-4 away from home in the CL semi.

The next match was the FA Cup semi final against Newcastle. We both played weakened teams and I was 1-0 before losing 1-2.

Sensing that two bad results in a row could cause a slide, I tried to head the problem off at the pass as quickly as I could. After all, I had just watched my friend go tailspinning on a 6 odd game slide, and wanted to try and stop the rot earlier than he had. I called a team meeting, instead of waiting to be prompted into one if I lost a third game in a row.

Apparently, I did it too early, because it ****ed my whole squad and every single player's morale turned to abysmal. My friend was laughing his ass off, whilst I was left fuming mad ! I tried to patch up morale as best I could with new contracts, individual talks etc etc but it was a proper club meltdown going into my last four league games. Here is how they went......

Gameday 35 - Newcastle win comfortably, with them back in form and playing well. My team plays like absolute amateurs against Leicester. We surprisingly go 1-0 up after one minute, but then proceed to play awfully for the next 60 mins, barely able to string two passes together. Leicester equalise, but I somehow manage to scrape ahead again and go 2-1 up. In the 94th minute, my defence goes to sleep and I concede with the score ending 2-2 and morale still awful. We are level on points, but I am ahead with a better goal difference of +1

Gameday 36 - The drama unfolds like a end of season day affair with me and my friend going from high to low back to high screaming shouting etc etc as the season continues to twist and turn. Newcastle are away to Arsenal. They go 1-0 down and Cuadrado is sent off for my friend in the 46th minute. Meanwhile, my boys are once again playing like dicks West Ham. Running through my game quicker than my mate, I reach the 90th minute, when January recruit Yassine Benzia steps up to slam home a chance inside the box and put me 1-0 up ! I keep silent waiting for Newcastle to find out that I have won. Unfortunately, with ten men Newcastle come from 1-0 down, to score a last minute winner and win 2-1 !!!! All square in points, with me ahead by goal difference +1

Gameday 37 I face Wolves away, whilst Newcastle are at home to 20th place Wigan. With my squad still mentally ravaged and my form gone, I predict to my friend that at best I will scrape a 1-0 win, whilst he will rack up a truckload against Wigan and overtake me on goal difference. This is almost exactly what happens. Newcastle win 4-0 whilst I win 2-0. Newcastle move ahead on goal difference by +1

Gameday 38 I fancy my chances here. I am only behind in goal difference by 1, but I need a two goal swing effectively, as my friend has scored more goals than me. He is at home to Everton whilst I have 20th place Wigan at home ! I can sense a drubbing, and hope that 11th place Everton can put up a good show. The two games start, and I quickly go 2-0 courtesy of Destro twice. Meanwhile, Newcastle fall behind against Everton !!! I am celebrating 3-0, as Newcastle pull to 1-1 before again going behind ! Half time reads, Spurs 3-0 Wigan and Newcastle 1 - 2 Everton ! The second halves start, and I am delirious with joy when I race 5-0 ahead after 57th mins. From out of nowhere, those ****ers Everton fall apart and I am left fuming as Newcastle score goal after goal after goal in the last 20 minutes of the game. Sick as a parrot. Newcastle 6 -2 Everton.

Newcastle win the league by way of more goals scored with both of us on 92 points and I know it is all down to the team meeting I did. Even then I thought I had clawed it back. 5-0 win on the last day and those ****ers Everton put in a pathetic performance.

Squad after January changes - Sigurddson left for 22.5m to Liverpool, with Benzia coming in from Lyon for 21m.

GK - Lloris, Cros

LWB - Alaba, Bale, Shaw

CBs - Papadopoulis, Caulker, Vertonghen, Rodrigues

RWB - Walker, Richards, Naughton

DM - Sandro, Crisetig

APs - Thiago, Leitner, Isco, Dembele, George Green

IFs - Bale, Reus, Draxler, Schurrle,

TQa - Destro, Benzia

............................Lloris............................

Walker...Papadopoulis...Vertonghen........Alaba

...........................Sandro..........................

................Thiago..........Leitner..................

Reus..................................................Bale

..........................Destro...........................

Leitner and Draxler are both great now. Leitner has now displaced Isco from the team, such is his form.

Crisetig scores a lot more from DM than Sandro !

Quite a few of my newgens - Barun, Easterford, Burul, Green etc etc are ready to stay with the squad and get time now. I am currently trimming down my squad getting rid of Schurrle, Dembele and Naughton so that I can startvusing some youngsters and also try and secure my long term target Mario Gotze. I have had a 27.5m offer plus Schurrle, accepted for Gotze.

One last thing, I was deliberately prudent this season so that I could have more money than Newcastle and outspend them this summer. Their finances were looking shaky. So what happens ? Mike Ashley pumps 110m of his own money into the club and they have a budget of over 100m to spend. Very unfair !!!!!!!! My budget being only 37m after all my scrimping and saving.

I could be late to the party as this dates a few months ago but how did you find your formation in the long-run? And specifically the chemistry between the AMC and FW as well as the wing play? Also what sort of team instructions and shouts do you use?

I think the formation works well against big teams, and away from home. But I've made a few tweaks since the original post. First of all, I like Lloris more as a sweeper-keeper. Dembele is better as a CM/A or B2B, as Edgar has mentioned. I've changed Adebayor to a DLS/S, but he seems to also work well as a CF/S. I think the biggest thing is to get a better AMC. Sigurdsson and Dempsey have been useful players for me, but not stars. Look at Isco, if you can convince him to come. I play balanced/standard/zonal marking/direct, with counter-attack checked.

Thanks for that. You've felt comfortable enough not to change the formation?

Do you not find the problem of having space behind your CM and in front of the CB? Also as you're a counter attacking side, do you not feel that you're starting too deep to mount a counter?

Care to shed some light on these tactics or are they already on the tactics forum. I would like a good 4-4-2 formation against poor teams at home and rip them apart!!!

My 41221 is in the tactic forum. My 4231 isn't. I'll go through it at some point. I haven't used 442 since FM07. I do have an uber attacking 424 for special situations but I don't think its all that.

I also think his workrate and bravery is a little too low, whilst a couple of PPM's(runs with ball through centre/tries long range free kicks) and position ratings need a tweak. Like, his attacking midfield central stat is 9, while his midfield right stat is 15 :confused:

I'm sure it'll be looked at.

I've actually made alot of amendments to Bale in the editor, will post here to see if people think it's reasonable;

Injury proneness 11>8

Natural fitness 15>18

Team work 13>12

Work rate 12>14

Bravery 11>14

Long shots 7>14

Defender Left 14>12

Wing back left 13>14

Att. mid left 17>19

Att. mid central 9>15

Midfielder right 15>12

Striker 11>12

Ambition 15>17

Loyalty 13>15

World rep 145>170

Home rep 175>180

Current rep 160>175

Runs with ball through centre PPM ticked

Tries long range free kick PPM kicked

That's how I see it. Think it's reasonable, no CA/PA changes as I think they are largely irrelevant at his stage.

I shall be editing him if he hasent already when the latest patch comes out,really wanna get to grips with making a really good tactic and getting players from the original squad to excel ie. Sigurdsson,Huddlestone,BAE etc. Hoping to keep same rough team for at least the first season with only young prospect signings ie. will hughes,Bennett etc. Bit gutted Kovacic has gone to Inter Milan,wat a beast!!!!!!!

Don't see any justification for his striker rating to be so high. He's never played upfront. His MR/AMR rating based on performances for Wales should be left where they were. His DL/WB ratings should go down, he just isn't a defender. Not sure about bravery 14, still bottles it at times, pulling out of challenges. Other than that fair enough.

Ah, didn't realise about his Wales role. I just can't really see him ever playing there(MR) though. The AMR is fine though. His striker is already 11, but yeah you're right should stay where it is.

I think his bravery is justified. He's not Rooney but he takes a lot and put's himself on the line to push through, like his second goal against Newcastle. Just not in a defensive way. i put his DL one down, and put his WBL up because he's clearly never gonna be a DL but he could play at WBL if asked.

AVB must have seen my thread in the tactics forum because the whole principle was built on Bale been the striker from out wide left and to be the main scorer :cool:

In my last save I actually trained him as a ST and used him as a Treq. or DLF from that role. Genius. Had Azza and Welly Nem cutting in from the sides.

However, Bale is not really playing wide left cutting anymore IRL as far as I can see. Everything he does is through the middle.

In my last save I actually trained him as a ST and used him as a Treq. or DLF from that role. Genius. Had Azza and Welly Nem cutting in from the sides.

However, Bale is not really playing wide left cutting anymore IRL as far as I can see. Everything he does is through the middle.

Yesterday was through the middle but in the other games he's still got a tendancy to favour the left according to all the heatmaps over at squawka :)

Started a Spurs save because of Bale.

*Made some small attribute changes to Bale & a slight PA change to Holtby

Going to try have 2 systems work, one with Bale wide, one in the middle. Thinking of something like this..

spurs1q.png

Signings so far are Holtby and Kovacic. Would like a beast like Lukaku up front though.

Started a Spurs save because of Bale.

*Made some small attribute changes to Bale & a slight PA change to Holtby

Going to try have 2 systems work, one with Bale wide, one in the middle. Thinking of something like this..

spurs1q.png

Signings so far are Holtby and Kovacic. Would like a beast like Lukaku up front though.

for a beast go for bony or kweuke

for a beast go for bony or kweuke
Spurs have the money to get a better striker then those two, it should not be hard to go for someone like Falcao, Cavani or Neymar etc whenever you want to replace Ade/Defoe (whoem both are just as good as the players you mention anyway)

Definitely can get better than Kweuke, but Wilfried is excellent and our sort of level. Not everyone wants to spend £40m+ and a £150k p/wk contract on players.
none of them are better then Defoe/Ade, similar level maybe, but not better, while Coulibaly have potential to be better then those two....so unless you intend to use a 3 striker formation I find it difficult to understand why you would like to make any changes at all unless you intend to get a better striker

Chelsea Accepted a 20m bid for Lukaku but he wasnt interested.

Id rather not go with the 3 superstars mentioned because Id like someone who can come in and make there name here rather than someone who is already an absolute superstar. Bony has already moved and I dont really like Kwueke.

Strikers role is pretty basic in this system. Either making runs and knocking the ball past the keeper or drag defenders away to let Bale/Holtby bomb through.

Anyone been taken over ?

Start of fifth season and I had a local businessman Tom Murray who was going to buy the club and clear 110m worth of bank loan debts. The talks didn't go well though and no takeover is happening, and I'm left wondering what the likely outcome is ie will I most likely still get a takeover ?

plan on making a totty save when the new update comes.

hope bale and even holtby get PA boosts

They don't really need them. Besides the fact that it's really about the attributes, Bale still has a little to improve within the CA/PA range, and I'm not sure he should be boosted anyway. You will see many world class players in the late 170 range. He plays like a God already. Holtby's definitely does not warrant a boost. His stats are great anyway.

none of them are better then Defoe/Ade, similar level maybe, but not better, while Coulibaly have potential to be better then those two....so unless you intend to use a 3 striker formation I find it difficult to understand why you would like to make any changes at all unless you intend to get a better striker

I didn't say they were better than what we have. Just that if I had £50m I wouldn't want to spend it on one player and have the other lads asking for financial parity when someone like Wilfried would more than suffice. Also it's down to preference. Adebayors and Defoe's work rate are problems for me. Besides, I like to buy players I can improve.

Id rather not go with the 3 superstars mentioned because Id like someone who can come in and make there name here rather than someone who is already an absolute superstar. Bony has already moved and I dont really like Kwueke.

Strikers role is pretty basic in this system. Either making runs and knocking the ball past the keeper or drag defenders away to let Bale/Holtby bomb through.

Patric Aubameyang from St. Etienne is a lethal striker in this game. His stats may not seem all that but he will finish. Otherwise Sigporsson from Ajax is a favourite of mine

Anyone been taken over ?

Start of fifth season and I had a local businessman Tom Murray who was going to buy the club and clear 110m worth of bank loan debts. The talks didn't go well though and no takeover is happening, and I'm left wondering what the likely outcome is ie will I most likely still get a takeover ?

I am a season behind yourself but I havent had any talks of a take over as of yet,dont know if it will happen,stadium is complete in 6 months time,I am refusing to spend the £80 in the market so they can just wipe the stadium debt straight off. Be interesting to see how much I get given when the debts are clear,I am not to savvy with the finance on FM,Levy pumped £100m at start of season so dont know if that means thats just mine to play with or what?!?!?

I would love Lukaku in my team,he scores for fun at Chelsea atm on my game,scored a quality header against me from just on the edge of the box outjumping Hummels. Scores in pretty much every game he plays in,gutted he is at the scum

I am a season behind yourself but I havent had any talks of a take over as of yet,dont know if it will happen,stadium is complete in 6 months time,I am refusing to spend the £80 in the market so they can just wipe the stadium debt straight off. Be interesting to see how much I get given when the debts are clear,I am not to savvy with the finance on FM,Levy pumped £100m at start of season so dont know if that means thats just mine to play with or what?!?!?

If Levy pumped in 100m then you will get all that to spend minus whatever deficits you have. My mate got 110m from Ashley in my game, which cleared some issues and gave him 80m to spend in his budget. I currently have Hoddle Park dropped down to a figure of 44,500 whilst an extension is built. It will be ready in about 2-3 months ( overall time of about 6-7 months ) and wil increase the capacity to 60,000 which is very nice ! Meanwhile, Levy's status is now set to ' open to any offers'. Despite the initial takeover bid failing, from what I can gather from around the forum, it will happen but it could take any time between almost immediately to 2 years for it to succeed ! I must say, I'm desperate for it to happen, since the new guy is wanting to pay off 110m in bank loans and it will go in some way to helping me out since my friend was just handed 110m. Him being given that is a bitter pill to swallow when you are competing against each other tooth and nail for every trophy each season !

Unfortunately, at this point, I have never had any similar cash injection from Levy.

Started a Spurs save on the new patch.

Not much action transfer-wise, just loaned out Bentley and sold Gallas.

Bought Sterling and Kerim Frei as backup wingers, but with an eye to have Sterling first choice in the next season or two.

If Levy pumped in 100m then you will get all that to spend minus whatever deficits you have. My mate got 110m from Ashley in my game, which cleared some issues and gave him 80m to spend in his budget. I currently have Hoddle Park dropped down to a figure of 44,500 whilst an extension is built. It will be ready in about 2-3 months ( overall time of about 6-7 months ) and wil increase the capacity to 60,000 which is very nice ! Meanwhile, Levy's status is now set to ' open to any offers'. Despite the initial takeover bid failing, from what I can gather from around the forum, it will happen but it could take any time between almost immediately to 2 years for it to succeed ! I must say, I'm desperate for it to happen, since the new guy is wanting to pay off 110m in bank loans and it will go in some way to helping me out since my friend was just handed 110m. Him being given that is a bitter pill to swallow when you are competing against each other tooth and nail for every trophy each season !

Unfortunately, at this point, I have never had any similar cash injection from Levy.

Dont be fooled, I've had three takeovers in my careers of managing EPL clubs, each time a local business takes over and promises to wipe the debt. Each time he took over he said there will no financial movement regarding any investments. Still happy to take huge dividends out tho!

Archived