FM 13 Tottenham Hotspur- Where 4th Place Is No Longer Good Enough

February update 2012/13

League Table

mbhedg.png

Not been a bad start to the season.As you can see defence has been very solid, only 13 goals conceded. However really should be scoring more. Had a few 0-0's that I really should have won and they could be the difference at the end of the season. TBH everyone has performed top quality except Adebayor, who I have just sold and Defoe to some extent. Defoe has been okay in cups and smaller games but not really delivered in the big games. The team look SO good on the counter attack, and that was my aim at the start. Everyone is so strong and athletic, even more so now with the January transfers.

Europa League ... Made it through comfortably winning 5 and losing one. Scoring 20 and conceding 2.

Out the Fa Cup and Carling Cup. Made it to the Fourth round in both.

January Transfers

in

10omkia.png

Wanyama - Was bought in as Sandro was out for 3 months and Parker has not really filled his shoes well enough. Wanyama can rotate and play a part for a long time and is exactly the sort of player I was after.

Benteke - Adebayor wasn't performing only scoring 5 times. 3 of them come in the opening 3 games. Benteke another strong powerhouse who should be a perfect target man to hold it up and work well with Bale and Lennon.

out

2z6s45g.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tip - if you can train Naughton to make long, flat bullet throws he'll get you 10-12 assists a season if you give him the games. Expect Caulker to be nodding a lot of those in.
I did that on my save on the first patch, however I did not really get far enough into the save before the new databas update arrived so I scrapped that save, we will have to wait and see if I get going on a new save on the new db

I've always liked to get someone in the team with this ability, if possible. The only two on FM13 that I've found are Azpilicueta and Naughton (after training). It might not be pretty but it sure is effective, and definitely worth playing Naughton ahead of eith BAE or Walker for this quality alone.

Yeh I am interested in knowing how good Benteke is actually. I am with you enders357 on the Naughton stance I will train him on it soon,I do like him as cover,my right back situation wont change with him and Naughton. I wont play Naughton LB as I have Shaw and Alaba rotating plus Alaba can cover CM as well. Any suggestions on good young centre backs?!?!?!

2012/13 Season Review

Just about scraped into the Champions league. Shocked that it was Southampton who ran me closest, delighted to finish above Arsenal though. Good defensive record seemed to go out the window post January. No idea what happened. Might have something to do with Sandro getting injured but his replacement Wanyama performed very well so not sure.

Lost to Chelsea in the Europa quarters. The away tie killed it for me when I lost 4-1. Fair to say I was fuming.

wthpoo.png

Everyone in the side performed well. Lloris the only player not to get above a 7 average rating, but to be honest I have no idea how he didnt. 20 clean sheets in the league alone should really get him above 7. Goals were spread out the team with not really an outstanding goalscorer.

i3994y.png

34ozyvn.png

2ps25op.png

Enders357 - I was happy with with Benteke. I know he only scored 4 but they were big goals and he contributes so much to the team.The amount of headers he won and that he held the ball up whilst surrounded was ridiculous. Definitely need to work on his finishing, its the only thing that lets him down.

Hello folks, it's been a mighty long time since I visited the SI Spurs team thread (4 years at least).

Great to see you guys making such a fine job, years ago I used to start such threads myself & I was the SI Spurs researcher for quite a few years too.

Lack of time meant that I gave up my researcher position & never played the game since until just recently when I bought FMH 2013 when on offer for a couple of quid for my ipad.

Got a bit hooked again I must say even though that version of the game does seem a bit too easy.

I've now downloaded the demo version of the PC game & I'm getting sucked back in!

Thought I'd share some of my experiences from FMH & see how they compare to the proper game.

Attacking formations are the way to go on FMH with 4231 being the most effective for Spurs.

As for the players I see it's basically the same database on both games only obviously simplified for the handheld.

As for the starting playing staff the key players are who you'd expect Lloris, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Sandro, Dembele & Bale.

Adebayor has been Prem player of the year 3 times in a row (somewhat surprising as he's so awful in real life).

Sigurdsson is amazing too & retrains very well to be accomplished & quite devastating on either flank either as an inside forward or as a winger & his set pieces are outstanding.

Walker is much better in the game than real life too.

Is Defoe any good as a lone striker in the full game? I didn't find him to be on FMH.

As for buys, there are a couple of young Belgians who are awesome, Malanda DMC/DC (who can also be retrained to function very well further forward in midfield.

Massimo Bruno is another, right winger who becomes better than Lennon.

Sarabia becomes as good as Bale on the left & Nicusor Stanciu is an amazing young playmaker.

Tottenham's starting squad is pretty solid (although obviously lacking another striker) so I reckon bringing some young players is all that's really needed player wise.

Talking of strikers I've tried quite a few of the ones mentioned already in the thread (Benteke, Cavani & Ba) but the best of all for me was Cisse, absolute goal machine & ideal lone striker. Have any of you used him in this game, if so how did he do & how much?

Also when I started a game on a tight budget I picked up Rick ten Voorde cheaply as a striker (he did very well) & Roy Beerens as a cheap yet very effective wideman, how are they on here?

Lastly who did you all get for your staff & how do you sack Freund?

Thought I recognized the name welcome back

I think Cleon used Defoe as a backup striker with some success you can read it here. I mutually terminate all staff when I start a spurs save and then use this to find new ones, it’s a fantastic tool

Benteke reguarly scores 20+ goals for Villa - he does it in all my saves. His attributes are a bit funny though, average pace and very average finishing, so not sure how he does it! But someone i'd like to buy aswell. Wouldn't be sure how to play him thougg

Thought I recognized the name welcome back

I think Cleon used Defoe as a backup striker with some success you can read it here. I mutually terminate all staff when I start a spurs save and then use this to find new ones, it’s a fantastic tool

Cheers I'll check those out. Haven't really had any time to check out the forums yet, of course 1st port of call was the Spurs team thread.

Are none of the Spurs staff worth keeping? Scout Mick Brown looks half decent at least.

Any other little tips gratefully received the last game I played was FM09, & there have been some big changes.

Great thread by Cleon, he was always one the forums best contributors, nice to see him give Spurs a good try.

I'll have to investigate this "Shouts" business, seems like a really good idea, I always thought that to make the game more realistic, an option like this should be the only way a manager can affect a game during a half.

Being able to pause a game & change a tactic & shift things around to the enth degree always seemed unrealistic in the extreme to me.

Weather conditions looks like a change I'll have to consider too, any others?

I know the handheld version is so much simpler but I wonder if it kind of mirrors the full game in the way it plays out.

Tactically I found that an offensive 4231 with player roles of WB's, CM's AMC & IF's superior to a 41221 with a DMC, both at home & away, going on that the principle that the best form of defence is attack, but then again as I said FMH is far less sophisticated.

Cheers I'll check those out. Haven't really had any time to check out the forums yet, of course 1st port of call was the Spurs team thread.

Are none of the Spurs staff worth keeping? Scout Mick Brown looks half decent at least.

Any other little tips gratefully received the last game I played was FM09, & there have been some big changes.

I just like bringing in my own staff and think you can get better then all of them

Great thread by Cleon, he was always one the forums best contributors, nice to see him give Spurs a good try.

I'll have to investigate this "Shouts" business, seems like a really good idea, I always thought that to make the game more realistic, an option like this should be the only way a manager can affect a game during a half.

Being able to pause a game & change a tactic & shift things around to the enth degree always seemed unrealistic in the extreme to me.

I know the handheld version is so much simpler but I wonder if it kind of mirrors the full game in the way it plays out.

Tactically I found that an offensive 4231 with player roles of WB's, CM's AMC & IF's superior to a 41221 with a DMC, both at home & away, going on that the principle that the best form of defence is attack, but then again as I said FMH is far less sophisticated.

Since you have been away from 2009 you have a fair bit of reading to catch up on there has been some epic posts. Will send you some links of a few

The handheld version is less sophisticated but many of the things translate.

With the formations, its really what works best for you and the squad at your disposal. If you look back through this thread you'll see I've used a 41221 with Spurs pretty much all the way through the patches to very good effect (there's also a link to my thread on this tactic somewhere).

With regards to shouts I think they are essential and I'd strongly recommend taking a look at what they all do. Theres some good threads/links about, when I get a chance I'll dig some out.

Good question actually. I was going to apply but just can't find the time.

As I know only too well it's incredibly time consuming, a mostly thankless task & the rewards of a free copy of the game a year is barely compensation, so hats off to who ever is making the effort.

Bit odd if he was appointed in January yet hasn't made himself known in this thread or the Tottenham data issues thread yet though. Maybe he hasn't bought a tin hat for the flak yet (he he).

I haven't had a chance to play enough to make many comments but it stands out that Walker should not be accomplished at DC.

Also Bale should be accomplished at AMC & have his decisions & long shooting increased a lot.

I digress though as this isn't the place for such musings.

Can't find your tactic edgar555, have you got a link? I'd like to take a look.

This is getting silly now. Bale leading goal scorer with 7, then in the assists table I've got Sigurdsson, Lennon, Defoe and Bale all joint leading the table with 4. Just beat Reading 6-1, and leading the table with 18 points in 7 games, with 20 goals scored and just 6 conceded (3 of them in one game, a 3-2 loss to City). Enjoying this Spurs save.

Also, how damn good is Gylfi? I've always been a big fan of Mr Sigurdsson, but in this edition of FM he seems even better than normal. Playing him behind a loan poacher as an AP seems to be working brilliantly. He's going to become a must-buy on all saves from now on, especially when City got him for £9m on my United save in the second season!

Made it to January. Finances are very good, so much so, that the transfer budget has been increased to £44m. Coincidentally, Falcao is on the transfer list for just £25m, so looks like I'll be signing him :)

Form has been immense. Other than one blip in the Capital One Cup, where I lost in a game where Bale, Defoe, Sigurdsson, Sandro and Dawson were out, I've been unbeaten in 19 games, including 10 wins in a row. I'm top of the league, clear of City by 3 points with 2 games in hand, with a GD of +34. Going incredibly well!

Blimey, having not played the game since 09 there's so much to catch up on, I haven't even started playing yet, just reading the thoughts of the wise, Cleon, Lam, Edgar etc. I want to try & get it right from the off.

What exactly are the benefits of bringing in a DOF?

Blimey, having not played the game since 09 there's so much to catch up on, I haven't even started playing yet, just reading the thoughts of the wise, Cleon, Lam, Edgar etc. I want to try & get it right from the off.

What exactly are the benefits of bringing in a DOF?

Re: DOF, its a good idea but implementation isn't quite right yet. That said, I have used one in every save and they can (if you have the right man) get some excellent deals on players you wouldn't think and they are also very useful at the main task I set them for: getting youths/reserves out on loan. I know it sounds mental but Damien Comolli is one of the best in the game.

Thanks, looks good, both you Cleon & lam seem to be getting good results with this 41221 shape.

I may adopt it myself, I was inclined to go 4231 with a more an attacking mentality, maybe using the shouts to make it tighter when required, I have to read more on them though as I don't fully appreciate exactly what they do yet.

The way I see it the starting 11 of Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, BAE, Lennon, Sandro, Dembele, Bale, Siggy & Ade should be good enough (certainly for 1st season) a couple of better back ups & I'm sorted player wise.

Just have to figure out the tactic to get the best out them.

I love the idea you 3 are employing to get Ade to come deeper take the oppo DC's out of position & provide more space for Bale to do his magic & I can see that my idea of playing Siggy in the AMC position could get in the way of this.

Thanks, looks good, both you Cleon & lam seem to be getting good results with this 41221 shape.

I may adopt it myself, I was inclined to go 4231 with a more an attacking mentality, maybe using the shouts to make it tighter when required, I have to read more on them though as I don't fully appreciate exactly what they do yet.

The way I see it the starting 11 of Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, BAE, Lennon, Sandro, Dembele, Bale, Siggy & Ade should be good enough (certainly for 1st season) a couple of better back ups & I'm sorted player wise.

Just have to figure out the tactic to get the best out them.

I love the idea you 3 are employing to get Ade to come deeper take the oppo DC's out of position & provide more space for Bale to do his magic & I can see that my idea of playing Siggy in the AMC position could get in the way of this.

If you wanted to go down the 4-2-3-1 road a user called bracken maybe worth talking to, he is having great success with it as Chelsea manager, his career thread is a good read and so is his blog

If you wanted to go down the 4-2-3-1 road a user called bracken maybe worth talking to, he is having great success with it as Chelsea manager, his career thread is a good read and so is his blog

Cheers, yet more good stuff to read, not sure I'm ever going to start playing!

Anyone ever used Blerim Dzemaili?

He was really good for me in FMH, B2B mid, does it all type who can do a decent job in number of other roles too, wasn't expensive on FMH either.

He looks like he'd be better in that RCM role in Cleon's tactic as he's better defensively.

Training is a complete mystery to me.

Are there any good threads on this for FM2013 (I found one on Ajax but it was way over the top).

How do you guys approach it?

I quite like Rashidi's take on it link

Definitely buy him. El Shaarawy is immense. Best right winger on the game. Bale on the left, El Shaarawy on the right is the ultimate combination.

Great result! Just come from behind to beat City 2-1 at home, thanks to goals from Falcao and Bale. Now 8 points clear at the top, with 22 games played!

Cheers for that. Just waiting to finalize it, looking forward to seeing how he does. Never really spent more than like 20-25m before. Hopefully he can persuade me to be braver with my money. Well done on the City win.

He'll be well worth it. Think I spent something like £32m on him on my United save, and he's been worth every penny. He'll be on my radar at the end of the season. Lennon's been excellent, but he's a tad inconsistent.

Just signed Marco Verratti on deadline day to boost the midfield. Not been impressed with Holtby or Livermore, so he'll come in and probably start in centre midfield alongside Sandro.

Anyone ever used Blerim Dzemaili?

He was really good for me in FMH, B2B mid, does it all type who can do a decent job in number of other roles too, wasn't expensive on FMH either.

He looks like he'd be better in that RCM role in Cleon's tactic as he's better defensively.

I had a Napoli save and he was great as a box-to-box midfielder for me in that save, though I was playing a 3-4-1-2 so its quite different to anything I'd use with Tottenham. He always had a good average rating, but didn't chip in with many goals or assists.

Any one else had much success with Mason Bennett?!?! Season 1 he played 20+ matches for me and I had him tutored and training hard and his progression was amazing however this season he has played roughly 15/20 games and he isnt progressing as much stats wise?!?!?!

Start of 2013/4

Transfers

IN

1y0l1d.png

OUT

eopit.png

148p3ea.png

Had some tough fixtures to start my season.

West Brom (H) 3-0 - Arnautovic , Ayew , Vertonghen

Ajax (A) 0-0

Chelsea (A) 1-1 - Lennon

Ajax (H) 2-1 - Holtby , Benteke

Burnley (H) 2-1 - A.Carroll , Benteke

Man ~UTD (A) 0-1

APOEL (H) 1-0 - T.Carroll

Chelsea (H) - Capital one cup - 0-2

Liverpool (A) 2-2 - Benteke , Walker

Sunderland (H) 3-0 Benteke (Hat trick)

Managed to Get away games with Chelsea , Utd and Liverpool out of the way early. Should hopefully have a good run of games and get a run together as it's only City and Arsenal left until the Christmas period.

Team

13z3cqb.png

4fwfht.png

Happy with the squad, with a 2 decent players in almost every position. Decided to give Smith the chance to be Walkers understudy, looks a decent prospect. Has Tom Carroll broken into anyone here's side ? Never let me down when he has played, infact he's played really well .. Even scoring in the Champions League. Happiest with my wingers with four top class players to rotate.

Really enjoying the game again after so many years, thanks to you guys for the advice & links.

But tbh a lot of the changes have been relatively cosmetic I think & my old touch at the game doesn't seem to have lost me.

Loving the look of the ME despite it's occasional quirks. But do you find that players leave the ball behind a bit too often? You don't see that very often at the top level IRL compared with FM IMO.

I'm obviously way behind you guys as I've only just started.

Installed Commolii as DOF, although he hasn't done anything at all for me yet.

Bernhard Peters is my assistant & his advice has been sound, he's also a top tactical coach.

Quite a few good Brazilians available for my staff who are nearly all 4 1/2 stars at least.

On the playing staff I spent the bulk of my transfer budget on Cabaye & he's been good so far.

I really felt I needed a DLP who can do the defensive side too & he fits the bill.

A handful of top cheap youngsters brought in but the only one I've tried in the 1st team is Mattheus who had a decent game in the League Cup.

BAE looks a bit error prone so I would have liked to have brought in another LB but as it stands my fullback cover are Smith & Naughton who've been ok.

Recalled Townsend from his loan (shame Spurs didn't IRL) & he's been terrific as cover for Bale.

Tactically I started with a 4221 similar to Cleons but I've changed now to a 4231 which is getting the best out of Sigurdsson.

I was worried with the striker being trequartista & having an AMC they might get it the way of each other but it hasn't happened like that, in fact there's been more options exploit the space when the oppo DC's are pulled out of position & I'm scoring more.

Not so tight at the back without the DMC but on the other hand having Sandro winning the ball further up the pitch is paying off.

100% record so far but Citeh away next so that'll be a big test, will be having a read on a couple of threads on beating them in the tactics forum before continuing.

Any one else had much success with Mason Bennett?!?! Season 1 he played 20+ matches for me and I had him tutored and training hard and his progression was amazing however this season he has played roughly 15/20 games and he isnt progressing as much stats wise?!?!?!

20 matches in season 1 for a 16 year old sounds a lot to me, hope you haven't burnt him out.

I've got him too but tbh I dont think he'll get a game for me even in the League Cup (unless I have an injury crisis) as his stats really don't look that great yet.

I had a Napoli save and he was great as a box-to-box midfielder for me in that save, though I was playing a 3-4-1-2 so its quite different to anything I'd use with Tottenham. He always had a good average rating, but didn't chip in with many goals or assists.

Splashed the cash on Cabaye in the end who's sort of similar but better.

20 matches in season 1 for a 16 year old sounds a lot to me, hope you haven't burnt him out.

I've got him too but tbh I dont think he'll get a game for me even in the League Cup (unless I have an injury crisis) as his stats really don't look that great yet.

His main attributes went up 3/4 each and he is classed as a wonderkid,I am just wondering though weather my heavy training isnt doing him any good though. I dont normally buy him,I always go for Adam Campbell as on the Newcastle thread quite a few people have turnt him into a monster,talking 20 for finishing,acceleration,agility etc. but unfortunately it doesnt look as if the Newcastle AI has done anything with him,still 4* PA.

@sammo - do you use any instructions for Benteke? Considering him for my new save - always get's 20 goals for Villa so he must be worth it.

No, I don't. Just use him as a standard Target man. He's now got 9 in 15 and has played very well.

Lost El Shaarawy and Bale for 3 months and 2 months respectively. Frustrating.

Paulinho - with the DoF make sure you set his responsibilities on the 'staff responsibilities' page. Peters is a great AssMan.

I did set the responsibilities I thought correct ie. finds & makes signings for 1st team, finds & makes offered for young players for the future plus finding homes for transfer listed & loans.

No, I don't. Just use him as a standard Target man. He's now got 9 in 15 and has played very well.

Lost El Shaarawy and Bale for 3 months and 2 months respectively. Frustrating.

I have noticed El Shaarawy is quite injury prone as well,thinking of getting rid of Lennon for someone who can just slot in same type of player to El Shawaary,any suggestions bar Ben Arfa and Shaquiri?!?!

I did set the responsibilities I thought correct ie. finds & makes signings for 1st team, finds & makes offered for young players for the future plus finding homes for transfer listed & loans.

Yeah those are the settings I use.

I have noticed El Shaarawy is quite injury prone as well,thinking of getting rid of Lennon for someone who can just slot in same type of player to El Shawaary,any suggestions bar Ben Arfa and Shaquiri?!?!

Lamela as an inside forward in RW position is devastating. Keep his confidence up and hes a +20 goal a season man. He can miss a few chances and shoot wildly at times but always comes up with important late goals and has a brilliant free kick on him.

It prob does help when he plays in a front 4 of falcao, gotze, and bale. ( i now have a 21 year old german who has just won player of the year and got nearly 30 assists. Will post up a pic of him soon! Subsequently won every trophy going and didn't lose a game in the league.

Went on a run of being manager of the month from august to February. Missed out on March to May as squad was stretched playing so many games. Drew a few in the league!

Lamela as an inside forward in RW position is devastating. Keep his confidence up and hes a +20 goal a season man. He can miss a few chances and shoot wildly at times but always comes up with important late goals and has a brilliant free kick on him.

It prob does help when he plays in a front 4 of falcao, gotze, and bale. ( i now have a 21 year old german who has just won player of the year and got nearly 30 assists. Will post up a pic of him soon! Subsequently won every trophy going and didn't lose a game in the league.

Went on a run of being manager of the month from august to February. Missed out on March to May as squad was stretched playing so many games. Drew a few in the league!

I managed to get Gotze cheap once,would love him but not looking good so far,ATM it would be front 4 of Bale,him,Thiago and Aubangeyang. Looking to dropping Thiago back to B2B in Dembele's place for some competition and have Gotze and Sig battling out for AMC as Sig always does a job in that role!!! Havent got any money though,did say in previous posts I have spent alot of money in 1st 2 seasons so I need to calm it down a bit but I want one more big big signing mainly either Gotze or Neymar!!!!

Archived