FM 13 Tottenham Hotspur- Where 4th Place Is No Longer Good Enough

Planned on selling Dawson on my game, but after Kaboul got injured Dawson stepped in and played magnificently. Now into my second season and he's still dominating. Reckon I'll get one more season out of him and move him on, and bring in someone like Zouma or Papadopoulos.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Planned on selling Dawson on my game, but after Kaboul got injured Dawson stepped in and played magnificently. Now into my second season and he's still dominating. Reckon I'll get one more season out of him and move him on, and bring in someone like Zouma or Papadopoulos.

Zouma and Papa are both excellent but I'm pretty much convinced Varane is the best CB in the game.

Its my RL bias towards YK and Verts and my dislike of Daws. Tbf to Daws he's done well in this save when called upon. My long term one he was awful and I was happy to collect £10m from QPR for him.

I'm not Daws biggest fan IRL either tbf, although this season he's been mostly decent.

I won't let him go until I get someone decent coming through the youth set up.

I need to review my U18 training actually as I've got Malanda, Paredes, Bennett, Bakkali & a couple of good regens all on 4 star potential or more & they're not making much progress tbh. I've got them to learn a PM or 2 but any attribute increases have been minimal.

I'm not Daws biggest fan IRL either tbf, although this season he's been mostly decent.

I won't let him go until I get someone decent coming through the youth set up.

I need to review my U18 training actually as I've got Malanda, Paredes, Bennett, Bakkali & a couple of good regens all on 4 star potential or more & they're not making much progress tbh. I've got them to learn a PM or 2 but any attribute increases have been minimal.

For my whole squad I use the individual training focus system like so:

Anyone 31+ : Either light focus on their ROLE or no individual focus at all

Anyone between 26-31: individual focus either light or average on their ROLE

Anyone under 26: individual focus set to heavy (unless they really moan about training intensity although that often leads to them getting sold) on specific ATTRIBUTES

Anyone under 22 I try to keep position retraining and learning PPM's to a minimum unless its a necessity for their role.

I have a note set to remind me every 3 months to change the younger players focus to another attribute if needed or to keep it as is.

I tutor all 17-21 year olds as much as possible.

Players between 17-19 don't get loaned out, I'd rather work on their training and make sure they are playing for my youth/ressies and that way I can decide whether to give them a few mins of top flight football if the chance comes up.

19-22 year olds will be loaned out if they are not going to feature in my first team squad. That said, at 22 theres a good chance that if I don't see them featuring already then they'll be on their way.

Zouma and Papa are both excellent but I'm pretty much convinced Varane is the best CB in the game.

Great shout. Forgot about Varane tbh. Signed him in favour of Zouma in my United save and he was exceptional. Have signed him a few times, and he's never been as expensive as Zouma either. Reckon I'll go for him, and maybe sell Kaboul, who I've not been impressed by, and get Papa.

Anyone under 26: individual focus set to heavy (unless they really moan about training intensity although that often leads to them getting sold) on specific ATTRIBUTES

Anyone under 22 I try to keep position retraining and learning PPM's to a minimum unless its a necessity for their role.

I have a note set to remind me every 3 months to change the younger players focus to another attribute if needed or to keep it as is.

Players between 17-19 don't get loaned out, I'd rather work on their training and make sure they are playing for my youth/ressies and that way I can decide whether to give them a few mins of top flight football if the chance comes up.

19-22 year olds will be loaned out if they are not going to feature in my first team squad. That said, at 22 theres a good chance that if I don't see them featuring already then they'll be on their way.

Very helpful, thanks.

I think where I was going wrong was that I wasn't setting the focus heavy enough, they were all on average or light.

I am pretty much in edgars boat as well when it comes to training up the youngsters. Hopefully tonight I should complete season 2 and do a big review on it.Also, I did tinker the tactics and I now find myself playing 4-4-2. I got hammered by 16th place Reading 3-1 with my 4-2-3-1 formation and then lost to Arsenal 3-1 playin 4-1-2-2-1 so I tried 4-4-2 against Liverpool and won 6-0!!!!! Unbelievable Jeff!!!!! Post some screenshots hopefully later if I get a chance,I also gave a 16 year old regen a chance against Liverpool in that 6-0 and he scored,does have 17 finishing though so he is progressing really well. I am in mid April 3 points behind City but I dont think I will catch them however since I put pressure on them saying they were favourates they have dropped 6 points,I was miles behind them in January,interesting stuff.People mentioned about Everton being CL on one persons game and relegated in another.I find them bottom of my league and Fulham are 3rd and have been all season!!!!!!!!

How do you do your general training week to week? Something I'm a little confused about on this FM. I'm never sure which aspect to work the squad on, which intensity and so on.

How do you do your general training week to week? Something I'm a little confused about on this FM. I'm never sure which aspect to work the squad on, which intensity and so on.

Preseason all high intensity focus on fitness until 2 weeks before season when I switch to tactics. If I've signed loads of players then my match prep through preseason will be teamwork otherwise its just tactics.

Into the season I keep high intensity until November and just switch the focus every week between defending/attack/ball control. November on I switch to medium intensity and keep switching between def/attack/bc.

Dependent on fitness levels and number of games from April I sometimes then switch down to low intensity.

During the season my match prep is based on who the opponent is. If its a team I should beat then usually attacking movement; big clubs it'll be def positioning or maybe attacking set pieces; someone like Stoke it'll be def set pieces. If we've struggled at something then either training focus or match prep focus may be left on one category for a few weeks regardless of oppo.

Hope that all makes sense.

Preseason all high intensity focus on fitness until 2 weeks before season when I switch to tactics. If I've signed loads of players then my match prep through preseason will be teamwork otherwise its just tactics.

Into the season I keep high intensity until November and just switch the focus every week between defending/attack/ball control. November on I switch to medium intensity and keep switching between def/attack/bc.

Dependent on fitness levels and number of games from April I sometimes then switch down to low intensity.

During the season my match prep is based on who the opponent is. If its a team I should beat then usually attacking movement; big clubs it'll be def positioning or maybe attacking set pieces; someone like Stoke it'll be def set pieces. If we've struggled at something then either training focus or match prep focus may be left on one category for a few weeks regardless of oppo.

Hope that all makes sense.

Interesting take on it, I've been following Rashidi's take on it so far, he utilises low intensity all season after pre season is finished. http://fmrashidi.wordpress.com/football-styles/fm13-player-development-model/

Pre season I arranged lads of friendlies (10) & then used team cohesion once my players were all match fit as it seems a waste just working on their fitness once they are all 100% match fit & that can acheived after 4 or 5 games.

Interesting take on it, I've been following Rashidi's take on it so far, he utilises low intensity all season after pre season is finished. http://fmrashidi.wordpress.com/football-styles/fm13-player-development-model/

Pre season I arranged lads of friendlies (10) & then used team cohesion once my players were all match fit as it seems a waste just working on their fitness once they are all 100% match fit & that can acheived after 4 or 5 games.

That was a good read,I shall look into this more,I seem to be doing OK in terms of progressing youngsters,both my U18 striker have 4* potential and there stats are constantly improving,same applies to Will Hughes and Mason Bennett and Luke Shaw,just keep changing Shaws from wing back to full back to winger. Bennett from poacher to inside forward to winger and Hughes from ball winning,adv. playmaker and box to box and seems to do the trick. May change this however after reading up on this. Ill post a few screenshots of some of my develepment and see what you think

I generally only play 5 friendlies which is why I leave fitness on til the latter part of pre season. I'll see what Rashidi has to say though.

Is there a way of untutoring?

I have a 5 star potential 15 year old DC regen who's rated as the best of his generation & is already wanted by all & sundry on loan.

I got Kaboul to tutor him but there's been a personality clash & now they're both unhappy.

As far as I can see there's no way to cancel this & no option to talk about this with either player.

Is there a way of untutoring?

I have a 5 star potential 15 year old DC regen who's rated as the best of his generation & is already wanted by all & sundry on loan.

I got Kaboul to tutor him but there's been a personality clash & now they're both unhappy.

As far as I can see there's no way to cancel this & no option to talk about this with either player.

Once you get that message, tutoring is cancelled. However you cannot get someone else to tutor him for 6 months. Annoyingly you can't talk about it with them.

2nd season has me winning the Prem on 12 april with 5 games to go, twice in a row now & very pleasing. Nearest rivals Citeh just can't get near me & in 8 games in 2 seasons I've won 6 & drawn 2 against them. Changing my game plan slightly when playing them to exploit flanks & play down middle beats that narrow formation that they use nearly every time.

As I've already lost 1 game so no longer have the unbeaten record to protect I'm going to give the kids some experience in the remaining league games.

Into CL semi against Benfica so I'm pretty confident of reaching the final, the CL draws have been fairly kind as only Bayern have provided much of a test.

The other CL semi matches Real with Celtic!!!!! (not much realism there then)

League Cup is in the bag too (where again I got the luck of the draws & didn't face a difficult game all through) beating The Toon in the final).

FA cup semi is against Stoke whilst Everton (coca cola now) play the Goons.

Set up for the 1st NLD Wembley final & the quadruple 2nd season is well & truly on.

Once you get that message, tutoring is cancelled. However you cannot get someone else to tutor him for 6 months. Annoyingly you can't talk about it with them.

Bummer, he looks like he's going to be a monster, decent player for championship sides already at 15!

Thought I'd chosen his tutor well too as they both had the same personilty "fairly professional".

paulinho-looking good,season 2 I really havent had the luck in cup draws,I won the league cup but I had quite a tough ride getting to the final,reaching the FA cup final was bit easier and Ill play that tonight against City,City in the league however won 18 games in a row!!!! I was 10 points away January and since I went to the press and said they are favourates they have crumbled slightly,only 3 points behind them with 4 games left,did F*** up slightly,I had them at home and drew 1-1,would of been right up behind them had I won!!!! Think both cups is all I will get this season :-(

paulinho-looking good,season 2 I really havent had the luck in cup draws,I won the league cup but I had quite a tough ride getting to the final,reaching the FA cup final was bit easier and Ill play that tonight against City,City in the league however won 18 games in a row!!!! I was 10 points away January and since I went to the press and said they are favourates they have crumbled slightly,only 3 points behind them with 4 games left,did F*** up slightly,I had them at home and drew 1-1,would of been right up behind them had I won!!!! Think both cups is all I will get this season :-(

I think I've been more than a little lucky in both seasons tbh, I wonder what would have happened if I got back to back defeats for example?

I did have a minor wobble after my defeat to Villa but again I was lucky not to lose the next game & then had a relatively easy League Cup final victory to raise moral all round.

You could try that combination shout of exploit the flanks & play narrow in your final against Citeh, works well for me.

Yeh i did note that down actually so I will use that thx!!! I always struggle against Reading!!!! Beat them 4-3 at home as you can see in my update above but then lost 3-1 at their ground. I have had a good season and tactics seem to do the trick,find myself having lots of chances but the goals/shot ratio is poor!!!!!

Played my 15 year old regen DC in the game following the title win (with the whole squad moral on superb) & he is now the youngest ever Prem player & did well on his pro debut.

Used the game to blood 3 other promising young starlets too, the most impressive being Leandro Paredes, he's a young AMC I picked up from Boca(I think) for peanuts 1st season, I've retrained him as a striker playing the trequartista role a & he' s really impressing me.

Yeh i did note that down actually so I will use that thx!!! I always struggle against Reading!!!! Beat them 4-3 at home as you can see in my update above but then lost 3-1 at their ground. I have had a good season and tactics seem to do the trick,find myself having lots of chances but the goals/shot ratio is poor!!!!!

Strikers composure maybe?

Who are your strikers again?

Readings 424 is a ******* to play against. Plus their strikers are lethal. I always hope they get relegated cos they give me such grief.

Readings 424 is a ******* to play against. Plus their strikers are lethal. I always hope they get relegated cos they give me such grief.

I haven't come across that, Reading don't play that system in my game.

The system that I find the hardest to break down is the 33211 (sort of xmas tree like shape), Newcastle were using it under Roberto Martinez in my game, I never lost to them but I couldn't break it down for love nor money, thankfully they adopted a straight forward 451 in the League Cup final & it wasn't a problem.

Damiao,Bennett,Benzia. To be honest Damiao up front on his own is poor.Put him as target man (s) with a poacher in a 4-4-2 and he scores every game. Really odd cuz you would of thought he would be good on his own up top.

Since his debut where bagged a brace Bennett has done nothing for me, probably doesn't help that he's totally unsuited to the treq role that I employ.

I'll probably get rid when his sell on value increases.

Benzia has low decision making in my game, that's always an attribute I look to be high when I buy a player.

You'd think Damiao would be good up top on his own, his all round attributes are good, what role do you give him?

I now play CL final against Celtic who beat Real Madrid in their semi! I must have slipped into a time warp to 1967!

I got beat 3-0 away to Benfica but luckily had a 5-0 lead from the 1st leg, I laid into the players after, proper hair dryer treatment.

A few of them felt unfairly treated but then when I had chats with them individually later criticising them yet again they are all now pleased with me! You've got to show 'em exactly who's boss.

FACup final a romp against a rather sub standard Goons 2-0, they've done quite well in the League (3rd) this time so I was expecting more of a game.

Being a counter attacking team I don't expect to dominate possession against the better teams but 14 shots to their 5 tells the story, & we should have won by more.

Hateful little goblin Wilshere being sent off at the end put the icing on the cake!

Just the CL final against Celtic now for the quad, no complacency.

FACup final a romp against a rather sub standard Goons 2-0, they've done quite well in the League (3rd) this time so I was expecting more of a game.

Being a counter attacking team I don't expect to dominate possession against the better teams but 14 shots to their 5 tells the story, & we should have won by more.

Hateful little goblin Wilshere being sent off at the end put the icing on the cake!

Just the CL final against Celtic now for the quad, no complacency.

Wilshere sent off. Bloody brilliant. :D

Anyone else had any luck with Dempsey? I usually sell him, but nobody wanted him, so I kept him, was getting injuries, so decided to use him, and he's playing really well! Using him up top as a TM(A), mainly scores goals from outside the area too, quite pleased with his performances! Although I'll probably need to get another target man as I've only got Helenius and Ferreyra and they're a bit young to be starting, sold Adebayor to Madrid, those £100k wages were making me feel sick!

Anyone else had any luck with Dempsey? I usually sell him, but nobody wanted him, so I kept him, was getting injuries, so decided to use him, and he's playing really well! Using him up top as a TM(A), mainly scores goals from outside the area too, quite pleased with his performances! Although I'll probably need to get another target man as I've only got Helenius and Ferreyra and they're a bit young to be starting, sold Adebayor to Madrid, those £100k wages were making me feel sick!

Deuce was class for me in my initial Spurs save at AMR or AML, always scoring crucial goals - just like RL. This latest save he's looking just as vital, now at ML in my new 442 but he's also contributed in my front 2. I like Deuce in game and more controversially IRL too.

Deuce was class for me in my initial Spurs save at AMR or AML, always scoring crucial goals - just like RL. This latest save he's looking just as vital, now at ML in my new 442 but he's also contributed in my front 2. I like Deuce in game and more controversially IRL too.

I didn't really wanna play him as I don't think he's as good as he's made out IRL (although he has come good recently tbh), but I had no other options and he's done the job! Just done the league double over Arsenal :D 2-0 and 1-0 respectively, Defoe grabbed both goals for me at the Emirates and Helenius got the goal at WHL. Arsenal currently find themselves in 7th and me sitting pretty in 2nd so I'm loving that! Struggling to catch Chelsea though, they're 4 points clear, I was 3 points top at one stage, but things just didn't go well for a few games and I dropped to 3rd, but performances have picked up.

Cup wise, I'm currently in the semi final of the FA Cup with Crystal Palace to come, so bar any shocks, I should be in the final.

League Cup I'm out of, played a weakened side against Man Utd in the Quarter Final and got beat 3-0.

I'm in the Quarter Final of the Europa League with Porto in the way of the semi final, that'll be my hardest test in the EL so far, so looking forward to seeing how the team copes.

Dempsey is pretty quality in game. One of those lads with a great spread of stats in the right places. I try and get him as much game time as possible. And he's versatile. I usually play him over JD and Ade infact.

SEASON 2 UPDATE

Well would you believe it,it came down to the last day of the season. As you can see by league table it was a close run thing but just take a look at how City crumbled at the end,I was 9 points behind them end of January,I kept on at the press about how they were favourates and they crumbled.More importantly,from the 6-0 defeat of Liverpool down was all down to changing from a 4-3-2-1 which I think teams found me out on,I changed to 4-4-2 and it worked a treat,Damiao was leathal and my youngsters did me proud poaching!!!!! The league cup and FA were also won so I am over the moon with that

295de7a.png

2luysfn.png

z8zdt.png

Picture of the squad,Gareth Bale once again shone,the assists are insane and Damiao really picked up once went to 4-4-2:

bewmfm.png

elcemx.png

THE FUTURE OF THFC

if60p3.png

2vlqzco.png

i50mzl.png

3449kep.png

The next Defoe and Crouch

34q4qbr.png

rk3j35.png

Good work Dossantosfc.

As for Dempsey, he was useful for me 1st season too but I needed the squad place for someone a bit better & I got good money for him.

He's just like he is IRL, doesn't look like much but comes up with the goods.

Just watched the CL semi Dortmund vs Real, what a performance that was!

In the game I've got Lewandowski coming on a free next season, is he as good as that in the game? He certainly appears to be for Dortmund in my game, 33 goals & 7 assists in 50 games.

Thing is who makes way?

Destro has come on bundles & is really blossoming into the treq role.

Aspas has been an excellent buy & also does the biz as an IF at AMR.

Adebayor seems the obvious one to lose out but it seems harsh as he's been my top scorer & done well.

Not sure I can justify 4 strikers in next seasons squad of 25 even if only 3 of them are out & out strikers.

Lewandowski is incredible in game. Takes a little while to settle but can play all the striker roles to a very high level. He's better than your other options.

I've just signed Viktor Fischer as my 4th striker for £7.75m on Jan deadline day. He'll replace Defoe as back up to Bale at adv fwd alongside Lewandowski or Ade. I could have had Aspas but Fischers much younger and I really like him IRL.

End of season 2 & the table makes good reading.

Now is the time I come to evaluate what I have done.

1st season I played 4231 & had incredible success remaining unbeaten all season considering I only really bought 2 players in Cabaye & Griezmann.

2nd season I've changed my shape to 41221 (or 451 if you like to call it that), I've done better as although I was beaten once I've finished 7 pts better off in total.

On the face of it it looks like I was better defensively last season (only conceding 21) & this season conceding 22, although that's misleading as this season with the the league well won I played some kids in defence & had Ospina & my 17 year old regen keeper letting in some soft goals (conceding 8 in the last 5).

I've scored loads more 90 this season compared to 75 last which I think justifies my decisions to ditch Defoe & Dempsey & bring in Destro & Aspas although that corner routine I mentioned before has brought a few more for my DC's at corners.

So I'm pleased with my decision to change shape & my purchases have on the whole been good.

fm13table2ndseason.jpg

CL final was a poor game but we won 3-0 making it a quadruple in season 2.

The CL was strange with Celtic beating Shaktar, ManU & Real Madrid on the way to the final.

I won against them with a Kaboul hattrick, 2 from the corner routine & one pen given away away by Spurs old boy Livermore.

That corner routine is starting to almost feel like a cheat. Bale or Baines delivers inswingers from the right to the near post & Kaboul attacks the near post & powers it in.

I've played some nice stuff at times mind with the front 3 scoring some great goals, Aspas in particular is very flamboyant.

I was lucky in the draw in all 3 cups tbh with only Bayern giving me a real problem, it'll be interesting next season if I come up against Barca or Real.

My keepers.

Lloris, what can you say? The best although the stats don't seem to reflect this. He has a slightly inferior ave rating in season 2.

Ospina, again here the ratings make him look great but it doesn't tell the full story. Although I was happy to pick up a good Gk for nothing he doesn't inspire confidence. His ratings look good because most of his games were against poor opposition, whenever I started him in a game of importance he let in a soft one & it seemed like I was basically giving the opposition a goal start.

Got fed up with him in the end & gave the last 3 League starts to my 17 year old regen, who wasn't any better either tbh but at least has 4 1/2 star potential.

I'm wondering whether to move Ospina on, would a move for Butland be wise? He's English & I could do with adding another for the HG quota.

FB's

Mine play as WB's so they have to be good attackers.

Walker was surprisingly my best performer as I had planned on him being 2nd choice. 7.44 ave rating an improvement on his 7.28, his attributes have gone up a bit too.

Baines was great at LB but tbf BAE upped his game with the competition & was evn better ave rating wise although again you have to take into account he played many games against the weaker teams.

Santon was disappointing considering the money paid but he got injured for a couple of months & that probably accounted for it.

Smith was admirable back up & due to injuries made 13 starts.

All in all I'm totally satisfied with my FB choices & I won't need to bring anyone in until Baines & BAE get too old & by then I hope to have a couple of useful looking regens in their place.

DC's

Kaboul was outstanding with an ave rating of 7.82 but his increases from last season were probably down to the corner routine, he bagged 15 goals!

Dawson, Caulker then Verts in order of ratings.

Verts has improved slightly on last season but I'm still toying with the idea of swapping him for a proper BPD, not sure if an upgrade will be within my budget.

DMC

Sandro had a poorer season than 1st season but then I played him in midfield as a BWM last time. The midfield position does appear to get the best out of him but it doesn't always suit my tactic.

Claudio Yacob has been disappointing especially as I had to pay £15.75m to get him. The idea was to play Yacob as a DLP at DMC & Sandro as BWM at MC but I found the team was less creative like that so Yacob ended up as a 2nd choice DMC with another creative DLP at MC.

In the Jan window I bought Fernandinho from Shaktar (again for big money), he's been really good at MC DLP & I think his defensive qualities are good enough for me to play him in the same role at DMC, that might be the way to go allowing me to get the best out of Sandro again. But I haven't tried this yet.

MC's

These are the glue that makes the tactic work & I uaully play one as a AP (A) Honda or Dembele & the other as DLP (S) Fernandinho or Cabaye.

Honda had been brilliant & has been well worth the £18m, he can actually play in either MC position just as well, he has my top assists, best tackler (after Sandro) top passer, great free kicks in short he does it all. The only thing he hasn't got is a great deal of pace so the team is slightly more dynamic when Dembele plays but they are both fantastic in the AP role.

Fernandinho is similar to Honda & can be switched around without any difference to the team at all.

Cabaye has been disappinting again, I can't work out why as his attributes are perfect for the MC DLP (s) role but he doesn't perform anything like the others.

I was going to sell him in Jan & when I offered him Barca & Real came in straight away with offers in excess of £20m & I thought hey if they want him he must be good, I need to work out how to use him better. I'm still none the wiser & am thinking about swapping him for another player with Dembele like qualities of pace & dribbling at MC (as well as decent defensive attributes), or another player to play as the DLP DMC, Cabaye really doesn't work here as he's not good enough defensively.

Holtby got a bid from Man C & when I said no he got the right hump & so I froze him out completely (it was no skin off my nose as he's only back up for me anyway). I will sell him now but not to Citeh. He's not that bad in a number of positions but he's not that great either. Hopefully he'll be better IRL.

paulinho-with Cabaye,i think a few on the Newcastle thread have mentioned his ave. rating is never good and they have the problem which is odd,howcome you didnt manage to sign Honda on a FREE half way through 2nd season?!?! As you can see on mine Verts got the worst ave. rating out of my 4 defenders but he is still worth keeping around. Definately rid urself of Holtby,someone in the mould of Dembele sounds like Andre Ayew but whilst I had great sucess with him on my last save/old patch I found him so frustrating on this save,3 red cards and constantly getting booked,I fell out with him because I fined him 1 weeks wages at the 3rd red card,was fuming.

Archived