"I got 99 Dnipro-blems, but a pitch ain't one!"

Deisler26

200px-FC_Dnipro_Dnipropetrovsk.svg.png

October 2013 Update

Vyshcha Liha Results

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 1 Tavria Simferopol (Vyshcha Liha)

Diego Buonanotte 4

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 3 - 0 Dynamo Kyiv (Vyshcha Liha)

Eugene Cheberyachko 26

Roman Zozulya 40

Artem Milevskyi 53

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 1 Metalurg Donetsk (Vyshcha Liha)

Alan Dzagoev 78

-----------------------------------------

Another month's struggle. The Champions League is killing us ATM...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Dnipro manager Andrey Managerenko has reportedly been offered the top job at Spartak Moscow! It's been said that the Chairman of Spartak has offered Managerenko a £20m war chest and an £800k wage budget.

It's not known what Managerenko's decision is but, with one of his favourite players in Kim Kallstrom at the club already, it may be just too tempting to turn down..."

Oh dear the heavy CL wins are sort of understandable (although you do have players to trouble the likes of Marseille!!), but what the hell happened in the cup? :eek:

I'd prefer staying at Dnipro you'd be basically be moving for the exact same challenge as you have at the moment. What's your current standing in the domestic league table?

"..Andrey Managerenko, the coach who led Dnipro to their first ever league & cup double last season has officially ruled himself out of the running for the Spartak Moscow job.

'I was asked if I would consider leaving Dnipro and an offer was faxed to my agent from Spartak, but I turned it down without even speaking with them... I have a wonderful group of players here and I would like to bring them the success they so richly deserve!'

More on this story later..."

5 November 2013

UEFA Champions League Group Stage

Arena-Dnipro, Dnipropetrovsk

Att: 31,000

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 1 Real Madrid

Eugene Seleznyov 83.................................Sergio Ramos s/o 87

As the groundsman turned off the lights and the arena was again bathed in darkness, I was sat in my office nursing a large scotch and reflecting on the greatest result in the club's history. What made it more special was that, due to the fixture pileup and our result last time, I played the rotation squad, with a front four of Oliynyk, Milevskyi, Fierro and Konoplyanka.

The game started and Madrid took control of the ball, but not necessarily the game. We fought, harried and kicked our way throughout the first half. It was 21 mins before they had their first shot! Luka Modric was having a miserable game in the middle as the players, mindful of his dive to win the penalty in the away leg, snapped and harried him.

Even their goal on 41 mins had an element of fortune, as the ball ricocheted over Lomban's heel and fell to the Madrid striker who gleefully tucked it away. But I was happy with the performance at HT and told them so.

We continued to counter in the second half, giving them a few scares before, on 82 mins, a long goal kick was headed back toward the Madrid goal and Eugene Seleznyov outpaced the defence and slid the ball into the net from the edge of the box. Pandemonium. The arena erupted and stayed loud. There was even time to the Madrid captain to see red for a second booking. Finally, the whistle went and we'd got a point against one of the European greats!!

-----------------------------

[video=youtube_share;c_PoKqyc_6s]

27 November 2013

Stadio Velodrome, Marseille

Att: 40,189

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 1 Olympique Marseille

Eugene Konoplyanka 68

Lucas Zen s/o 61

A horrible, wet gusty night in the south of France played home to another fantastic performance from the team to seal third place. Deciding to focus on the Panathinaikos game, I again sent out the rotational squad, who'd so valiantly snatched a draw in Madrid.

THe game kicked off and it seemed a very different animal to Madrid. Marseille were cutting us open at every turn, only heroic blocking efforts by the defence and wasteful long range shooting preventing us going further behind as Marseille took the lead on 5 mins with a quick counter down the right which left the opposite winger unmarked to stroke home the resulting cross.

Marseille were totally in control in the first half, but we'd worked hard, so at HT I told them that I was pleased with their effort and sent them back out. However, our position was further undermined when Lucas Zen saw a straight red flashed for a dreadful scissor tackle on 61 minutes.

But, incredibly, we drew level on 68 minutes as a lovely passage of play on the edge of the box left Federskyi free to sling over a deep cross. The L'OM defender got in a terrible mess and, as the ball glanced off his shoulder, Eugene Konoplyanka stole in and drilled home to the roar of the away support.

We came more into the game by this point, Annan having a fierce shot beaten out on 87 mins but, when the final whistle blew, this result along with Madrid's come-from-behind 3-1 win over Panathinaikos meant that we had sealed third place in the group and would in the mix for the Europa League draw later this year.

------------------

[video=youtube_share;bMg0C27cnKg]

10 December 2013

Att: 40,189

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 2 - 0 Panathinaikos AO

Eugene Konoplyanka 30.............................Srjdan Luchin s/o 71

Roman Zozulya m/pen 36

Artem Milevskyi 90+3

Anthony Annan s/o 73

Our final game in this year's UEFA Champions League was a home tie against Panathinaikos AO. Originally, I had targeted this tie as being the most important of the lot, as we needed two wins over them to guarantee third place and more European football. However, thanks to some stunning results, we had already clinched third place before they had arrived. As a tribute to the rotational side that got us to this position, I played them again and sent them out.

We took charge of the game and very rarely looked troubled. On 30 minutes, Pashaev's through ball found Zozulya on the far edge of the area and his dinked cross was met by a bullet of a diving header by Eugene Konoplyanka to put us 1-0 up. Better was to come on 36 minutes as Fierro was tugged back as he was about to shoot. Roman Zozulya stepped up to take the penalty, but his poorly-hit penalty was well saved by the Pana keeper.

The second half followed much the same pattern, apart from a crazy few minutes halfway through. First, a Panathinaikos midfielder saw red for a horror tackle on 70 mins then, as we were relaxing, Anthony Annan saw himself red-carded for a second bookable offence on 78 minutes. BUt even that didn't break our stride. Finally, in injury time, Giuliano got free down the right and his low cross into the box was met by Artem Milevskyi, who doesnt miss from there. 2-0 and the game, along with our CL run, was over.

-------------------------------

Group A Final Table

1. Real Madrid......16 (Q)

2. L'OM...............10 (Q)

3. DNIPRO..........8

4. Panathinaikos...0

-------------------------------

[video=youtube_share;8pwIVJWZaEc]

2013 End Of Year Update

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 2 - 0 Zorya Lugansk (Vyshcha Liha)

Diego Buonanotte 2

Artem Milevskyi 26

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 1 Real Madrid (UEFA Champions League, Group A)

Eugene Konoplyanka 83

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 2 - 1 Chornomorets Odesa (Vyshcha Liha)

Giuliano 33

Artem Milevskyi 74

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 3 - 0 Vorskla Poltava (Vyshcha Liha)

Giuliano 10

Anatoily Tymoschuk 14 (pen)

Carlos Fierro 86

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 1 Olympique Marseille (UEFA Champions League, Group A)

Eugene Konoplyanka 68

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 2 - 0 Illichivets Mariupol (Vyshcha Liha)

Eugene Selezynov 49, 82

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 2 - 0 Panathinaikos AO (UEFA Champions League, Group A)

Eugene Konoplyanka 30

Artem Milevskyi 90+3

-----------------------------------------

A bumper finish to the year as we finish it out of the UEFA Champions League, but in the UEFA Europa League and 5 points clear of Shakhtar at the top of Vyshcha Liha! Alan Dzagoev is out for the next few months with injury, but I don't see the need to replace him. Unless I get a big offer, I'm not selling and not buying much either.

Michel+Platini+Europa+League+draw

"Zis is ze draw for ze First Knockout Round of ze UEFA Europa League.... Girondins Bordeaux, ze 'ome team, will play... DNIPRO DNIPROPETROVSK!.."

"Now, eez ze draw for ze Second Knockout Round.... Girondins Bordeaux or DNIPRO DNIPROPETROVSK..will play... Real Zaragoza or S.S.C Napoli!.."

20 February 2014

UEFA Europa League First Knockout Round

Stade Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux

Att: 20,799

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 4 - 1 Girondins Bordeaux

Eugene Konoplyanka 45+1

Diego Buonanotte 63, 79

Anatoily Tymoschuk 82 (pen)

Our only experience of the UEFA Europa League under my stewardship was a very disappointing 2-7 aggregate playoff defeat by Rapid Wien. So I was a little apprehensive going in this match. I recalled all the big guns, apart from suspensions for Lucas Zen and Artem Milevskyi. We also had 16 year old's Mykola Andrievskyi (AMC) and Mykhaylo Polyanskyi (GK) on the bench.

We kicked off and immediately settled earlier into our rhythm earlier than our opponents, who seemed to find that playing at home was weighing them down. We constantly probed and explored the Bordeaux defence for weaknesses and forced a good save from the keeper on the half-hour mark. Bordeaux had a few chances themselves too and it seemed that the game as heading into HT at 0-0, when Eugene Konoplyanka was set free down the right, he outpaced the fullback, then cut inside into the area and then quite brilliantly beat the keeper from an extremely acute angle. 1-0 up in first half ET and our travelling fans, who had made the 2,000 km trip, went utterly wild.

I went in at HT delighted and told the team so! No matter what, it was a great perfomance. We were pegged back five minutes after the restart as a corner was badly cleared and the Bordeaux midfielder fired home through the crowd into the net.

However, we refused to give up and a wonderfully sweeping move led to Diego Buonanotte side-stepping a defender and rolling the ball under the keeper for us to re-take the lead on 63 mins. And we stretched our lead further on 79 mins as Diego Buonanotte doubled his tally with a swift strike from just inside the box. 3-1 and we were all speechless..

There was STILL time for another as a trip in the box on 82 minutes, led to Anatoliy Tymoschuk slamming home a penalty to make it 4 away goals and 4-1 on the night... Absolutely stunning...

---------------------------------------------

[video=youtube_share;2lEw-YjNvCE]

27 February 2014

UEFA Europa League First Knockout Round, Second Leg

Att: 25,311

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (4)0 - 3(1) Girondins Bordeaux

Dnipro wins on away goals

With the second leg at some seeming a mere formality, I was seduced by that siren call of complacency. In came untested 16 year old's Mykola Andrievskyi at AMC and GK Mykhaylo Polyanskyi into the side along with the dirtiest player in European competition this season, Anthony Annan (4 yellow cards, 2 reds).

There was a party atmosphere around the ground as the fans turned up, expecting another demolition. And for the first 15 mins, the game was relatively benign. No major dramas from each side. However, that was blown out of the water with the three minutes that followed.. First off, a deep far post cross found the Bordeaux winger and his vicious strike found the roof of the net from a tight angle. 0-1. THEN, he popped up again, making a great run to beat the offside trap and slipping it under Polyanskyi. 0-2 in 18 minutes and the party atmosphere died completely.

We tried our best to mount some kind of counter, but found the Bordeaux keeper in sterling form. We went in at HT shell-shocked. I tore a strip off the players, subbung Andrievskyi for Alan Dzagoev and sent them back out.

It didn't make a difference on 59 minutes as the Bordeaux striker, bringing a long ball down on the run, took a touch and deftly lobbed a stranded Polyanskyi from over 25 yards to make it 4-4 on aggregate. Panic stations. I shut down the team as much as possible to try and ride out the game. Carlos Fierro had the ball in the net on 70 mins, but it was ruled out for offside. Finally, the whistle blew and the torture was over. We'd made it through to the Second Knockout Round!

-----------------------------

[video=youtube_share;2FeFIFPRHGc]

13 March 2014

UEFA Europa League Second Knockout Round

Att: 25,814

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 3 - 1 S.S.C Napoli

Eugene Konoplyanka 5

Giuliano 21, 58

A roar greeted us as we left the tunnel and walked onto the pitch. An almost tangible wave of sound and passion washed over the players as they walked out for their Second Knockout Round matchup against S.S.C Napoli of Italy. Rotational squad in for this because they have served the club well during this European run and also, the next match is against Shakhtar Donetsk. So we need the big guns free for that.

The whistle went and off we went. A wonderful passing move on 5 minutes saw Carlos Fierro free on the edge of the area. He looked up and put a slide-rule pass into the path of Eugene Konoplyanka who lashed high into the top corner. 1-0 and a dream start.

It got even better on 21 minutes as Fierro was hauled down as he dodged around a defender. Giuliano stepped up to take the kick and beautifully curled the ball round the wall and into the net via the keeper's despairing fingertips and the post. 2-0 and we were in dreamland.

They hauled us back with an away goal on 41 mins with a winger's goal, but we restored our 2 goal advantage on 58 minutes as Konoplyanka made yet another surging run down the left. He got to the byline and floated a delightful ball into the far post where Giuliano was rampaging in to thunder a header home, via the underside of the crossbar.

There were some long range efforts afterwards, but in truth the Italians were shell-shocked and rarely threatened after the third goal. This meant I could save my best players from coming on and keep them fresh for Shakhtar.

--------------------------

[video=youtube_share;DaU42uwllF8]

20 March 2014

UEFA Europa League Second Knockout Round, Second Leg

San Paolo, Naples

Att: 25,814

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (3)0 - 0(1) S.S.C Napoli

Anthony Annan s/o 75

A chilly night in Naples was only matched by the heat of this competition! In total, there were no goals, but over 10 cards shown to both teams, including ANOTHER red card shown to Anthony Annan, his fourth red card of the season and third in Europe!

Napoli beat us to the punch often and consistantly in this game, but the way we had set up to frustrate them, added to some titanic performances in the heart of defence meant that we came away with a 3-1 aggregate victory and a place in the Quarter-Finals of the UEFA Europa League.

----------------------------

Michel+Platini+Europa+League+draw

"Zis is ze draw for ze Qat-err Final of ze UEFA Europa League.... DNIPRO DNIPROPETROVSK, ze 'ome team, will play... Sporting Club de Portugal!.."

"Now, eez ze draw for ze Semi-Final.... Sporting Club de Portugal or DNIPRO DNIPROPETROVSK..will play... Tottenscum Hotspur or Borussia Dortmund.."

2014 Winter Break/Transfer Window Update

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 4 - 1 Girondins Bordeaux (UEFA Europa League, First Knockout Round, First Leg)

Eugene Konoplyanka 45+1

Diego Buonanotte 63, 79

Anatoily Tymoschuk 82 (pen)

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 0 - 3 Girondins Bordeaux (UEFA Europa League, First Knockout Round, Second Leg)

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 3 Arsenal Kyiv (Vyshcha Liha)

Artem Milevskyi 36

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 3 - 1 S.S.C Napoli (UEFA Europa League, Second Knockout Round, First Leg)

Eugene Konoplyanka 5

Giuliano 27, 58

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 4 - 3 Shakhtar Donetsk (Vyshcha Liha)

Carlos Fierro 40

Giuliano 45

Alan Dzagoev 48

Eugene Selezynov 55

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 0 - 0 S.S.C Napoli (UEFA Europa League, Second Knockout Round, Second Leg)

Anthony Annan s/o 75

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 2 Volyn Lutsk (Vyshcha Liha)

Anatoily Tymoschuk 42 (pen)

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 3 - 0 PFC Sevastapol (Vyshcha Liha)

Eugene Konoplyanka 11, 30

Roman Zozulya 89

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 3 - 2 Karpaty Lviv (Vyshcha Liha)

Denis Oliynyk 8

Alan Dzagoev 31

Eugene Selezynov 36

----------------------------------------

A great month for us, despite one or two reverses, mainly for the run in the Europa League!

Only two purchases in the transfer window. DLC Vyacheslav Lukhtanov for £170k from Dynamo Kiev and AMRC Horacio Gresi from Boca Juniors for £3m. Both are good young players that should serve us well going forward.

03 April 2014

UEFA Europa League Quarter Final, First Leg

Att: 29,000

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 0 - 0 Sporting Club de Portugal

A breezy night in the Ukraine was possibly the most interesting thing about this game. No yellow cards, no goals, no injuries...

----------------------------

10 April 2014

UEFA Europa League Quarter Final, Second Leg

Estádio José Alvalade XIII, Lisbon

Att: 33,434

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (0)1 - 1(0) Sporting Club de Portugal

Anthony Annan 4

A wet, damp night in Lisbon greeted us for the second leg of our Quarter Final against Sporting. Anthony Annan, despite my better judgement, came in for Tymoschuk, but otherwise, no changes to the first team squad.

However, we took the lead with only 5 minutes on the clock! A corner was badly cleared and came out to the far right where Giuliano swung a deep ball back in. Another weak header out fell to Anthony Annan who fired home low into the net from the edge of the area! GOAL! We got a vital away goal, but so early in the match and it gave Sporting every chance to get back in.

There was a lot of back and forth in the match from there on. And it led to Sporting tying the game up on 23 mins, when a long range strike deflected cruelly off Vorsah and flew past Sinan Bolat. 1-1 and we were under the cosh.

However, we made it to HT and I told the guys I was impressed with them and sent them back out. Sporting again had the edge, but we were just about holding on until 60 minutes when Giuliano bundled over the Sporting winger in the box. Penalty! The Sporting striker stepped up and fired low to the left of the goal. SAAAVE BY SINAN BOLAT! He plunged low to his left and beat the ball away.

That save totally took the stuffing out of Sporting and the rest of the game passed dully. A couple of long range efforts that were high, wide and not at all handsome and that was it for Sporting's participation in this year's Europa League. While we marched on stunningly!

----------------------------------

[video=youtube_share;P4GWGIaANZw]

24 April 2014

UEFA Europa League Semi Final, First Leg

Att: 29,000

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 0 - 0 Tottenscum Hotspur

Another heroic shutdown performance at home saw us come away with a vital level playing field and lack of away goals.

Chances were at a premium in this match with only 3 SOT for each side in the whole match. Anthony Annan picked up yet another yellow card, but other than that, the game passed without incident.

April 2014 Update

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 0 - 0 Sporting Clube de Lisbon (UEFA Europa League, Quarter Final, First Leg)

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 6 - 0 Metalist Kharkiv (Vyshcha Liha)

Eugene Selezynov 6 (pen)................. 3 players s/o 5, 70, 73

Javad Nekounam 47

Artem Milevskyi 77

Eugene Konoplyanka 80

Giuliano 81

Eugene Cheberyachko 90+1

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 1 Sporting Clube de Portugal (UEFA Europa League, Quarter Final, Second Leg)

Anthony Annan 4

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 0 Metalurg Zaporizhzya (Vyshcha Liha)

Eugene Konoplyanka 35

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 0 Tavria Simferopol (Vyshcha Liha)

Eugene Selezynov 36

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 0 - 0 Tottenscum Hotspur (UEFA Europa League, Semi Final, First Leg)

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 3 - 0 Dynamo Kyiv (Vyshcha Liha)

Denys Oliynyk 19

Carlos Fierro 25, 38

The Dnipropetrovsk Football Gazette

CHAMPIONS AGAIN!

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk are again Vyhscha Liha champions, following Shakthar's failure to win at Karpaty! More on p3...

14 May 2014

UEFA Europa League Final

Juventus Stadium, Turin

Att: 41,000

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk aet 1 - 0 Bayer Leverkusen

Eugene Seleznyov 108.......................................Player s/o 23

A dry cool evening in Turin. Home of the Turin Shroud, FIAT and the 2006 Winter Olympics. And now home of the 2014 UEFA Europa League Final. I was leading my Dnipro team into battle for this historic first ever final against Bayer 04 Leverkusen. Leverkusen had form in this competition, winning the 1988 UEFA Cup on penalties. I stuck with the usual team formula and sent them out, knowing they would make me proud.

Leverkusen looked out of sorts and really struggled to cope with us as we rained down hell on the Leverkusen goal. And their task was made so much harder as the Leverkusen striker, their danger man, saw red for a dangerous tackle from behind. Down to ten, Leverkusen just turtled and we spent the majority of the first half in theirs.

HT came and I told the boys how deeply proud I was of them. And sent them back out for the second half.

The second half took much the same form as the first as we totally controlled the game, but just could not break them down. The Leverkusen defence was very disciplined and blocked many of our shots. We finished 90 minutes taking 30 shots, with only 8 on target and 10 off target. However, this brought zero goals for each side and I had a very creeping feeling that we could be punished on this front. But I put on a stirring battle speech and set the guys back out there. STILL we couldn't break down Leverkusen's defence and we reached ET HT still tied at 0-0.

We kicked off the second half of ET and I was beginning to think about penalties. On 108 minutes, Javad Nekounam picked the ball up and threaded a ball into Konoplyanka. He moved towards it but, at the last minute, he dummied and ran over the ball, taking out the entire defence and leaving Eugene Selezynov to run on and finish superbly. 1-0! We'd made the breakthrough! We nearly gifted it back to them two minutes later however, as a Leverkusen defender was left free on a corner and his header smacked against the bar and went over.

That was it for action for the rest of the game and 10 minutes later, the ref blew his whistle, the fireworks started and the players tears started to flow. We had won the UEFA Europa League. Check that again. WE HAD WON THE UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE!!!

------------------------------------

[video=youtube;hmyi7dw_Zck]

Congratulations! Europe had started pretty badly with those big losses in the CL but the last few matches there were already much better (getting points out of both Real and Marseille) and once you've dropped to the Europa League your side blossomed. Well done domestically too in the Ukranian league.

With all the emotion you skipped the 2nd leg of the Tottenham semi-final. :D

"...It appears that Shakhtar Donetsk have decided who their new manager will be to replace the recently-retired Lucescu. Sources say that it's the man that's denied them a trophy for the past two seasons, Andrey Managerenko of rivals Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk..

Managerenko, who's Dnipro team have won the last two league titles and also recently captured the Europa League, seems to be the red hot favourite for the job. But will he want to move to his team's great rivals?.."

Congratulations! Europe had started pretty badly with those big losses in the CL but the last few matches there were already much better (getting points out of both Real and Marseille) and once you've dropped to the Europa League your side blossomed. Well done domestically too in the Ukranian league.

With all the emotion you skipped the 2nd leg of the Tottenham semi-final. :D

I actually typed over it with the Final result... :o

May 2014 Update

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 0 Oberlon Kyiv (Vyhscha Liha)

Anthony Annan 66

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk aet1 - 0 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (UEFA Europa League Final)

Eugene Selezynov 108........................... Player s/o 23

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - 0 Metalurg Donetsk (Vyhscha Liha)

Carlos Fierro 67

And that was all she wrote. Our first consecutive league title, a Europa League win, some top level talent arriving in the summer. My god... We should kill them all!!

Archived