Highest Profile Freebie

I'm sure we've all signed brilliant players in the past on a free (WHY their contracts are allowed to expire are beyond me...) So, I was wondering about the highest profile players you've signed on a free?

I've had a few including Wayne Hennessey, but I don't think any of them matched this hat-trick:

Sergio Busquets

Carlos Tevez

Mario Balotelli

*Waits for 100 posts saying they did the exact same thing*

In my long term Torino save (FM10) by 2030 we and Juventus were the biggest teams in the world, splitting between us 90% of the times national and international trophies. Obviously we were also, by far, the richest ones by a large margin.

Almost everyone in both squads starting lineup was homegrown and Italian, which was also the best national team. Among the best players in the world was one (evidently regen) Vincenzo Perfetti, Juventus striker and legend.

Around his 27 years of age his contract was expiring, but after some cheeky attempts from me he never showed any signs of being tempted to switch clubs, which giving the offer being from Torino was perfectly understandable. Right before it expired, however, his stance changed. He demanded mammoth terms but, hey, they were terms. So I offered them, and he signed.

I played out in my head several scenarios and reactions at the time to what would have been a transfer like this in real life, or better saying, a free transfer. Although the AI interpreted this as a big transfer there were no latent signs of betrayal - me and Ciro Ferrara (then Juve manager and legend) were already "friends" and remained so, and Perfetti even continued to be considered a legend in Juventus, eventually becoming one in Torino, retiring and remaining in the coaching staff along with all the other club legends/icons/favoured personnel. His duality and importance to both clubs of the city of Turin reminded me of Giuseppe Meazza in a way.

Never get any of the high profile players, main and easiest reason being the wage they ask (plus to get those players you need a high profile team which I don't usually take)... I rather take younger player with low wage demand and develop him. That being said the highest profile player I've ever get in FM 2012 is probably Shinji Kagawa (25k per week wage) and Gylfi Sigurdsson (15k per week... and while he may not be high profile at the start of the game he usually will develop into quality player)

Lampard, Smalling, Sturrdige and Morgan De Sanctis are mine. I was impressed when I got Lamps, very good on wages as well actually considering his rep. Scores some screamers to ;) De Sanctis pretty much single handedly won me the Euro Cup, so not a bad freebie.

Signed Tevez on a free on this years game before the.... is patch the right word? Anyway, when the game first game out, if Mancini stayed at City, Tevez would usually rot in the reserves until his contract expired.

2nd season freebies when i got promoted to the premier league with blackpool

Clarence Seedorf

Anatoliy Tymoshchuk

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

only got the first 2 though damned wage budget :p

o yea and Kagawa in the first database

got Rene Adler for free on my united save as well

Archived