League 1 Thread - 2012/13

G-Man11

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turn it into a "name a woeful manager from your team's past" exercise then. :D

CHRIS TURNER

Oh we're doing that? Any of our previous 10 managers or so who weren't called Mark Robins then :D

ANDY THORN, AIDY BOOTHROYD, CHRIS COLEMAN, IAN DOWIE, MICKY ADAMS, PETER REID, GARY MCALLISTER, ROLAND NILSSON.

Though tbf I always liked Roland.

Danny Wilson. Wait...

We've not done too bad over the last few years with the managers we've brought in. Irvine was a travesty but they were all working under some serious constraints.

What was wrong with Irvine? he has a 40.68% win rate. He was your best manager since 95 in terms of win rate :D

Can't believe you didn't mention Yorath though.

Didn't he get like 10 goals this season? Some of the hype is silly of course but that's actually a pretty good total for an 18 year old. Scored a couple of quality goals against us.

I think some people just have unrealistic expectations for an 18 year old because of how good Nick Powell was.

Downes? Not Wally Dowens surely? He was ****ing awful for us

Indeed the same one. Former player for us. He's even linked with been Page's assistant if he gets the job ffs :(

Clearly shopping if you check his tweets :D

This is a front.

I'm adamant you'll find Max Clayton's face plastered over the back pages of the Chester Chronicle.

Indeed the same one. Former player for us. He's even linked with been Page's assistant if he gets the job ffs :(

Mate, that's awful. He took over us after Steve Coppell left us, and within 18 months had us heading for relegation, that was 10 years ago and as far as I can remember he's not managed since. Bad times ahead man :(

What was wrong with Irvine? he has a 40.68% win rate. He was your best manager since 95 in terms of win rate :D

Can't believe you didn't mention Yorath though.

Win rate isn't an exact science though - Megson and DJ have better win rates and the likes of Laws and Sturrock managed at a higher level over far longer periods. We went down with him in charge and then we struggled in League One. He hadn't got a clue. The football was hideous even for our standards of recent times.

I try to blank the early 2000s out tbh. :D

Best win percentage of any manager we've ever had! 51% over 33 games.

Andy Thorn on the other hand 18% from 49 games :D

I was nominating Robins as our nomination for a **** manager. A lot of Rotherham fans wouldn't agree with me as he got results but I've never enjoyed the games less than I did when we had Robins in charge (though tbf we put in some good performances in the cup.)

Andy Scott's a good call though.

It's interesting that you told me he played negative football when we appointed him but under Robins we played free flowing attacking football. We were top scorers in the league when he left. So maybe it depends on the players he has at his disposal?

I was nominating Robins as our nomination for a **** manager. A lot of Rotherham fans wouldn't agree with me as he got results but I've never enjoyed the games less than I did when we had Robins in charge (though tbf we put in some good performances in the cup.)

Andy Scott's a good call though.

We can both agree that he's ****, but at least he managed to win league 2 with us

It's interesting that you told me he played negative football when we appointed him but under Robins we played free flowing attacking football. We were top scorers in the league when he left. So maybe it depends on the players he has at his disposal?

You might be the exception to the rule then or he's modified his style slightly as he's got more experience because I know when he was at Barnsley they didn't like his negative style of football either.

Tbf our defence was **** so maybe he just realised this and went all out to outscore the opposition :D With us playing with 2 incredibly attacking fullbacks we were practically playing with 2 at the back under him :D

This game probably summed up our time under robins.

Sheffield United's search for a new manager continues, the Club confirmed today (Tuesday).

"We are determined to follow a procedure to find the right person for Sheffield United," said Blades Chief Executive Julian Winter. "We recognise there is a lot of interest and we will make an announcement as soon as we are able to do so.

"We always knew it was likely to take some time but we are confident that our choice will be the right way forward for this club," said Mr Winter, part of a three man team with recruiting a new manager.

"We still have got some more interviews and will then look to appoint from the strong line-up of candidates."

In the meantime, Mr Winter has taken time out to comment on the 'disappointing' claims made in the media by Central Coast Mariners Head Coach Graham Arnold following his interview for the post.

Arnold suggested the Club was 'out of touch' with its requirements for the managerial post.

Mr Winter said: "Whilst Graham Arnold may have been responding to one or two challenging questions, I am flabbergasted and disappointed by Mr Arnold's remarks which are unprofessional, clearly misinformed and not the actual position of the club.

"Key information about how the club is structured and how it plans to operate has been clearly missed.

"We set out a clear manager profile to meet the future needs of the Club to 'act differently' in terms of player recruitment and continue the utilisation of home grown talent where the Club has been incredibly successful in recent years.

"The Club has reorganised to create a modern football department and has established a new player recruitment function through a Head of Football Operations, similar to Clubs like West Brom, Southampton, Cardiff and Watford who have all enjoyed an upturn in fortunes.

"We have also applied for Category Two status as an Academy with a clear football philosophy to take the Club forward," added Mr Winter.

Read more at http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/20130604-managerial-update-816045.aspx#m1lyCjzrMvJU4DLz.99

Latest from our club.

So basically it's a news item which could be summed up with:

"404 Manager not Found"

Pretty much. McCall was our only real option and our owners thought he'd sign and take the job so didn't really have a back up plan it seems. ****** club.

We're supposedly looking to sign Tom Adeyemi, Toumani Diagouraga and Clayton Donaldson, you heard anything about it Darren?

Seen the report in one of your local papers (the Herald I think?) I'd be very shocked tbh, last I heard was that a Championship club has offered Adeyemi a deal, which is why I suspect we've gone for McCormack. As for Diagouraga, I don't think we'd sell, he's fairly important to us, and no way we're selling you Donaldson Someone on our forums has said that Clayton has tweeted "Now I'm a Robin" but it's BS as he doesn't have a twitter account :D

What's your financial situation like these days? I would expect around £200K for Diagouraga and £500k for Donaldson, plus I'm lead to believe that Donaldson is on around £4k a week.

Like I say, would be very shocked, and disappointed, to lose either of them (we're not getting Tom now)

Archived