Crazy Canuck on European Managerial Tour - Hitchiking Across the Continent Again!

rancer890

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

----------------------------------------

167px-Spain_National_Football_Team_badge.png

* = Denotes newgen

Goalkeepers - David De Gea (Manchester United), Vicente Guaita (Valencia), Sergio Asenjo (At. Madrid)

Defenders - Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Alvaro Rodriguez (At. Madrid), Jordi Amat (Malaga), Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Jose Francisco Salinas (At. Madrid)*, Jordi Alba (Valencia)

Midfielders - Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Thiago (Barcelona), Rubin Perez (At. Madrid), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Sergio Busquets (Manchester United)

Forwards - Iker Muniain (Athletic), Kleber (Malaga), Patricio Manzano (Sevilla)*, Juan Diego (Sevilla)*

A couple changes from the previous squad. Juan Mata was suspended, so he wasn't eligible to be selected, and LB Jose Angel missed this selection because of injury. Newcomers Jose Francisco Salinas and Juan Diego are their replacements.

2022 World Cup Qualifying

Game 3: vs Cyprus - W 4-1 - Stats

We bring out the best of us at home, and another dominating win to boot.

Game 4: at Switzerland - W 4-0 - Stats

We're a bit different away from home though. The scoreline will say it was an easy win, but we didn't have many chances in the 1st half, and only late in the game when the Swiss wanted to push up for a goal did we fight back and score a few more goals to get another victory.

Standings

We're still at the top, but Ireland are close behind in 2nd.

----

Upcoming fixtures:

Nov. 14: vs England (Friendly)

Nov. 18: at Belgium (Friendly)

These two teams are at the top of their respective World Cup qualifying groups, so they will be both tough opposition.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

* = Denotes newgen

Goalkeepers - David De Gea (Manchester United), Vicente Guaita (Valencia), Sergio Asenjo (At. Madrid)

Defenders - Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Alvaro Rodriguez (At. Madrid), Jordi Amat (Malaga), Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Jose Francisco Salinas (At. Madrid)*

Midfielders - Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Thiago (Barcelona), Rubin Perez (At. Madrid), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

Forwards - Iker Muniain (Athletic), Kleber (Malaga), Patricio Manzano (Sevilla)*, Juan Diego (Sevilla)*, Ander Casado (Sporting)*

Jordi Alba is out with injury, and dropped Busquets. The replacements are Alvaro Vadillo and Ander Casado, both who have had impressive starts to the season. Casado is only 21 while Vadillo is 26. With the upcoming friendlies I'll be more willing to rotate and try some different things. For the most part I've stuck with the 4-2-4 with very good results but I would like to try out different players and combinations.

Manzano got injured, so Bojan (Barcelona) replaces him.

Friendlies

Nov. 14 - vs England - W 2-0 - Stats

Nov. 16 - at Belgium - L 0-2 - Stats

I was a bit disappointed with the Belgium game, because we really lacked the finishing compared to the other games I've managed with the team so far, but that was the game were I made the most adjustments and changes. As for my end of year assessment, I think we're really unbeatable at home, but on foreign soil we struggle a bit. I use the same tactics home and away but that might change. We will have to see next year.

2020 Record: 6 G - 5 W - 0 D - 1 L - 17 F - 7 A

2021 Fixtures (for now):

March 24: vs Luxembourg (WCQ)

June 5: at Serbia (WCQ)

Sept. 4: vs Ireland (WCQ)

Sept. 8: at Cyprus (WCQ)

Oct. 9: vs Switzerland (WCQ)

Oct. 13: at Luxembourg (WCQ)

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2020 Year in Review

BARCELONA - The 2020 season for the Spanish national team has just ended, and looking back, it was a fantastic year for La Furia Roja. The Spanish team won the most prestigious tournament on the continent, the European Championship, and are well on their way to qualifying for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Here's a look at the best of the national team in 2020.

SpainHistory_BestEleven.png

Starting at the back, there's Manchester United 'keeper David De Gea. The 30 year old has been a steady presence for club and country and he still has many years left in him to play at a high level. On defense, it's a slightly aged line as Mikel San Jose, Alvaro Dominguez, Gerard Pique, and Cesar Azpilicueta are all above 30, and Marc Bartra is nearly 30 as well.

In midfield, there's the main quartet of Kiko Femenia, Javi Martinez, Iker Muniain, and Cesc Fabregas. They are certainly not getting any younger, but for now they are still at the very top of their game.

Up front, there's a young star in Patricio Manzano. Kleber and Bojan are the other two familiar faces who played this past year.

There are also some stars of tomorrow that are looking to make a name for themselves in 2021 on the senior team. The likes of Ander Casado, Jose Francisco Salinas, and Juan Diego are already getting chances to play competitive games for the senior team and have every opportunity to become the great Spanish footballer. There will be more youngsters who will get a glimpse of the international stage as they continue to improve with their club teams and this will only help Spain as a whole in future competitions to keep winning. It will be important to have a seamless transition to the next crop of Spanish superstars so the current world rankings leader will continue to be #1 in the future.

Well, that was an amazing 17 days at Rubin! Full of accomplishment ;) Well done grabbing the Spain job, good luck qualifying for the World Cup :thup:

Cheers Scarman. I did do something at Rubin, signing a 3rd string 'keeper during my 2.5 week stay. :D

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

FEBRUARY 10, 2021

FRIENDLY - VS SWEDEN

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Goalkeepers - Sergio Asenjo (At. Madrid), David De Gea (Manchester United), Vicente Guaita (Valencia)

Defenders - Jordi Amat (Malaga), Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Alvaro Rodriguez (At. Madrid), Alfredo Lobo (Fiorentina)*, Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Jose Francisco Salinas (At. Madrid)*, Mikel San Jose (Athletic)

Midfielders - Eugenio Cagigas (At. Madrid)*, Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

Forwards - Ander Cassado (Sporting)*, Patricio Manzano (Sevilla)*, Iker Muniain (Athletic), Jorge Visconti (Deportivo)*

With an early February international friendly against 15th ranked Sweden, I decided to experiment some more, dropping the likes of striker Kleber, who is having a poor season with Malaga, and Gerard Pique, because I wanted to try some other long term options. The replacements are Alfredo Lobo, 21, who's having a good season with Fiorentina, and Jorge Visconti, 25, an Argentine who took Spanish citizenship, and might make his first appearance for Spain. It's important that we keep bleeding some new talent in the friendlies to give players a look without any pressure of qualifying or World Cup/Euro games.

It's great to see how exciting the future of Spanish football is up front, with the likes of Cassado, Manzano, and Juan Diego (who's currently injured), with Visconti (who will still be eligible for Argentina after this match regardless) as s good backup option. Our newgen midfielders and defenders are good, but don't have the depth just yet.

W 1-0 - Stats

Our finishing was poor, but the players that came into the squad were good, and the fans go home happy.

Upcoming Fixtures:

March 24: vs Luxembourg (WCQ)

June 5: at Serbia (WCQ)

-----

June 14: vs Colombia (Confederations Cup)

June 17: vs Qatar (Confederations Cup)

June 20: vs Cameroon (Confederations Cup)

-----

Sept. 4: vs Ireland (WCQ)

Sept. 8: at Cyprus (WCQ)

Oct. 9: vs Switzerland (WCQ)

Oct. 13: at Luxembourg (WCQ)

So as you can also see, we have the Confederations Cup since we're the winners of the 2020 Euros. Our group consists of Colombia, Qatar, and Cameroon, while the other group has Argentina, Australia, Mexico, and....Tuvalu, who beat New Zealand 1-0 in the 2020 OFC Nations Cup Final! They actually have no real players...anywhere.

Not too bad a start with Spain,I have to like Manzano and Casado,that looks like it can be a scary partnership up front :D

Cheers B.W.G. It's nice to see not everyone comes from Madrid and Barca, as Manzano and Casado have played for the same club their entire careers.

And tsk tsk Wigan, never seen this before:

RickyNakanoNews_Inbox-15.png

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

MARCH 24, 2021

2022 World Cup Qualifier - vs Luxembourg

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Goalkeepers - Sergio Asenjo (At. Madrid), David De Gea (Manchester United), Vicente Guaita (Valencia)

Defenders - Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Jose Angel (Malaga), Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Jose Francisco Salinas (At. Madrid)*, Mikel San Jose (Athletic)

Midfielders - Jordi Alba (Valencia), Sergio Busquets (Manchester United), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla), Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

Forwards - Ander Cassado (Sporting)*, Kleber (Malaga), Patricio Manzano (Sevilla)*

Dropped include Jordi Amat, Alvaro Rodriguez (injury), Alfredo Lobo, Iker Muniain (injury), and Jorge Visconti. Returning to the squad include Pique, Buscquets, Juan Diego, Kleber, and Jose Angel.

Spain 5-0 Luxembourg - Stats

So an expected win over Luxmebourg.

Standings

We're still perfect and Ireland are still right behind us.

Next match: June 5 in Serbia before we head off to Qatar for the Confederations Cup.

Nice to see a few newgens making the grade in the Spanish national side :)

Yup. Some aren't ready for competitive fixtures yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on them with their club teams. :)

The current core who are consistently playing in WCQ will be playing in Qatar provided they are healthy.

just caught up with your progress, a very productive time at Rubin! :D Good luck in the Confed cup with Spain, I'm sure Ricky Nakano can take them to glory! Also the transfer embargo feature has been around since at least FM10, I remember on a Portsmouth save game I was playing it happened, couldn't sign players and the administrator accepted all 'reasonable' bids for any of the players, lost all 3 of the first teamers I'd brought through from the U18 side :(.

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

JUNE 5, 2021

2022 World Cup Qualifier - at Serbia

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Defenders - Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Jose Angel (Malaga), Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Patxi Ugaide (Athletic)*

Midfielders - Jordi Alba (Valencia), Sergio Busquets (Manchester United), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla), Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

Forwards - Ander Cassado (Sporting)*, Kleber (Malaga), Iker Muniain (Athletic)

A couple minor changes, and both replacements coming in are Athletic players. Patxi Ugaide, 23, replaces Jose Francisco Salinas and could be in line for his first appearance for Spain, and Manzano is unavailable because of injury so Iker Muniain replaces him. Azpilicueta suffered an injury and is replaced by Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), who might make his 160th appearance for Spain.

The average age of this squad is 30.

Serbia 1-4 Spain - Stats

It was a closer game than it looked. Serbia had the ball quite a lot in the early going, but we scored that first goal, and then the second goal, to put pressure on them. We weren't exactly on our best but we won and that's what's important.

Standings

We're still 3 points ahead of Ireland and the next qualifying match will be against them at home in September.

Next up: the Confederations Cup in Qatar! The whole competition will be in one post.

Think he beat cerud for shortest stint at a club. :D

Might have to check cerud on that one. He didn't stay in LA for long in his previous save. :D

just caught up with your progress, a very productive time at Rubin! :D Good luck in the Confed cup with Spain, I'm sure Ricky Nakano can take them to glory! Also the transfer embargo feature has been around since at least FM10, I remember on a Portsmouth save game I was playing it happened, couldn't sign players and the administrator accepted all 'reasonable' bids for any of the players, lost all 3 of the first teamers I'd brought through from the U18 side .

Cheers Paul! I didn't even play one pre-season game before leaving. :D

I've seen this feature around but only in GD, I never actually saw it in my own game before till now.

I've gotten offers from Shakhtar, Fenerbahce, and Galatasaray so far, but have applied to Real Madrid and Man Utd jobs without any luck, so this job has helped me increase my rep somewhat, and I will examine my options after the 2022 World Cup...

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2021 FIFA Confederations Cup - Hosts: Qatar

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Defenders - Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Jose Angel (Malaga), Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Patxi Ugaide (Athletic)*

Midfielders - Jordi Alba (Valencia), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla), Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

Forwards - Ander Cassado (Sporting)*, Kleber (Malaga), Patricio Manzano (Sevilla)*, Iker Muniain (Athletic)

We only have one change. Out goes Busquets (most dispensable out of everyone on the squad) and in comes Manzano, who will hopefully be match fit when the games start. No way I'm leaving a player out who's averaging a goal a game internationally this season.

Group Stage

Game 1 - vs Colombia - W 3-1 - Stats

Game 2 - vs Qatar - W 2-0 - Stats

Game 3 - vs Cameroon - D 1-1 - Stats

Two wins and 1 draw usually should be enough to top the group, but Cameroon had a better goal difference, so they finish group winners while we're 2nd. We could have played a bit better but we (mostly) got the results we wanted.

Standings

As expected, Mexico and Argentina advance in the other group. We will face Group A winners Mexico in the Semi-Final.

Semi-Final - vs Mexico - W 2-0 - Stats

It was an even match, but we got that early goal and we got a late goal to secure the victory. Argentina beat Cameroon in the other semi.

Final - vs Argentina - W 1-0 - Stats

I went into the final with a conservative approach unlike the group stage games, and we did well enough to get that one goal and win the Confederations Cup!

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2021 International Friendly - vs Northern Ireland

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Goalkeepers - Sergio Asenjo (At. Madrid), David De Gea (Manchester United), Nene (Real Madrid)*

Defenders - Jordi Amat (Malaga), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Alvaro Dominguez (At. Madrid), Alfredo Lobo (Fiorentina)*, Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Patxi Ugaide (Athletic)*

Midfielders - Jordi Alba (Valencia), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla), Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

Forwards - Ander Cassado (Sporting)*, Jaime Hidalgo (Valencia)*, Patricio Manzano (Sevilla)*, Iker Muniain (Athletic)

An experimental squad before qualifiers. Free agent Guaita is out, and Brazilian born Nene, who tracked since I become manager of Spain while at Elche and now at Real Madrid, is in. Jordi Amat and Lobo are back in, and Dominguez returns after missing out on the Confederations Cup because of injury. The midfield group are the same, and upfront, Kleber is out and Hidalgo, 25, can make his second career international appearance.

If there's one thing I learned about the Confederations Cup, it's the fact that I have to start bleeding some youngsters in, so it's highly unlikely the likes of Pique and Ramos will ever get another cap under my management.

Spain 2-0 Northern Ireland - Stats

A solid win, despite that we couldn't finish the game with 11 men...

Next five matches will be qualifying games and I might make more changes as I look to get (somewhat) younger with the squad.

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2021 September

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Goalkeepers - Sergio Asenjo (At. Madrid), David De Gea (Manchester United), Nene (Real Madrid)*

Defenders - Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Alvaro Dominguez (At. Madrid), Alfredo Lobo (Fiorentina)*, Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Patxi Ugaide (Athletic)*

Midfielders - Sergio Busquets (Manchester United), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla), Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

Forwards - Ander Cassado (Sporting)*, Jaime Hidalgo (Valencia)*, Patricio Manzano (Sevilla)*, Iker Muniain (Athletic)

Cesar Azpilicueta draws back into the squad, replacing Jordi Amat. Jordi Alba, who I wasn't really playing much, is dropped in favour of Sergio Busquets. The next two games against Ireland and Cyprus are pivotal to our chances of clinching top spot in the group and automatically going to the World Cup.

September 4 - vs Ireland - W 2-0 - Stats

After the match, De Gea had a strained neck so Vicente Guaita, who's still a free agent, is back in. One more win and we're officially going to Qatar again.

September 8 - at Cyprus - W 2-0 - Stats

And we're going to the World Cup!

Standings

Spain and England are the only 2 undefeated teams in the competition and are the first two European teams to secure a spot in Qatar. Nene has now been tied to Spain for his international career.

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2021 October

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Defenders - Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Alvaro Dominguez (At. Madrid), Alfredo Lobo (Fiorentina)*, Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Jose Francisco Salinas (At. Madrid) Mikel San Jose (Athletic)

Midfielders - Sergio Busquets (Manchester United), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla), Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

The same 3 'keepers are here for the final qualifying games, although Asenjo isn't a starter anymore. So we're down to 2 good 'keepers. Ugaide is dropped and Jose Francisco Salinas returns temporarily. The rest are the same because no one has impressed me enough to replace them even for a couple (meaningless) matches.

October 9 - vs Switzerland - D 1-1 - Stats

October 13 - at Luxembourg - W 4-0 - Stats

We could have done a bit better against the Swiss, but our finishing was terrible. At Luxembourg we did what we were supposed to do with squad mostly at full strength.

Standings

So we finish qualifying on top. The other nations who have automatically qualified include: Turkey, England, Belgium, Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Italy, and Bulgaria.

The second place teams qualifying, typed by their position in second place group: Sweden, France, Ireland, Netherlands, Slovenia, Israel, Greece, and Romania. Bosnia & Herzegovina was the other second place team and only team to not make it to the playoffs.

Notable failures include: Portugal (3rd in Group 3), Croatia (3rd in Group 7), and Germany (3rd in Group 9).

----

We have two upcoming friendlies to end the year: November 13 at Slovakia, and November 17 at home against Peru.

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2021 November

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Goalkeepers - Julian (Levante)*, Pemphero Matano (Valencia)*, Nene (Real Madrid)*

Defenders - Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Alvaro Dominguez (At. Madrid), Alfredo Lobo (Fiorentina)*, Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Patxi Ugaide (Athletic)*

Midfielders - Sergio Busquets (Manchester United), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla)*, Juan Pedro (Valencia)*, Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis)

----

Asenjo and De Gea are both injured, so I have to call up the 4th and 5th options. Ugaide returns to the squad and replaces Salinas, and Juan Pedro (25) is the new addition, temporarily replacing Thiago.

----

November 13th - at Slovakia - W 4-0 - Stats

November 17th - vs Peru - W 4-2 - Stats

A couple straightforward friendly games.

In other news, France, Israel, Netherlands, and Greece will be going to the World Cup.

-----

Full list of teams who will enter in the draw in December for the groups in the 2022 World Cup:

Hosts - Qatar

AFC - Japan, Iran, South Korea, Saudi Arabia

CONMEBOL - Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Colombia

UEFA - Spain, England, Turkey, Belgium, Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Italy, Bulgaria, France, Greece, Israel, Netherlands

CONCACAF - Mexico, Costa Rica, USA

CAF - Cameroon, South Africa, Algeria, Nigeria, Morocco

112px-FIFA_World_Cup.jpg

2022 World Cup: Hosts - Qatar

Everyone has gathered around to view the draw for the 2022 World Cup. Spain are one of the 1st seeds in the competition, and manager Ricky Nakano has no expectations.

"Whoever we face, we're fine with that," he said, "who we face in the Group Stage is out of our control. Regardless of who we face, we're going to continue in to work on all phases of our tactics in training, make sure our players are in peak physical fitness, and look at film during our off-pitch sessions to examine the tendencies of our opponents and devise a gameplan against them to come out victorious. We're heading to Qatar to do one thing, and that's to lift the trophy in the Final."

Here's the results of the draw:

Group A - Algeria (34th), Bulgaria (43rd), Qatar (71st), USA (50th)

Group B - Brazil (4th), Costa Rica (54th), England (7th), France (12th)

Group C - Colombia (15th), Japan (64th), Netherlands (11th), Russia (18th)

Group D - Argentina (2nd), Czech Republic (21st), Mexico (5th), South Africa (10th)

Group E - Cameroon (3rd), Greece (19th), Iran (69th), Uruguay (35th)

Group F - Belgium (17th), Chile (8th), Saudi Arabia (57th), Turkey (9th)

Group G - Israel (28th), Italy (6th), Morocco (14th), South Korea (47th)

Group H - Australia (46th), Nigeria (13th), Spain (1st), Ukraine (24th)

Overall, there are some interesting groups. It'll be fun in Group B and D. Spain's group will be straightforward.

Good luck at the WC- I'm expecting big things, considering you've sacrificed your club career for this national side :D
Yeah, it had better pay off :D

The school of thought was to focus on Spain until at least the World Cup, and then go clubbing. As in find a club team to manage of course, not that other definition. :D

If I manage a club I will quit Spain.

And besides, some managers at big clubs will venture into international management after the World Cup, so there will be openings. :)

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2021 Year in Review

BARCELONA - La Furia Roja have confirmed their place in the 2022 World Cup earlier in the year and in 2021 they won the FIFA Confederations Cup. Another year with manager Ricky Nakano, another year with a lot of success as the team finished the year unbeaten 15 competitive and friendly games. 2022 is a big year with the World Cup in Qatar, and with everyone in Spain expecting the team to be successful and lift that trophy.

SpainHistory_BestEleven-1.png

I didn't use the 442 for one second in 2021, yet the best XI is in that formation...anyways onto the key players for Spain.

David De Gea was once again the main starter, but a backup has emerged in Nene, who also led Brazilian and Portuguese passports. If he's the main starter at Real Madrid, I'm sure he's got some good talent. He's a solid #2 'keeper for the Spanish team.

Martin Montoya, Mikel San Jose, Marc Bartra, and Ivaro Dominguez are all a year older, but they're still talented enough to play at a high level and on the national team for the upcoming World Cup. Patxi Ugaide and Alfredo Lobo will be part of the future.

The midfield has largely stayed the same, with Kiko Femenia, Javi Martinez, Iker Muniain, Cesc Fabregas, and Ivaro Vadillo are still my key midfielders. I haven't had anyone who will be key for the next generation of Spanish internationals.

Our forwards are very talented, with Patricio Manzano and Ander Casado being our key players. Kleber has been having a good season with Malaga and the veteran will definitely get a good in camp after the season. Jaime Hidalgo has emerged as well as a good option as well and I'll want to give him an extended look.

2022 Fixtures:

March 2: at Ecuador

May 24: vs Ivory Coast

May 28: vs Brazil

June 6: vs Ghana

----​World Cup

June 15: vs Nigeria

June 20: vs Australia

June 24: vs Ukraine

Should do quite well,I reckon quarter finals at minimum if I was the Spanish FA but I'm not and they probably want you in the semis :D

If everything goes to plan we'll be #1. :)

I'm most worried how we'll do against Africa teams in particular. Cameroon was a real challenge in the Confed Cup and learned a lot about how we should play in such a short competition.

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2022 March

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Goalkeepers - David De Gea (Manchester United), Pemphero Matano (Valencia)*, Nene (Real Madrid)*

Defenders - Jordi Amat (Malaga), Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Alvaro Dominguez (At. Madrid), Alfredo Lobo (Fiorentina)*, Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Patxi Ugaide (Athletic)*

Midfielders - Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla)*, Juan Pedro (Valencia)*, Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona)

----

Sergio Busquets is injured for a couple months and I'm not sure if he'll make the World Cup squad. Alvaro Vadillo is also out with injury. So two familiar faces draw back in with Jordi Amat and Thiago. Cesc Fabregas and Cesar Azpilicueta so they will be replaced by Iban Virgili, 24 (Valencia), and Antonio Garcia, 23 (Cagliari). And then De Gea and Azpilicueta are withdrawn so Jose Francisco Salinas (At. Madrid), and Vicente Guaita (Malaga) are recalled.

W 3-2 - Stats

I was expecting a slightly easier match, but Ecuador put up a good fight. I worked on attacking movement this match and although I was really happy with our display offensively, the movement from offense to defense wasn't very good. The next game will be after the club season and I would be willing to sign on the dotted line with the right club.

It's not the friendlies I would have arranged, but Ivory Coast, Brazil, and Ghana will have to do. 30 players will have to impress by the end of the season to be picked for the preliminary squad.

200px-Logo_Sport.svg.png

2022 May

* = Denotes newgen

Squad:

Goalkeepers - David De Gea (Manchester United), Vicente Guaita (Malaga), Pemphero Matano (Valencia)*, Nene (Real Madrid)*

Defenders - Jordi Amat (Malaga), Cesar Azpilicueta (Marseille), Marc Bartra (FC Bayern), Alvaro Dominguez (At. Madrid), Eduardo (At. Madrid)*, Alfredo Lobo (Fiorentina)*, Martin Montoya (At. Madrid), Mikel San Jose (Athletic), Patxi Ugaide (Athletic)*

Midfielders - Jordi Alba (Porto), Eugene Cagigas (At. Madrid), Sergio Canales (Fiorentina), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Kiko Femenia (Lyon), Javi Martinez (Athletic), Juan Diego (Sevilla)*, Juan Pedro (Valencia)*, Ruben Perez (At. Madrid), Thiago (Barcelona), Alvaro Vadillo (Betis), Iban Virgill (Valencia)*

Forwards - Ander Cassado (Sporting)*, Jaime Hidalgo (Valencia)*, Patricio Manzano (Sevilla)*, Iker Muniain (Athletic), Pedro (Celta)*

----

Spain manager Ricky Nakano has announced his 30 man preliminary squad for the upcoming 2022 World Cup. There are no real surprises and thankfully no injuries so the squad will at full strength. Gone are the likes of Gerard Pique and Sergio Ramos (who will both be retiring in July) and Sergio Busquets. 7 of these players will be cut, and those on the fringes will be given the most opportunity to impress. However, with only 3 friendlies before the Group Stages, opportunities will be slim and those on the bubble will have to make a great first impression to secure their spot on the final 23 man squad.

Archived