Expanding the challenges forum to cover all save game discussion - opinions please

Great to see that people understand my point of view but not necessarily agree with it. End of day yes of coruse there should be some near impossible challenges but I cant spend 24 / 7 trying to acheive them Id just love say a weekly challenge of something that may or may not be done.

e.g. qualify West Ham for UEFA cup, Spurs for Champions league, win the league with Liverpool, keep Hull in premiership etc etc

I mean lets face it if any of these came true for season 08/09 in real life Id be amazed would you?

It wouldn't surprise me if West Ham qualified for the Uefa Cup, Spurs beat Liverpool to 4th and qualified for the Champions League, Liverpool winning the league is obviously not going to happen, but I feel Hull have a reasonable chance of staying up. I hope that doesn't sound like i'm trying to start an argument, but most of those things aren't really that unlikely.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great to see that people understand my point of view but not necessarily agree with it. End of day yes of coruse there should be some near impossible challenges but I cant spend 24 / 7 trying to acheive them Id just love say a weekly challenge of something that may or may not be done.

e.g. qualify West Ham for UEFA cup, Spurs for Champions league, win the league with Liverpool, keep Hull in premiership etc etc

I mean lets face it if any of these came true for season 08/09 in real life Id be amazed would you?

After a fair bit of thought, dafuge created a monthly challenge that surprisingly died a bit of a death if I'm honest.

Only a few participants joined and these were existing regulars in teh dafuge/Gundo thread who started an existing game rather than newcomers who weren't competing in a challenge.

I was surprised that there wasn't a bigger up-take on this, but I suppose the dafuge challenge started pretty slowluy and Gundo's is an off-shoot of that so maybe we were being unrealistic expecting a better response.

If that was going to be continued then it would really need to be advertised in GQ to increase numbers, (like in the way that Ter advertised the San Marino challenge). I'm not sure that this is possible with the new forum though.

To be honest I've only just worked out how to quote and still havent got the foggiest about smilies or multi-quotes/bolds etc etc.

Guest roberto922

If it means I can post about my AFC Wimbledon game without getting slagged off for signing someone that isn't within 8.6432394 miles of my Stadium or something ridiculous like that then I am all for it :D Good luck with it Dafuge and Cleon and I hope you manage to get a new sub forum for it :thup: does it cost any more to make new sub forums? If not I don't see why they would say no. In my opinion I think the respected old timers like Nep are set in their ways and worried about change ;)

Spurs beat Liverpool to 4th and qualified for the Champions League, Liverpool winning the league is obviously not going to happen

There you go then win premier league with Liverpool in 1st season and at worse 2nd season. You cant say everyone can do this esay peasy.

P.S. Wonder what Keano would think if Spurs beat liverpool to 4th

In response to the suggestion. I see no problem with it. I assume someone has asked for it therefore it's fine.

I don't like how the OTF equivalent is refered to as 'odd' it works well and serves a purpose. I know many people never venture away from OTF so it's a vaild thread. Also why would it be split into clubs? thats just the same style as the good player guide. One of the reason I use the OTF thread is so I can glance through a few pages of mini stories of many clubs. I wouldn't bother if all were split up by club. I wouldn't even check the club I support. So I see no point in doing that in the challenges section.

Variety is always good in any thread especially when it's new. I see very little value in having say 30 club threads when one huge thread would serve the same purpose. For example if you are managing A.C Milan and someone is updating the thread with information about Juventus then it can be nearly if not equally as useful. But always interesting.

In response to the suggestion. I see no problem with it. I assume someone has asked for it therefore it's fine.

I don't like how the OTF equivalent is refered to as 'odd' it works well and serves a purpose. I know many people never venture away from OTF so it's a vaild thread. Also why would it be split into clubs? thats just the same style as the good player guide. One of the reason I use the OTF thread is so I can glance through a few pages of mini stories of many clubs. I wouldn't bother if all were split up by club. I wouldn't even check the club I support. So I see no point in doing that in the challenges section.

Variety is always good in any thread especially when it's new. I see very little value in having say 30 club threads when one huge thread would serve the same purpose. For example if you are managing A.C Milan and someone is updating the thread with information about Juventus then it can be nearly if not equally as useful. But always interesting.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear there. I meant it was an odd place for this type of career discussion to happen from the perspective of a non-OTF user. At the moment, that thread seems to be the only place where people can post about their FM careers without any restrictions, to have it in a forum which is designed for non-FM related stuff seems a bit odd. At the moment it's only the people in OTF who have the freedom to post about their games like this, using that thread, I'm suggesting that there should be a place on the forums specifically designed for it.

Should a new forum be started, the structure of it would be something that would need to be thought out well. At the moment I think there could be two types of threads needed: club threads for those wishing to managing just the one club and only hear from managers of the same club (basically the career discussion that is currently in GPTG) and more general threads covering groups of clubs, for those wishing for a more general discussion and those who want to move around clubs (a bit like the career thread in here and the OTF thread).

Guest roberto922

How about if you had a thread for each major league as stickies and then you added a lin thread at the top linking to the various club threads (ones that people talk about alot e.g Big 4) and the less talked about leagues. I feel this would provide all the facilities needed to talk in your appropriate thread for your mood that day or depending on what question you have.

I think maybe you could also have threads for International managers? I'm sure the various managers that like to play that way instead would love that kind of thread.

Robert

Guest roberto922

In response about the career threads in GPTG, I think they're slowly dying out atm except for the huge clubs threads, this could be the boost to give them another breath of life hopefully :thup:

I think this is a good idea, but think it would have to split up into different sections, I think a thread for each league in the game, and then seperate threads for the Big teams would be the best way to go.

Also on a side note the Monthly Challenges could/should be brought back IMO, and make it a sticky each month. I know Dafuge doesn't like the word OFFICIAL, but may have an OFFICIAL monthly challenge that is stickied would encourage more users to sign up.

Also the way they did it in another forum (Fm4rums) before it died, was to give the winner a special title under their name, such as Official July Challenge Winner or soemthing along those lines, which would last until the finish of the next challenge.

Just a though as the monthly challenges were the most popular on the fm4rums site, having literally 50odd people playing each one.

I think this is a good idea, but think it would have to split up into different sections, I think a thread for each league in the game, and then seperate threads for the Big teams would be the best way to go.

Also on a side note the Monthly Challenges could/should be brought back IMO, and make it a sticky each month. I know Dafuge doesn't like the word OFFICIAL, but may have an OFFICIAL monthly challenge that is stickied would encourage more users to sign up.

Also the way they did it in another forum (Fm4rums) before it died, was to give the winner a special title under their name, such as Official July Challenge Winner or soemthing along those lines, which would last until the finish of the next challenge.

Just a though as the monthly challenges were the most popular on the fm4rums site, having literally 50odd people playing each one.

The short term challenges is another thing Cleon and I have been discussing, it is something which hasn't really been explored in this forum yet it has been going on elsewhere for some time. Our idea was to combine the ideas across the relevant forums and bring the whole thing together, which would hopefully raise the profile of it.

The short term challenges is another thing Cleon and I have been discussing, it is something which hasn't really been explored in this forum yet it has been going on elsewhere for some time. Our idea was to combine the ideas across the relevant forums and bring the whole thing together, which would hopefully raise the profile of it.

Well it's one Id be interested in, the small term challenge that is. It could be set say each Monday and deadline is say by the next sunday to then see who has done best, people could send in what they have acheived and comparisons can be made.

I remember Cleon starting a sheff utd game and we had to get them to premiership or something which is kind of the idea I would like to take part in.

Guest roberto922

I've thought of something for the Challenges forum, sorry if this is the wrong thread but how about awards like they have in FM Stories? Stuff like Writer of the year, newcomer of the year, challenge of the year, flop of the year. or maybe have it monthly?

Guest roberto922

The threads basically dead atm WW, do they have a newcomers award for it? I think I could at least have a nomination :D

Yups, open it up to the wider community instead of the niche of people who currently take part in them.

Well it's one Id be interested in, the small term challenge that is. It could be set say each Monday and deadline is say by the next sunday to then see who has done best, people could send in what they have acheived and comparisons can be made.

I remember Cleon starting a sheff utd game and we had to get them to premiership or something which is kind of the idea I would like to take part in.

That was one of my many scenarios over the last 2 years:D I also did Man City, West Ham, Ajax and some others. All with different objectives, some harder than others.

If me and Dafuge are to explore this, then there are lots of things we do/create and set up to make each one different, so variety would be good.

I also like the idea of an awards threads, run by the mods and we could assign people to deal with the niminations votes etc and rotate them, incase someone isn't active etc.

For what is worth, I'd like to say that this would really be a step in the right direction IMHO.

However, I'm undecided on the format.

I really think a new save game discussion forum (or make a subforum in it to add AI experiments and signups) would add more than expanding this one to include all the stuff. Otherwise I think AI experiments and signups will suffer too much from the increased activity that the save game discussion will generate.

A thing I think you really should add, dafuge, is a kind of HoF inclusion for individual careers in challenges or the new save games to come. Outsanding careers (Nepenthez at Gundo's 08, dafuge at dafuge's 06 (was it 06, wasn't it?), quickly spring to mind) should be then reunited and reposted as a single thread as in Career of the year (or something like that).

You could also create some kind of a manager of the month (or something like this) thingie, to highlight a career still in progression which deserved more traffic/reads than it's currently getting.

It'd be then simpler to save those careers for posterity (as backing up that career would be quite more simple than backing up the whole challenge thread).

On the formating of the new save game discussion threads, I don't think divisional/country threads would work that well (what if you get promoted, what if you change teams to a different country?) but I really struggle to come up with an idea that would quickly allow to gather the umpteen careers into a single thread.

Single career threads would probably clutter the new forum too much. Single club threads will simply degenerate in only people managing that club reading you (and have the inconvenient of manager changing clubs). Divisional threads have the promotion and changing clubs (or even change club to a different country) problem.

Sorry for the long post. I'll probably expand on some ideas later, but I have some urgent things to do workwise.

A thing I think you really should add, dafuge, is a kind of HoF inclusion for individual careers in challenges or the new save games to come. Outsanding careers (Nepenthez at Gundo's 08, dafuge at dafuge's 06 (was it 06, wasn't it?), quickly spring to mind) should be then reunited and reposted as a single thread as in Career of the year (or something like that).

You could also create some kind of a manager of the month (or something like this) thingie, to highlight a career still in progression which deserved more traffic/reads than it's currently getting.

I really like those ideas. With the new forum software it would be possible to copy posts directly from an existing thread and create a new one so this would be something that could easily be done with a bit of work.

Anyway, I don't want to get too carried away with discussing the ins and outs of a new forum with no guarantee that it is a possibility to happen.

Guest roberto922

Or you could do a forum Hall of Fame based on peoples scores in the Worldwide HoF in the game., to keep it fair maybe a HoF for people that start in lower league and then another one for people that start in the top league.

Cool, in that case would it be ok if SI paid me £1 for every post I've made on the forum please.

I have asked so.......:)

[Jimbo dances while singing "I've got £12,000. I've got £12,000 I've got £12,000"]

Guest roberto922

Jesus, Dafuge would be sorted for life :D £99k or something like that lol. I wouldn't say no to £3000 though :D

Guest roberto922

Yeah you'd think it would at least move the eyes like it used to eh :D That could be a problem though Daf, alot of fans could slag others clubs off saying how crappy and small they are if you don't set clear rules.

Yeah you'd think it would at least move the eyes like it used to eh :D That could be a problem though Daf, alot of fans could slag others clubs off saying how crappy and small they are if you don't set clear rules.

That's why I'm interested to see how this new career thread gets on, it could give us an idea about how we should structure things for the future.

Archived