The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't replace larsson. but i hope/expect celtic will bring in a few players to replace the overall game and threat he had.

certainly if sutton or hartson get injured, with the squad as it is right now we'd struggle.

but equally if youre new sigings get injured you're stymied.

think it will be an interesting season anyway. should be much closer

• SI Staff

I'm not too worried about the squad we've got for next season so far...

Goalies

Stefan Klos

Allan McGregor

Defenders

Fernando Ricksen

Craig Moore

Robert Malcolm

Zurab Khizanishvili

Paolo Vanoli

Michael Ball

Maurice Ross

Alan Hutton

Marvin Andrews

Jean-Alain Boumsong

Midfielders

Gavin Rae

Stephen Hughes

Chris Burke

Hamed Namouchi

Dragan Mladenovic

Alex Rae

Forwards

Shota Arveladze

Steven Thompson

Peter Lovenkrands

Ross McCormack

Bajram Fetai

Nacho Novo

Dado Prso

• SI Staff

We could do with a couple of other midfielders right enough after looking at that, although Fernando can come in to midfield if needed and *gulp* Bob Malcolm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

I'm not too worried about the squad we've got for next season so far...

_Goalies_

Stefan Klos

Allan McGregor

_Defenders_

Fernando Ricksen

Craig Moore

Robert Malcolm

Zurab Khizanishvili

Paolo Vanoli

Michael Ball

Maurice Ross

Alan Hutton

Marvin Andrews

Jean-Alain Boumsong

_Midfielders_

Gavin Rae

Stephen Hughes

Chris Burke

Hamed Namouchi

Dragan Mladenovic

Alex Rae

_Forwards_

Shota Arveladze

Steven Thompson

Peter Lovenkrands

Ross McCormack

Bajram Fetai

Nacho Novo

Dado Prso <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do look a little short handed I'd say considering that Ricksen, Moore and Ball are all on the transfer list. Ball probably won't play for the club again as we don't want to pay the extra 1/2 mill to Everton.

There is also absolutely no strength in depth there. I mean a couple of injuries and Bob Malcolm comes in. That can't be good. On the plus side though I'm a bit more optimistic that we'll be able to put more chances away this season. I'm just a bit concerned about who create the chances in the first place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>'Moore-gate' draws international storm

Rangers have come under fire from FIFA president Sepp Blatter and Australian prime minister John Howard for slapping axed skipper Craig Moore on the transfer list.

Sepp Blatter: Was never going to keep quiet over this one (StuartFranklin/GettyImages)

Ibrox manager Alex McLeish stripped the defender of the captaincy and told him to look for a new club after insisting that he wants to represent his country at the Olympics.

But Blatter told the Sydney Morning Herald: 'To participate in the Olympic Games is an honour.

'It is an honour for the player, but it should also be an honour for the club.

'The experience would benefit both the player and the club.'

The FIFA president pointed to former German start Jurgen Klinsmann, who rated the bronze medal he won at the Seoul Olympics as his proudest moment in football.

Moore, who has been chosen to lead the 'Olyroos' in Greece, would miss the start of the Scottish season because of his Olympic commitments.

But Howard, who will hold a private meeting with Blatter on Sunday, also threw his weight behind Moore.

He said: 'My initial reaction is one of disappointment.

'I never like to see people suffer because they want to play for Australia, but I don't know all the details of it.'

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny how Craig Moore is comming out of this smelling of roses while rangers are the bad guys...

He is not good enough to play for us anymore, his injurys have taken thier toll and he has lost his burst of pace, just hope we can get anything over 500k for him and maybe bring in Stephen Hammell...

the australian press is going cock-a-hoop praising moore and bad mouthing rangers over this.

the problem being that baltter - as usual - has only bothered to learn half the facts before jumping in with his idiotic opinion.

it's fairly well documented that moore and eck aren't best buddies, and the fact that moores contract is getting close to expriring, and has meant that this has been coming for a while. the olympics has just brought the issue to a head.

if moore had of signed the new deal he was offered this wouldn't have happened imo. so to cite his decision to play in the olympics as the sole reason for all of this is just wrong.

Craig Moore was'nt offered a new deal due to his injury problems, but there was talk that if he could get over them he would be given a new deal.

All in all the man is trying to get away from rangers and try somthing new, which is fair enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

Craig Moore was'nt offered a new deal due to his injury problems, but there was talk that if he could get over them he would be given a new deal.

All in all the man is trying to get away from rangers and try somthing new, which is fair enough. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif

when he was in australia for the matches against turkey (didn't play - injured icon_biggrin.gif ), he was asked about his future. he told the tv station covering the game that he was considering the contract offered to him by rangers, but he wanted to see what direction the club was heading in before he considered signing it...

The club publicly stated the both Moore and Shota Arveladze would be offered new contracts in they could prove thier fitness in the first few months of the new season.

It was around that time that Moore stated he wanted to know who was comming in before he would sign anything.

• SI Staff

Moore wasn't put on the transfer list just because he wants to play in the Olympics. He was pish last season and he most likely wouldn't get in the team.

It was because of talks between him and McLeish about his status at the club that resulted in him not being the captain and being placed on the transfer list.

I'd have slapped him straight on it as soon as he stalled on a new deal and waiting to see who was being brought in. That shows a severe lack of commitment in my opinion.

We still need a left winger and another attacking midfielder to complete our squad for next season.

Anyone know of any players we're rumoured to be getting?

I don't think Michael Stewart is the answer really, be a decent squad player though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Toner:

We also need a left back(if ball goes) another central defender(to replace Moore, as that will leave us with Zura, Boumsong, Andrews and Fat Boab) and a keeper as McGregor is going on loan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have Dundee anybody left to fill that list?

Lee Wilkie icon_biggrin.gif pity he got injured as he fits the McLeish criterea of big, strong and Dundonian icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fazza:

i must congratulate rangers on their stupidity in selling mikel arteta <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ermmm Ok then.... How was it stupid??? Mikel really just wasnt suited to the SPL, i have no doubt he could go on to be a very good player however he wasnt a great performer by us at all and went missing in big games.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fazza:

i must congratulate rangers on their stupidity in selling mikel arteta <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Explain please

the transfer was the best move for both parties.

According to itv teletext we're in for him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

NEWS

Unsworth: Out-of-contract

AGENT: UNSWORTH COULD MOVE TO IBROX

David Unsworth's agent has revealed the out-of-contract Everton defender could join Rangers ahead of the new season.

Unsworth, 30, is also a target of Portsmouth, Bolton and West Brom but Hadyn Evans said: "There are three offers for David. I spoke to Rangers on Thursday about him.

"He will decide over the weekend where his future lies but I wouldn't rule out a move to Ibrox."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.teletext.co.uk/sport/generic.asp?slot=104&page=1&ref=345

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ibroxclubworshipper:

Yeah Unsworth would be decent, always thought he was quite good and his versatility to cover both positions we could do with cover in is certainly an advantage. But have Portsmouth not already tied him up? According to Ceefax he is due for a medical at Fratton Park early next week. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the portsmouth chairman was on SSN yesterday saying unsworth, lualua and Fuller had all shaken hands and would sign after their medical. Maybe he has changed his mind. Wouldn't be the first time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Nice

the portsmouth chairman was on SSN yesterday saying unsworth, lualua and Fuller had all shaken hands and would sign after their medical. Maybe he has changed his mind. Wouldn't be the first time <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it says on teletext he will decide over the weekend what to do, he could and prolly will end up a Fratton park tho.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

MIKEL ARTETA has joined La Liga outfit Real Sociedad for a fee in the region of five million euros plus a sell-on clause, ending his two-year association with the Light Blues.

The 22-year-old midfielder, who moved to Rangers from Barcelona in 2002 on the back of an impressive loan spell at Paris Saint Germain, completed a medical and put pen to paper in San Sebastian at the weekend.

Rangers' Director of Football Business Martin Bain said: "We really hope Mikel does well at Sociedad. There is a sell-on clause within the deal so it is in our interests that he goes on from strength to strength.

"Alex McLeish feels his time in Scotland has benefited the physical side of his game so we wish him every success in the future. We have been in discussions with Real Sociedad for a number of months and they are certainly a professionally-run club.

"Their president Jose Luis Astiazaran, who is also the vice-president of the Spanish league, is a man we have enjoyed dealing with.

"Sociedad are building a new stadium and a delegation plans to visit us here at Ibrox so hopefully we can maintain a close relationship with them on all fronts in the future."

Mikel told his new club's official website: "I enjoyed my time at Rangers but it's a dream to be coming home after so much time away. I've been moving around for seven years and I'm delighted to come to Real.

"I didn't think twice when I knew Sociedad wanted to sign me. I'm from San Sebastian, I've got family here and I've been a fan of the club since I was small.

"I said I would do anything to ensure the deal came off and at last it is a reality."

Arteta enjoyed two differing seasons at Ibrox.

He played a key role in the Treble-winning campaign of 2002/03 - weighing in with five goals in 35 appearances and the Light Blue legions will never forget his last-gasp penalty on the final day as Gers crushed Dunfermline 6-1 to seal their record-breaking 50th league title.

Mikel also featured in the CIS Cup Final victory over Celtic that year but a calf injury ruled him out of the Scottish Cup final triumph over Dundee.

Last season the Spaniard started brightly.

He notched a double on the opening day against Kilmarnock then netting another crucial spot-kick in Copehagen as Rangers secured a 2-1 victory and a place in the group stage of the Champions League.

He went on to hit the back of the net nine times in 33 games, however, his form dropped at the back end of the campaign as he struggled with a number of niggling injuries.

Monaco and Atletico Madrid have been linked with moves for the player in the past, but he jumped at the chance to join his hometown club.

In total Mikel managed 68 appearances and 14 goals during his time in Glasgow.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The have to quote the transfer fee in Euros to make it look like we didn't take such a huge hit on him icon_frown.gif

I hope he does well there and goes on to bigger and better things.

Arteta on move from Gers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> by Francisco Acedo

EXCLUSIVE

Mikel Arteta insists he has not taken a step backwards by joining Real Sociedad from Scottish giants Rangers.

The Spanish midfielder completed a £2.5 million move to the Basque outfit last week following two years in The SPL.

He has signed a four-year contract, with the option of two more years, with Sociedad to clinch a return to his homeland.

Arteta, who had previously interested Atletico Madrid, does not feel he has taken a negative leap in joining Sociedad.

Though he has shunned guaranteed European football every season with Rangers, Arteta is confident he has made the right decision.

"This is not a step back in my professional career," Arteta told skysports.com.

"Real Sociedad are one of the great clubs in Spain and it is a unique opportunity."

The former Paris Saint Germain midfielder also praised the Rangers supporters during his time at Ibrox.

But the 22-year-old is upset he was singled out for criticism by the media during the final days of his Gers career.

He added: "They were two very positive years but perhaps the last one was worse because of my physical problems and the bad results but the general balance sheet is good.

"The best thing of all has been the treatment of the supporters. The Scottish fans are unique in the world.

"I believe that I have had a worthy exit from Rangers and that I will always be able to return to Glasgow with my head held high.

"The (media) behaviour hurt me. I always behaved well with them but as a result of my possible return to Spain, everything changed.

"They harassed me and I decided to stay silent to avoid any more controversy."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

Hope he does well and we get a hefty sell on fee when he moves to real madrid icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of interest, did Rangers have a sell on clause with Gattuso when he left Rangers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Ordered my tickets for the Fulham match today icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ter where did you get the tickets for Fulham from?

Im quite interested in going as i doubt im going to make it up from here to Ibrox much this season icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Hope he does well and we get a hefty sell on fee when he moves to real madrid icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of interest, did Rangers have a sell on clause with Gattuso when he left Rangers? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, we had to go to UEFA to get the money off of Salernitana :/

Archived