The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TM:

that's probably because Lovenkrands is wasted on the left wing, as shown by the game against Feyenoord in the UEFA Cup a few years ago in Holland when he ran the defence ragged with his runs through the middle, did it against Celtic as well - but Eck seems to still think he's a winger, despite him being average at crossing as well icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said icon14.gif

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rangers have moved a step closer to signing Spanish striker Nacho Novo from Dundee, BBC Sport understands.

The two clubs were holding talks about the proposed transfer on Saturday and those were continuing on Sunday.

Dundee had insisted on Saturday that Celtic remained in pole position to sign the 25-year-old after matching their £500,000 offer.

But Rangers now appear prepared to up their £350,000 bid, Novo having made clear his preference for Ibrox.

There had been reports that Novo would even be joining Rangers for pre-season training on Monday.

But a Dundee spokesman said: "The only way he could be training with Rangers on Monday is if he has signed for Rangers, but he is still a Dundee player."

Celtic insist their offer remains on the table

Dundee spokesman

Novo held talks with Celtic after the Scottish champions were given permission to speak to him after matching Dundee's valuation.

But Celtic sources told BBC Sport on Thursday that they had dropped their interest in Novo as they doubted his commitment to such a transfer.

"Nacho until now has not made up his mind yet as to whether he wants to join Celtic," insisted the Dundee spokesman.

"There were reports in the west that Celtic had told the media they had withdrawn their interest, but they've assured our chief executive that the offer remains on the table."

Novo is thought to prefer a move to Rangers and Dundee chief executive Peter Marr had told the 25-year-old to pay his own way if he wants to go there.

"If he wants to go to Ibrox, they or he must come up with the missing money," he said.

Rangers had a £350,000 offer rejected and had insisted that they were not willing to increase that further.

Celtic drop Novo interest

And Marr told the Daily Mail: "If Nacho wants to use some of the well-paid contract that is undoubtedly on offer to make up the difference and buy his way out of Dundee then he can do that.

"We want the price Celtic have already agreed to pay - 25% of it is already due to our creditors - and people forget we paid Raith £100,000 for him two years ago anyway."

Raith Rovers are also due a sell-on clause of 15%.

all summer now the tabloids especially on a sunday have been running with "Novo to sign in 48 hours" type of headlines.

Between this and the Arteta saga it's getting pretty tedious and i wish Dundee and Rangers would either get down to business and make the move happen or not i'm really not fussed now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hagi [romania kick ass]:

Peter Lovenkrands has no idea <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That much I agree with icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kev1916:

askin a player to help a transfer

you mob have no shame <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? he wavered his own cut of the transfer fee! what the hell are you on about ya warmer! ? ! ? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Seems to have signed from what I'm hearing icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good signing for the money...

It's coming together nicely for next season. Now all we need is a creative midfield player, a left-sided midfield player and preferably another striker.

If Arteta leaves this week as seems very likely, hopefully most if not all of that money can go towards these players.

Looking forward to next season... Any of you guys going to the Newcastle game?

there were reports that he was gonna make up the 150k difference on ranger's previous offer.

had that happened it'd be funny. rangers would be paying him higher wages than celtic... and those wages would go to him paying his transfer fee.

rangers do look potentiallyquite a lot better than last season.

Scottish football's worst kept secret confirmed (well in recent times anyway) icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rangers have had an offer in the region of £450,000 accepted by Dundee for striker Nacho Novo.

The player is expected to sign for the Ibrox club imminently, with the agreement of personal terms thought to be a formality.

The news brings to an end weeks of speculation regarding Novo's future.

The Spaniard held talks with Celtic last week but no agreement was reached and it seems certain that he will now join Rangers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

Beginning to feel a bit more hopeful for next season now. We'll have a pretty decent spine to the team with a mix of experienced guys and good youngsters and some pretty decent squad players as well.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Klos

Hutton Boumsong Khizanishvili Ball

A.Rae Mladenovic Stewart G.Rae

Prso Novo</pre>

Not a bad team there and we would have the likes of Andrews, Burke, Hughes, Arveladze, Lovenkrands etc pushing for places as well.

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kev1916:

askin a player to help a transfer

you mob have no shame <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? he wavered his own cut of the transfer fee! what the hell are you on about ya warmer! ? ! ? icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rangers paid 450k and Novo 50k

means Novo who was entitled to money or has the money so he could get his 'dream' move

We go for players like Bastruk,Rivaldo & Hasselbaink you lot are signing spl didies

and btw frankee dont even bother making novo or lovenkrands faster agathe in football manager

im still wondering how craig moore was better than bobocop

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Nice:

so have Dundee received 500 or 450?

at least Raith are gonna get some cash out of it. 1st player in a while they have had any decent return on <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not quite, they're technically unsecured creditors so I doubt if they'll get the full 15%, probably end up with 10% or so...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DodgyG:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Nice:

so have Dundee received 500 or 450?

at least Raith are gonna get some cash out of it. 1st player in a while they have had any decent return on <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not quite, they're technically unsecured creditors so I doubt if they'll get the full 15%, probably end up with 10% or so... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's always a catch icon_biggrin.gif

I'd go for

_______________________Klos_______________________

Hutton________Zurab___________Boumsong________Ball

Burke________Mladenovic_____A Rae_________AN Other

______________Prso__________Arveladze_____________

Subs:

G. Smith

M. Andrews/C. Moore

G. Rae/S. Hughes

P. Lovenkrands/H. Namouchi

N. Novo/S. Thompson/AN Other

</pre>

As I say, with the addition of 2-3 more players depending on who leaves, we're looking much improved for next season.

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Gildea:

The trick of course is turning all these new players into a team. icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true and it is something that will need to be addressed ahead of important CL qualifing games...

The fact that we have several friendlies against decent oppostion should help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Beginning to feel a bit more hopeful for next season now. We'll have a pretty decent spine to the team with a mix of experienced guys and good youngsters and some pretty decent squad players as well.

Klos

Hutton Boumsong Khizanishvili Ball

A.Rae Mladenovic Stewart G.Rae

Prso Novo</pre>

Not a bad team there and we would have the likes of Andrews, Burke, Hughes, Arveladze, Lovenkrands etc pushing for places as well.

icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The pace down those wings are frightening

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Michael Stewart is determined to win a move to Rangers after finding his chances of breaking through at Manchester United restricted.

The Scottish international has joined Rangers on trial and will train with Alex McLeish's squad at their training camp in Austria.

The 23-year-old, who spent a spell on loan at Nottingham Forest last season, is excited at the prospect of winning a move to Ibrox.

"Coming home to Scotland was a massive factor in me taking this chance to win a deal with Rangers as I could have sat it out at Old Trafford for the next two years," Stewart told the Daily Record.

"The opportunity to be among family and friends in my home environment and the chance to play for Rangers flicks every switch and ticks every plus box for me.

"I'm at an age when I know I can improve. When I knew for definite I was going to leave Manchester United, my initial thoughts were, 'How big a fall will I have to take?' Then Rangers showed an interest.

"Rangers are a massive club and no different to Manchester United and I will bust a gut to make something materialise. I'm tired of talking a good game, I want to go out and play it.

"For two or three years, people have anticipated me doing something in football and I've had those thoughts. Rangers have handed me that platform and I intend to utilise it fully."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

im glad to see Novo signing but it's a loss that spazzy hands had to go

we've definitely got the makingings of a good team and maybe with 1 or 2 more additions we could claim the title back, and dare i say it, even do well in europe

• SI Staff

I don't know if it's such a loss that Arteta is leaving. There's no doubt he's a quality player, but he's not adjusted well enough to the Scottish game and goes missing in matches once he's been kicked.

We need our players to stand up and be counted and I reckon Alex Rae will be more useful than Arteta to be honest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SCOTS football legend Andy Goram left a Glasgow hospital today after treatment for a heart condition.

The ex-Scotland and Rangers goalkeeper spent a number of days in coronary care at the Southern General Hospital after suffering an inflamed heart muscle, caused by a virus.

Goram, 40, drove himself to hospital last week, fearing he was having a heart attack after suffering agonising chest pains.

His estranged wife Miriam Wylie went to his hospital bedside.

Today he said: "I would like to thank my doctors, nurses and the other staff. They have all been fantastic."

He wished other patients at the unit a speedy recovery. SCOTS football legend Andy Goram left a Glasgow hospital today after treatment for a heart condition.

The ex-Scotland and Rangers goalkeeper spent a number of days in coronary care at the Southern General Hospital after suffering an inflamed heart muscle, caused by a virus.

Goram, 40, drove himself to hospital last week, fearing he was having a heart attack after suffering agonising chest pains.

His estranged wife Miriam Wylie went to his hospital bedside.

Today he said: "I would like to thank my doctors, nurses and the other staff. They have all been fantastic."

He wished other patients at the unit a speedy recovery. - Evening Times. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> GORAM HIT BY HEART SCARE Jul 5 2004

By John Ferguson

GOALIE Andy Goram is in hospital with a mystery heart problem.

The 40-year-old former Rangers and Scotland star was admitted after having severe chest pains.

High-living Goram is now having tests and is being kept under observation.

His estranged third wife Miriam rushed to his bedside at Glasgow's Southern General Hospital after he called her.

Miriam said yesterday: 'Andy had been getting chest pains all last week but didn't think it was anything serious.

'They started to get really bad on Tuesday and he decided he would have to get to the A&E department.

'I have been really worried but he is a strong guy and I knowhe will pull through.

'We are not together any more but I still care about him and I hope that he would be there for me if I was the one in hospital.'

Goram had been spotted out on the town several times in the days before his admission to hospital.

Hewas out with old team-mate Paul Gascoigne at Gariola's bar in Uddingston,Lanarkshire,andhas also been living it up with friends at the Hilton Hotel in Glasgow city centre.

Though recognised as one of the finest goalkeepers ever to play for Scotland, Goram has become more famous for his behaviour off the field.

He is renowned for the heavy drinking, gambling and womanising that have left him financially crippled and in ill health.

It is said he once blew £30,000 in a 30-day drinking and betting spree.

Miriam, 34, said: 'It was my birthday on Monday so I started the week in a good mood but this has been a real blow.

'I am hoping to see Andy again as soon as possible. Things haven't always been good between us but at times like these you put the bad times to one side.

'You would have to ask Andy if we will see more of each other after this but I will definitely be there for him if he needs my help.'

Andy married his first wife, Jackie Taylor, in 1989 but divorced after just two years.

His second attempt at tying the knot was with croupier Tracey Fitzpatrick but that ended bitterly in 1997.

He married Miriam in July 2001 and the couple should have celebrated their third wedding anniversary on Friday.

But in January, Miriam vowed their marriage was over after Goram was reported to have had an affair with a 15-stone tattooed granny.

A spokesman for the Southern General said: 'I can confirm Andy Goram is a patient at the hospital and at the moment his condition is stable.' - Daily 'we make up the news' Record

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rangers legend Andy Goram was on MOnday recovering in hospital after a heart scare.

The former Scotland. Manchester United and Rangers goalkeeper drove himself to hospital in the early hours of Thursday after suffering chest pains.

Since then Goram, 40, has been undergoing tests at the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow.

It is understood doctors diagnosed him with an inflamed heart muscle, a condition known as myocarditis.

Miriam Wylie, Goram's ex-wife, said he was making good progress.

She said: "At the time he was petrified and did not know what was happening to him.

"But I saw a major improvement in him over the weekend and he is a lot better than when he went in.

"I expect him to be let out in the next few days."

A hospital spokesman described Goram's condition as stable.

During a glittering playing career Goram was capped 43 times for Scotland and inspired Rangers to six league titles, three Scottish Cups and three league cups. - Sportinglife.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,5~537630,00.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just seen footage on SSN...

everyone was there but they didn't mention or show boumsong icon_confused.gif

is he injured? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

in that article it says he's back next Monday due to France's Euro 2004 campaign, strange as that ended a week ago and he didnt take part icon_confused.gif

means Novo who was entitled to money or has the money so he could get his 'dream' move

We go for players like Bastruk,Rivaldo & Hasselbaink you lot are signing spl didies

and btw frankee dont even bother making novo or lovenkrands faster agathe in football manager

im still wondering how craig moore was better than bobocop <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahaha!

Novo didn't pay the rest of the money but waived his fee for Dundee selling him. He'll get that back and more from his bigger salary at Rangers.

You can go for Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Mexes, Beckham, Zidane, Rivaldo, Basturk and the the like all you want. You won't get them!

Are you still moaning about CM03/04? Your previous aliases did the same as well. I remmeber a wee boy greeting about Liam Miller not being the best player in the game.

Away and play in the traffic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmm, so you admit to being the Scottish version of Tottenham Hotspur and that makes you proud. Funny old world.

Oh don't forget to add Novo to that list next time. You 'nearly' signed him as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TM:

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,5~537630,00.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just seen footage on SSN...

everyone was there but they didn't mention or show boumsong icon_confused.gif

is he injured? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

in that article it says he's back next Monday due to France's Euro 2004 campaign, strange as that ended a week ago and he didnt take part icon_confused.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to take into consideration that they haven't had a holiday so far, unless you call going away with your national team to sunny Portugal and playing for about 2 minutes a holiday! The players will have gone from club training to national team training camps and trained throughout the tournament, so they'll be quite knackered and they'll get an extra week or so to recover.

I would hardly call Boumsong and Prso SPL diddies, Prso's shown he can do it at the highest level, and Boumsong being in France's squad speaks for itself.

I honestly don't see why you find this so hard to understand, Novo waivered his cut of the fee in order to move to Rangers, he did not pay Dundee anything.

Archived