The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

ALEX McLEISH has spent most of this summer bringing in players he hopes will prompt a revival in Rangers' fortunes.

But he's also offering one of his more established players another chance to stay at Ibrox.

Fernando Ricksen looked on his way out of the club when McLeish withdrew his offer of a new contract towards the end of last season and put himup for transfer.

Now, though, the manager is relying on the Dutchman to inspire those around him when the season gets underway on August 7.

Ricksen has caught the eye in pre-season training to such an extent that his manager is using him as a role model.

McLeish said: 'Does Fernando have a future here? I can't rule anything out just now.

'He might start playing the best stuff of his career and he may want to stay.

'I have had a few brief chats with him about how well he looks and how well he has started pre-season and his fitness levels.

'He will be very important for us this season as he is nowone of the more experienced players, and with that comes maturity.

'I'm looking for Fernando to set an example to others.'

The month of August will have a large bearing on how Rangers fare for the rest of the season.

The pressure is on McLeish to lead his side into the group stages of the Champions League before the first Old Firm clash of the season at Celtic Park.

That's why he's not keen on selling Ricksen, even if they receive a suitable offer.

The Rangers boss had looked at possible replacements over the close season including Greek international Giorgis Seitaridis, who excelled for the winners of Euro2004 in Portugal.

But McLeish is now prepared to risk losing Ricksen for nothing when his contract expires next summer, rather than see him leave before the close of the transfer window at the end of August.

He added: 'In this job, I really have to look short term and I need to get success as quickly as possible.

'If Fernando was to leave now that would be poor timing.

'If we were to accept an offer for him now then we would be struggling to replace him.

'I could have done it earlier in the summer and brought in some quality but those players are not available to us.

'We were in discussions with Seitaridis a few months ago but now the timing is not right to get someone else in.' Rangers left for their pre--season tour of Austria yesterday with renewed optimism, following the arrival of six new signings.

Jean-Alain Boumsong, Dado Prso, Marvin Andrews, Alex Rae, Nacho Novo, and Dragan Mladenovic will all be in Austria, where they'll plan ahead for the forthcoming campaign.

And McLeish isn't about to stop just yet when it comes to strengthening his squad.

He said: 'I feel this season we are better equipped with the players we have brought in and there is still time to add to the squad.

'It's tough if you don't have a pot of gold like Jose Mourinho at Chelsea but even he has difficulties picking which of the best players in the world to go for.

'I was aware of the circumstance when I came here. If there were pots of gold then the club might have gone for a more high-profile manager.

'I know the parameters I have to work within. I can't just keep adding new faces to the players that are here.

'We can't keep adding to the budget by spending even more. As the honorary chairman said, we're no longer net spenders.

'I'll still be in touch with agents when we're away as I don't think anyone has anywhere near completed their business yet.

'I didn't think we'd get Boumsong but the fact that we did is a major coup.

'I think he'll enhance the first 11 and we're looking forward to seeing the big man playing.'

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame to miss out on Seitaridis, he looks excellent. I think McLeish is resigned to the fact that he will probably now net be able to sell Ricksen then wave bye bye to him for nothing next summer

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Encouraging start from Andrews and Novo yesterday although the opposition was hardly top-class...

Michael Stewart will return to the UK as red-tape has buggered his chance of a loan move to Rangers and of playing in any practice matches...

icon_smile.gif

shame about Michael Stewart but things happen for a reason, hopefully eck will take the plunge and bring in a left sided midfielder now.

Good run out yesterday for what was mostly a reserve side, can't wait to see how the big guns get on against Roma

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Ordered my tickets for the Fulham match today icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ter where did you get the tickets for Fulham from?

Im quite interested in going as i doubt im going to make it up from here to Ibrox much this season icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got them from fulhamfc.com

Sitting in the Stevenage Road Upper block D

Michael Ball did'nt play yesterday so i assume he is long gone.

The polish market is one we should be looking into alongwith the romainian one, as these countries are now EU members no work permits are needed for thier players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

i assume you mean when you say 'ankle injury' you mean 'pub' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't surprise me...

[ON TOPIC]

At FM Rangers, an Excel file is now available for people to submit their own data and research for the new Football Manager 2005 game.

For those of you that don't already know, FM Rangers is still the only Football Manager club page on the web and contains....

- Rangers specific information and news with regard to CM/FM;

- Rangers specific downloads for CM and FM;

- The chance to contribute to the research for FM 2005;

- In-depth player info and stats from the first team to the under 19s.

Sorry for the advert, but the more Rangers fans that I can attract to the project the more accurate the research and the better the final game.

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bobthefurby:

Anyone know where i would get the commentry for the roma game tonight?. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Email me and I can give you a link to the live match if you've got broadband...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

I'll be in contact on Thursday Frankie icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm off work this Thursday to Monday mate, so won't be online until next Tuesday....

icon_razz.gif

I like it.

Can't be the only one who thinks this Stewart boy is worth a punt. After last summer where we seemed to sign people who were after a rest home and a pension top up this summer has been far more encouraging. Novo and Rae have both been keen to sign and play for us. Now we've got Stewart keen to sign as well.

I've seen some bad reports about Stewart, but it seems to me he has figured out that he better stop arsing around or he'll go the same way as plenty of other players who had 'potential'. We're also looking a little light on midfielders. Worth taking a punt on and giving a 6 month or year deal with an option to extend.

I don't see how we can lose by giving him a 6 month contract tbh, it will turn out in any one of three ways,

1) He does well and is given a proper contract at Chrimbo.

2) he does well and someone offers him better than us, and he goes there, but Gavin Rae is back from injury..

3) He's gash and we get rid of him.

Win win situation for us imo..

well i gave up trying to watch the game on that feed! but final score was 4-1 to the gers! Novo with do Prso with a Pen and alex rae blasting one in from 25 yards! i know its only a friendly but i am excited abput next season already! cantwait for the newcastle tourny what a weekend that will be.

Just finished watching the game, listening to Italian for 4 hours( i was listening to the pish before the game) i can safely say i've had enough for a few years icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway a pretty decent performace albeit it was a friendly thought the trialist looked pretty good but then again so did Bob Malcolm icon_eek.gif

Whole team played well and hardly looked troubled and the result well that was just the icing on the cake but we'll see when the important games start.

• Administrators

No, but I've found this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

There was no Francesco Totti, Antonio Cassano, Christian Panucci, Olivier Dacourt or Christian Chivu for the Italians but Vincent Candela, Marco Delvecchio, Vincent Montella and Philippe Mexes were all there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

De Rossi scored their goal too, and he's fffffffffb.

Roma (4-4-2) Pelizzoli; Bovo, Cufre, Mexes, Candela; Aquilani, De Rossi, Tommasi, D'Agostino; Montella, Delvecchio. Subs: Zotti, Lanzaro, Ferronetti, Scurto, Briotto, Virga, Corvia, Clerci, Grillo, De Martino, Simonetta, Seppani, Rosi, Pipolo

Gers Target Young Duo(Not Derek and Darren)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rangers are pondering moves for young duo Derek Carcary and South African Mark Pallister as they continue their building plans for the future.

Queen's Park striker Carcary has spent the last few weeks training at Murray Park, while Pallister has recently joined the club on trial.

Pallister, a cousin of former Manchester United defender Gary Pallister, caught the attention of Rangers' youth development chief George Adams during a youth team match for South Africa.

The 16-year-old midfielder will spend the next few days at Rangers so that the club's coaching staff can cast an eye over him.

Rangers are keen on signing Queen's Park hit-man Carcary and are trying to agree a deal with the Scottish Third Division side.

"Derek hasn't signed anything for Rangers and remains a Queen's Park player," said Queen's Park boss Kenny Brannigan.

"It's great for him and the club that he has been given the opportunity to step up but a compromise has still to be reached."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Pallister is anything like his cousin sign him up :D

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

good to see we are busy briging in teh youth.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, Adams seems to be living up to his reputation....

I would imagine Adams is loving his role at Rangers, never before as he been given a liecence to search the world and bring players in like he will at Ibrox.

Not just the Scottish talent is being scouted but talent everywhere!

Archived