The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

Not sure whats up with Vignal but as far as i know he is still a registered Liverpool player, hence the talk of taking him on loan.

Although he has looked good in the 1 and half games he has played for us I can see Eck turning around and saying "He is not better than anything we have already got"

Like what he said about Michael Stewart(who has to be better than boab malcolm)

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerokus:

can't wait to see the RANGERS IN CRISIS cracked crests in the papers because you lost this match <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

probably not, it's not as bad as getting raped 5-1 by Liverpool icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff

Unlikely... it's not as if we were awful. A couple of mistakes and a cracking strike were the difference.

Nothing to be worried about at this stage icon_cool.gif

Yeah and that one left back doesnt convince me as great, (Vanoli) so a loan deal might be an option, he (vignal) hasnt done anything overly fantastic but he seems competent on the ball considering he is playing with new faces.

Malcolm looks a little lost today he played reasonably well in the middle with Rae yesterday. (Even though there was NAY creativity at all from CM)

Guest sav112

I was happy with yesterday’s game; it was an excellent test against my second favourite team. Unfortunately I got to see it just as we gave away that penalty but enjoyed the rest. The movement and passing looked good and a team with Novo and Prso will always get goals, which is a bit different from last season as at some points we looked lost up front.

In all an excellent pre-season, I’m watching the FEY-RAN on Video but its boring me stiff and I see it went to pens, not surprising I’m on the 37th minute and it looks a bit poor with the B team out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> AXED Rangers skipper Craig Moore will this week open signing talks with Blackburn Rovers.

The clubs have agreed a fee of £500,000 for the defender.

Rovers boss Graeme Souness confirmed to Record Sport he hopes to have the Aussie rebel paired up with former Ibrox team-mates Barry Ferguson and Lorenzo Amoruso in the next few days.

Moore was slapped on the transfer list by boss Alex McLeish last month after opting to play for his country in the Olympics rather than lead his club into the Champions League qualifiers.

The row has done nothing to curb Souness' interest in the 28year-old and the former Rangers boss said: 'I've reached agreement with Rangers over a price for Craig which is in the region of £500,000.

'I expect to talk to the boy himself in the next week. I've been an admirer of Craig for a long, long time and I'm also aware of his desire to have a crack at the Premiership.

'What has happened between him and Rangers has not put me off him or I wouldn't have taken my interest this far.'

Souness' offer will come as a huge boost to McLeish who needs to offload Moore, Michael Ball and possibly Maurice Ross before he can splash out again this summer.

McLeish has signed six players but still hopes to secure a left-back - with trialist Gregory Vignal in pole position - and another centre-half.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Utterly laughable.

It's been a long time since Rangers were accused of being hackers, especially when it's in comparison to Celtic. I think we can probably put this little rant down to bitterness. Although frankly I can't figure out how somebody can get so worked up about a pre-season friendly.

Pity about the result on Saturday but what a great day out.

3 silly goals to give away, so let's hope the defending, tackling and communication is sorted out asap.

Good points:

Prso: Had a really good game. Brings others into the play, leads the line well and can score goals. Should be a great signing.

Boumsong: Coped admirably against Sutt...sorry Shearer. Did well not to get involved in any fighting as well.

Vignal: Sign him on loan now. Looked decent and better than what we currently have.

Novo: Worked well and gets into dangerous positions. Could pass quicker but there's nothing wrong with a greedy player.

Rae: Good industry but really needs a hand in there.

Fans: Different class, apart from the bottle-thrower. Put yer dummy back in yer slavering old mouth Robson. Irony is a when you slag people off for verbal abuse then defend someone for physical assualt. Silly old man.

Concerning

2 wingers doesn't work Eck, especially away from home. You might get away with it at Ibrox against SPL teams, but not against decent oppostion. Change it now!

Bob Malcolm is not the answer. Tries his best, but isn't mobile enough to be effective. Play either Dragan (when fit), Hughes (must do better), or being in Kalenga. We need another central midfielder ideally.

Ricksen isn't the best right back no matter what he thinks. Gets caught out of position and lunges into too many tackles. Play Hutton at RB and consider Ricksen for the midfield role above. If he doesn't want to play there then bin him now.

Sort out the tackling. Lovenkrands, Burke and Ricksen all shat out of tackles again on Saturday. OK, it was a friendly, but we need committment.

Conclusions

All in all a decent weekend. A defeat probably brings the fans back down to earth and doesn't paper over the cracks. Yes, we have our weaknesses, like any team, but with good managment we can overcome them and go on to have a good season.

Bring on the Dons!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Feyenoord coach Ruud Gullit has declared an interest in Rangers defender Fernando Ricksen.

Ricksen's future at Ibrox remains uncertain after he turned down the club's offer of a new deal.

Rangers would be willing to sell the Dutch international rather than risk losing him for nothing next summer when his contract expires.

Gullit is a big fan of Ricksen and admitted he will be keeping tabs on the right back.

"I have looked at Fernando and we have checked him out," said Gullit.

"Maybe his wages would be too expensive for us but we know he is a good player.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As much as i like Nando, if we get offered a decent fee for him i'd bite Feyenoord's hand off.

I like the lad but we have to look at it in a business situation and any money is better than nothing, plus Hutton is more than capable and Zurab can play right back as well. If we could get him and Moore out we should have enough to bring someone new in, hopefully Ball on his way as well

Guest Caddick Carhandle

From the Newcastle Sunday Sun. Glad to see they backed down and issued an apology yesterday. UVF links? Rangers? Do me a favour. icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Soccer bash link to terror Jul 25 2004

By Sunday Sun

A North venue is to host a boozy bash for football fans, with entertainment laid on by a radio station with links to a murderous Protestant paramilitary group, the Sunday Sun can exclusively reveal.

The sell-out event, for more than 700 Glasgow Rangers supporters, will feature DJs from Loyalist FM, a Northern Irish station which openly promotes the sinister Ulster Volunteer Force.

Since the troubles in Northern Ireland began in the 1960s the organisation has been responsible for the murder of scores of Catholics.

Though its leaders agreed a ceasefire as part of the Northern Ireland peace process, some of its members continue to be involved in racketeering, extortion and drug dealing.

The party is being held at Gateshead's Federation Brewery next Saturday after Newcastle United take on Rangers as part of a pre-season friendly tournament at St James's Park.

Loyalist FM has been running for a year and a half and its logo bears the same red hand symbol used by the UVF, as well as its motto, "For God and Ulster".

The UVF is one of 14 outlawed Irish organisations, meaning it is illegal for them to operate in the UK.

A spokesman for the radio station said: "Rangers have got a massive fan base all over and we knew there would be loads of people going to the match.

"This will be just a night out with plenty of bevvies for the fans and all the favourite Rangers songs will be playing.

"There will be DJs and flute bands. It's just a knees-up."

Former Gateshead Council leader George Gill is unconvinced, however.

He said: "It's a wonder this has been allowed to happen. Anyone or anything seen to be promoting any terrorist group is going to do us no favours at all.

"It certainly sounds less than sensible that this thing is being allowed to go ahead."

A spokesman for the Federation Brewery's new owner, Scottish and Newcastle, said: "I can confirm we took a booking for a private function several months ago, which we knew was related to football.

"We are not aware of what entertainment is being provided or whether that is an issue.

"We will be looking into it on Monday."

About 750 fans are expected to attend the ?10-a-ticket bash, and up to 17,000 Rangers supporters are set to descend on Tyneside for the Newcastle-Gateshead Cup tournament.

The other teams taking part in the pre-season warm-up are Feyenoord from Holland and Portugal's Sporting Lisbon.

Both English and Scottish police say they are expecting a good-natured event, but some unofficial fans' websites are forecasting problems.

Rangers fans are famously fanatical and have a track record of causing trouble in the region.

Back in the 1960s they ran riot in Berwick after their team was knocked out of the Scottish Cup by the Northumbrian minnows.

Then in July 1993 trouble flared when the Scottish side played Sunderland in a pre- season testimonial for Wearside defender Gary Bennett.

Three people were stabbed and 42 arrested, three quarters of them Scottish.

But the most notorious episode occurred in 1969 when Rangers played Newcastle in the semi-final of the European Fairs Cup, a trophy the Magpies went on to win.

Rangers' fans invaded the pitch and rained down a hail of bottles and cans, leaving 159 people injured, after their team was knocked out of the cup.

When we contacted Northumbria Police last night they were initially reluctant to comment but later said they anticipated no trouble and would police the party as they would any other event of its nature.

Setting record straight on DJs' links to terror Aug 1 2004

By Peter Montellier, Sunday Sun Editor, Sunday Sun

Our front-page report last week headlined "Soccer bash link to terror" produced an angry response from a group of readers who questioned the Sunday Sun's reporting and motives.

The story concerned a party due to be hosted at Gateshead's Federation Brewery last night for Glasgow Rangers' fans following their side's match in Newcastle yesterday.

Some of the points raised in their letters to this newspaper are carried here today.

They point to three errors on our part . . .

Firstly they say they reject the link between Loyalist FM and Northern Irish terrorists described by the Sunday Sun.

Our report failed to point out that the website for Loyalist FM, lined up to provide entertainment at last night's do, stated: "Thanks goes out to the following: All our members, 1st East Antrim UVF . . ."

While this statement was prominent on the Loyalist FM website on July 24, it could not be found after our report last week.

Why these words disappeared is not known. However, some facts cannot be altered . . .

The 1st East Antrim Ulster Volunteer Force battalion is part of an illegal terrorist organisation.

Although the UVF has been on ceasefire since the early 1990s, pictures of armed, uniformed and masked men described as belonging to the 1st East Antrim UVF could be seen this weekend on another website updated on July 19 . Members of the 1st East Antrim UVF played a bloody role in Northern Ireland's Troubles and many of its members have been jailed for terrorist and other crimes.

The website, which glories in the 1st East Antrim UVF's bloody past, is described as being operated by Monkstown Young Citizens Volunteers Flute Band. Monkstown is located in the east of County Antrim.

The Young Citizen Volunteers - YCV - is a name with historic connotations that has been used as a cover by terrorists wishing to conceal their precise allegiance.

The Monkstown YCV website highlights several links to the UVF and prints songs including one called Suicide Battalion . . .

"Proudly they guard this land from shore to shore, Bravely they stand for Ulster evermore . . . They fought and they won the battle of the Somme, But for Blair and Dublin the fight will still go on, For God and for Ulster is cast on every breath, Of the suicide battalion of the UVF."

Readers may decide for themselves whether those words threaten violence.

The Sunday Sun also regrets that it did not point out that the Loyalist FM website, while thanking a UVF unit with a grisly and murderous reputation, stated on its opening page: "This site does not support any paramilitary organisations, nor do we take an interest in them."

Several complaints focused on a second issue, concerning the Red Hand symbol and the motto "For God And Ulster".

They note correctly that they were used by the British 36th (Ulster) Division whose soldiers gave distinguished service in the First World War. Their sacrifice and bravery at the Somme and elsewhere are well documented and deserve the highest respect.

The Ulster Division was formed out of the volunteers who in 1913, under the banner of the Ulster Volunteer Force, armed themselves against British Government moves to grant Home Rule to Ireland.

The outlawed terrorist organisation of the same name that has operated in Northern Ireland since 1966 claims to be the direct descendant of that previous UVF.

Similarly, today's Provisional IRA claims to be the legitimate inheritor of the mantle of the old IRA that rebelled against British rule in Ireland in 1916.

The same claim is made by the Continuity IRA and the Real IRA. But the fact that terrorists seek the legitimacy of heroics in the past does not change their murderous activity in the present.

Today, the Red Hand symbol and the motto "For God And Ulster" are used by the UVF, an organisation outlawed because its members have killed, maimed and intimidated while dealing in drugs and carrying out other forms of gangsterism.

The Sunday Sun apologises for not realising that legal and legitimate groups might seek to use the same symbol and motto in a way similar to that used by the outlawed UVF while intending to maintain their distance from the terrorists.

The third main complaint was that in last week's report, Loyalist FM was described as a Northern Irish station.

That was the information given to us by a respected reporter working in Belfast, but Loyalist FM's website states only that it is transmitted through a "server from New York city". Therefore, we should have said that the web broadcaster "is reported to be a Northern Ireland station". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest sav112

Well if Moore is not in Alex’s plans, then that’s 0.5 mil in the bank and wages to bring in a replacement. As for Ricksen at this stage Rangers can’t see players leave on frees, so if someone comes in then sell him if the price is right.

Ricksen always looks to close to that red card in most games for my liking anyway. I can almost see him run after someone now into that Rangers box, eye’s ablaze.

I expect Moore to have no prob’s with Blackburn and Alex to be back in the market before the season starts.

Guest sav112

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerokus:

if you get rid of ricksen and moore who will we have to laugh at for being pish? icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's ok we still have BoB. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Scotland Today can reveal than Alex McLeish will make his seventh close season signing with the acquisition of French defender, Gregory Vignal. In an exclusive interview with this programme, Vignal says he expects to complete his season long loan deal tomorrow which could become more permanent if he further impresses Alex McLeish.

He has experienced highs and lows in Le Championnat, the Premiership, La Liga, and very soon Gregory Vignal will add the SPL to his list. Alex McLeish gave the left sided defender an opportunity to impress against Spurs last week, then in Newcastle at the weekend, and it seems the Frenchman has done just that.

Gregory Vignal said: "I spoke with him this morning, and he was happy with me, so now he want to keep me. It's a big club, I will have my chance to play. My agent's coming tomorrow morning, and he will have a chat about my contract, so we'll see tomorrow morning. Exciting, because I think Rangers is a big club like Liverpool, so with big fans, big ground, I think it's a good team this year, so I'm very happy to be here."

Asked if already playing in a British league would help him, he said: "You know I think it's similar football, fighting, the people like to go to the ball, to go forward, so it's similar football in Scottish. So I know English football, but I didn't know Scottish football, so I will see."

Rangers are expected to seal the season long loan deal tomorrow - two days ahead of the transfer deadline for the Champions League.

Vignal said: "For a club like Rangers, you must play Champions League, because the big play Champions League. For me the qualification for the Champions League is very important for this year. Everybody waiting, I think, for Champions League, so we must to win the game."

Meanwhile axed Rangers skipper Craig Moore is discussing personal terms with Blackburn Rovers -the Ibrox club have accepted a bid of £500,000 for the player

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feck me a trialist actually gets a deal, whatever next icon_biggrin.gif

I think this is a good move as i've been well impressed with Vignol well compared to watching Vanoli saunter down the wing that wouldn't be hard.

I did like the look of Vignal in the last 2-3 games...

Seems skilful enough, gets forward and can actually defend with pace as well.

If he does sign on loan, with Liverpool paying his wages, we can't really lose.

OMG we were supposedly in for Darren Anderton - no joke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

The Light Blues have released the following statement on former England international Darren Anderton.

"Rangers Football Club can confirm that Darren Anderton and his representatives had preliminary discussions with Martin Bain.

"However, at present both parties have decided not to take the discussions any further."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no doubt it fell apart when the Moore deal died.

Archived