The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

• SI Staff

Champions League draw is tomorrow, here are the seedings...

Seeded Teams

------------

Real Madrid

Manchester United

Deportivo

Liverpool

Juventus

Inter

PSV

Leverkusen

APOEL or Sparta Prague

Monaco

Anderlecht

Club Brugge or Lokomotiv

Rangers

Rosenborg or FC Sheriff

PAOK

Dinamo Kiev

Unseeded Teams

--------------

WIT Georgia or Wisla Krakow

Benfica

Basel

Young Boys or Croatia Zagreb

Grazer AK

Maccabi Haifa

FC Pyunik or Shakhtar Donetsk

NK Gorica or FC Copenhagen

HJK Helsinki or Maccabi Tel-Aviv

KF Tirana or Ferencvaros

MSK Zilina or Dinamo Bucharest

Hajduk Split or Shelbourne

Skonto or Trabzonspor

Banik Ostrava

Neftchi or CSKA Moscow

Djurgardens or Kaunas

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sav112

I read the papers this morning, and by what they report this Vignal is not a bad player at all and in that troublesome left back not filled since big Arthur left. I hope they offer him a contract if he plays well down in Newcastle. Sorry Vanoli makes me uneasy at times It’s like he gets 3-4 really clumsy tackles a game that could cost us in penalties and his passing has not impressed me.

I think if Moore and Ball get sold we could see a replacement CD and LB, and we still could do with a right/left winger of quality.

I see Man u put out there B team last night, that’s a same for all the fan’s that wanted the real Man-U…

Guest sav112

I just have that felling its FC Copenhagen that were going to get, I don’t know. But then again I’m sure we will get through.

icon_biggrin.gif

what i saw of vignal at liverpool he always looked no bad.

don't sign him plz, celtic could do with a left back too, though jackie is good.

a few teams you'd want to avoid in the draw... benfica, basel, cska moscow (effectively owned by abramovich and have a ton of good players) would all be tricky.

something i didn't know is that if you qualify you get a 40% share of the tv money allocated to scottish clubs for the cl. if not celtic get all of it.

so er, crash out please.

To be honest i would mind gettin basel now as they have lost all of there good players since the year they put out celtic and liver pool and it would mean no long trip to bloody eastern europe which is generally what happens, the ideal draw must be Djurgardens though, a nice wee trip to sweden and an weak team. I would be very happy:

Basel

Grazer AK

FC Copenhagen

HJK Helsinki

Banik Ostrava

Djurgardens

and as long as we dont get:

Benfica

Croatia Zagreb

Shakhtar Donetsk

Trabzonspor

CSKA Moscow

to be honest i think we are capable of beating any team in this draw apart from Benfica and even then i dont know how far behind porto they really are, so we should be ok.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fozza:

to be honest i think we are capable of beating any team in this draw apart from Benfica and even then i dont know how far behind porto they really are, so we should be ok. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they beat porto in the portuguese cup final. i don't know anything else about them really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fozza:

Basel

Grazer AK

FC Copenhagen

HJK Helsinki

Banik Ostrava

Djurgardens

and as long as we dont get:

Benfica

Croatia Zagreb

Shakhtar Donetsk

Trabzonspor

CSKA Moscow

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd agree with the majority of your list, although the Russians (CSKA) struggle away from home and I think we could give them a doing here to see us through.

Helskini will struggle to go through after drawing 0-0 with Macafi Habia (Irseal) - at home and I wouldn't fancy going out there to play them and Djurgardens also drew 0-0 at home last night and might not make it.

The other 4 are tough, especially Shaktar and they would cause the most probs IMO. Hopefully Shelbourne will go through and we'll get them

rangers beat paris st german in our local tournament last night. only 1-0 but rangers were much better. i didnt see the 1st half but it was supposed to be pretty poor.

2nd half got exciting after about 20mins and brighton scored for you. he missed a reasonable sitter tho.

Brighton is the lad who should be going on loan to Scunthorpe United next year, he was a good prospect 2 years ago and made a breakthrough to the first team but a bad injury hampered his progress.

Good to see the youths doing well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ibroxclubworshipper:

Anybody aware if there is any tickets left for Newcastle this weekend? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think you can still get tickets for sunday

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ibroxclubworshipper:

Anybody aware if there is any tickets left for Newcastle this weekend? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None for the Rangers end but you can still get them for the Toon end I think.

Neftchi / CSKA Moskva v Rangers

This is a decent draw for us. As I said earlier, CSKA are not great travellers and drew away to Neftchi, although they should blow them away at home. I am confident especially with the first leg away. We;ve avoided Shaktar and Benfica which was important. If we can beat Copenhagen with a load of donkeys last season, there's no reason we can't get through this year

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Goalkeepers

35 Igor Akinfeev, 77 Vladimir Gabulov, 1 Veniamin Mandrykin, 51 Sergey Zhideev, 40 Denis Trunkin

Defenders

24 Vassily Vladimirovich Berezutsky, 6 Alexey Vladimirovich Berezutsky, 28 Bogdan Shershun, 15 Odia Chidi, 2 Deividas Shemberas, 44 Eugene Klimov, 55 Oleg Malukov, 4 Sergey Ignashevich, 57 Sergey Gorelov

Midfielders

10 Osmar Ferreyra, 5 Sergey Semak, 25 Elver Rakhimic, 29 Artur Tlisov, 19 Uriy Layzans, 49 Sergey Grichenkov, 52 Pavel Stepanez, 36 Alexey Nikolaev, 20 Irgi Yaroshik, 8 Rolan Gusev, 46 Renat Yanbaev, 22 Evgeniy Aldonin, 17 Rouslan Nakhushev, 37 Kirill Kochubey, 18 Uriy Zhirkov

Forwards

39 Ivan Taranov, 7 DANIEL da Silva CARVALHO, 14 Dmitriy Kirichenko, 9 Ivica Olic, 11 Spartak Gogniev, 38 Sergey Pravosud, 26 Alexander Geynrih, 21 Denis Popov, 13 Sergey Samodin

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CSKA Squad

It will be a tough game but I'm confident we'll go through.

Russian teams don't travle well and if we can get a decent result in the away leg, I think we will win in the 2nd by a couple of goals.

It could have been worse.

• SI Staff

Aren't CSKA the team that Abramovic has pumped a lot of money into and they have signed a lot of top quality players like Cavenaghi from River?

It's going to be a hard game anyway, I'm sure this lot are no mugs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Aren't CSKA the team that Abramovic has pumped a lot of money into and they have signed a lot of top quality players like Cavenaghi from River?

It's going to be a hard game anyway, I'm sure this lot are no mugs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that's Spartak...

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is looking to invest heavily in Russian side CSKA Moscow, according to local reports, and wants to build them up into another European superclub.

Abramovich has reportedly agreed a massive £30 million sponsorship deal with CSKA on behalf of his oil company Sibneft.

The three-year deal will stock the coffers of the Russian outfit but it is also thought that Abramovich will make further funds available to bolster the squad.

Russian magazine Pro Sport believe that Chelsea's billionaire owner is trying to mould CSKA into a massive club in Europe.

"There are only two clubs in the world now that can afford to spend big, Chelsea and CSKA," said Pro Sport editor Igor Poroshin.

Abramovich would be barred from formally owning two clubs that could clash in European competition, but many people believe that he will be in control behind the scenes.

CSKA have already denied that Abramovich has ploughed any funds into the club, but rumours will be rife should the Russian side start to bid for any top-class players around Europe.

Guest sav112

I think that’s an ok draw.

Anyway Abramovich should buy a holiday home/castle up in Scotland and buy shares in Rangers. Come on Abram you know you want too. He could wipe out the debt and give alex 20M to spend….

But then again he wants to build a super club, Ger’s are there already

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sav112:

I think that’s an ok draw.

Anyway Abramovich should buy a holiday home/castle up in Scotland and buy shares in Rangers. Come on Abram you know you want too. He could wipe out the debt and give alex 20M to spend….

But then again he wants to build a super club, Ger’s are there already

icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

let's say you lose to cska... financially that's you screwed... so murray decides to sell up... then some abramovich mk 2 buys you.

i can see that happening and it would suck so much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerokus:

let's say you lose to cska... financially that's you screwed... so murray decides to sell up... then some abramovich mk 2 buys you.

i can see that happening and it would suck so much. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever happens Murray won't sell Rangers. Murrays companies rely on Rangers not going bust and Rangers rely on Murray not going bust. They are so inter-related it would be very difficult to untangle them and sell either seperately. It's sort of the way GEC (now called Marconi) used to stop itself being taken over before Weinstock retired and let Simpson almost bankrupt them.

Plus I wouldn't want Roman Abramovich anywhere my football club. Murray has some fairly questionable business practices, but he has nothing on Abramovich. Whilst Chelsea fans might disagree, the money that Abramovich has made, has been pretty much stolen from ordinary Russians, thanks to a corrupt business and political system. I'm sure ordinary Russians are delighted that there money is being used to fill the coffers of already rich footballers and agents.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rangers boss Alex McLeish has admitted that Michael Ball is almost certain to leave Ibrox.

The former Everton star is out of McLeish's long-term plans and he will allow him to leave if the right offer comes in.

"We know that possibly Michael Ball will leave the club and possibly one or two others," said McLeish.

"There has been nothing official yet.

"There has been speculation and rumours in the background but until there has been anything official we can't really move on anything else."

McLeish is already looking at a possible replacement for Ball with Liverpool defender Gregory Vignal joining the club on trial.

Liverpool are willing to loan out the young Frenchman and he could get the chance to impress at this weekend's NewcastleGateshead Cup where Rangers play the hosts.

"I am short in that left-back area. He can come on loan and if it is financially viable and if Gregory shows up well over the weekend, provided we get clearance, then something can be done," added McLeish.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest sav112

Yeah it was on the news last night up here; Ball is in the same boat as Moore, the one leaving down the Clyde post Govan. icon_biggrin.gif

To be fair both are good players and will do well at other clubs.

Anyway I’m trying to get back for the Ger's/Newcastle game I hope it’s a good game because that Amsterdam arena cup with the gunners I had on for a time last night was very poor.

2-0 Bellamy (29th min) Roberts cross is heading for Shearer, Boumsong gets in flicks it on, Britton crosses it back in not cleaered and Bellamy smashes it high into the net.

Newcastle starting todictate the pace of the game now.

I pray to Marvin Andrews God that Bob Malcolm is nowhere near the first team let alone midfield holding role this season.

I think we look pretty strong in all areas but strenght in depth is an issue. Vignal looks worth a loan deal.

• SI Staff

We were much better in the second half when Andrews and Malcolm went off.

What is up with the Dragan? I was hoping we'd get to see some of him this weekend... cos Boab is PISH!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henchoz_6:

I pray to Marvin Andrews God that Bob Malcolm is nowhere near the first team let alone midfield holding role this season.

I think we look pretty strong in all areas but strenght in depth is an issue. Vignal looks worth a loan deal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vignal has been released hasn't he....thats why he could play as a trialist

Archived