Could use some help setting up my AML and AMR (Playing as Inside Forwards)

Im not totally satisfied my the way my AML and AMR are playing.

What experiences do you got for these positions?

Right now, theyre Inside Forwards - ofc with right footed on left, and left footed on right. Semi high creative freedoms, cut inside runs, through balls often, crossing rare, run with ball often.

Got any suggestions?

One thing, I personally don't like cross rare, my wingers/inside forwards would often do nothing when they had broken through on the flanks.

Other than that I'd say much depends on their quality, if they have very good mental stats and no distinct weaknesses (decision etc.) maybe try setting most things to "sometimes" (maybe long shots to "rare"), I kind of like that approach.

Put them on swap positions with each other. Sometimes during a match it's more benificial to have a right-footed player on the right, and vice versa. If your usual leftie can't seem to get going in his usual position - swap him to the other flank, and presto ... sometimes.

Agree with most things that have been said. Crossing should be sometimes and I always use the switch positions, have got quite a few goals from AML being on opposite side and making a mug of the full back. How about wide play - move into channels?

Agree with most things that have been said. Crossing should be sometimes and I always use the switch positions, have got quite a few goals from AML being on opposite side and making a mug of the full back. How about wide play - move into channels?

I use that as a way to surprise the opposition' during the match.

My main issues with IFs are as follows:

- Decide if you want a "runs onto ball from deep" type, or a "gets on the ball and does stuff", I usually want the latter, so I use IF Support much more than Attack.

- Make sure no-one is occupying the space they'll be cutting inside into, Advanced CMs, Deep Forwards or AMs are going to make their job more difficult.

- Decision making. Think Nani of 3 years ago compared to today. IF needs to know when to cut in and when to go outside and cross, if they don't, or they have no teamwork, you're going to get a lot of wasted ball.

I guess it depends on what you expect your inside forwards to do. For me I want them to score goals, basically be strikers number 2 and 3 starting from wide positions.

So I play a 4-1-2-2-1, where I like to play both inside forwards with attack duties and the striker as a complete forward support. Gives the inside forwards room to operate while the striker still gets involved both as a creative player and a finisher in that role. Doesn't end up with any one of them scoring a ton of goals, but each player will average about a goal every two games in a good year. I tend to use retrained quick strikers in the AML/R positions though, natural players there don't tend to have the right attributes to be real effective when you're relying on them to basically play as a wide striker.

Then I like to have one midfielder as a CM attack and the other as a DLP defend and set to the play maker. I find playing the DLP on defend tends to leave plenty of space for the front 3 to work, while the other mid's instructions allow him to sneak up late in a move and bag the odd goal. Also the full backs are played in a wing back role - support or attack depending on how attacking I want to be - which gets them up the pitch so that when the inside forward cuts inside but can't find a path to goal they have someone to kick it back to. Also given the players I'm playing, wingbacks help as they're more likely to be able to kick a decent cross than my IFs.

One thing that I think is over-rated is playing players on their opposite foot. If you have the luxury of having good players who are trained to play on their opposite foot great, but if you have to play a right footer at AMR don't sweat it, if he has the right attributes for the position he'll kick goals anyway.

Anyway that's my 2c on what works for me, I used the same tactic starting in BSS and didn't touch it all the way through to premier league, so I know it doesn't depend on having world beaters, just good players for their level.

I agree on the whole opposite foot being over-rated. My topscorer is the AML playing as Inside Forward and he is left footed but with the "Shoot with Power" PPM and he scores loads of goals by cutting in between the FB and DC and blastering the ball past the GK.

if you can get an AML/AMR with an "either" for preferred food and swap them so they are not against the same fullback all game, you should have them playing better as their strengths will work against one of the fullbacks weaknesses, unless you're playing a top class team with top fullbacks on each side, which is really rare

also like others have said, find out what your wingers are trying to do, if they have a ton of pace, flair, dribbling and low work rate and teamwork they're going to need the ball given to them, almost handed to them as they have little interest in getting it back

you can also try setting their passing to short or shorter than it's set, they will make more passes and get teammates involved more by not knocking the ball around so much

Archived