I can't think of a title pun, but I'm playing with Hall Road Rangers FC

CityAndColour

As above, using a L10 update which can be found here. I think the cup competitions are not fully up to date (FA Vase etc) but I'm only worried about the league until I hit the Blue Square divisions, so not too fussed.

Hall%20Road%20Rangers%20FC.gif

Some history, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Hall Road Rangers Football Club is an English football club formed in 1959. They play their games at Dene Park in the village of Dunswell in the East Riding of Yorkshire, four miles north of Hull. They play in the Northern Counties East Football League

The club was formed in 1959 by a local man named Ted Richardson, Hall Road Rangers was originally set-up as a youth club for young teenagers and played Sunday league football. The club became a senior team and stepped up into the Yorkshire Football League Division Two in 1968. In 1970, they were placed in the newly formed Division 3. Hall Road won the Division 3 title in 1973. They were relegated back to Division 3 in 1976. Division 3 champions again in 1980.

Set-up, Rules and aims:

English leagues loaded down to Level 10 and the A League loaded, as playable. Large database with players loaded from all teams in my division, and all teams in the divisions above up until the BSN/S. Favoured team set to Melbourne Heart.

I'm basically just playing it like dafuge's challenge, in which players can only be signed if I can scout them or trial them. I can only sign a player if I've obtained a scout report on him or have him on trial, and for the most part I will rely on scout reports or news items.

As for aims, I've never managed this low before so I'm not setting myself any outlandish goals. However I will play at Hall Road until I get sacked, so no changing clubs. International management is allowed if it comes up down the track, but only if approached.

The club starts with a clean slate with no rivals or favoured personnel, so whoever ends up in those spots will be under my tenure, which is kind of cool. I've gone for a mid-table finish in my first season.

Will update each season, plus any relevant or interest screen shots in between, so hope to have a few people follow my progress. I'm not going to give recaps of all the leagues but happy to provide any information about other clubs/leagues upon request.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And just a few other bits and pieces before I embark on my first season.

Chairman status: Loves the club

Media prediction: 8th

Club status: Semi-professional

Finances: £80 in the black

Estimated value: £35K

Stadium: Dene Park, 2500 capacity (250 seated)

Corporate facilities: Basic

Training facilities: Basic

Youth facilities: Minimal

Junior Coaching: Minimal

Youth recruitment: Limited

Thanks Deisler

---

Season preview 2011-12

Most of the pre-season was spent wheeling and dealing. I inherited a squad of eight players, with two of them taking up a combined £195 of a £275 weekly wage budget, neither of them deservingly so. They both left on frees, plenty arrived on trial and frees and plenty signed part-time deals for a minimal wage. Here are my transfers - I managed to get the wage budget increased to £295, and put together more or less a full squad for £370 which I think is manageable.

I like to play attacking football and with that in mind, went with the golden rule of lower league football, which is that pace trumps pretty much everything else. Here are the pick of my signings:

Dil Chagger - Former Burnley youth man, will man the right as an attacking winger.

Errol Telemaque - Has had a decent career in non-league football, and his pace should give plenty of sides problems.

Steven Lozano-Calderon - Not as technically proficient as Chagger, but his pace should cause some havoc down the left.

Tom Cox - Looks capable for this level in goal. Hopefully can stay injury free as his back-up is only 16.

Pre-season

Pre-season matches went well, although not really powerhouse opposition:

pre1112.jpg

Captain for the season is influential midfielder Martin Thacker, deputised by veteran striker Jamie Barnwell.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...*ahem*

---

feuding.jpg

Tee hee.

Anyway am finding the processing quite slow compared to other games. Not sure why as the only only other country I have loaded is Australia, but I think I'm going to delete the league two down from me as I move up the English tiers, until I'm left with just down to the BSN/S (when I'd be in the BSP, if that makes sense).

January 2012 Update

jan12.jpg

After a draw and a loss to open the season, we haven't looked back. The team has, surprisingly, responded well to playing with a high defensive line and a fluid philosophy, and we've torn quite a few teams to shreds with pace and crossing. It's fairly tight at the top however, and with only one team promoted it should be an exciting finish.

Armthorpe were the surprise pace-setters, going undefeated through 17 games and holding a ten point lead at the top at one point; however they have lost four in a row now to slip off the pace. I beat them 1-0 away on New Year's eve to avenge a home loss early in the season.

A few observations from the league so far:

• Half of the teams in the league have filled their squads entirely with youth players, which is disappointing as it has resulted in some very one-sided matches. Hopefully this isn't a recurring theme in seasons to come in these lower leagues.

• I figured at this level there would be a lot of scrappy games won by the odd goal, but it's been pretty much the opposite, with seemingly almost every shot on target going in.

• Predictably, speed down the wings is a killer, with most crosses being turned in.

Player Watch

It only took Telemaque two and a half games to tear a calf muscle, however former Leyton Orient youth striker Raph Sylvester came in, and after a slow start, has plundered 13 in 15, including five against Lincoln Moorlands Railway. So now we have the club's first ever favoured personnel:

favouredper.jpg

I am sure he is delighting the club's 15 loyal season ticket holders with his displays.

Youth Intake 2012

It probably speaks volumes that Mick Hartas is one of the most gifted players to come through Hall Road in years - his attributes page looks like it's bleeding there's so much red on it. The only player who looked semi-useful is Darren Stephenson, however my useless assistant recommended signing all but two, which I duly did so I at least have a youth squad now.

From this:

unbeaten.jpg

To this:

beaten.jpg

Genuinely befuddled. No real explanation for it, but we went from dominating teams and winning to dominating teams and losing, even against teams fielding entire sides of 15 and 16-year-olds. Oh, and we conceded from the opposition's first shot in all but one of the games in the second picture, which was nice. The penultimate game of the campaign at home to rock-bottom Brighouse Town provided a nice little summary of our wretched run...

fffffu.jpg

So it's fairly safe to say we chucked away the title, but we still overachieved....full season update to come in a bit.

Yeah, I don't help matters though as I can get quite frustrated and end up giving a lot of angry team talks, which doesn't exactly help morale. Will post a full season review when I get home from work in a few hours, including a very promising signing for the new season...

Good luck with this!

You're in the same league as Bridlington, my home town. :D

Yeah they are one of the strong teams in the division, and finished 2nd in the season just gone, being pipped at the post by Pickering for promotion. They also beat me twice, however I got revenge with a win against them in the season current.

Okay, we're back online, so...

Hall Road Rangers FC - 2011/12 - Northern Counties East Premier

----------

Final Standings

final201112.jpg

A frustrating season really. We took a few games to gel but from the second month to the second last month of the season we were close to the best team in the league, scoring for fun and keeping it tight defensively. Unfortunately the horror run at the end snuffed out any chance at the title but it was still a pretty solid season in which we were predicted to finish 9th. We also lost all four games against the top two sides so I can't have too many complaints.

Cups

Only the FA Cup, and we were turfed 1-2 at Retford in the first qualifying around.

Players of note

Raph Sylvester - Signed initially as a replacement for the injured Telemaque, he quickly established himself as the most damaging member of the squad, finishing third in the league scoring charts.

Ash Hodgkinson - Solid at the back and so dangerous at set pieces that I actually had to change my corner set-up just to prevent him having a 25-goal season.

Adam Brown - Only 16, he led the league in assists, as "goal Hodgkinson, assist Brown" became the new "caught Marsh, bowled Lillee".

Steven Lozano-Calderon and Dil Chagger - Lethal down the left and right respectively, putting the ball on a platter for Sylvester and each other time and again.

Next season...

Will be absolutely gunning for promotion, and will be disappointed if I don't get it. Especially after my scouts found me an absolute pearl in John Kumar, an English-Indian youth plying his trade at Team Solent.

----------

2011/12 - Northern Counties East Premier - 3rd

Thanks powell's, he is quick but doesn't have much else, but that is perfectly adequate at this level. And good to see your mob end Huddersfield's farcical "unbeaten" run too.

---

January 2013 Update

jan201213.jpg

Good to see the heartbreak of last season has stung the players into action, and we are irresistible at the moment, with Kumar pulling the strings. We started the season by winning the first six games by a combined scoreline of 17-2, and after navigating a slight blip soon after, have continued on our merry way.

Season ticket sales have increased by nearly 50% too...

seasontickets.jpg

The fans are loving the attacking football on show too, with my average attendance skyrocketing to 110 per home fixture. Still a fair way short of Appleton Frodingham's 1035 each match, which is even more than eight BSP clubs.

I find the funniest thing about Huddersfield's unbeaten run of almost a whole season is the fact Brighton & Southampton went up reasonably comfortably above them & this season they're only 3rd in League 1 8 points off top spot. If I went that many games unbeaten on FM but still found myself in the same division or not top by a country mile i'd be fuming.

Mini Update

Sitting at work (on a Saturday!) without the game, so thought I'd write up a little update as the season reaches a very tense climax.

We seem to have arrested the little slide we had in Feb/March, stringing together a couple of wins with some good performances. It's very concerning however that, for two seasons in a row, we've thrown away a handy lead at the top of the table with a baffling dip in form. Maybe I'll need to review my team talks as I don't think it's a tactical issue, it might just be a case of relieving the pressure once we do hit top spot.

Anyway, with four games to go, we sit a point ahead of Appleton, and play them at their ground in the next fixture in what will likely be the title decider, given we're both 10 points ahead of 3rd. They also have a regen striker who looks good enough for most BSP sides, so if I can grab a point I have two home games out of the remaining three. Squeaky bum time.

---

But first it's our work Christmas party, and one of the good things about working for a global company is they have cash to spend on free bar tabs and good venues!

---

Kumar Watch

13 goals and 25 assists in 33 league games thus far, which is an outstanding effort. He has just signed semi-pro terms after turning 17 so I have him tied down for another season, but how much longer than that remains to be seen as he looks a decent prospect for league clubs.

Thanks deadfncat, would've been hard to front up for the new season if I'd blown it again...

---

Hall Road Rangers FC - 2012/13 - Northern Counties East Premier

----------

Final Standings

final201213.jpg

In many ways, it was a repeat of last season, except this time around our mini slump came early enough to arrest it. Overall, we never dropped below second and kept top spot for most of the campaign, however a horrendous Feb/March, in which we only won two from eight league games, meant we relinquished top spot to Appleby Frodingham with five games to go. They lost their next match however, and we won, meaning we had a point lead with a trip to Appleby next up.

getthefin.jpg

I have to say, when we missed the penalty I had my head in my hands, given we were already 0-1 down and playing with ten men. The equaliser was more than enough for me, but we pushed on and grabbed two more late goals to come away with an enormous result. Four points clear with three games to go and a far superior GD, this should've been the title.

Unfortunately, we almost blew it again, conceding three soft goals to draw 3-3 at home to lowly Staveley, and then conceding an 80th minute equaliser at Dunkirk. Appleby won both their games, meaning we went into the final match level on points, needing to match Appleby's result to win the league.

We produced probably our best performance of the season, dismantling Eccleshill at home 5-1 to secure a title which was just about deserved.

Cups

Out again in the first round of qualifying, losing 1-2 at Andover New Street, in the equivalent Wessex League Premier.

Players of note

Raph Sylvester - Another 23 goals to back up last season. Somehow he also led the league in yellow cards, and four of those resulted in two reds and cost him three weeks of wages.

Ash Hodgkinson - Monstered his way to another 14 goals, while also being high up in the league for interceptions (251, 5th) and key headers made (43, 7th).

John Kumar - Stunning season from the teenager, notching 30 assists in the league to go with 13 goals. His set piece delivery was deadly, while he also led the league in key passes with 37.

Steven Lozano-Calderon and Dil Chagger - Continued their fine form down the flanks. Mick notched 17 goals as well, a nice little bonus from the winger.

Beckett Hollenbach - The American assumed the captain's armband in his first season and was very consistent at left back. My only regret was that he played every game, meaning I couldn't say "cos there ain't no Hollenbach, girl" in a press conference after dropping points.

Next season...

It doesn't look like there's a huge step up in class to the next level (Pickering, who won my league last season, finished 2nd) and with a playoff system, I'll aim for a spot in that. But obviously survival is the first goal and hopefully I can start well to assure that as early as possible.

----------

2011/12 - Northern Counties East Premier - 3rd

2012/13 - Northern Counties East Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

My scouts have certainly earnt their crust in the off-season, finding me several excellent prospects...

Ian Brannigan - It's kind of frustrating in the lower leagues when you see a prospect with so many 8s and 9s for his attributes, knowing you're not going to be able to see him reach his potential.

Ibrahim Willinton - Released by Hertford, he looks like he could develop very well.

Elliot Fillery - Signed from Rushall, he is probably not worth the wages but his physicals are very good for this level and he can pick a pass. Young enough to improve his mental attributes too.

Meanwhile, youth product Álvaro Cano Ramos is promoted to the first team after my regular right back is injured, and he has the ability to stake a claim for that spot on merit.

I still have an absolute fortune left in available wage budget if someone special becomes available, but I am fairly happy with my current squad, even affording the luxury of sending a couple out on loan.

After a strong pre-season, we kick things off by deservedly smashing Witton Albion 3-0 at their ground. They are predicted to finish 5th so this bodes well.

Thanks Nobby, hopefully I can hit your heights with Newcastle Town...

---

hoxhashirts.jpg

I didn't even know our club shop did player shirts?!

they just have a marker and are writing it on their school uniforms :p all your shop sells is hot chips and soft drink

facuprun.jpg

A great run after having not won a cup match the past two seasons. We got a bye through the first qualifying round, before beating same tier side Maldon & Tiptree at home, then Staines Town in the tier above away, We rode our luck a little bit against BSS side Bishop's Stortford with a 2-2 draw at their ground, but there was no luck needed in the return leg as Brannigan grabbed a superb hat-trick.

Wigan Robin Park are two tiers below us so there's no excuse for not making the second round proper. After that, who knows? It's giving me fixture congestion I've never had before though.

We lost 1-2, but they had 14 shots to 4 and were quite dominant in general play. Not sure where that result came from, but it doesn't seem to have affected our league form, and fixtures have settled back into one game per week which is refreshing.

January 2014 Update

jan201314.jpg

It's been quite a season so far. Still a bit of work to do to secure the title, but my pre-season goal was the playoffs and that bet looks pretty safe. It would certainly be a big disappointment to get dragged into a playoff battle from here though. We've scored a lot of late goals to accumulate points too, which is the sign of a successful league side.

Apart from our form, the most pleasing thing to come out of the season so far is three players from Hall Road's youth team making first team debuts.

Kumar Watch

Seven goals and 24 assists in 27 games is quite something from the kid still three months shy of his 18th birthday. Still yet to have a club interested in him which baffles me.

---

Nothing really exciting around the rest of the leagues. Man City lead the way in the Prem under the guidance of Sinisa Mihajlovic, after disappointing 6th and 5th placed finishes in the previous two seasons. At the other end of the table, the first ever venture of Cardiff into the top flight looks like it may only be a single season stay.

Birmingham and Peterborough lead a tight Championship promotion fight, while Sheffield Wednesday are running away with League One, with surprise packet Northampton in the other auto promotion spot.

Minnows Ware have done incredibly well with back to back promotions into the BSN, but their stay seems destined to be short.

Archived