I can't think of a title pun, but I'm playing with Hall Road Rangers FC

CityAndColour

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My scouts have come across a real gem on a youth contract at Harborough Town in the 10th tier:

Adam Davis

I really want him, however if I approach to sign it will cost me £5K in compensation. I can turn my remaining wage budget into double that, but I don't feel it's realistic to be paying transfer fees at this level. I might just keep buttering him up in the press and see what happens.

Thanks SRL88

---

Hall Road Rangers FC - 2013/14 - Evo-Stik League Northern Premier League Div. 1 North

Hall%20Road%20Rangers%20FC.gif

----------

Final Standings

final201314.jpg

Simply put, the most dominant season I've ever had on any version of the game. We burst out of the blocks, winning 13 of 14, and the form slump never really came. Only three losses for the season, easily the best attacking and defensive record in the league, and even after clinching the title with three games to go, we won them all for my debut FM 100 point hall as a manager. We scored a lot of late goals, and even when we weren't playing well we were able to grind out results, unlike in seasons past.

With the win I also make the club's favoured personnel:

favpers-1.jpg

Whether that is permanent or just temporary as we over-achieved remains to be seen.

Cups

Our FA Cup run was both satisfying and frustrating. Made the first round on the back of a 5-0 humping of BSS side Bishop's Stortford, then deservedly lost 1-2 at home to level 10 side Wigan RP.

Players of note

Raph Sylvester - Used more as an impact sub, he continued to score goals and rack up cards, as per usual. At one point he scored a hat-trick and then missed the next three games for a two-footed lunge, the lunatic.

Ash Hodgkinson - He's 5'10 and a half, can't jump and can't really head. Yet he just keeps scoring from set pieces.

John Kumar - 39 assists pretty much says it all, as he set up nearly half of our league goals playing in the hole.

Steven Lozano-Calderon - 14 goals from a wing and the most dribbles in the league.

Ian Brannigan - Our top scorer and was especially good in the second half of the season.

We hope you enjoyed your stay...

Veteran midfielder Willie Bolland [49(6) app, 0 gls, 2 ass] retires aged 38, however stays on as a first team coach. Club vice-captain Michael Nwosu [32(48) app, 3 gls, 8 ass] departs after his contract expires. As do my entire youth intake, save for one player I signed as a token gesture.

Next season...

Mid-table is the goal, but a sneaky playoff push is certainly in the back of my mind.

Abdul Koroma - I was disappointed about needing to pay compensation to sign teenager Adam Davis, but two days later my scouts found me this guy, who was out of contract at Brightlingsea Regent. Snapped him up quickly, and he scored on debut in the final match (the league fixturing is a bit out on this add-on so some seasons finish in June). Will be looking to build my attack around he and Kumar next season.

----------

2011/12 - Northern Counties East Premier - 3rd

2012/13 - Northern Counties East Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

2013/14 - Northern Premier League Div. 1 North - 1st (promoted as champions)

Premier League: Man City (Villa, Stoke, Blackburn relegated)

Championship: Ipswich; Birmingham, Swansea (Bristol City, Millwall, Preston)

League One: Sheff Wed; Hull, Northampton (Wycombe, MK Dons, Tranmere, Brentford)

League Two Chesterfield; Macclesfield, Oxford, Stockport (Accrington, York)

BSP: Cheltenham; Grimsby (Hayes & Yeading, Tamworth, Barrow, Eastleigh)

BSN: Braintree; Histon (Southport, Hinkley, Ware)

BSS: Bath; Eastbourne Boro (Dorchester, Weston-super-Mare, Bromley)

Ryman Premier: Billericay (Nobby :D); Canvey Island, Hendon (Carshalton, Concord Rangers, Staines, Hemel Hempstead)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Ascot (Paulton, Barwell, Poole Town, Tiverton)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Frickley; Altrincham (Buxton, North Ferriby, Ossett Town, Vauxhall)

Evo-Stik D1 North: Hall Road Rangers (Bamber Bridge, Brigg Town, Goole)

Evo-Stik D1 South: Mickleover; Rothwell (Loughborough D, Rainworth MW)

Evo-Stik D1 Central: Barton Rovers; Arseley (Beaconsfield, Daventry)

Evo-Stik D1 South/West: Winchester (Wimborne, Bideford)

Ryman D1 North: Maldon & Tiptree; Thurrock, Haringey, Aveley (Soham, Redbridge)

Ryman D1 South: Cray; Horsham (Hythe, Fleet, Whitstable)

As the new season ticks over, Hodgkinson is promoted to an icon and Kumar becomes a club favourite:

favpers2.jpg

---

We will play in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier, and the media has picked up to finish dead last in 22nd. The title fancies are Guiseley, while Southport, Eastwood, Lancaster City and Workington are also predicted to do well.

I like to think the bookies have more of a clue though...

titleodds1415.jpg

---

The board has given me a very healthy wage budget of £2.3K per week just to avoid relegation, of which I still have nearly half to use on strengthening the squad.

England have also climbed to top spot in the world rankings, and have celebrated this unexpected milestone by hiring Stuart Pearce as manager. I think this happens in every game.

Meanwhile, my scouts have found me one of the strangest newgens I've ever seen in terms of positions:

linighanpos.jpg

I can imagine a centre-half making a decent enough battering ram striker (ie - Gary Doherty), but accomplished as an attacking winger on both sides as well? Maybe he just likes flying kites and has modeled his game around that.

Sorry about that Seb! I've noticed a lot of teams only show their full name if I actually go into the club information screen, rather than just off the league table.

---

FAcupwinhw.jpg

For the second year in a row we make the first round of the FA Cup with a win over a BSS side. Up next is a very winnable match against BSN club FC United.

Thanks guys. Bridlington are still banging about in the 9th tier. Pickering on the other hand have risen through the leagues and are in the same 7th tier league as myself.

---

January 2015 Update

jan2015.jpg

I've definitely found this league to be the biggest step-up in quality, but to our credit we've adjusted well and look on course for a playoff place. Good performances in the FA Cup and FA Trophy have meant fixture congestion, but I'll detail those competitions in the end of season review. Either way, we're often playing two games a week which is something we haven't really experienced before, although this will ease up in the second half of the campaign.

Star Man

Teenager Abdul Koroma has been an absolute sensation, breaking Sylvester's Hall Road seasonal goal record by early December and being clearly the most influential attacking player in the league:

koromaleague.jpg

Around the leagues, Leeds are the surprise packets, with a game in hand to overtake Man Utd at the top of the Prem. Blackburn are living up to pre-season predictions and look set for a swift return to the top flight, while Millwall and Bristol City head League One going into the new year. Crewe and Southend both look near certs to get out of League Two, while Wrexham have a six point lead at the top of the BSP. Unfortunately for Nobby, Billericay are propping up the BSS, six points from safety having played a game more than 19th placed Woking.

Here's a little challenge for the eagle-eyed readers - see if you can pinpoint the exact moment when we went from 'likely champions' to 'playoff contenders'.

confusingform.jpg

There's now a rumour going around non-league football that the club is going to change its nickname to the Traffic Lights.

Something like that abulezz. Unfortunately it carried through until the end of the season.

---

Hall Road Rangers FC - 2014/15 - Evo-Stik League Northern Premier League Premier

----------

Final Standings

final201415.jpg

It's very hard to be disappointed when you make the playoffs the year after promotion. But I am gutted really. After 30 games we were sitting five points clear at the top, playing beautiful football, scoring goals and dictating games. We then went to fellow promotion contenders Kendal, bossed them and went in 2-0 up at half time. We continued where we left off but couldn't find that third goal to kill them off. Then bang, corner, header, goal, 2-1. Bang, goal kick, header, striker through, 2-2. Bang, corner, header, goal, 2-3. So we walked away with nothing.

And that was it.

We then went on an eight game winless streak, barely registering a shot on target, conceding countless set pieces, getting outplayed by relegation fodder etc. We managed to scrape together a couple of wins, but the rot had well and truly set in at this point, and we limped into the promotion playoffs.

playoffloss.jpg

We took the lead, then conceded three. We pulled it back to 3-3 with ten to go, and conceded yet another set piece in stoppage time to get knocked out. Not undeservedly either, as Kumar's superb hat-trick pretty much represented the only player to turn up on the afternoon.

Cups

FA Cup - Another run to the first round, which included knocking out BSS side Havant & Waterlooville, but BSN side FC United were too strong, turning our 1-0 half time lead into a 1-3 loss at home.

FA Trophy - A 5-0 drubbing of Harrow sent us through to the first round, but despite grabbing a creditable 1-1 draw with FC Halifax of the BSN, they did us 0-2 in the replay.

Players of note

Abdul Koroma -A stunning season from the striker, notching more than 20 goals before he'd even signed pro terms, and ending up with 34. Unfortunately he was putrid in the last month when we needed him the most.

John Kumar - Another wonderful season from the vice-captain, concluding with a sublime hat-trick in the playoffs.

Steven Lozano-Calderon - Continues to be very effective.

Ibrahim Willinton - Our best defender and took over as the main threat from set pieces.

We hope you enjoyed your stay...

Club favourite Raph Sylvester [77(32) app, 61 gls, 15 ass] leaves after falling down the pecking order. Last season's leading scorer Ian Brannigan [28(35) app, 24 gls, 5 ass] joins him, along with club captain Beckett Hollenbach [122 app, 0 gls, 9 ass] who is retiring. I want to keep him on as my assistant, as he has amazing attributes for the role, but so far he is not interested in discussing terms.

Next season...

Promotion is obviously the goal, but I need to find a way to rid the club of it's complacency problems when we go on a good streak. I'm not a fan of 'sympathising' with my teams if they ruin a good streak with a sloppy bit of defensive play and wastefulness in front of goal, but it seems harsh team talks cause these bad runs to escalate, so we'll see.

----------

2014/15 - Northern Premier League Premier - 4th (lost in playoff semis)

Premier League: Man Utd (Bolton, Birmingham, West Brom relegated)

Championship: Blackburn; Leicester, Middlesbrough (Barnsley, QPR, Nottingham Forest)

League One: Millwall; Bristol City, Bournemouth (Colchester, Bradford, Leyton Orient, Yeovil)

League Two Crewe; Barnet, Luton, Wycombe (Walsall, Shrewsbury)

BSP: Wrexham; Newport County (Bath, Eastbourne Boro, Ebbsfleet, Fleetwood)

BSN: AFC Telford; Barrow (Boston Utd, Northwich, Solihull Moors)

BSS: Welling; Eastleigh (Woking, Hampton & Richmond, Billericay)

Ryman Premier: Kingstonian; Aveley, Bedford (Dulwich Hamet, Tooting & Mitcham, Cray, Lowestoft)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Dorchester (Godalming, Arlesey Town, Oxford City, Totton)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Kendal; Lancaster City (Ilkeston, Dereham, Worksop, Haringey)

Evo-Stik D1 North: Bradford Park Avenue (Burscough, Spennymoor Town, Garforth)

Evo-Stik D1 South: Greenwood; Bartley Green (Sutton Coldfield, Lincoln Utd)

Evo-Stik D1 Central: Buckingham Ath; Banbury, London Lions (North Leigh, Leighton)

Evo-Stik D1 South/West: Dartmouth; Verwood (Halesowen, Sholing)

Ryman D1 North: Irlam; Needham Market (Tilbury, Thamesmead)

Ryman D1 South: Lewisham Borough, Runcorn Linnets (Chipstead, Walton Casuals, Burgess Hill)

Bad luck on just missing out, I think most of us FM'ers have been there when a team just suddenly implodes for seemingly no real reason. It's not much fun for sure.

Still, hopefully you can get that consistency over a whole year next season and go up.

Well, this pre-sesaon has taken a very exciting turn...

One my my average scouts left at the end of his contact, so a job ad went out, and an equally average scout replaced him. I say average until he delivered me his first scouting report, which allowed me to snap up the following players...

Tarik Naïmi - I'm not sure what was harder to believe. That a 17-year-old like this could be sitting unattached, that he had no leagues clubs sniffing around or that his previous and only club to date yet was Bly Spartans (not to be confused with Blyth Spartans). I had to stack up the bonuses to get him on such a small wage but he is immediately my best player.

Note - It does feel a little unrealistic signing a player like this at this level, but my scouts found him and I'm not going to leave him for another club to snap up...

Matty Hanlon - At 25 he won't improve too much, and he spent last season at Wodson Park, but he'll slot straight in as my first choice keeper.

Have just figured out that the rounds of the FA Cup are a little bit out, so I haven't actually been making the first round of the FA Cup. It is set as follows, with the proper rounds on the left and as they appear in my save on the right:

Extra Preliminary Round = First Round Qualifying

Preliminary Round = Second Round Qualifying

First Round Qualifying = Third Round Qualifying

Second Round Qualifying = Fourth Round Qualifying

Third Round Qualifying = 1st Round

Fourth Round Qualifying = 2nd Round

So in actual fact, the 1st round proper of the FA Cup will be represented in my updates as the 3rd round, and the 5th round is when EPL clubs enter.

Make sense.....?!

I only noticed myself when I saw the FA Cup going to seven rounds before the semis!

---

creweloss2.jpg

Very proud of the team after this. Crewe are in L1 so four divisions above us, and we not only grabbed an equaliser, but also had a couple of shots cleared off the line for 2-2 in the last ten minutes. They certainly deserved the win as they wasted a lot of chances, but we were certainly not embarrassed.

Howard Webb refereed too. From the World Cup Final to Hall Road Rangers. What a climb for the former copper.

January 2016 Update

jan201516.jpg

Pretty solid first half of the season. We started slowly but have built momentum as the squad has gotten full fitness and shook off injury troubles. Playoffs look fairly safe, but I'll be disappointed if we don't go up as we have one of, if not the strongest team in the division.

Koroma has led the way with 14 goals (most of them in the last two months after starting with two long scoring droughts) while Kumar has been great in his first season as captain, and Hanlon has been predictably solid between the posts.

Around the leagues, Chelsea have a commanding seven point gap at the top of the EPL, while Stoke and Birmingham have the same margin ahead of 3rd in the Championship. Doncaster are the best of a close bunch in League One, and Rotherham lead the way in League Two. Burton have a four point lead atop the Conference, which makes my FA Cup win even more impressive, while it's the Fleets, Fleetwood and Ebbsfleet who lead the BSN/S.

Perth are dominating the A-League, with ten points separating it and second-placed Sydney after only 15 rounds.

Hall Road Rangers FC - 2015/16 - Evo-Stik League Northern Premier League Premier

----------

Final Standings

final201516.jpg

graph1516.jpg

As you can see, we started slowly, as our end of season form carried into the new campaign, and we lost four of our first eight games. However, once we hit top we didn't relinquish it, although I think the largest gap we had on second was only seven points, as we tended to drop points anytime we had the chance to lay a real marker down.

I mentioned the morale issue in my previous post and it was very evident how much it has been toned down on this patch. Almost immediately my players all went to 'okay' and 'good' and stayed that way, even as we won games to strengthen our hold on top spot. Which of course led to some poor displays, however Boston United choked down the stretch too so we clinched the title with two games to spare, and iced the cake by beating them on the final day to finish with a pretty flattering nine-point title win.

Cups

FA Cup - A sensational run. We actually did make the first round legitimately this season, knocking out Burton of the BSP in the 4th qualifying round before giving League One side Crewe a real run at their place.

FA Trophy - We didn't compete in it this season, which I am guessing is an issue with the database.

Players of note

As I've reached my first goal of making the BSN, I'm going to do a full squad profile for the season just gone.

Next season...

Survival is the goal, although we certainly have the quality to make a decent run. The next step is getting into league football but I'm giving myself a minimum of five seasons to achieve that.

----------

2014/15 - Northern Premier League Premier - 4th (lost in playoff semis)

2015/16 - Northern Counties League Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

Premier League: Chelsea (Middlesbrough, Leicester, Reading relegated)

Championship: Birmingham; Southampton, Stoke (Wigan, Millwall, Crystal Palace)

League One: Preston; Doncaster, Wycombe (Coventry, Stockport, Barnet, Macclesfield)

League Two Rotherham; Yeovil, MK Dons, Cheltenham (Tranmere, Morecambe)

FA Cup: Newcastle (Chelsea runners-up)

League Cup: Sunderland (Arsenal)

Johnstone's Paint: Brighton (Coventry)

BSP: York; Dagenham & Redbridge (Alfreton, Braintree, Welling, Walsall)

BSN: Fleetwood; Tamworth (Corby, Bedford, Frickley)

BSS: Ebbsfleet; Truro (Farnborough, Chippenham, Bishop's Stortford)

FA Trophy: Salisbury (Accrington)

Ryman Premier: Woking; AFC Sudbury (Horsham, AFC Hornchurch, Harrow, Hastings Utd)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Bartley Green; Chesham, Verwood (Rugby Town, Brackley, Solihull Moors, Winchester)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Hall Road Rangers (AFC Fylde, Marine, Workington, Runcorn Linnets)

---

UEFA Champions League: Barcelona (Internazionale)

Europa League: Werder Bremen (Tottenham)

Super Cup: Barcelona (Tottenham)

Hall Road Rangers promotion squad 2015/16

Goalkeepers

Matty Hanlon

Appearances: 42 league, 6 cup

Key stat(s): 20 clean sheets (1st in league), 0.9 goals conceded per 90 mins

Contract status: Signed through 2017/18, highest paid player at the club

Had an excellent season between the sticks, conceding less than a goal a game and having the most clean sheets in the league. He also proved to be durable, playing every minute of every match. He will be key for our fortunes in the BSN.

Jordan Tebbutt

Appearances: Nil

Contract status: Expiring and won't be renewed

He's been a loyal servant, notching 127 club appearances, however his contract is expiring and he will be released to find first team football. I'll look to replace him as back-up with a younger prospect next season.

Fullbacks

Tyrone Carter

Appearances: 38 league, 6 cup

Key stat(s): 7.09 avg rating, 3.02 tackles per game

Contract status: Signed through 2017/18

Named club vice-captain and certainly didn't let anyone down in the role. He can play both full-back spots and will be a key player next season. Certainly not a strong player on the ball, but he does his defensive duties without any fuss and is ultra-consistent.

Arkadiusz Kielb

Appearances: 17(13) league, 5 cup

Key stat(s): 2 goals, 5.31 tackles per game (3rd in league)

Contract status: Signed through 2016/17

A Polish under 21 international who was born in Derby, he certainly wasn't overawed by a first team spot and proved himself to be very strong in the tackle. A very bright prospect and will provide Carter with strong competition for the left-back berth.

Osei Turkson

Appearances: 17 league

Key stat(s): 4.52 tackles per game

My scouts found him in January after being released by Birmingham's youth team the previous summer. He is an outstanding prospect, and while too small to play in the middle of defence, he should hold down right-back for many seasons to come.

Zak Martin

Appearances: 11(3) league, 2(1) cup

Key stat(s): 4.09 tackles per game

Signed as a back-up and, with left-back probably the strongest position in the squad, won't be retained after his contract expires.

Centre Halves

Ibrahim Willinton

Appearances: 40 league, 6 cup

Key stat(s): 10 goals, 7.09 avg rating, 18 key tackles (=6th in league)

Contract status: Expiring, in negotiations

His bad games were shockers, and he was fined twice during the season for poor performance, but for the most part he was excellent at the back. A big threat from set pieces and one of the first names on the team sheet. Unfortunately, he is one of the few players in the squad with an agent, who is making things difficult in terms of re-signing as he wants a large agent fee which I'm not prepared to pay.

Timothy Jeffrey

Appearances: 41 league, 6 cup

Key stat(s): 7.30 avg rating in the FA Cup

This young man continues to impress, only missing one game all season. I'm hoping his physicals will start to improve next season as he plays in a higher division.

Ashley Hodgkinson

Appearances: 2(3) league, 0(1) cup

A club icon, unfortunately he is now out of his depth. I'll certainly be sad to see him go after 145 appearances and 41 goals, but he wants first team football so I've promised I'll let him depart.

Central Midfielders (defensive)

Kieran Marshall

Appearances: 34(6) league, 5(1) cup

Key stat(s): 86% pass completion (1st in league)

Very dependable, and can deputise at right-back or even at centre-half if required. Doesn't play outside his passing range and is always available to take a pass from the back four

Rory Frawley

Appearances: 25(10) league, 6 cup

Key stat(s): 2.59 tackles per game, 81% pass completion

The Irishman provided excellent depth and got his fair share of starts too. A similar player to Marshall without the defensive versatility.

Erald Hoxha

Appearances: 2(14) league, 0(4) cup

Key stat(s): 2.89 tackles per game

Contract status: Expiring and unlikely to be renewed

Unfortunately, the Albanian didn't develop as I would have liked and found himself down the pecking order this season. His only chance of winning a new deal is if I can't find any better central midfielders in the summer and need the depth.

Thanks City2000, thankfully we weren't the only side affected by 12.1!

---

Wingers

Craig Breen

Appearances: 23(10) league, 5(1) cup

Key stat(s): 10 goals, 2.26 dribbles per game

Took advantage of injuries to stake a claim on the left wing, and certainly disappoint. Scored a hat-trick and was always a goal threat with late runs into the box.

Steven Lozano-Calderon

Appearances: 13(7) league

Key stat(s): 2.61 dribbles per game

Contract status: Expiring, may not be renewed

He's been a wonderful player for the club, but had a season wrecked by injuries and could never get a consistent run between them. He wants a pay rise which is unlikely, but will see how recruiting goes before making a decision on his future.

Dil Chagger

Appearances: 22(13) league, 3 cup

Key stat(s): 10 assists, 7.77 avg rating in the FA Cup

A reasonable campaign, although I fear he may have found his level as he was very inconsistent in the league. He was instrumental in our cup run however, with 2 goals and 2 assists in 3 starts.

Attacking Midfielders

John Kumar

Appearances: 34(2) league, 5(1) cup

Key stat(s): 16 goals, 19 assists (2nd in league with 17), 7.28 avg rating (2nd in league), 29 key passes (=2nd in league)

Contract status: Signed through 2016/17, will open contract talks soon

Maybe his best season yet. I made him club captain and he felt he was too young, which impacted his performances early on, but once he hit his stride he was outstanding. He became more of a goal threat than previous years, the highlight being a 23-minute hat-trick at Runcorn Linnets, and my biggest regret was injury robbing him of the chance to play in the match which clinched the title.

Tarik Naïmi

Appearances: 32(1) league, 3(1) cup

Key stat(s): 9 assists, 84% pass completion (3rd in league), 24 key passes (=9th in league)

Contract status: Signed through 2016/17, will open contract talks soon

His numbers don't indicate just how important this guy was. Rotating between a deep-lying play-maker role and deputising for Kumar in attack, his composure and ability to pick the right pass stood out enormously. Will be looking to tie him down to a longer deal very soon.

Strikers

Abdul Koroma

Appearances: 38 league, 5 cup

Key stat(s): 17 goals, 11 assists, 7.09 avg rating

Contract status: Signed through 2017/18

He suffered a bit of second year blues as teams worked out how to play him, but to his credit he turned provider when he wasn't scoring, adding 11 assists after only 2 last season. Had a tendency to go on long goalless runs, and has not scored in his last seven, while most of his goals came in a mid-season purple patch. He certainly has time to develop though, having only just turned 18.

Nicky Ward

Appearances: 30(6) league, 3(1) cup

Key stat(s): 15 goals

Mainly played right wing but provided back-up to Koroma up front, and showed he has a nose for goals, highlighted by scoring 4 against Mickleover early in the season.

Archived